The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Angel Cabrera

+2
McLaren
George1507
6 posters

Go down

Angel Cabrera Empty Angel Cabrera

Post by George1507 Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:10 am

I've always thought he was a pretty straight forward, honest bloke. I read yesterday he's under arrest in Brazil, to be extradited to Argentina to face a raft of charges including assault, theft, illegal intimidation and repeated disrespect to authorities (whatever that is - we probably could all be arrested for that).

Apparently Cabrera’s ex-wife, Silva Rivadero, had filed two charges against him and that his former girlfriend, Cecilia Torres, claimed Cabrera had punched her, threatened her and attempted to run her over with his car in 2016.

He could be paying a lengthy visit to the Buenos Aires Country Club if that lot is proven.

George1507

Posts : 1334
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Angel Cabrera Empty Re: Angel Cabrera

Post by McLaren Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:13 pm

The charges that come from the assault of his ex wife and girlfriend are particularly worrying. I remember the odd occasion that he blew up at his caddie, seems he had a temper issue.
McLaren
McLaren

Posts : 16928
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Angel Cabrera Empty Re: Angel Cabrera

Post by navyblueshorts Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:41 am

Presumably, he's allowed to both defend himself and be presumed innocent until found to be otherwise?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 10218
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : Off with the pixies...

Back to top Go down

Angel Cabrera Empty Re: Angel Cabrera

Post by McLaren Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:01 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:Presumably, he's allowed to both defend himself and be presumed innocent until found to be otherwise?

I am not familiar with the Argentine legal system.
McLaren
McLaren

Posts : 16928
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Angel Cabrera Empty Re: Angel Cabrera

Post by navyblueshorts Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:54 pm

McLaren wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:Presumably, he's allowed to both defend himself and be presumed innocent until found to be otherwise?

I am not familiar with the Argentine legal system.
Neither am I, but I'm presuming we'll wait to see if he is in fact convicted of anything, before tarring him as some wife-beating misogynist?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 10218
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : Off with the pixies...

Back to top Go down

Angel Cabrera Empty Re: Angel Cabrera

Post by McLaren Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:36 pm

Why doubt the victims? I am not saying you would convict him just based on victim claims but it is enough to assume he is a wife beater. Rates of false assault claims are very low.
McLaren
McLaren

Posts : 16928
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Angel Cabrera Empty Re: Angel Cabrera

Post by Soul Requiem Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:37 pm

McLaren wrote:Why doubt the victims? I am not saying you would convict him just based on victim claims but it is enough to assume he is a wife beater. Rates of false assault claims are very low.

What are the rates in Argentina?

Soul Requiem

Posts : 5580
Join date : 2019-07-16

Back to top Go down

Angel Cabrera Empty Re: Angel Cabrera

Post by McLaren Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:29 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:
McLaren wrote:Why doubt the victims? I am not saying you would convict him just based on victim claims but it is enough to assume he is a wife beater. Rates of false assault claims are very low.

What are the rates in Argentina?

Very low.
McLaren
McLaren

Posts : 16928
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Angel Cabrera Empty Re: Angel Cabrera

Post by Soul Requiem Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:31 pm

McLaren wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:
McLaren wrote:Why doubt the victims? I am not saying you would convict him just based on victim claims but it is enough to assume he is a wife beater. Rates of false assault claims are very low.

What are the rates in Argentina?

Very low.

You'll be able to provide the figures then.

Soul Requiem

Posts : 5580
Join date : 2019-07-16

Back to top Go down

Angel Cabrera Empty Re: Angel Cabrera

Post by navyblueshorts Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:03 am

McLaren wrote:Why doubt the victims? I am not saying you would convict him just based on victim claims but it is enough to assume he is a wife beater. Rates of false assault claims are very low.
picard What a nonsensical position to adopt. No offence, Mac, but one day I hope you're convicted of something in the court of social media. You might understand then.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 10218
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : Off with the pixies...

Back to top Go down

Angel Cabrera Empty Re: Angel Cabrera

Post by McLaren Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:07 pm

Navy we know a couple of things here. Rates of false abuse accusations are low and the Argentine government feel there is enough credibility to the claims to add them to an extradition application? For me that means it is more likely that he abused his ex partners than not. As I said this does not mean you throw him in jail based on that but in terms of what has likely happened it is enough.

Out of interest, do you only believe victims of domestic abuse once the perpetrator has been convicted?
McLaren
McLaren

Posts : 16928
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Angel Cabrera Empty Re: Angel Cabrera

Post by Soul Requiem Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:10 pm

Rates of false abuse accusations are low in the UK, you'll as asked previously be able to provide the numbers for Argentina.

Soul Requiem

Posts : 5580
Join date : 2019-07-16

Back to top Go down

Angel Cabrera Empty Re: Angel Cabrera

Post by McLaren Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:23 pm

The rates of false accusations only have to be less than <50% for my argument to hold. (Unless you use Super_realist probability)

As all I am saying it is more likely that he has abused those women.
McLaren
McLaren

Posts : 16928
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Angel Cabrera Empty Re: Angel Cabrera

Post by Soul Requiem Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:31 pm

McLaren wrote:The rates of false accusations only have to be less than <50% for my argument to hold. (Unless you use Super_realist probability)

As all I am saying it is more likely that he has abused those women.

More than likely based on a snap judgement. The rates of false accusations have to far lower than 50% for your argument to have any legitimacy, we're not talking about the lottery here but rather something slightly more important.

Soul Requiem

Posts : 5580
Join date : 2019-07-16

Back to top Go down

Angel Cabrera Empty Re: Angel Cabrera

Post by McLaren Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:39 pm

I am not sure the length of the judgement changes the maths here. If false accusation happen at less than 50%, the alternative is more likely. (assuming two possible outcomes, there could be more)
McLaren
McLaren

Posts : 16928
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Angel Cabrera Empty Re: Angel Cabrera

Post by McLaren Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:39 pm

Soul, are you one of them or do you have sympathies for the MRA movement?
McLaren
McLaren

Posts : 16928
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Angel Cabrera Empty Re: Angel Cabrera

Post by Soul Requiem Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:02 pm

McLaren wrote:I am not sure the length of the judgement changes the maths here. If false accusation happen at less than 50%, the alternative is more likely. (assuming two possible outcomes, there could be more)

Sorry but that's a load of rubbish and maths does not apply in real life situations.

Soul Requiem

Posts : 5580
Join date : 2019-07-16

Back to top Go down

Angel Cabrera Empty Re: Angel Cabrera

Post by navyblueshorts Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:33 pm

McLaren wrote:Navy we know a couple of things here. Rates of false abuse accusations are low and the Argentine government feel there is enough credibility to the claims to add them to an extradition application? For me that means it is more likely that he abused his ex partners than not. As I said this does not mean you throw him in jail based on that but in terms of what has likely happened it is enough.

Out of interest, do you only believe victims of domestic abuse once the perpetrator has been convicted?
🤷 Well, I won't think any different of him until he's been convicted if that's OK.

Re. your latter point, no. Good question though. If a female friend confided in me that something hideous had happened to her, I'd take it at face value I think. However, unless she was willing to do anything about it legally, I don't think it makes any sense to announce it publicly. It's not as if such accusations don't have consequences for men accused of such crimes. I don't think they should be bandied about as gossip.

Coming back to Cabrera, it's fine if he's been charged, but your assumption is that he's therefore guilty as charged. I'll wait.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 10218
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : Off with the pixies...

Back to top Go down

Angel Cabrera Empty Re: Angel Cabrera

Post by navyblueshorts Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:35 pm

McLaren wrote:I am not sure the length of the judgement changes the maths here. If false accusation happen at less than 50%, the alternative is more likely. (assuming two possible outcomes, there could be more)
This may be true on the face of it, but you don't get to assume or convict on that sort of logic I'm afraid. Not where serious crimes are potentially involved.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 10218
Join date : 2011-01-27
Location : Off with the pixies...

Back to top Go down

Angel Cabrera Empty Re: Angel Cabrera

Post by McLaren Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:41 pm

Navy

I tried to make it clear that I don't think an accusation of abuse (domestic, sexual, psychological, whatever) is enough to convict but in most circumstances I am happy to believe the victim. This does not preclude me from dismissing clearly false accusations.

In this case we not only have the accusations but legal experts at the highest level deciding that the accusations are credible enough to form part of an extradition case.


And on the probability stuff, forget it. It's not how I think about it. All I know is that accusations of serious domestic or sexual abuse are rare. I clearly don't have the exact number for Argentina but as I said for my logic to hold up the rate only has to be less than 50%.
McLaren
McLaren

Posts : 16928
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Angel Cabrera Empty Re: Angel Cabrera

Post by beninho Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:55 pm

Maybe, females just like making accusations against him. This isn't the first occasion an allegation has been made.

Just also, querying. Do people think, that the majority of claims of domestic abuse are made up?

beninho

Posts : 6736
Join date : 2011-01-28
Location : NW London

Back to top Go down

Angel Cabrera Empty Re: Angel Cabrera

Post by pedro Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:40 am

But I think it’s fair to assume that Cabrera is no Angel.

pedro

Posts : 7240
Join date : 2011-01-27

navyblueshorts likes this post

Back to top Go down

Angel Cabrera Empty Re: Angel Cabrera

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum