The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England - Summer Tour

+35
propdavid_london
Cyril
Rugby Fan
MichaelT
flyhalffactory
Armchairexpert
hugehandoff
Poorfour
king_carlos
Sharkey06
BigGee
cb
BigTrevsbigmac
BamBam
formerly known as Sam
yappysnap
Margin_Walker
WELL-PAST-IT
LordDowlais
Sgt_Pooly
Gooseberry
whatahitson
majesticimperialman
Yoda
TightHEAD
Heaf
nlpnlp
Mr Bounce
Cumbrian
Soul Requiem
rosbif
lostinwales
No 7&1/2
doctor_grey
Geordie
39 posters

Page 13 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 13 Empty England - Summer Tour

Post by Geordie Thu 25 Mar 2021, 3:25 pm

First topic message reminder :

After an "interesting" 6n...and with the Lions tour possibly going ahead, England have a chance to send a young Saxons side full of talent on the Summer tour to USA and Canada (if Covid permits)

They have 4 games pencilled in...

12th June; England v Barbarians (Suggestions it wont go ahead)

10th July; Scotland v England
17th July; USA v England
24th July; Canada v England

So looking to the future and the AI's who would you take on the tour? Assuming its 32/33 squad size.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 13 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by king_carlos Sat 05 Jun 2021, 1:11 am

Ben Curry was outstanding for Sale after the 2019/20 season restarted, continued that form when the 2021/22 season started prior to his injury and has picked up in the same place since returning from injury. Against Bristol last weekend he was phenomenal.

Back in 2017 Ben and Tom were on a similar pegging and both made the England tour to Argentina. Then Ben got a bad injury, Tom made his England debut and by the time Ben returned he weighed a lot less than Tom, was less physical and took time to recover. In about 18 months they went from similar physiques and abilities to Tom being an England starter that increasingly resembled David Pocock's build whilst Ben was playing England U20s again and looked a similar build to many prominent age grade flankers.

It's taken Ben longer to develop physically due to that mistimed injury but now he's bulked up and had time in senior rugby he looks an absolutely terrific openside.

I could see a lot of opensides touring with Earl, Ludlam, Curry and Reid all very good players.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sat 05 Jun 2021, 4:52 pm

I echo what k_c says above.

Ben Curry is a fantastic player in his own right, regardless of Tom's achievements. I went to watch the England-Baa-Baas match in 2019 when Ben was selected at 7 alongside Dombrandt at 6 with Harrison at 8. He genuinely was EVERYWHERE - the amount of tackles he made along with his support play was nothing short of miraculous.

He has certainly been unlucky with injuries but based on his comeback games with Sale recently he looks good to tour. When you think of how his injury affected him, if this hadn't happened and Ben had toured in Argentina we could have seen the Kamikaze Twins genuinely being twins with Tom at 6 and Ben at 7.

Guess we'll find out on Thursday if he'll get picked. I hope so - he deserves it.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 05 Jun 2021, 5:05 pm

Well after today...

George Mcguigan, Adam Radwan and Ted Hill must be in consideration

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Sat 05 Jun 2021, 6:40 pm

Didn't know much about Miles Reid, so this was a good read https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-9653493/Bath-flanker-Miles-Reid-close-England-call-wants-voice-change.html

Comes across as a very likeable guy, hope he does well

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 05 Jun 2021, 6:59 pm

Yeah I've heard his name mentioned a few times...seems to be another young flanker coming through

For the summer I'd love to see...

6 Ted Hill
7 Earl / B.Curry
8 Dombrandt

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 06 Jun 2021, 12:18 pm

George Martin had an outstanding game at 6 for Tigers. Man marked Nathan Hughes out the game with a couple of massive tackles that cut the big man in half as he came on his preferred big carry from the lineout. He had plenty of run up and only went backwards. Nice half break in the midfield as well as some solid lineout work for Martin as well. Nice selection headache for Eddie.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 06 Jun 2021, 12:39 pm

Seen more as a long term lock sam? Probably where I see him for England.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 06 Jun 2021, 1:11 pm

Yeah I want to see George Martin at lock in the summer.

4 Martin
5 Ribbans
6 Hill

23 Isiekwe

Now that's some physicality, mobility and size!!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 06 Jun 2021, 1:46 pm

So Sinkler won't be with England...so Hayes, Stuart and whom?

Williams?
Hill?
Painter?
Street?
A.n.Other?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun 06 Jun 2021, 2:59 pm

Hayes isn't at the the level of Williams/Stuart, but it will do him no harm being around the squad.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 06 Jun 2021, 3:31 pm

I'd say Heyes is of a similar level to Williams currently. Stuart is a little further ahead though has had some pretty iffy scrum showings including against Tigers where he conceded four penalties and a free kick at the scrum Vs Genge.

Ribbans is unlikely to feature after a red card for Saints. Best case scenario is 6 weeks down to three but with only one game left for Saints it would mean unavailability until at best the last friendly.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 06 Jun 2021, 4:53 pm

Oh seen those radwan tries now. Nice. Him and hassel-collins could put some serious pressure on this summer to the first teamers.

One thing that separates the very best is how quickly they improve. Look at may since his debut and he's continually improved as has guys like Curry. If those 2 build and want to improve they could be special players for us.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun 06 Jun 2021, 5:01 pm

I'm not seeing it with Heyes yet although he has potential. A few years of AP games from the bench and he'll there or there abouts, Williams is a step up for me.

Radwan is really kicking on...and he has raw pace which counts for a lot. Defence needs a bit of tightening up mind.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 06 Jun 2021, 5:18 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:I'm not seeing it with Heyes yet although he has potential. A few years of AP games from the bench and he'll there or there abouts, Williams is a step up for me.

Radwan is really kicking on...and he has raw pace which counts for a lot. Defence needs a bit of tightening up mind.

Williams is a solid player but has never kicked on like I expected him to given his serious size he just doesn't make enough impact. Heyes has a good workrate and is solid in the scrum. Not up to Cole's level but he doesn't get pushed around as proved yesterday where he merrily went through both Bristol looseheads. At 22 he's got 71 first team appearances to his name and he's plays at least 30 minutes every week (normally replaces Cole just after half time unless they rotate). I don't see a massive difference between the two, the difference is some size and some experience but Heyes is more consistent in terms of form. Williams is above average but never going to be good enough for England. There's no point selecting him anymore, I caveat that with unless there's an injury crisis.

Stuart and Heyes as starter and sub makes the most sense. Well actually I'd be tempted to go Heyes and Hill but Eddie won't be that risky and Stuart is still young and could probably do with more experience.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 06 Jun 2021, 8:11 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:I'd say Heyes is of a similar level to Williams currently. Stuart is a little further ahead though has had some pretty iffy scrum showings including against Tigers where he conceded four penalties and a free kick at the scrum Vs Genge.

Ribbans is unlikely to feature after a red card for Saints. Best case scenario is 6 weeks down to three but with only one game left for Saints it would mean unavailability until at best the last friendly.
I would guess the three week ban is most likely. But whether that invalidates him for the last test we have to see. Shame for him.

By the way, my understanding is the USA and Canada matches are full on test matches and only the Scotland A match is a friendly.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 06 Jun 2021, 8:28 pm

He had a great chance to out his hand up but yet another brain dead red. Idiot.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 07 Jun 2021, 6:49 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:He had a great chance to out his hand up but yet another brain dead red. Idiot.

When was his last red, I'm struggling to remember? Thought he had decent previous.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 07 Jun 2021, 7:27 am

Meant another as in another general example of people going too high. Just lower your tackle height!

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 07 Jun 2021, 9:51 am

Im sure they'll find a way of including him.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 07 Jun 2021, 12:52 pm

There's no limit on players so if its short enough they may be able to cap him. Stupid question potentially but do friendlies count for you ban? if not would he be available for the England A squad?

Jones seems to be talking down Smith, not unsurpirngly (did similar for Itoje).

“When the sun is shining the ball has got quicker and defences have struggled to get set. Some of these games don’t have the rigour and intensity that you need to see players perform under. You do see great games, though. The Sale-Bristol game, for instance, was a terrific game of rugby.”
“Marcus Smith has benefited from that quicker ball,” Jones said. “From seeing him at Brighton College back in 2015 I’ve watched him a lot. He’s got a nice balance to his game.”

Quirke, Rodd and the other Curry name dropped in the article below.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/jun/05/eddie-jones-planning-to-use-summer-fixtures-to-look-to-englands-future

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Mon 07 Jun 2021, 2:24 pm

The full quote about Smith was to the effect that he’d been through a period of playing to a pattern (presumably when Gustard was still in charge) but was now hitting a good balance of playing what’s in front of him and playing the percentages. It was part of an overall tone of wanting to crank up the attack this summer ahead of the 2023 RWC.

Of course, with Eddie it could all be a smokescreen, but he may well be ready to ring the changes.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 07 Jun 2021, 3:18 pm

I've seen those other comments and I agree his control of games and the balance in a team where they obviously do want to play a little looser has come on leaps and bounds in the last year or so. I just felt this was another line in the sand to say defences will be tougher and Smith ain't quite there. For me I think once his foot is in the door he'll be hard to shift especially if that is alongside someone like Randall.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 07 Jun 2021, 6:44 pm

Sinckler and Underhill were the two names tipped by the press as potential skippers for the tour. With Sinckler added to the Lions squad that presumably gives Underhill a very good shot at the captaincy.

The Mail name checked Ford and May as two players who will be rested. Ford may well be injured anyway judging by Tigers selection the last two weeks. Borthwick gives nothing away about injury status of players so it's impossible to know but I'd be very surprised if Ford was rested for the home game against Bristol with Champions Cup qualification up for grabs. Ford has been managing an achilles injury for a while I believe.

Lions - Mako, George, LCD, Sinckler, Itoje, Hill, Lawes, Curry, Simmonds, Farrell, Daly, Watson

Injured - Launchbury, Willis, Odogwu, Nowell, (possibly Ford)

Potentially unavailable for personal reasons - Youngs (ruled himself out the Lions tour), Marler (ruled himself out the Six Nations)

Bans potenitally impeding selection - Dunn (I think he'll be picked anyway), Ribbans (pending citing)

With the way things are coming together I'd guess that it will have to be a very new look squad as most here want, regardless of whether that would have been EJs plan. I think there will be a small handful of senior players such as Underhill, Billy and Slade with a whole host of newer faces.

The 2017 Argentina tour had 7 players with over 40 caps (Hartley, Launchbury, Robshaw, Wood, Haskell, Care, Brown) as well 2 more starters in Ford (35 caps) and May (25 caps) in the touring party. Even then it had 18 uncapped players in it! This squad will have less experience than that one by necessity if not by design.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 08 Jun 2021, 11:08 am

3 match ban for Ribbans so available for 1 of England's matches.

On captaincy I'm thinking it will be Ewels.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 08 Jun 2021, 11:25 am

Or is it 3 weeks?

The reports says 3 weeks not 3 match..

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 08 Jun 2021, 11:29 am

Yes I'm in the football mindset with 3 matches, but in application it will be 3 matches. Currently down as Bath, Bedford pre-season (3/9) and Ospreys Pre-season (10/9).

No 7&1/2

Geordie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 08 Jun 2021, 11:30 am

So if its weeks he will be available for all games...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 08 Jun 2021, 11:36 am

Its down as weeks but they've said that he will miss the matches detailed above. Given that if selected he wouldn't be available for Scotland A and USA.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 08 Jun 2021, 11:43 am

Well then i would suspect we see Ewell in all the games...and possibly George Martin moving to lock

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 10 Jun 2021, 9:30 am

What time is the squad announced? 11am?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 10 Jun 2021, 9:37 am

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 10 Jun 2021, 9:44 am

Am I right in thinking this squad isn't going to include anyone from Saracens or the 4 playoff teams, but players from the losing semi finalists will be added to it after they are knocked out?

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 10 Jun 2021, 10:05 am

Not a clue, don't know whether it will be in effect 2 different squads with people dropping out.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 10 Jun 2021, 10:54 am

The squad announcement is at noon today? So busy, I can't keep up.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 10 Jun 2021, 12:06 pm

From the RFU site:

FORWARDS

Jamie Blamire (Newcastle Falcons, uncapped)

Callum Chick (Newcastle Falcons, uncapped)

Trevor Davison (Newcastle Falcons, uncapped)

Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby, 21 caps)

Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers, 28 caps)

Joe Heyes (Leicester Tigers, uncapped)

Paul Hill (Northampton Saints, 5 caps)

Ted Hill (Worcester Warriors, 1 cap)

Lewis Ludlam (Northampton Saints, 8 caps)

Lewis Ludlow (Gloucester Rugby, uncapped)

George Martin (Leicester Tigers, 1 cap)

Chunya Munga (London Irish, uncapped)

Beno Obano (Bath Rugby, 1 cap)

Miles Reid (Bath Rugby, uncapped)

Sean Robinson (Newcastle Falcons, uncapped)

Jack Singleton (Gloucester Rugby, 3 caps)

Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby, 22 caps)

Harry Wells (Leicester Tigers, uncapped)

Tom Willis (Wasps, uncapped)

BACKS

Josh Bassett (Wasps, uncapped)

Joe Cokanasiga (Bath Rugby, 9 caps)

Tom de Glanville (Bath Rugby, uncapped)

Fraser Dingwall (Northampton Saints, uncapped)

Ollie Hassell-Collins (London Irish, uncapped)

Dan Kelly (Leicester Tigers, uncapped)

Ollie Lawrence (Worcester Warriors, 6 caps)

Alex Mitchell (Northampton Saints, uncapped)

Max Ojomoh (Bath Rugby, uncapped)

Tom Parton (London Irish, uncapped)

Adam Radwan (Newcastle Falcons, uncapped)

Dan Robson (Wasps, 12 caps)

Ben Spencer (Bath Rugby, 4 caps)

Freddie Steward (Leicester Tigers, uncapped)

Jacob Umaga (Wasps, uncapped)

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 10 Jun 2021, 12:09 pm

Was wondering if he'd have a look at Ojomoh. Nice to see Kelly there.

Can't see that there's a shocker there, no Loader is a bit surprising for me. And just realised Slieghtholme isnt there either.

RFU:
'An updated squad will reconvene on Sunday 20 June, ahead of the England A fixture against Scotland A at Mattioli Woods Welford Road, Leicester (Sunday 27 June, 2pm KO). Premiership finalists will not be available for selection for this squad.

Following the final, Jones will further update his squad for England’s two Test matches at Twickenham Stadium in July - USA on Sunday 4 July (2pm KO), and Canada on Saturday 10 July (3pm KO). All three fixtures will be shown live on Channel 4.

"This is the first squad of three and we’ll include players from the other clubs where appropriate, when they become available," said Jones. "We’ve also given some of our senior players the chance to get some important rest and recovery time after back-to-back seasons, and with no proper pre-season."

"For this group it’s a chance to come into the England environment and really show what they can do. We expect them to be enthusiastic, full of energy and we want them to know there is no limit to their horizon.

"There is a lot of talent in this squad but the challenge for them is to turn talent into performance. We’re really looking forward to working with this group of young players and see where we can take them. They have the opportunity to take on the world."

Like it personally, great to see that it is actually on tv!

Last edited by No 7&1/2 on Thu 10 Jun 2021, 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 10 Jun 2021, 12:16 pm

5 Falcons! Wow...Trevor Davison! Bigger Wow....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 10 Jun 2021, 12:16 pm

No Barbeary is the main surprise for me. Never heard of Davison either, thought Rodd would get a look in at prop

Props - Genge, Obano, Davison, Hill, Heyes
Hooker - Blamire, Singleton
Locks - Ewels, Martin, Robinson, Wells, Munga
Back row - Chick, Hill, Ludlam, Ludlow, Reid, Underhill, T Willis

SH - Robson, Spencer, Mitchell
FH - Umaga, De Glanville
Centre - Dingwall, Lawrence, Ojomoh, Kelly
Back 3 - Bassett, Cokanasiga, Hassel-Collins, Parton, Radwan, Steward

Think that's all right

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 10 Jun 2021, 12:19 pm

Umaga as the only flyhalf is a shame, really don't rate him. It's really always 50/50 as to whether he scores a try or Costa his team a try. With Smith and Simmonds both in the playoffs I expect to see them appear later on. The lack of an additional 10 places a lot of pressure on Umaga as well and we've seen Wasps tend to put another 10 either at 15 or 12 to help him. That could mean TDG gets the nod over Steward which would also be a shame as the first game is at WR and Steward has only had the chance to run out in front of a crowd there the once.

Trevor Davison? That's a way out of left field selection but otherwise the prop options look good with Genge/Obano and Heyes/Hill offering set piece and mobility. Blamire and Singleton similarly from hooker. Good front row options.

I'm hoping Robson is there as an older head in camp and that we see Mitchell get a proper go.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluxy Thu 10 Jun 2021, 12:20 pm

Bevan Rodd is Scottish isn't he?

Fluxy
Aviva Premiership Commissioner

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 10 Jun 2021, 12:25 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Umaga as the only flyhalf is a shame, really don't rate him. It's really always 50/50 as to whether he scores a try or Costa his team a try. With Smith and Simmonds both in the playoffs I expect to see them appear later on. The lack of an additional 10 places a lot of pressure on Umaga as well and we've seen Wasps tend to put another 10 either at 15 or 12 to help him. That could mean TDG gets the nod over Steward which would also be a shame as the first game is at WR and Steward has only had the chance to run out in front of a crowd there the once.

Trevor Davison? That's a way out of left field selection but otherwise the prop options look good with Genge/Obano and Heyes/Hill offering set piece and mobility. Blamire and Singleton similarly from hooker. Good front row options.

I'm hoping Robson is there as an older head in camp and that we see Mitchell get a proper go.

There will be a rejigged squad ahead of the A game. Personally don't think Harlequins will make it to the final.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 10 Jun 2021, 12:26 pm

Rodd qualifies for England and isn't able to be selected yet as Sale are in the semis.

No 7&1/2

formerly known as Sam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluxy Thu 10 Jun 2021, 12:29 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Rodd qualifies for England and isn't able to be selected yet as Sale are in the semis.

Good point well made

Fluxy

BamBam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 10 Jun 2021, 12:30 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:

Trevor Davison? That's a way out of left field selection .

Your telling me! And no McGuigan yet Blamire is in there.

Great to see Sean Robinson rewarded...hes class, but Calum Chick for me is the one. Been on fire this season...hes been really physical.

In Tom Willis, Dombrandt and CHick we really should be in good hands at 8.

Im really liking what i see in Tom Willis ....even over Dombrandt now.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 10 Jun 2021, 12:33 pm

And no Slightholme....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 10 Jun 2021, 12:34 pm

I imagine we'll see plenty drop out and players brought in over the next 2 squads.

Davison is not International quality but he's had a great year. I'd have him at Heyes level (other side) but at late 20's isn't going to kick on too much.

Sgt_Pooly

Geordie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 10 Jun 2021, 1:02 pm

So from that squad alone (ignoring the top 4 who will come in)

We would have something like:

1 Genge
2 Blamire / Singleton
3 Heyes
4 Ewells
5 Martin
6 Hill
7 Ludlum
8 Chick / Willis

9 Robson
10 Umaga
11 OCH
12 Lawrence
13 Kelly
14 Radwan
15 Steward

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 10 Jun 2021, 1:16 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:And no Slightholme....
that’s a surprise to me. I frankly thought he had a fantastic year, and was one of the best wings in the Premiership, attacking and defensively. I really don’t see the other wings offering what he does, including his toughness.

From. Saints POV, though, it’s nice to see Dingeall in the conversation, but I am not sure Dinger is at that international level. Hope he proves me wrong!

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 10 Jun 2021, 1:22 pm

Apparently he failed an HIA Doc....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 10 Jun 2021, 1:24 pm

June 20th the losing semi final players will be added for the A game v Scotland

Geordie

Back to top Go down