The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top 100 Scotland

+6
McLaren
navyblueshorts
LadyPutt
beninho
I'm never wrong
Shotrock
10 posters

Go down

Top 100 Scotland Empty Top 100 Scotland

Post by Shotrock Fri 12 Feb 2021, 4:11 pm

I get a feeling Super did not vote in this survey ...

https://www.ukgolfguy.com/golf-blog/scotland-top-100-golf-courses

I've only played a few (my trip of last year cancelled due to Covid, but hoping to reschedule). Dornoch was the highest rated I played, but I really enjoyed Golspie, Brora and Nairn.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Top 100 Scotland Empty Re: Top 100 Scotland

Post by I'm never wrong Fri 12 Feb 2021, 4:21 pm

Shotrock wrote:I get a feeling Super did not vote in this survey ...

https://www.ukgolfguy.com/golf-blog/scotland-top-100-golf-courses

I've only played a few (my trip of last year cancelled due to Covid, but hoping to reschedule). Dornoch was the highest rated I played, but I really enjoyed Golspie, Brora and Nairn.

I've had two trips up to Scotland - years ago - managed to play 5 of those listed. (Carnoustie, Blairgowrie, Ladybank, Pitlochry & Downfield). Without Covid19 I don't think I'd get anywhere near them now.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 12 Feb 2021, 7:19 pm

I've done 3. Dundonald, Troon and Turnberry Robert course. All great.

My first visit, over 10 years back played https://www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk/ which I remember was stunning views. Not sure if anyone knows it?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Sat 13 Feb 2021, 9:06 am

I’ve played six to my amazement, but I suppose living in Fife does give me an advantage. Good to see Shiskine, the quirky 12-hole course on the Isle of Arran up there at 33rd. A lovely course with great views but I’ve never lost so many golf balls!
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sat 13 Feb 2021, 11:26 am

Interesting. Played more than I would have thought, but most from quite a while back. I'll act as a S_R substitute - the rating of St. Andrews (Old) as #1 is nonsense and purely down to the history.

My favourite probably Gleneagles (Queens), but that memory a bit dim now.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 13 Feb 2021, 1:55 pm

Living in Scotland I have played quite a few of them.

I have no issues with TOC at #1 but there are a few odd ones in there;

Royal Aberdeen quite low.
Trump Aberdeen way too high
Ardfin (Have enough people played it to actually rank it?)
Renaissance pretty low
Castle above some of the finest links courses (Murcur, Panmure, Dunbar, Gailes, Kilspindie, Montrose) is pretty galling.

I like the inclusion of Gullane 3, I am not saying it should be higher than 88, but I think a lot of top 100's would miss it out. A lot of fun to be had on that course and if you are in Gullane you might as well give it a shot. It obviously won't add a notch for the bag tag Barrys.

Dumbarnie has really made an impact. I have a booking for this spring so pretty keen to see what all the fuss is about.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sat 13 Feb 2021, 2:20 pm

Mean't to be flying up on 9th May and booked to play Turnberry (Ailsa & King Robert), Royal Troon (Champ) and Prestwick for a mate's birthday celebration. Hoping we will be able to go ahead by then.

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sat 13 Feb 2021, 2:29 pm

I've had 3 golfing trips to Scotland previously and played 4 of the top 7. If you are fortunate and get decent weather, is there really anywhere better to play?

BlueCoverman

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 13 Feb 2021, 2:45 pm

BlueCoverman wrote:I've had 3 golfing trips to Scotland previously and played 4 of the top 7. If you are fortunate and get decent weather, is there really anywhere better to play?

Probably not. But in general I think there are several areas in the UK that will not be beaten anywhere in the world in terms of number of quality courses, access and price.

I think one mistake visitors to Scotland make is trying to play just the marquee courses all across the country instead of focussing on one of the areas. As a local my advice would be to immerse yourself in one area and player further down the roster instead of flitting around the country just collecting the high value bag tags.
McLaren
McLaren

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 13 Feb 2021, 2:48 pm

I think one reason to stick around one area and play the slightly less highly rated courses is that you have more chance of experiencing an authentic club atmosphere. All the open courses and places like Turnberry, Castle Stuart etc feel pretty corporate and don't reflect what it is really like to play golf in Scotland.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sat 13 Feb 2021, 9:54 pm

McLaren wrote:Living in Scotland I have played quite a few of them.

I have no issues with TOC at #1 but there are a few odd ones in there;

Royal Aberdeen quite low.
Trump Aberdeen way too high
Ardfin (Have enough people played it to actually rank it?)
Renaissance pretty low
Castle above some of the finest links courses (Murcur, Panmure, Dunbar, Gailes, Kilspindie, Montrose) is pretty galling.

I like the inclusion of Gullane 3, I am not saying it should be higher than 88, but I think a lot of top 100's would miss it out. A lot of fun to be had on that course and if you are in Gullane you might as well give it a shot. It obviously won't add a notch for the bag tag Barrys.

Dumbarnie has really made an impact. I have a booking for this spring so pretty keen to see what all the fuss is about.
Really loved Gullane 3; lot of fun, leave the driver at home! TBF, anything at Gullane is pretty good.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sat 13 Feb 2021, 10:01 pm

McLaren wrote:
BlueCoverman wrote:I've had 3 golfing trips to Scotland previously and played 4 of the top 7. If you are fortunate and get decent weather, is there really anywhere better to play?

Probably not. But in general I think there are several areas in the UK that will not be beaten anywhere in the world in terms of number of quality courses, access and price.

I think one mistake visitors to Scotland make is trying to play just the marquee courses all across the country instead of focussing on one of the areas.  As a local my advice would be to immerse yourself in one area and player further down the roster instead of flitting around the country just collecting the high value bag tags.
Holy Sh!t! I find myself agreeing w/ Mac Hug.

There are so many excellent courses in Scotland, one could easily argue that playing the marquee courses is only worth it so that you can say that you have.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sun 14 Feb 2021, 1:04 am

Also fully agree with Mac. My golfing in UK/IRE is almost always done with a mix of Brits, Europeans and Yanks and we abide by this advice. Makes staying in just one or two hotels or rentals a lot nicer, too. On my one trip to Scotland (thus far!) we played Dornoch and then a number of other close by courses. We've played in Ireland 2x and England 3x.

I am always amused by a golfer with 5 - 10 "Brag Tags" on their bag.

The US has (IMO and by comparison) some exceptional and varied courses along with a boat load of average and uninteresting courses. Sure, if you are with the right people it's hard to have a bad time on any course, but with a little bit of research you can find some great places to play in the states as well.

Last edited by Shotrock on Sun 14 Feb 2021, 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 14 Feb 2021, 10:02 am

The last couple of times we've been, we've stayed at the same Hotel in Troon. Mainly because it's my mate who gets us on it for nothing. It's to good an opportunity to miss out. Seems enough decent courses in the vicinity to add as an extra. We only do it as a one nighter. But Dundonald and Turnberry came in as good second courses.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 24 May 2021, 6:34 pm

Not sure how I missed this thread when it was current a few months back, played 19 of that list, mostly from the first column. Thought I might have seen Troon Darley on there and Belleisle.

Whilst I'd like to complete column 1 I think there would be more value for money gems to be found away from column 1.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Mon 24 May 2021, 7:18 pm

Played a few of the 'lesser' courses on that list - but some absolute gems in Kilspindie and Monifeith, amongst some others. Heading back up this summer, fingers crossed, to knock off Gullane 1 and 2 and a few others around there.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Wed 02 Jun 2021, 10:57 am

Any time you see these compiled lists, I wonder what the criteria used really are. Shiskine - lovely though it is, above Lundin and Gullane #2? And The Glen (again a lovely course), above Bruntsfield, Burgess and Barassie?

And the PGA Course at Gleneagles in at 56? There must be 500 courses in Scotland that are more fun, better value and more interesting than that waste of good land.

George1507

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down