The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England - Summer Tour

Page 16 of 18 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty England - Summer Tour

Post by GeordieFalcon Thu 25 Mar - 15:25

First topic message reminder :

After an "interesting" 6n...and with the Lions tour possibly going ahead, England have a chance to send a young Saxons side full of talent on the Summer tour to USA and Canada (if Covid permits)

They have 4 games pencilled in...

12th June; England v Barbarians (Suggestions it wont go ahead)

10th July; Scotland v England
17th July; USA v England
24th July; Canada v England

So looking to the future and the AI's who would you take on the tour? Assuming its 32/33 squad size.

GeordieFalcon

Posts : 23890
Join date : 2011-03-31
Location : Newcastle

Back to top Go down


England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by Mr Bounce Sun 20 Jun - 22:52

Interesting to see that Ben Earl has not been retained. I am guessing that Eddie knows what he needs to about him and that he wants to look at Ben Curry, Ludlow, and Ludlam at 7 - Underhill of course already being in possession of the shirt when not injured.

This squad has the potential to give a pretty impressive A team with players looking to make an impression and hopefully get called in to the Full Cap side. I'm intrigued to see who stays, who goes and who comes in.

You could potentially see for the A side

1. Obano
2. Blamire
3. P. Hill
4. Martin
5. McNally
6. T. Hill
7. B.Curry
8. Chick
9. Mitchell
10. Umaga
11. Bassett
12. Ojomoh
13. Lawrence
14. Radwan
15. Steward

Mr Bounce

Posts : 2788
Join date : 2011-03-18
Location : East of Florida, West of Felixstowe

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by king_carlos Mon 21 Jun - 0:25

Mr Bounce wrote:Interesting to see that Ben Earl has not been retained. I am guessing that Eddie knows what he needs to about him and that he wants to look at Ben Curry, Ludlow, and Ludlam at 7 - Underhill of course already being in possession of the shirt when not injured.

I thought Earl looked like he took a knock in extra time but with the injury issues Bristol already had and no subs left he fought on. It wouldn't surprise me if that's injury related rather than selection. Perhaps we'll find out in the week though.

king_carlos

Posts : 7674
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Ankh-Morpork

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by doctor_grey Mon 21 Jun - 2:05

king_carlos wrote:
Mr Bounce wrote:Interesting to see that Ben Earl has not been retained. I am guessing that Eddie knows what he needs to about him and that he wants to look at Ben Curry, Ludlow, and Ludlam at 7 - Underhill of course already being in possession of the shirt when not injured.

I thought Earl looked like he took a knock in extra time but with the injury issues Bristol already had and no subs left he fought on. It wouldn't surprise me if that's injury related rather than selection. Perhaps we'll find out in the week though.
I am hoping it is just that Eddie knows what Earl can do. I think the reality is amongst all the selections only a small few will make it to the roster for the autumn internationals and beyond.

doctor_grey

Posts : 9414
Join date : 2011-04-30

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 21 Jun - 8:25

I'll read Jones' autobiography and still doubt I'd know his true reasons for some decisions.

No 7&1/2

Posts : 23488
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 21 Jun - 8:52

Mr Bounce wrote:Interesting to see that Ben Earl has not been retained. I am guessing that Eddie knows what he needs to about him and that he wants to look at Ben Curry, Ludlow, and Ludlam at 7 - Underhill of course already being in possession of the shirt when not injured.

This squad has the potential to give a pretty impressive A team with players looking to make an impression and hopefully get called in to the Full Cap side. I'm intrigued to see who stays, who goes and who comes in.

You could potentially see for the A side

1. Obano
2. Blamire
3. P. Hill
4. Martin
5. McNally
6. T. Hill
7. B.Curry
8. Chick
9. Mitchell
10. Umaga
11. Bassett
12. Ojomoh
13. Lawrence
14. Radwan
15. Steward

Not sure we'll see Martin at lock as he's only played there once for Tigers but won recent man of the match awards whilst playing 6. Ted Hill has played a couple to games at lock towards the end of the season so maybe could switch them round. I'd have Heyes over Hill as well, anyone who can play every game in a season as a 21/22 year old tighthead has earned the chance to start. Otherwise looks good. Can still have a nice mix of experience and youth on the bench from there as well.

formerly known as Sam

Posts : 16223
Join date : 2011-07-13
Age : 34
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by GeordieFalcon Mon 21 Jun - 8:59

Apparently they have been training with the front row..

1 Obano
2 Blamire
3 Davison

Oh how i would laugh if an England "A" / "Select side" actually started a game with 2 falcons in their front row...

GeordieFalcon

Posts : 23890
Join date : 2011-03-31
Location : Newcastle

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 21 Jun - 11:57

formerly known as Sam wrote:

Not sure we'll see Martin at lock as he's only played there once for Tigers but won recent man of the match awards whilst playing 6. Ted Hill has played a couple to games at lock towards the end of the season so maybe could switch them round. I'd have Heyes over Hill as well, anyone who can play every game in a season as a 21/22 year old tighthead has earned the chance to start. Otherwise looks good. Can still have a nice mix of experience and youth on the bench from there as well.

He only started 5 league games all season though....that's hardly deserving of jumping the queue over more established options.

If he impresses in training, perhaps more so than Hill etc, then maybe. But having a few premiership starts under your belt hardly screams "He must start".

Sgt_Pooly
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 34777
Join date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by king_carlos Mon 21 Jun - 12:24

GeordieFalcon wrote:Apparently they have been training with the front row..

1 Obano
2 Blamire
3 Davison

Oh how i would laugh if an England "A" / "Select side" actually started a game with 2 falcons in their front row...

What's Davison like at TH? I thought his stronger side was LH by a distance but to be honest I've not seen him play that much.

king_carlos

Posts : 7674
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Ankh-Morpork

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by GeordieFalcon Mon 21 Jun - 12:41

Well KC, i had always thought he was a LH who was comfortable covering TH...but by all accounts he is actually a TH.

He just seems comfortable either side to be honest...and he has improved considerably this season and last.

He's possibly Deans first name on the teamsheet ahead of even Wilson, Welch etc...so that will tell you how he rates him.

Doubt he'll challenge the squad when all lions, finalists etc are back. But this will have been great experience for him, and will only help our (Falcons) cause aswell, what he learns in this little spell will probably be huge for him.

GeordieFalcon

Posts : 23890
Join date : 2011-03-31
Location : Newcastle

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by king_carlos Mon 21 Jun - 14:02

GeordieFalcon wrote:Well KC, i had always thought he was a LH who was comfortable covering TH...but by all accounts he is actually a TH.

He just seems comfortable either side to be honest...and he has improved considerably this season and last.

He's possibly Deans first name on the teamsheet ahead of even Wilson, Welch etc...so that will tell you how he rates him.

Doubt he'll challenge the squad when all lions, finalists etc are back. But this will have been great experience for him, and will only help our (Falcons) cause aswell, what he learns in this little spell will probably be huge for him.

Cheers GF. Interesting insight. We need THs more than LHs so valuable if he can play TH.

I really like the look of Rodd at LH.

king_carlos

Posts : 7674
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Ankh-Morpork

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by king_carlos Mon 21 Jun - 14:17

1.Genge (c)
2.Blamire
3.Stuart
4.Martin
5.Ewels
6.Hill
7.Curry
8.Chick

9.Robson
10.Umaga

11.Cokanasiga
12.Kelly
13.Lawrence
14.Radwan
15.Malins

16.Capon
17.Rodd
18.Heyes
19.Wells
20.Ludlam
21.Randall
22.Ojomoh
23.Steward

I'm hoping for something like that against Scotland A with Underhill and Manu held back for the full tests.

Ideally I'd like Randall starting as I really rate him but I could see the Wasps partnership of Robson and Umaga for the A game.

king_carlos

Posts : 7674
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Ankh-Morpork

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by doctor_grey Mon 21 Jun - 15:07

Seems like a reasonable selection. Not sure how much I would use Underhill and Tuilagi against Canada or USA. Just enough to get them in a little game shape for the autumn. Maybe they come off the bench in each test for 20 or 30 minutes?

doctor_grey

Posts : 9414
Join date : 2011-04-30

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by GeordieFalcon Mon 21 Jun - 16:16

Is anyone just a bit non plussed about Manu being in there? Im just kind of at the stage now we need to be looking to identify new power centres (or just quality centres). Odogwu getting injured was a big shame...as he could have been the one.

Im just not sure you have can have much forward planning around Manu these days

GeordieFalcon

Posts : 23890
Join date : 2011-03-31
Location : Newcastle

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by GeordieFalcon Mon 21 Jun - 16:26

king_carlos wrote:1.Genge (c)
2.Blamire
3.Stuart
4.Martin
5.Ewels
6.Hill
7.Curry
8.Chick

9.Robson
10.Umaga

11.Cokanasiga
12.Kelly
13.Lawrence
14.Radwan
15.Malins

16.Capon
17.Rodd
18.Heyes
19.Wells
20.Ludlam
21.Randall
22.Ojomoh
23.Steward

I'm hoping for something like that against Scotland A with Underhill and Manu held back for the full tests.

Ideally I'd like Randall starting as I really rate him but I could see the Wasps partnership of Robson and Umaga for the A game.
Ludlum has been in some form...he could very well start at 7.

GeordieFalcon

Posts : 23890
Join date : 2011-03-31
Location : Newcastle

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by lostinwales Mon 21 Jun - 16:33

GeordieFalcon wrote:Is anyone just a bit non plussed about Manu being in there? Im just kind of at the stage now we need to be looking to identify new power centres (or just quality centres). Odogwu getting injured was a big shame...as he could have been the one.

Im just not sure you have can have much forward planning around Manu these days

He's such a unique player you will not find a like for like replacement. We do need to assume he's not going to be there, even if we do get some more mileage out of him

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Posts : 10901
Join date : 2011-06-09
Location : Out of Wales :)

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 21 Jun - 17:23

Jones seems to be wanting some experience and jewels through the team. Having a guy like Tuilagi means guaranteed quality for these guys to work around. Seeing what is necessary in training and match day prep and a backup if the match is going pear shaped. I don't think him being there will stop the others getting decent match time. And let's face it the a game is being brought back to ensure players are tied to us.

No 7&1/2

Posts : 23488
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 21 Jun - 18:06

Sgt_Pooly wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:

Not sure we'll see Martin at lock as he's only played there once for Tigers but won recent man of the match awards whilst playing 6. Ted Hill has played a couple to games at lock towards the end of the season so maybe could switch them round. I'd have Heyes over Hill as well, anyone who can play every game in a season as a 21/22 year old tighthead has earned the chance to start. Otherwise looks good. Can still have a nice mix of experience and youth on the bench from there as well.

He only started 5 league games all season though....that's hardly deserving of jumping the queue over more established options.

If he impresses in training, perhaps more so than Hill etc, then maybe. But having a few premiership starts under your belt hardly screams "He must start".

You sure only 5? I know he was England for a few weeks but he did start several towards the end of the season and had 14 appearances in total. Got man of the match in the final game of the season, a game that also featured Tom Willis and Brad Shields.

In fact looking back he started against Wasps, Bristol, Quins, Sale, Bath, Quins and Bath. Not including the European games he started. He would have played more if not for being in the England squad on stand by and then on the bench for two games as well.

He's been in the England squad, got a taste under Jones and went away and improved afterwards. Given the current alternative options it would be a case of someone coming from outside and overtaking him.

I get the Manu inclusion. Eddie is giving him the chance to get match fit in case the Lions need to call him up in case of injury. Not sure it's the best idea as we need to be finding a way to play without him.

formerly known as Sam

Posts : 16223
Join date : 2011-07-13
Age : 34
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by king_carlos Mon 21 Jun - 18:12

Martin started 10 games this season, 4 bench appearances. 3 starts in the Challenge Cup and 7 in the Premiership. Factoring in missing the start of the season with a knee injury and the Six Nations bubble he's got a decent amount of game time under his belt still.

Given the squad named I'd like to see them take the gamble and play Martin in the second row. I think it will be his best position going forward, we have plenty of back rows anyway and games like these are the time to have a look at young talent.

king_carlos

Posts : 7674
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Ankh-Morpork

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 22 Jun - 5:12

formerly known as Sam wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:

Not sure we'll see Martin at lock as he's only played there once for Tigers but won recent man of the match awards whilst playing 6. Ted Hill has played a couple to games at lock towards the end of the season so maybe could switch them round. I'd have Heyes over Hill as well, anyone who can play every game in a season as a 21/22 year old tighthead has earned the chance to start. Otherwise looks good. Can still have a nice mix of experience and youth on the bench from there as well.

He only started 5 league games all season though....that's hardly deserving of jumping the queue over more established options.

If he impresses in training, perhaps more so than Hill etc, then maybe. But having a few premiership starts under your belt hardly screams "He must start".

You sure only 5? I know he was England for a few weeks but he did start several towards the end of the season and had 14 appearances in total. Got man of the match in the final game of the season, a game that also featured Tom Willis and Brad Shields.

In fact looking back he started against Wasps, Bristol, Quins, Sale, Bath, Quins and Bath. Not including the European games he started. He would have played more if not for being in the England squad on stand by and then on the bench for two games as well.

He's been in the England squad, got a taste under Jones and went away and improved afterwards. Given the current alternative options it would be a case of someone coming from outside and overtaking him.


Yea, he started only 5. Quins, Bristol, Exeter, Sale and Worcester and 4 in the Euro games.......9 in total.

Are you sure he got man of the match against Wasps as he only played 25mins from the bench......Martin is documented as man of the match in most correspondence.

Basically my point is, he's a young lad who isn't close to being first choice for his club. Let him develop, there's no need to heap too much pressure on him, especially for a prop at 22.

Sgt_Pooly
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 34777
Join date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 22 Jun - 6:37

https://www.leicestertigers.com/match/gallagher-premiership-rugby/was-vs-lei/2021-06-12

He started Vs Wasps. At blindside. Or are we talking about different things?

formerly known as Sam

Posts : 16223
Join date : 2011-07-13
Age : 34
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 22 Jun - 6:39

Yes we are....I'm talking about Heyes...you Martin! lol

I agree, Martin should should be there or there abouts.

Sgt_Pooly
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 34777
Join date : 2011-04-27

formerly known as Sam likes this post

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 22 Jun - 7:51

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Yes we are....I'm talking about Heyes...you Martin! lol

I agree, Martin should should be there or there abouts.

The sub front row at Tigers has been different to most teams this season as Borthwick tends to sub the entire front row off before 45 minutes. That way both front rows get roughly a half each and stay fresh across the season. The only times he didn't tend to do that was in Europe where we were naming Whitcombe, Dolly, Hurd as the reserve front row at 20/21/22 in age and towards the end of the season where Genge was left on for longer as he was fit and in form whilst due to injuries our reserve LH was 20 and still in the development squad.

So Heyes will have had more minutes than most reserve tightheads but he's still learning his trade behind Cole. Cole still being one of if not the best scrummaging tighthead in the league even though his overall game has declined. Cole has had better form this season probably stemming from Borthwick's rotation with Heyes. Heyes tends to do the second half as he's more mobile and the game tends to open up then. They tried it the other way round, can't remember the game, and Cole just didn't have the same impact off the bench as he does starting. Heyes is the first Tiger in 20 years to play in every game of a season.

I'd have Heyes starting the A game but then revert to Stuart for the tests and let Heyes and Paul Hill fight it out for the bench spot. Heyes and Hill both getting minutes Vs Scotland A, Hill being the more mobile of the two and Heyes being the better at scrum time (not by much) makes sense to have them Heyes starting and Hill as impact. As with Borthwick's tactics I wouldn't put it past Eddie to make changes early after a long season.

formerly known as Sam

Posts : 16223
Join date : 2011-07-13
Age : 34
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by GeordieFalcon Tue 22 Jun - 8:18

Trevor Davison is already set for the TH spot Sam... Whistle Run

GeordieFalcon

Posts : 23890
Join date : 2011-03-31
Location : Newcastle

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 22 Jun - 9:12

Heyes looks very good. At the same age so did Hill but he took a few steps back over the last few years. Really only this season when I've thought he looked good enough for England again and really pushed past Painter too. Will be intriguing to see what this match brings the old Saxons were very rarely if ever coached by the full England coach were they? Can't remember a time they were anyway while guys like Mallinder were given the reins.

No 7&1/2

Posts : 23488
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by BigGee Tue 22 Jun - 9:36


BigGee
Admin
Admin

Posts : 11666
Join date : 2013-11-05
Location : London

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by GeordieFalcon Tue 22 Jun - 11:16

Right on Cue...Tuilagi withdrawn due to injury replaced by Dingwall...

GeordieFalcon

Posts : 23890
Join date : 2011-03-31
Location : Newcastle

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 22 Jun - 11:58

GeordieFalcon wrote:Trevor Davison is already set for the TH spot Sam... Whistle Run

If he's pushed past Hill and Heyes in training then fair play to him.

formerly known as Sam

Posts : 16223
Join date : 2011-07-13
Age : 34
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by GeordieFalcon Thu 24 Jun - 13:57

Miles Reid now out of the squad with a "facial fracture"

No replacement announced...

GeordieFalcon

Posts : 23890
Join date : 2011-03-31
Location : Newcastle

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by lostinwales Thu 24 Jun - 15:51

GeordieFalcon wrote:Miles Reid now out of the squad with a "facial fracture"

No replacement announced...

No lack of injuries in training for the Lions and England

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Posts : 10901
Join date : 2011-06-09
Location : Out of Wales :)

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 24 Jun - 16:03

GeordieFalcon wrote:Miles Reid now out of the squad with a "facial fracture"

No replacement announced...

Bad luck that, his form was very good for Bath at the end of the season, he deserved a chance.

formerly known as Sam

Posts : 16223
Join date : 2011-07-13
Age : 34
Location : Leicestershire

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by doctor_grey Thu 24 Jun - 18:00

lostinwales wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:Miles Reid now out of the squad with a "facial fracture"

No replacement announced...

No lack of injuries in training for the Lions and England
I will bet Saracens hired hit men....

doctor_grey

Posts : 9414
Join date : 2011-04-30

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 28 Jun - 8:42

I'm assuming the final refresh of the squad will be this morning. Reckon there'll be any surprises?

No 7&1/2

Posts : 23488
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by BamBam Mon 28 Jun - 10:21

Jack Kenningham seriously impressed me on Saturday. We've got so many back rowers it probably would be a surprise if he is selected, but would be difficult to argue on merit!

BamBam

Posts : 16869
Join date : 2011-03-17
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by lostinwales Mon 28 Jun - 10:40

So. Does Lynagh offer anything more than the existing options coming through and would he choose England over Australia (or Italy)?

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Posts : 10901
Join date : 2011-06-09
Location : Out of Wales :)

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by Fluxy Mon 28 Jun - 11:59

BamBam wrote:Jack Kenningham seriously impressed me on Saturday. We've got so many back rowers it probably would be a surprise if he is selected, but would be difficult to argue on merit!

Seriously impressed with him. He seems to be in the same bracket as Willis over the ball, but generally very physical both sides of the ball as well. Would help with the lineout too, as Eddie seems to want a bigger six. Could easily see him moving back across the row to facilitate Evans return after injury.

Fluxy
Aviva Premiership Commissioner
Aviva Premiership Commissioner

Posts : 12072
Join date : 2011-01-28
Age : 30
Location : Isle of Wight

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by lostinwales Mon 28 Jun - 12:12

Fluxy wrote:
BamBam wrote:Jack Kenningham seriously impressed me on Saturday. We've got so many back rowers it probably would be a surprise if he is selected, but would be difficult to argue on merit!

Seriously impressed with him. He seems to be in the same bracket as Willis over the ball, but generally very physical both sides of the ball as well. Would help with the lineout too, as Eddie seems to want a bigger six. Could easily see him moving back across the row to facilitate Evans return after injury.

Means shifting Chisholm and that isn't easy. Not watched the game all the way through yet but interested to see Simmonds take the ball at the lineout.

Who knows what Eddy thinks but it has to be Dombrandt/Simmonds at 8 with more pressure coming through from the likes of Chick, Willis and Clement over the next couple of seasons.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Posts : 10901
Join date : 2011-06-09
Location : Out of Wales :)

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by Poorfour Mon 28 Jun - 12:14

Fluxy wrote:
BamBam wrote:Jack Kenningham seriously impressed me on Saturday. We've got so many back rowers it probably would be a surprise if he is selected, but would be difficult to argue on merit!

Seriously impressed with him. He seems to be in the same bracket as Willis over the ball, but generally very physical both sides of the ball as well. Would help with the lineout too, as Eddie seems to want a bigger six. Could easily see him moving back across the row to facilitate Evans return after injury.

Yes, he's in the 6.5 category... apparently one of his nicknames within the squad is "Baby Robshaw". His decision-making isn't quite at that level yet, but physically he is there and he has the indefatigable motor - he's also considerably faster and a more powerful carrier. England have a good crop of back row forwards at the moment, so he will have to push past some big names to claim a space, but I could see Eddie wanting to have a look at him as an "apprentice". That said, he's come up against some formidable operators in his short run of games and never looked out of place.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Posts : 4564
Join date : 2011-10-01

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 28 Jun - 12:52

I do like Kennigham, not as sold on Lynagh, think he looks good but not spectacular as yet.

No 7&1/2

Posts : 23488
Join date : 2012-10-20

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by Poorfour Mon 28 Jun - 17:02

No 7&1/2 wrote:I do like Kennigham, not as sold on Lynagh, think he looks good but not spectacular as yet.

Lynagh is more than just his dad's name - he'd keep several more senior wings out of the Quins team on merit. But there are lots of good wings around at the moment, and it's not even clear that he wants to play for England over Australia or Italy.

Anyway, Kenningham has been called up, along with Smith, Marchant, Dombrandt. No Chiefs, but I guess the best of them are off with the Lions

EDIT: Sorry, I missed Slade.


Last edited by Poorfour on Mon 28 Jun - 17:28; edited 1 time in total
Poorfour
Poorfour

Posts : 4564
Join date : 2011-10-01

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by Mr Bounce Mon 28 Jun - 17:05

Final England squad announced - from the RFU Website:

FORWARDS
Jamie Blamire (Newcastle Falcons, uncapped)
Callum Chick (Newcastle Falcons, uncapped)
Ben Curry (Sale Sharks, uncapped)
Trevor Davison (Newcastle Falcons, uncapped)
Alex Dombrandt (Harlequins, uncapped)
Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby, 21 caps)
Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers, 28 caps)
Joe Heyes (Leicester Tigers, uncapped)
Paul Hill (Northampton Saints, 5 caps)
Ted Hill (Worcester Warriors, 1 cap)
Jack Kenningham (Harlequins, uncapped)
Curtis Langdon (Sale Sharks, uncapped)
Lewis Ludlam (Northampton Saints, 8 caps)
Lewis Ludlow (Gloucester Rugby, uncapped)
Josh McNally (Bath Rugby, uncapped)
Chunya Munga (London Irish, uncapped)
Beno Obano (Bath Rugby, 1 cap)
Gabriel Oghre (Wasps, uncapped)
Bevan Rodd (Sale Sharks, uncapped)
Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby, 22 caps)
Harry Wells (Leicester Tigers, uncapped)

BACKS
Josh Bassett (Wasps, uncapped)
Joe Cokanasiga (Bath Rugby, 9 caps)
George Furbank (Northampton Saints, 3 caps)
Dan Kelly (Leicester Tigers, uncapped)
Ollie Lawrence (Worcester Warriors, 6 caps)
Max Malins (Bristol Bears, on loan from Saracens, 7 caps)
Joe Marchant (Harlequins, 5 caps)
Alex Mitchell (Northampton Saints, uncapped)
Max Ojomoh (Bath Rugby, uncapped)
Adam Radwan (Newcastle Falcons, uncapped)
Harry Randall (Bristol Bears, uncapped)
Dan Robson (Wasps, 12 caps)
Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs, 38 caps)
Marcus Smith (Harlequins, uncapped)
Freddie Steward (Leicester Tigers, uncapped)
Jacob Umaga (Wasps, uncapped)

No Spencer. Slade is back in, but the biggest story has to be no Joe Simmonds. Eddie presumably prefers what Smith and Umaga can offer. Interesting that Ohgre is back in too. Hoping that some of these youngsters get a chance to shine.

Quite a few talking points as Slade is the only Chiefs player in the squad. Kenningham is also in.

Mr Bounce

Posts : 2788
Join date : 2011-03-18
Location : East of Florida, West of Felixstowe

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by BamBam Mon 28 Jun - 17:07

England Rugby wrote:
England will take on USA on Sunday 4 July (2pm KO) and Canada on Saturday 10 July (3pm KO), with both games at Twickenham Stadium.

Harlequins’ Joe Marchant and uncapped trio Alex Dombrandt, Jack Kenningham and Marcus Smith join the squad after winning the Gallagher Premiership final last weekend.

Exeter Chiefs’ Henry Slade has also been called up, while Wasps’ Gabriel Oghre has returned to the squad after being involved in the first training week. The squad includes 23 uncapped players. Chunya Munga is in camp as an apprentice player.

Ollie Sleightholme was unavailable for selection after suffering concussion in training.

Jones said: “This is the third and final phase of our selection.  We have a squad here full of talent and potential, with 23 uncapped players who have the chance to make their England debut.

“We’ve had two good weeks working and training hard and now we look forward to seeing how far we can go.”

Both matches are live on Channel 4.


Last edited by BamBam on Mon 28 Jun - 17:08; edited 1 time in total

BamBam

Posts : 16869
Join date : 2011-03-17
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by BamBam Mon 28 Jun - 17:07

Beat me to it! I'll leave the blurb in..

BamBam

Posts : 16869
Join date : 2011-03-17
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 28 Jun - 17:14

Didn't realise Lynagh is only 20! Impressive....not sure he'll make an Int wing, but he's a cracking player.

Sgt_Pooly
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 34777
Join date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 28 Jun - 17:24

Chunya Munga - had to Google this one. It doesn’t seem like he’s featured much for LI? I also see Falcons have a few forwards in, a team on the up Smile.

*Ah I see Munga is an apprentice player, so he must be highly rated. His 6’7 and 120kg frame should allow him to go far in the modern game.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 12528
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by king_carlos Mon 28 Jun - 17:32

Only surprise I can immediately see is Martin out. The England u20s have some forward injuries though so I do wonder if Martin might be added there. Perhaps the coaches think he'll gain more by playing 80 minutes at lock for the u20s than covering blindside here.

Putting things into a rough squad order - some guess work on where certain players will be preferred.

1.Genge, Obano, Rodd
2.Blamire, Langdon, Oghre
3.Heyes, Hill, Davison
4.Wells, McNally
5.Ewels, Munga*
6.Ludlow, Hill, Kenningham
7.Underhill, Curry, Ludlam
8.Dombrandt, Chick

9.Randall, Robson, Mitchell
10.Smith, Umaga

11.Cokanasiga, Bassett
12.Lawrence, Kelly, Ojomoh
13.Slade, Marchant
14.Radwan
15.Malins, Furbank, Steward

I really like that squad. Thoughts off the top of my head:

- The locks are a touch uninspiring, given that I'm glad Munga is there as an apprentice player

- 3 out and out wingers with 3 fullbacks suggests to me that Malins might be used on the wing more as he has been for Bristol

- Randall and Smith could be an electric partnership I can't wait to see

- I'm delighted that Radwan has been retained as I think he's a player who could replace May longer term and partner Watson

- Kenningham's rise has been remarkable and he looks another terrific flanker

- I'll be interested to see if Marchant can leapfrog Slade on merit during these games

king_carlos

Posts : 7674
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Ankh-Morpork

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 28 Jun - 17:34

mikey_dragon wrote:Chunya Munga - had to Google this one. It doesn’t seem like he’s featured much for LI? I also see Falcons have a few forwards in, a team on the up Smile.

*Ah I see Munga is an apprentice player, so he must be highly rated. His 6’7 and 120kg frame should allow him to go far in the modern game.

We're quite happy!

Chick (no8) and Blamire could kick on in the forwards in positions we're need players. Radwan on the wing is very special...LRZ pace, very exciting. Check out some of his tries Mikey on YouTube, crazy pace!

Sgt_Pooly
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 34777
Join date : 2011-04-27

formerly known as Sam likes this post

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by lostinwales Mon 28 Jun - 17:35

Eddie obviously rates Umaga- and having watched most of the final Smith must be a shoe-in. He has become a very accomplished FH.

I reckon you could pick a pretty good England representative team just out the qualifying players on Saturday.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Posts : 10901
Join date : 2011-06-09
Location : Out of Wales :)

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by doctor_grey Mon 28 Jun - 17:36

Poorfour wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:I do like Kennigham, not as sold on Lynagh, think he looks good but not spectacular as yet.

Lynagh is more than just his dad's name - he'd keep several more senior wings out of the Quins team on merit. But there are lots of good wings around at the moment, and it's not even clear that he wants to play for England over Australia or Italy.

Anyway, Kenningham has been called up, along with Smith, Marchant, Dombrandt. No Chiefs, but I guess the best of them are off with the Lions

EDIT: Sorry, I missed Slade.
Funny about Lynagh. His old man said in some interview that he preferred (or maybe just hoped, I can't recall exactly), that his son would play for Australia. Of course, he said that whilst living in London.....

doctor_grey

Posts : 9414
Join date : 2011-04-30

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by BamBam Mon 28 Jun - 17:39

Think Marchant might be viewed as a wing option too.

Chunya Munga and the Willis brothers apparently all came from the same club side in Reading at different times. Must be something in the water down there

BamBam

Posts : 16869
Join date : 2011-03-17
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by Poorfour Mon 28 Jun - 17:45

lostinwales wrote:Eddie obviously rates Umaga- and having watched most of the final Smith must be a shoe-in. He has become a very accomplished FH.

I reckon you could pick a pretty good England representative team just out the qualifying players on Saturday.

Let's have a go:

Marler LCD Williams
Symons Hill
Simmonds Kenningham Dombrandt
Care Smith
O'Flaherty Devoto Marchant Lynagh
Nowell

On current form, I'd back that against a heck of a lot of full international teams.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Posts : 4564
Join date : 2011-10-01

lostinwales likes this post

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour - Page 16 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 18 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum