The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

F1 2021 Season

+12
Soul Requiem
dummy_half
CaledonianCraig
Fernando
Eyetoldyouso
Lowlandbrit
dyrewolfe
Fluxy
thebandwagonsociety
GSC
Good Golly I'm Olly
No name Bertie
16 posters

Page 13 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

F1 2021 Season - Page 13 Empty F1 2021 Season

Post by Guest Thu 07 Jan 2021, 2:33 pm

First topic message reminder :

The season opening Australian Grand Prix & the Chinese Grand Prix have been postponed.

Bahrain Grand Prix on the 28th March to be the first race of the 2021 season.

Formula 1 to revert to 2pm race start times at European races this year.

F1 practice sessions will be shortened to one hour during Fridays across the 2021 season.

Cognizant have been announced as Aston Martin’s new title sponsor. They will be called ‘Aston Martin Cognizant Formula One Team’.

Alex Albon will drive in DTM this season, on selected race weekends

Lando Norris has confirmed he has contracted Covid, while staying in, Dubai.

Last edited by Just John on Tue 12 Jan 2021, 9:15 am; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

F1 2021 Season - Page 13 Empty Re: F1 2021 Season

Post by No name Bertie Sun 12 Sep 2021, 6:08 pm

Giovinazzi in the Alpha Romeo had a great start getting past Sainz to go P6, but then overcooked a chicane and when returning onto the track had a collision with Sainz who was on the racing line and that basically ended Giovinazzi's race and search for points.   Russell finished in the points again finishing 9th.  Bottas carved through the field finishing third.  Ricciardo had a stormer of a race getting past Verstappen from the start and then more or less leading every lap.  Not sure what happened with Verstappen's pit stop but that basically threw him back down the field.  Then we had the incident which the stewards decided was ultimately Verstappens fault hence the grid penalty for the next race.   A 5 second penalty for Perez which saw him finishing 5th.

McLaren move ahead of Ferrari in the constructors championship - third by 13.5 points.  Norris in fourth place in the drivers championship 14 points ahead of Perez.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 12 Sep 2021, 6:12 pm

Giovinazzi fate seems sealed now. He’s shown good qualifying pace but in the races it seems to unravel every time.
Renault junior driver Ghou’s sponsors have offered $30m to take Giovinazzi’s seat.

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Sun 12 Sep 2021, 6:20 pm

ps Very bad day for Alpha Tauri. Seems the Gasly sprint race crash destroyed too much of his car and they were unable to get all the new parts working properly. Gasly had qualified P6 for the sprint race but it went wrong for him in the sprint race. Not sure what happened with Tsunoda.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 13 Sep 2021, 9:20 am

Soul Requiem wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Looked a racing incident to me - calls on here for race bans, hilarious

Delighted for McLaren and Riccardo - what a weekend for them! :)

His stupidity endangered a fellow racer, not at all a racing incident.

This is another Verstappen incident where you can try and work out whether by the letter of the law he had the "right" to be there or you can think about whether he should have been there at all. His one weakness might be the inability to think of the bigger picture in the heat of the moment.

The prime example would be when he got involved in a tangle with the lapped Ocon while leading in Brazil in 2018. He could have waited at most one lap to pass him under blues or engage in battle straight away. Likewise at Silverstone this year he chose to hang it out around the outside of copse instead of just biding his time, tucking in behind and having a pop back at Hamilton at a more suitable part of the track.

I think Verstappen is engaged in some macho mindset that leaves him thinking he has to "be a man" during every close encounter on the track, when in reality this lack of cool and calm thinking in close combat is the only thing that will stop him winning championships.
McLaren
McLaren

dyrewolfe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 13 Sep 2021, 10:22 am

There's a pattern going back to the original BBC forum of the other driver being where they shouldn't or lacking race craft in every collision Lewis seems to be involved with. Here Max at fault, at Silverstone if we now start applying our new criteria, not so much.

Maybe we should ask the new Williams driver for his review of those areas, again if we want to be partisan I'm sure there are many fan clubs online, otherwise gonna echo the last call for consistency (in vain)
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 13 Sep 2021, 10:41 am

GSC

As I said, Max was probably within his rights to have a pop there based on the rules. But I would ask what the point was? When you weight up the risks it just doesn't make sense to go for that type of overtake.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 Sep 2021, 10:47 am

McLaren wrote:But I would ask what the point was? When you weight up the risks it just doesn't make sense to go for that type of overtake.

The problem is, he feels entitled to every corner. The comment, ‘that’s what happens when you don’t leave me enough room’, is evidence of that. He was still raging from that pitstop, and given his hot headed nature, it was no surprise he went for that reckless move. Horner & Marko were unsurprisingly very quiet, post-race

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 Sep 2021, 6:22 pm

Charles LeClerc will sign new deal with the Scuderia. Current deal expires at the end of 2024. New deal takes that until 2026.
Red Bull had been sniffing around Ferrari’s main man. LeClerc hasn’t shown any interest in leaving Ferrari.

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Tue 14 Sep 2021, 8:56 am

McLaren wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Looked a racing incident to me - calls on here for race bans, hilarious

Delighted for McLaren and Riccardo - what a weekend for them! Smile

His stupidity endangered a fellow racer, not at all a racing incident.

This is another Verstappen incident where you can try and work out whether by the letter of the law he had the "right" to be there or you can think about whether he should have been there at all. His one weakness might be the inability to think of the bigger picture in the heat of the moment.

The prime example would be when he got involved in a tangle with the lapped Ocon while leading in Brazil in 2018. He could have waited at most one lap to pass him under blues or engage in battle straight away. Likewise at Silverstone this year he chose to hang it out around the outside of copse instead of just biding his time, tucking in behind and having a pop back at Hamilton at a more suitable part of the track.

I think Verstappen is engaged in some macho mindset that leaves him thinking he has to "be a man" during every close encounter on the track, when in reality this lack of cool and calm thinking in close combat is the only thing that will stop him winning championships.

This exactly.

I don't think the argument is so much about whether drivers have the "right" or not to be in a particular position, or attempt an overtake. I mean this is racing and drivers should be trying to overtake at every (sensible) opportunity.

Its more about racecraft and/or simple common sense.  Its about recognising when 2 cars won't fit into a particular part of the track and being prepared to back out, if necessary. Basically is there a high risk of a collision, resulting in DNFs for one or both drivers involved?

As McLaren said - is it worth risking a DNF in the first 10-15 laps of a race, or is it better to back out and try to work another opportunity over the next 30-40 laps?

As I said in an earlier post, Verstappen seems to lack this crucial element to his driving. Compare and contrast the way Hamilton backed out of a similar situation on the first lap, driving across the kerbs and rejoining the track behind Max, when he got squeezed off. Incident avoided and both drivers were able to continue.

I was thinking this might be a case of the red mist descending after RB messed up Max's pit stop. While it undoubtedly didn't help his mindset, he has shown similar reckless behaviour in the past.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Tue 14 Sep 2021, 9:36 am

For the incident at Silverstone (1st sprint race weekend) Hamilton got a five place grid penalty.  In that incident Verstappen crashed out while Hamilton was fine.  Verstappen was taken to hospital for checkups and apart from maybe some bruising was fine.

For the incident at Monza (2nd sprint race weekend) Verstappen got a three place grid penalty.  In that incident both Verstappen and Hamilton's races were ended.  Hamilton appears to have sustained some sort of minor neck or shoulder damage - I don't think he was taken to a hospital for a checkup.  However the halo saved him from much further damage.

These penalties are considered to be relatively minor given the penalties available.  So the stewards deemed these incidents to be more than racing incidents and worthy of minor penalties on the person considered to be most at fault.

What is it about these sprint race weekends?  Next one is in Brazil (12 Nov - 14 Nov).
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 14 Sep 2021, 10:39 am

No name Bertie wrote:For the incident at Silverstone (1st sprint race weekend) Hamilton got a five place grid penalty.  In that incident Verstappen crashed out while Hamilton was fine.

What is it about these sprint race weekends?  Next one is in Brazil (12 Nov - 14 Nov).

He didn’t get a five place grid penalty, he got a 10-second time penalty during the race.

Apparently, eight sprint races are pencilled in for, 2022. They offer absolutely nothing, other than randomly destroying an unlucky driver’s entire weekend, or even worse, two drivers from one team, as seen with AlphaTauri in Monza. Poor ticket sales at Monza, also suggests, that it’s not appealing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 14 Sep 2021, 11:26 am

Just Gareth wrote:
No name Bertie wrote:For the incident at Silverstone (1st sprint race weekend) Hamilton got a five place grid penalty.  In that incident Verstappen crashed out while Hamilton was fine.

He didn’t get a five place grid penalty, he got a 10-second time penalty during the race.

Apparently, eight sprint races are pencilled in for, 2022. They offer absolutely nothing, other than randomly destroying an unlucky driver’s entire weekend, or even worse, two drivers from one team, as seen with AlphaTauri in Monza. Poor ticket sales at Monza, also suggests, that it’s not appealing.
Poor ticket sales are due to the extortionate cost the circuit wanted for tickets this year. They are trying to claw back last years lost revenue in a moronic manner. Italy, much like the rest of the world, screwed after Covid. Our people can’t afford to go to Monza at the prices they now want.
If they keep up such bs behaviour it won’t too long before Ferrari takes the Italian GP to Mugello permanently...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 14 Sep 2021, 11:27 am

No name Bertie wrote:ps Very bad day for Alpha Tauri.  Seems the Gasly sprint race crash destroyed too much of his car and they were unable to get all the new parts working properly.  Gasly had qualified P6 for the sprint race but it went wrong for him in the sprint race.  Not sure what happened with Tsunoda.  
Tsunoda had a brake failure. They couldn't change the system in time.

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Tue 14 Sep 2021, 11:34 am

Just Gareth wrote:

I now realize I mixed this up with Bottas' penalty for wiping out the Red Bulls and Lando Norris at Hungary. OK
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 14 Sep 2021, 2:14 pm

Went back and had a look at Hamilton overtaking Kimi out of turn 1 and into turn 2 in 2018 and thought the difference between that move and Max's was quite interesting.

I have taken a screen grab from each incident at the point the cars pass a orange bit of tarmac on the inside of turn 1.

Here is Hamilton passing Kimi in 2018
F1 2021 Season - Page 13 Kimiha10

And here is Max trying to pass Hamilton this year.
F1 2021 Season - Page 13 Hamver10

You can see that Hamilton has got at least a metre or so of his car past Kimi while max is only just half way along Hamilton's car.  Again, maybe Max could demand Hamilton yield in some interpretation of the rules but if you compare these moves it is clear that Max just wasn't in a position to carry out an overtake safely.  Even if that were not an incredibly tight corner at the end of a chicane he would be coming from quite far back.

Full videos (Where you can also see how the cars line up in the braking zone for turn 1)

Ham/Kimi

Max/Ham
McLaren
McLaren

No name Bertie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 14 Sep 2021, 3:01 pm

I thought any part of the car alongside means you have to leave room 🤔
GSC
GSC

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Tue 14 Sep 2021, 3:09 pm

The race stewards analyzed it using all the data, telemetry, video angles they could muster and determined that Verstappen was at fault.  I am happy to go along with that.   At Silverstone they determined that Hamilton was at fault - again I am happy to go along with that.

Given the outcome maybe Hamilton is better at these things than Verstappen given Hamilton was able to continue.   That aside - these were both potentially extremely serious collisions in terms of potential for bodily harm.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 14 Sep 2021, 3:58 pm

I don’t really think the Raikkonen-Hamilton move and the Verstappen-Hamilton crash are really similar.

Hamilton and Raikkonen both at full speed, Hamilton had the slipstream/DRS so it was in a sense an easier move as Raikkonen was pretty much defenceless.

Verstappen and Hamilton is an entirely different situation. As Hamilton was never at full speed as he exited the pit lane and obviously that’s close in proximity to T1.
Verstappen was at absolute full speed - DRS and slipstream.
So the closing speed was massive which is why the both ended up in the same piece of track.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 16 Sep 2021, 9:51 am

Aston Martin has finally confirmed Vettel and Stroll Jr for 2022.

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Thu 16 Sep 2021, 6:39 pm

GSC wrote:I thought any part of the car alongside means you have to leave room 🤔

My understanding was that the other driver has to be far enough alongside to have a reasonable chance of overtaking. But my knowledge isn't great on this.

In any case, someone needs to tell Max that. He can't squeeze other drivers off the track and then complain when they do the same to him.

I have a feeling Hamilton would have left more room, but was giving Max a taste of his own medicine. Possibly also decided to put the squeeze on due to being his title rival.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Thu 16 Sep 2021, 6:41 pm

No name Bertie wrote:The race stewards analyzed it using all the data, telemetry, video angles they could muster and determined that Verstappen was at fault.  I am happy to go along with that.   At Silverstone they determined that Hamilton was at fault - again I am happy to go along with that.

Given the outcome maybe Hamilton is better at these things than Verstappen given Hamilton was able to continue.   That aside - these were both potentially extremely serious collisions in terms of potential for bodily harm.

I almost had to look away when I saw the rear wheel on Verstappen's car spinning so close to Hamilton's head. That was seriously scary.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 16 Sep 2021, 7:23 pm

dyrewolfe wrote:
GSC wrote:I thought any part of the car alongside means you have to leave room 🤔

My understanding was that the other driver has to be far enough alongside to have a reasonable chance of overtaking. But my knowledge isn't great on this.

In any case, someone needs to tell Max that. He can't squeeze other drivers off the track and then complain when they do the same to him.

I have a feeling Hamilton would have left more room, but was giving Max a taste of his own medicine. Possibly also decided to put the squeeze on due to being his title rival.

It'd be funny if it wasn't so predictable
GSC
GSC

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 21 Sep 2021, 6:02 pm

Former McLaren boss Martin Whitmarsh has joined Aston Martin. Seems like he’s above Szafnauer in the line of command.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 21 Sep 2021, 7:36 pm

Jeff Navarro wrote:Former McLaren boss Martin Whitmarsh has joined Aston Martin. Seems like he’s above Szafnauer in the line of command.

Truly awful appointment. Had a horrid time, while at the helm of McLaren. Lost Hamilton’s trust, and soon ousted from McLaren & F1 for a decade. Tempted back by the money Stroll is throwing around.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 22 Sep 2021, 12:52 pm

2022 leaked calendar:
March 20 – Bahrain Grand Prix
March 27 – Saudi Arabian Grand Prix
April 10 – Australian Grand Prix
April 24 – Chinese Grand Prix
May 08 – Miami Grand Prix
May 22 – Spanish Grand Prix
May 29 – Monaco Grand Prix
June 12 – Azerbaijan Grand Prix
June 19 – Canadian Grand Prix
July 3 – British Grand Prix
July 10 – Austrian Grand Prix
July 17 – French Grand Prix or Imola Grand Prix
July 31 – Hungarian Grand Prix
August 28 – Belgian Grand Prix
September 04 – Dutch Grand Prix
September 11 – Italian Grand Prix
September 25 – Russian Grand Prix
October 02 – Turkish Grand Prix or Singapore Grand Prix
October 09 – Japanese Grand Prix
October 23 – United States Grand Prix
October 30 – Mexican Grand Prix
November 13 – Brazilian Grand Prix
November 20 – Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

I’d prefer Imola and Singapore, covid pending, over Paul Ricard and Istanbul Park.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 23 Sep 2021, 3:28 pm

Ferrari’s third spec engine to debut at Sochi. LeClerc starts last as he has to use fourth PU.
Verstappen and Hamilton potentially looking at fourth engines as well. Could be exciting.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 24 Sep 2021, 1:25 pm

Verstappen confirmed fourth PU. Will start last. Strange they didn’t announce their intentions before Ferrari did LeClerc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 25 Sep 2021, 2:02 pm

Hamilton f***ed it up, and Bottas absolutely nowhere

Norris pole, Sainz 2nd and Russell third

Still expect Hamilton to turn that around, but god he makes it hard for himself.

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 25 Sep 2021, 2:05 pm

Can't imagine it'll make much difference tomorrow but that is a bit of a mess of an open goal
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 25 Sep 2021, 2:06 pm

Mercedes not handling the pressure as well as previous years. So many strange decisions.
Hamilton did make an eerie but Mercedes should’ve made the dry tyre decision earlier.
Mercedes will win the race easily so it’s pretty irrelevant

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Sat 25 Sep 2021, 2:43 pm

Fantastic from Russell to get the Williams P3, brilliant from Lando to get his first pole, well done to Sainz for P2.  
Really disappointing from Bottas (P7) and Perez (P9).  No heroics from Giovinazzi this qualifying (out in Q1) - has he been told his fate already?

Qualifying
P1) Norris
P2) Sainz
P3) Russell
P4) Hamilton
P5) Ricciardo
P6) Alonso
P7) Bottas
P8) Stroll
P9) Perez
P10) Ocon
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sat 25 Sep 2021, 8:35 pm

Just Gareth wrote:
Jeff Navarro wrote:Former McLaren boss Martin Whitmarsh has joined Aston Martin. Seems like he’s above Szafnauer in the line of command.

Truly awful appointment. Had a horrid time, while at the helm of McLaren. Lost Hamilton’s trust, and soon ousted from McLaren & F1 for a decade. Tempted back by the money Stroll is throwing around.

Agreed. Can't imagine he's going to bring much to the table. Can see Szafnauer quitting if he has to put up with taking orders from Whitmarsh. Especially if performances and results don't improve.

Anyway, back to today...the most extraordinary qualifying session for ages.

1. McLaren
2. Ferrari
3. Williams

Anyone else transported back to the 90s? Very Happy

Hamilton seems to really be feeling the pressure this season. Was the least happy I've seen him in ages in the post-quali interview. Weird that he'd be feeling pressure at this race, with Sochi being a Merc track and with his title rival starting last. Maybe he was just trying too hard knowing it should be a nailed-on win for him?

Still starting 4th isn't a disaster by any means. A podium...or even the win is still well within reach...provided there are no more mistakes. He still ought to come away from this weekend with a narrow championship lead.

Great to see the new guard making their presence felt with the Silver Arrows slipping up. Fantastic to see Norris get his maiden pole. Sainz also stepped up well with Leclerc getting an engine penalty. Another OMG WTF moment to witness Russell out-qualifying both Mercs. He is surely going to give Lewis nightmares next season.

Have to figure the Mercs (or Hamilton at least) will make progress. George will go backward a few places, but hope he can still finish in the points. Doubt Carlos will keep Lewis behind him for too long. Norris might be a different proposition. At the least he should frustrate Hamilton for the first stint...maybe longer.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 25 Sep 2021, 8:49 pm

I think the race could be determined by whom can survive the carnage if the conditions remain wet.
This track doesn’t seem to dry as quick as others on the calendar.

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 26 Sep 2021, 9:15 am

Bottas getting a new engine to block Max at the back seems a bit desperate
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 26 Sep 2021, 10:29 am

Seems a fair move considering Verstappen gave the game away on Friday when he told everyone listening ‘we don’t have enough top speed’.

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Sun 26 Sep 2021, 11:25 am

So in as many races Bottas gets engine number four and engine number five.  They seem to be stocking up on engines for Bottas.  Bottas had a disappointing qualifying as did Perez - who will be now starting in P8.  I am sure Mercedes would not have taken an extra hit in their now funding cap just to have Bottas block Verstappen, but I didn't think Bottas needed a fifth engine - so maybe it is.   I suppose Bottas is pretty much expendable now for Mercedes and Perez is not performing so well - so it looks like the Constructors Championship should be heading to Mercedes.

ps if it is a wet start Bottas might end up taking out Leclerc and Verstappen.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 26 Sep 2021, 12:20 pm

Verstappen running the Austria spec skinny rear wing

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 26 Sep 2021, 12:26 pm

Jeff Navarro wrote:I think the race could be determined by whom can survive the carnage if the conditions remain wet.
This track doesn’t seem to dry as quick as others on the calendar.

Sochi is a low grip / wear track even in the dry, so god knows what it must be like in the wet.

Fortunately the guys at the front get on with and respect each other (not to mention also good drivers). So hopefully there won't be any carnage at the front. Expect there will be some in the middle or near the back.

GSC wrote:
Bottas getting a new engine to block Max at the back seems a bit desperate

Not to mention unnecessary. I can't believe Merc are that scared of Max! Shocked Wouldn't work anyway as Bottas isn't a very effective road block...unless he ends up taking Max out (á la Russell at Monza last year).
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 26 Sep 2021, 12:52 pm

70% chance of rain. This could be like the whacky races

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 26 Sep 2021, 1:09 pm

Poor start by Hamilton

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 26 Sep 2021, 1:16 pm

Well that blocking tactic was a waste of time
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 26 Sep 2021, 1:17 pm

Bottas doesn’t have the gusto

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 26 Sep 2021, 1:18 pm

I suspect Bottas might have given a bit more of a Poopie if he wasn't sent to the back to get an early Alfa race sim
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 26 Sep 2021, 1:42 pm

Bit of a reverse Monza. Lewis being backed up by Riccardo straight into Max who's using the worse tyre
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 26 Sep 2021, 1:45 pm

Ricciardo terrible pit stop

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 26 Sep 2021, 1:55 pm

Hamilton chasing down Norris now.

Back to top Go down