The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+18
ralphjohn69
superflyweight
JuliusHMarx
TM2K
Shotrock
Eyetoldyouso
JAS
Davie
pedro
dynamark
westisbest
I'm never wrong
BlueCoverman
navyblueshorts
McLaren
super_realist
Soul Requiem
beninho
22 posters

Page 13 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 13 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by beninho Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:46 pm

First topic message reminder :

8 bronze badges
The problem states, "If I buy two tickets with different numbers" – msinghal Jul 22 '15 at 6:40
Correct. I just wanted to clarify this explicitly, since this apparently causes the confusion in the internet the OP was writing about... – Bernhard Jul 22 '15 at 7:38
So let me get this right. If I have a 1 in 14 million of chance of winning the lottery, if I buy a further ticket with a different sequence of numbers to the first one for the same draw my chance of winning is slashed to 1 in 7 million? – Rickie Jul 22 '15 at 8:16
Yes, that is correct. – Bernhard Jul 22 '15 at 8:23

beninho

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 13 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by McLaren Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:15 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:Out of interest did you go to a university?

Yes, a Russell group one.

How about you?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 13 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Soul Requiem Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:22 pm

McLaren wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:Out of interest did you go to a university?

Yes, a Russell group one.

How about you?

As did I for my sins.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:54 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
McLaren wrote:Navy

Free speech is about saying whatever you want without you falling foul of the law. With the obvious exceptions.

The right to free speech is getting complety mixed up with the right to a platform in this discussion.

You don't have the right to a platform you have the right to avoid prosecution for what you say. And in the UK there are actually quite a few exceptions to that.

And another thing that confuses people about free speech is that it does not guarantee you any avoidance of repercussions or consequences.
What part of UK universities being taxpayer-funded and based on an ethos of equal opportunities for debate did you miss? It is not a forum where some left-wing cretins get to no-platform people. It's also worse when previously booked speakers are 'cancelled' because some wet weekend of a twit doesn't like something a potential speaker has said in the past. You're missing the point here re. universities.

This is the central point of the issue - when people are invited to speak at Universities, but intimidation from a loutish minority causes that invitation to be rescinded. That is what needs to be prevented. And it's not just people considered to be on the right that have been on the end of this, but people on the left of politics too.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:58 pm

beninho wrote:It seems that the no platform stance has been around for years, initially against people like Enoch Powell.

Yes, indeed, around for decades. Once when there was a loud protest against Enoch at a University, he gave the memorable retort of 'I hope those who shouted "Fascist" and "Nazi" are aware that before they were born I was fighting against Fascism and Nazism."

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:18 pm

If people don't want someone to speak at a University and make it known, and a vote is held by whoever invited them and they decide to withdraw the invite, is that unlawful?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:31 pm

Why would anyone need to let it be known in the first place?

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:03 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:Why would anyone need to let it be known in the first place?

People have views, people like to express them. You, and me, are proof of that.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:32 pm

They like to express their views in such a way as to stifle the views of those they disagree with?

Soul Requiem

pedro likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:41 pm

Freedom of speech innit. I'm sure you wouldn't want to Stifle the views of people you disagree with.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:42 pm

Not able to argue that point then Ben?

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:47 pm

Not really sure what your point is. People can express views however they want. Isnt that what people want? Express your views and opinions.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:50 pm

My point hasn't changed though. I think the whole thing is a nonsense.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:26 am

Thinking about it, I'm glad the education secretary has little to worry about with schools at the moment, so that he can put his effort into something so important.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:52 am

https://www.thejc.com/news/uk/bristol-university-professor-calls-for-end-of-zionism-as-functioning-ideology-of-the-world-1.511837

Now, this guy should be nowhere near teaching anyone. But, hey, it's free speech I guess. I'm not sure I agree that he shoukd be able to sue if he has any offer of speaking rescinded.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:25 am

On another note. Happy Pancake day!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:55 am

I wish pancakes were a religion Ben- theres more sense in that than most .Reports in Leicester that certain groups are declining vaccine as they think it contains pork gelatine.I have mine this afternoon back down the pub in 2 weeks or perhaps not

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:47 pm

beninho wrote:https://www.thejc.com/news/uk/bristol-university-professor-calls-for-end-of-zionism-as-functioning-ideology-of-the-world-1.511837

Now, this guy should be nowhere near teaching anyone. But, hey, it's free speech I guess. I'm not sure I agree that he shoukd be able to sue if he has any offer of speaking rescinded.
Rolling Eyes Who on Earth do you think you are to decide that? This is exactly the problem and evidence that attending a Russell Group university is no guarantee that those institutions are in any way perfect.

No, I'm not going to waste any energy on what this guy claims so that you can present whataboutery while claiming it doesn't really bother you.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:28 pm

Navy

"An investigation by The Times last June also showed he had shared conspiracy theories about the White Helmet rescuers in Syria, the Salisbury bombings by Russia and the origins of coronavirus."

You would probably prefer not to pay the thousands it takes to send your kid to university and then have them fed that rubbish.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:35 pm

Russia bombed Salisbury?

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:41 pm

Davie wrote:Russia bombed Salisbury?

How did you miss that?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:00 pm

I remember a poisoning, not a bombing

Davie

navyblueshorts likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:15 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
beninho wrote:https://www.thejc.com/news/uk/bristol-university-professor-calls-for-end-of-zionism-as-functioning-ideology-of-the-world-1.511837

Rolling Eyes Who on Earth do you think you are to decide that? This is exactly the problem and evidence that attending a Russell Group university is no guarantee that those institutions are in any way perfect.

No, I'm not going to waste any energy on what this guy claims so that you can present whataboutery while claiming it doesn't really bother you.

Hi, just to clarify, I have no say in who this guy works for. My views have no impact on his job. But, I do have concerns about soneobe, who appears to have issues with the Jews teaching people. But then I also would have issues with holocaust deniers, and other strong, bordering on extremist views.

But, im not a free speecher brigade.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:27 pm

Former Labour member in antisemitism shocker.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:06 pm

Sad attempt to undermine #metoo. Are there no depths the MRA's won't sink to?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/feb/16/half-men-unwanted-sexual-experiences-uk-study-mankind
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:15 pm

McLaren wrote:Sad attempt to undermine #metoo. Are there no depths the MRA's won't sink to?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/feb/16/half-men-unwanted-sexual-experiences-uk-study-mankind

Does sexual abuse not matter when a male is the victim?

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:16 am

https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/1361749813419794432?s=19

It seems Farage will never go away. So, is he thick enough to believe that there is an EU human rights act, or does he just think his followers will believe and lap it up. (They seem to be doing just that)

Is it just a distraction from the dawning reality that brexit is and will be a sh*tshow, so he's deciding to throw in Islamic terrorists to froth up his followers a bit.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:55 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:
McLaren wrote:Sad attempt to undermine #metoo. Are there no depths the MRA's won't sink to?

Does sexual abuse not matter when a male is the victim?
Clearly not, but would we expect Mac to see the problem in that position? Mac's trying to conflate an article that doesn't even mention that Tw@tter campaign w/ a pet subject of his.

What I found odd re. that article is that the guy in it talks of abuse as a child, which I would exclude from any #MeToo stuff. That's paedophilia, therefore illegal, not open to interpretation and I'm not sure I can recall it being said that there's so much distinction between the sexes affected there.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:38 pm

Navy

Don't worry, I was just hoping for some fall out from that post to generate some debate. I will try again with something else.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:43 pm

Don't worry, I was just hoping for some fall out from that post to generate some debate. I will try again with something else.
I wouldn't bother OK.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

westisbest likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:18 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:

I wouldn't bother OK.

Laugh

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:20 pm

Mac has been cancelled!

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:48 pm

Navy

Are you trying to stifle my free speech?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:05 pm

Anyone going to watch the Britney Spears documentary later?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:49 pm

I'm not a lawyer, but I do deal with court hearings and proceedings. How have the government wasted over 200k fighting a court case, when they knew they had acted unlawfully and breached the regulations. Its as bad as any of the dodgy deals they gave done in the last year.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:14 pm

If only! Laugh

I'm just gently suggesting that given how good the points you sometimes make are, you might spend the time more wisely? Wink

Nah. We just disagree on stuff, which is fine. All the fun of the fair...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:15 pm

beninho wrote:I'm not a lawyer, but I do deal with court hearings and proceedings. How have the government wasted over 200k fighting a court case, when they knew they had acted unlawfully and breached the regulations.  Its as bad as any of the dodgy deals they gave done in the last year.
Perhaps you could let us in on the gag? What court case?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:18 pm

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1362777489018417152?s=19

JR hearing I think.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:29 pm

beninho wrote:https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1362777489018417152?s=19

JR hearing I think.
Ahh. Yeah, just read that on Beeb web site as it happens. Seems like there wasn't really any defence so a bit of a waste of more money. Still, if they arguably wasted 100s of millions, what's a few 100k? I find Hancock a bit odd - I think he's done well in many ways through this pandemic, but at other times he seems just as bad as many of the others.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:58 pm

My favourite Hancock moment was the weird crying episode on breakfast tv.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:05 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:

If only! :laugh:

I'm just gently suggesting that given how good the points you sometimes make are, you might spend the time more wisely? ;)

Nah. We just disagree on stuff, which is fine. All the fun of the fair...

If only I had something to spend my time more wisely on. I guess the golf season starts relatively soon.

And someone had to fill the Super realist role, of being someone for me to constantly squabble with.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:06 pm

beninho wrote:I'm not a lawyer, but I do deal with court hearings and proceedings. How have the government wasted over 200k fighting a court case, when they knew they had acted unlawfully and breached the regulations.  Its as bad as any of the dodgy deals they gave done in the last year.

Are you aware the the Megan and Harry have been removed from the royal family permanently, that is the really serious news story of the day.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:05 am

McLaren wrote:Are you aware the the Megan and Harry have been removed from the royal family permanently, that is the really serious news story of the day.
Wrong Mac. Kim Kardashian and Kanye West.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:06 am

McLaren wrote:

Are you aware the the Megan and Harry have been removed from the royal family permanently, that is the really serious news story of the day.

I can't see how that is leading the news, I also can't get my head round the issues people have with them. And tge newspapers after she won the court case against them were pretty terrible.

Though in all honesty my levels of care for them are practically nothing.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:07 am

Schools to reopen from 8th March. Now, surely this will be phased and not just a straight, everyone off you go.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:12 am

Football Manager has been a great refind for lockdown. 27 years at Cowdenbeath. Champions league winners. Greatest game ever invented.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:08 am

beninho wrote:I can't see how that is leading the news, I also can't get my head round the issues people have with them.

Want to drop out of public life.....yet appear on the Oprah Winfrey Show. Double standards.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:31 am

I'm never wrong wrote:
beninho wrote:I can't see how that is leading the news, I also can't get my head round the issues people have with them.

Want to drop out of public life.....yet appear on the Oprah Winfrey Show. Double standards.

When did they say they were going to be hermits? Was it not just dropping out of royal life, and moving away from England. Its like people moaned because they released a picture regarding the pregnancy yet didn't want the press getting private information l. Nothing wrong with wanting to manage your own life.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:37 am

Managing a new life by cashing in on your old life, so virtuous of them.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:09 am

Soul Requiem wrote:Managing a new life by cashing in on your old life, so virtuous of them.

So, you have an issue with them?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:12 pm

beninho wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:Managing a new life by cashing in on your old life, so virtuous of them.

So, you have an issue with them?

I consider them to be no different to the Kardashians to be honest.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16 ... 20  Next