The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: The Players: Notes from the Ballwasher

+13
dynamark
Davie
I'm never wrong
beninho
Shotrock
LadyPutt
super_realist
robopz
pedro
GPB
McLaren
Good Golly I'm Olly
incontinentia
17 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: The Players: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty PGA Tour: The Players: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by incontinentia Mon 29 Jun 2020, 8:20 pm

First topic message reminder :

I actually had occasion recently to view Tiger's leaked nude photo. Have any of you seen it? He may not have calves but he's blessed in other areas
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Players: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Players: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by super_realist Wed 08 Jul 2020, 6:48 am

beninho wrote:Why does it bother you?

Personally, its so very minor, to being irrelevant. Yet, you keep banging on about it.

Is it just golfers? Or anyone that uses a middle or nickname that upsets you?

Why does it bother you for me to give than more suitable names?
Goes both ways.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Players: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Players: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by beninho Wed 08 Jul 2020, 8:24 am

It bothers me because I like to understand things, and when a view makes no sense at all, I like to question it.

Not on about your religious extremism. Just your hatred of nicknames or middle names being used. Is it just golfers?

We use my sisters middle name, and I know that's the same with members of my wife's family. I don't think its that uncommon.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 08 Jul 2020, 2:09 pm

I bet super has a really terrible name, something chav like Wayne or something.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 08 Jul 2020, 3:40 pm

McLaren wrote:I bet super has a really terrible name, something chav like Wayne or something.
I always thought the opposite, bet he's called Geoffrey or something snooty
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 08 Jul 2020, 7:29 pm

I reckon he's got one of those awful Jock names like Craig

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 08 Jul 2020, 8:48 pm

I know a couple identical twin guys named Craig and Greg.

I figure if I say the name really quickly then I get their name correct.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 08 Jul 2020, 11:38 pm

I know the brothers Mark and Ronnie.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Tue 09 Mar 2021, 1:35 pm

Sad to see this thread... The last "notes" thread from Kwini...

I sure wish he would consider coming back... I must admit I come here a lot less due to his absence.

As I wish Super would come back. We didn't agree on much, but I think both of us enjoyed the joust. We were both usually pretty hard-headed on our opinions, but at least as far as I'm concerned, he address me fairly.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 09 Mar 2021, 2:28 pm

Yeh it would be great if we could get kwini back on here. I really miss him and his thoughts on the game.

With the bigger events and the Majors over the spring and summer hopefully some more golf focussed chat might bring some of our lost posters back.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Sat 13 Mar 2021, 4:45 pm

Never mind super get westy back great work from the not so young man gives us all hope,What other sport can you excel at 48.Funny flatish short swing but it works and from my experience of meeting him just once very pleasant fella

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat 13 Mar 2021, 6:53 pm

https://twitter.com/joechambers/status/1370799908651995137?s=19

Love this!

beninho

I'm never wrong likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sat 13 Mar 2021, 7:20 pm

beninho wrote:https://twitter.com/joechambers/status/1370799908651995137?s=19

Love this!

We've all done it I suppose. If you're the one hitting, it's all apologies; if you're the one getting hit at, the temptation is to hit it right back at them.

But I checked Rory's score, he birdied it!

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 14 Mar 2021, 7:17 am

As rivalries go, Bdc and lw is unexpected.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun 14 Mar 2021, 9:31 am

beninho wrote:As rivalries go, Bdc and lw is unexpected.
Their styles could scarcely be more different. Lee seems to be really enjoying life at the moment, hopefully he can maintain his carefree approach today and achieve victory.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 14 Mar 2021, 9:36 am

I'd love LW to win it today. I didn't think he woukd last week, but he did a lot better then I thought in the circumstances.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 14 Mar 2021, 7:14 pm

Connors, BdC and lw1. The hottest golfers at the moment.

Hopefully lw1 won’t choke again, but twice in the drink ain’t good...

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 14 Mar 2021, 8:58 pm

pedro wrote:Connors, BdC and lw1. The hottest golfers at the moment.

Hopefully lw1 won’t choke again, but twice in the drink ain’t good...

It hasn't got much better since then Pedro - but still somehow only one back, if he can pull it together coming in over these final five...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sun 14 Mar 2021, 9:20 pm

C'mon Lee ... Really like to see you win this thing. Make a long putt or two ...

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 14 Mar 2021, 9:36 pm

He's making a proper hash of this par 5
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sun 14 Mar 2021, 9:38 pm

Really could have used a birdie here ... not going to happen.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sun 14 Mar 2021, 10:05 pm

Well done JT. And at this point you can't look past LW for the exhibition event in the fall.

Shotrock

pedro likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 14 Mar 2021, 10:26 pm

Superb round of ball striking from JT - he lost two shots on the greens with the putter today and still came through!

Shame for Westwood not to have put one of those two away, ultimately hung and just beaten by two of the worlds best. No shame in that
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 14 Mar 2021, 11:03 pm

Shotrock wrote:Well done JT. And at this point you can't look past LW for the exhibition event in the fall.

Considering how LW did the last time he played the RC, I am glad he is a near lock for the team now.
Run

Don't think there is much of a chance that he keeps up this purple patch for another 7 months.

in a way, I was hoping LW would win today (GASP) I want to see if the European Media would change their opinion about the Players as a 5th major.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 15 Mar 2021, 12:23 am

GPB

I thought the Players felt more like a Major this year than it had for a while. The years when it was held in May just didn't do it for me. Something about this March date has it feeling like it's old self.

Another great week to be a golf fan. Really enjoyed all 4 days of this event.

Westwood did well to get solo second given the way he was hitting it off the tee, and grinding out par like that may well have won it under not so different circumstances.

BDC's top? Pretty much the worst shot I have ever seen at a pro event. Saw Furyk badly thin it about 150 off the tee once but it wasn't as bad as Brysons.

Not saying JT's majorless streak is as bad as Rory's but weeks like this show it is getting there. This guy should (in a pretty lose sense) have bagged at least a couple of majors by now.

Thought it was a pretty low blow from the interviewer to mention his grandfather dying just to make him cry. Why bother?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 15 Mar 2021, 10:39 am

Mac - Rory (by the press and so many fans) is held to a different standard. He doesn't *deserve* that but it comes with the territory; I suppose for being so hot out of the gate early in his career and also that he carried a lot of Europe's hopes along with him.

JT was plenty fortunate with his drive on 18 staying dry, but the ball goes where you put it!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 15 Mar 2021, 10:50 am

I agree, that if Rory spreads his 4 majors out over his whole career to date the narrative is very different.

I liked the honesty of JT's response to his drive on 18. He clearly didn't mean to hit that shot shape, or certainly not on that starting line.

Is this a crazy thought. This late career purple patch from Westwood is the sort of thing you see from all time greats. Jack, Player, Watson, Phil etc. Sort of proof that he had the game to win big in the majors just probably couldn't do it mentally. Also I am not saying he is/should have been an all time great just that it is further proof that it is a total anomaly that he didn't bag several majors never mind just one.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 15 Mar 2021, 11:01 am

McLaren wrote:GPB

I thought the Players felt more like a Major this year than it had for a while. The years when it was held in May just didn't do it for me. Something about this March date has it feeling like it's old self.

Another great week to be a golf fan. Really enjoyed all 4 days of this event.

Westwood did well to get solo second given the way he was hitting it off the tee, and grinding out par like that may well have won it under not so different circumstances.

BDC's top? Pretty much the worst shot I have ever seen at a pro event. Saw Furyk badly thin it about 150 off the tee once but it wasn't as bad as Brysons.

Not saying JT's majorless streak is as bad as Rory's but weeks like this show it is getting there. This guy should (in a pretty lose sense) have bagged at least a couple of majors by now.

Thought it was a pretty low blow from the interviewer to mention his grandfather dying just to make him cry. Why bother?

I thought that about the interview too Mac - seemed like he just wanted to make him cry, and then the awkwardness of ending the interview after that question, and JT just standing there weeping and him not offering any comfort...I thought was very poor form.

I can't imagine it will be too long before JT bags another major, he's not been too far off since his last win (three top 10s, an 11th, 12th). He wins so regularly another is surely on the horizon
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 15 Mar 2021, 12:42 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Superb round of ball striking from JT - he lost two shots on the greens with the putter today and still came through!

Shame for Westwood not to have put one of those two away, ultimately hung and just beaten by two of the worlds best. No shame in that

Westwood is golf's greatest nearly man. Like Jimmy White or Tim Henman. Never thought he'd triumph, even with the two-shot overnight lead he had on Saturday.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 15 Mar 2021, 4:39 pm

McLaren wrote:I agree, that if Rory spreads his 4 majors out over his whole career to date the narrative is very different.

I liked the honesty of JT's response to his drive on 18. He clearly didn't mean to hit that shot shape, or certainly not on that starting line.

Is this a crazy thought. This late career purple patch from Westwood is the sort of thing you see from all time greats. Jack, Player, Watson, Phil etc. Sort of proof that he had the game to win big in the majors just probably couldn't do it mentally. Also I am not saying he is/should have been an all time great just that it is further proof that it is a total anomaly that he didn't bag several majors never mind just one.

Late career purple patch indeed, quite a few lesser players than Westwood have bagged Majors. He’s been so close several times. I still think Turnberry ‘09 was his golden opportunity but the cards just never fell for him.

Here’s a ponder...How many gave Darren Clarke (Westys old RC partner remember) a cat in hells chance a few months before the 2011 open?...which incidentally was at RSG...and where’s this years open? What odds is he?

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by ralphjohn69 Tue 16 Mar 2021, 11:47 pm

GPB wrote:
Shotrock wrote:Well done JT. And at this point you can't look past LW for the exhibition event in the fall.

Considering how LW did the last time he played the RC, I am glad he is a near lock for the team now.
Run

Don't think there is much of a chance that he keeps up this purple patch for another 7 months.

in a way, I was hoping LW would win today  (GASP) I want to see if the European Media would change their opinion about the Players as a 5th major.

2 points:

Westwood has been playing well for a while, not just the past 2 weeks; he did with the RTD last year, in case you missed it.  Unlikely to stay quite at this level for the next 7 months sure but still a useful foursomes, if not fourball, partner for somebody in the RC, Fitzpatrick perhaps?

Why would the European Media do anything of the sort?  They didn't when Lyle, Garcia, Stenson, Kaymer or McIlroy won it.

ralphjohn69

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sun 15 May 2022, 6:09 pm

Second hand info, so take it for what it's worth ...

At a tournament at my club and one I was working at in September of 2018, Phil was surely going to be playing early (no cut event) Saturday. So, I heard from a caddie that he's planning to get back to his hotel room as soon as his 3rd round ended. There, he had the hotel bring in 4 or 5 more TVs to his room so he could watch multiple college football games at the same time. Ya think he's interested in betting?

With Ego Norman's latest comments this is not the start the LIV tour was hoping for.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 16 May 2022, 9:49 am

Shotrock wrote:There, he had the hotel bring in 4 or 5 more TVs to his room so he could watch multiple college football games at the same time. Ya think he's interested in betting?
Maybe he's just interested in college football? Very Happy

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 18 Sep 2022, 11:49 pm

Willett with one of the great chokes. Three and a bit feet to win. Misses. Four and a bit feet to force a play-off. Misses. Ouch.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 19 Sep 2022, 11:07 am

One of the worst chokes I've seen in any sport. He is trying to be all joking in post round interviews and social media but mentally this is the end for him. Sad, but he got a master's via choking.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 19 Sep 2022, 1:21 pm

I like Willet looks like he messed this one up big time. But it's not tge end for him. Not long back people didn't think he'd have a putt fir a pga tour win again. He's been worse off than this.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 20 Sep 2022, 11:46 am

You like Willett?

Seems like a total bell end to me.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 20 Sep 2022, 3:16 pm

Choke - a term used by those that've never competed for anything, or achieved anything, of significance. Ever.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 20 Sep 2022, 3:28 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:Choke - a term used by those that've never competed for anything, or achieved anything, of significance. Ever.

No, a term to describe someone who fluffs something that should be routine solely because the winning line is in sight.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 20 Sep 2022, 4:33 pm

Duty281 wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:Choke - a term used by those that've never competed for anything, or achieved anything, of significance. Ever.

No, a term to describe someone who fluffs something that should be routine solely because the winning line is in sight.
Not really, no. It's only ever a derisory term used when people, probably quite naturally, make a mistake (nerves?) at that sort of rarified level. Personally, I think it says more about those that use it and their lack of understanding of the situation. At least those that 'choke' have got to a position where it's possible....
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 20 Sep 2022, 5:39 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

Not really, no. It's only ever a derisory term used when people, probably quite naturally, make a mistake (nerves?) at that sort of rarified level. Personally, I think it says more about those that use it and their lack of understanding of the situation. At least those that 'choke' have got to a position where it's possible....

Yes, actually. It's not a derisory term as such, merely a statement of what happened, used by sporting professionals and non-professionals alike, plus there's a great degree of academic research that has looked into it.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 20 Sep 2022, 5:46 pm

McLaren wrote:You like Willett?

Seems like a total bell end to me.

Given you're a fan of the biggest wanchor in golf who cares?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 20 Sep 2022, 8:36 pm

Duty281 wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

Yes, actually. It's not a derisory term as such, merely a statement of what happened, used by sporting professionals and non-professionals alike, plus there's a great degree of academic research that has looked into it.
It's derisory. Sorry you disagree. The fact it's a common part of the lexicon doesn't cover where it came from or how it was used. If it's thought to be normal and OK, that's simply because too many don't understand it's etymology and initial usage.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 21 Sep 2022, 11:01 am

Navy

Are you saying that it is never possible to correctly apply "choke" to a sporting situation?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 21 Sep 2022, 1:55 pm

McLaren wrote:Navy

Are you saying that it is never possible to correctly apply "choke" to a sporting situation?
Not really; I just hate its origins and what that says about those that use it. Some do 'choke' (if this word's here to stay), but the idea that it's seen as pathetic that nerves get the better of someone (or that, somehow, that's not a manly failing) is a little stupid IMO. It's part of any sport, and some manage it better than others, but to treat someone that doesn't as somehow pathetic is pretty weak.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 21 Sep 2022, 2:09 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:

Not really; I just hate its origins and what that says about those that use it. Some do 'choke' (if this word's here to stay), but the idea that it's seen as pathetic that nerves get the better of someone (or that, somehow, that's not a manly failing) is a little stupid IMO. It's part of any sport, and some manage it better than others, but to treat someone that doesn't as somehow pathetic is pretty weak.

Who thinks that?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 22 Sep 2022, 9:09 am

Duty281 wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

Who thinks that?
Those that use the word 'choke', for a start. Remove my use of the word 'manly' then - did that trigger you a bit? How about:

Some do 'choke' (if this word's here to stay),but the idea that it's seen as pathetic that nerves get the better of someone is a little stupid IMO.

Never mind. I've had my say on this and you've had yours.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 22 Sep 2022, 10:23 am

navyblueshorts wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

Who thinks that?
Those that use the word 'choke', for a start. Remove my use of the word 'manly' then - did that trigger you a bit? How about:

Some do 'choke' (if this word's here to stay),but the idea that it's seen as pathetic that nerves get the better of someone is a little stupid IMO.

Never mind. I've had my say on this and you've had yours.

Well that's incorrect because I don't think that and I use the word choke. You've ascribed an intent to the word that doesn't exist.

Your use of the word 'manly' had no effect, you can leave it in.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 22 Sep 2022, 11:41 am

Just don't see what else to call something like Willett 3 putting from 4 feet. Unless there is a tournament on the line that just doesn't happen. We all know what it is like to hit a shot when you are nervous and it isn't easy. Failure to combat this feeling can lead to a choke. And I don't see what being manly or pathetic has to do with it. The person I have called out for choking the most Recently is Raducanu. I am not asking her to be manly I am just asking her to win.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 22 Sep 2022, 12:05 pm

I can accept a three putt from 25 foot or so NOT being a choke, but a four foot three putt IS a choke in my opinion.

It is the context of the putt and the situation that matters. Had it been on hole 3 in round two, it would just be careless, but different situations bring different pressures.
Not sure what the problem is with the word choke. Seems reasonable enough as it's failing to perform under pressure.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 22 Sep 2022, 4:01 pm

Oh, FFS. The etymology of the word is based in the derisory nature of the stereotypical American sportsperson looking down on those unfortunate enough to let nerves affect a performance. The silver is for losers mindset. If you aren't interested in that, so be it. If you genuinely aren't using it with that sort of thought in mid, so be it. Knock yourselves out - use it to your heart's content.

I couldn't give a 4X if the person failing to cope w/ nerves is male or female, or anything else for that matter.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next