The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Senior golfers and loss of distance

+2
LadyPutt
incontinentia
6 posters

Go down

Senior golfers and loss of distance Empty Senior golfers and loss of distance

Post by incontinentia Fri 16 Apr 2021, 12:04 pm

Hi all. My Dad loves his golf but has become a very short hitter in recent years (he's 72 now), which has reduced his enjoyment of the game. He drives the ball about 150 metres. I would like to get him a new set of clubs in the hope technology can help with this. I'm thinking that by getting graphite shafts instead of steel in the irons and maybe lengthening the shafts an inch or two, in addition to adding a 7 or 9 wood might add up to some gains.

Any thoughts or experiences on this?

Many thanks.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Senior golfers and loss of distance Empty Re: Senior golfers and loss of distance

Post by LadyPutt Fri 16 Apr 2021, 12:14 pm

Definitely graphite shafts in his irons, I’m surprised he hasn’t had them before. Senior shafts in his driver and any fairway woods are also a must. I would suggest going to a pro for a proper fitting to see what exactly suits him. Maybe a mixture of woods, hybrids and irons? Best to consult an expert IMO. I was fitted last year and it has greatly improved my game and I am enjoying it more.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

incontinentia likes this post

Back to top Go down

Senior golfers and loss of distance Empty Re: Senior golfers and loss of distance

Post by dynamark Fri 16 Apr 2021, 12:43 pm

Graphite all the way although I have yet to succumb.However most enjoyable round I ever had was Adeje in Tenerife with a rented set of Cobra graphites you can feel the clubhead moving like its on the end of a rope.Bigger issue and a mate of mine(80 yo) had a letter published in Golf mag about this is the sudden loss of distance over a short time and hence course can become almost unplayable and handicap is never enough.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Fri 16 Apr 2021, 3:36 pm

Definitely get him to go for a fitting. I play in my clubs Seniors Group although I am one of the younger members at 60. Just bought myself some new woods (1,3,5,7) Mavriks. They go miles. Has he also talked about being tired? That can reduce his enjoyment. One friend of mine in my regular group is 82 and is entitled to a free buggy. Made a significant difference to his game.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 16 Apr 2021, 6:06 pm

Thanks all.

Yes fitting is a must, I'm hoping graphite shafts (especially in the irons) can make a big difference.

INW- he hasnt complained of tiredness in the past, but he recently had heart bypass surgery so when he does start playing again in the next few months the need for technological help will be much greater!
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Fri 16 Apr 2021, 7:31 pm

incontinentia wrote:INW- he hasnt complained of tiredness in the past, but he recently had heart bypass surgery so when he does start playing again in the next few months the need for technological help will be much greater!

This is exactly why my 82 year old mate now uses a buggy. He felt ill after a round, got himself checked out and - long story short - had a stent fitted to a blood vessel around heart. Buggy keeps him going.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 19 Apr 2021, 10:58 am

Yep, I'm beginning to see some initial signs (at only 58 ffs) that strength but more importantly flexibility begin to wane. The decline is irreversible but with some effort you can slow the decline somewhat with plenty of strengthening & flexibility workouts. Yoga in particular can help.

Technically speaking the end result will be a drop in clubhead speed. So a custom fit will determine the clubhead speed amongst other things and therefore guide shaft selection. Even with a good stretching and flexibility regime there will still be some decline and so a custom fit result will have a limited period where it is accurate.

JAS

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Tue 27 Apr 2021, 10:16 pm

Don't read too much into shots hit on cold windy days. Air temperature has a very significant effect on how far the ball flies. Add in the fact that playing in lots of clothes limits your ability to swing freely, and cold weather reduces your flexibility and it's easy to think you are losing distance when really you aren't.

I'm all for getting the right gear but in reality we should have a set of clubs for golf in January, and a different set for golf in July.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 28 Apr 2021, 10:13 am

George1507 wrote:Don't read too much into shots hit on cold windy days. Air temperature has a very significant effect on how far the ball flies. Add in the fact that playing in lots of clothes limits your ability to swing freely, and cold weather reduces your flexibility and it's easy to think you are losing distance when really you aren't.

I'm all for getting the right gear but in reality we should have a set of clubs for golf in January, and a different set for golf in July.

Or maybe just have July Clubs and in January either

1. Fy somewhere that feels like July
2. Just do indoor exercise or just range work
3. Forget golf for a few months and go do something like hillwalking

Goodness me the me of 10 years ago would NEVER have said that

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Wed 28 Apr 2021, 12:19 pm

JAS wrote:
George1507 wrote:Don't read too much into shots hit on cold windy days. Air temperature has a very significant effect on how far the ball flies. Add in the fact that playing in lots of clothes limits your ability to swing freely, and cold weather reduces your flexibility and it's easy to think you are losing distance when really you aren't.

Or maybe just have July Clubs and in January either

1. Fy somewhere that feels like July
2. Just do indoor exercise or just range work
3. Forget golf for a few months and go do something like hillwalking

Goodness me the me of 10 years ago would NEVER have said that

Yes, I'm heading off for 2 months at the turn of next year. I had intended to do it this year, but it didn't happen for obvious reasons.

I do like playing golf on cold crisp days in the winter, especially on a links. But for every cold, bright crisp day there are a dozen wet, dreary, windy cool days that just sap your spirit. I'm fed up of playing on muddy courses with temporary tees and greens.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Wed 28 Apr 2021, 12:49 pm

Good to hear from George.I find the frustrating thing with age is that you can still putt.play the little chips,bunker shots etc but the trouble is you are taking 3 to get where you used to in 2 !

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Wed 28 Apr 2021, 6:41 pm

dynamark wrote:Good to hear from George.I find the frustrating thing with age is that you can still putt.play the little chips,bunker shots etc but the trouble is you are taking 3 to get where you used to in 2 !

Funny you should say that...

In my long and varied golf career there have been very few occasions when everything was working well together. My driving has always been quite good, but the rest of it has come and gone like money in the bank. So last year I spent a lot of time practicing my irons and putting. I really worked at it.

This season I've been hitting it beautifully from tee to green. My putting has been quite good too - although I haven't holed many putts many of them have been quite close. I seldom three putt. What's gone utterly though is the little chips from round the green that you mention. No excuses, I am really bad at them now. I feel good if I can just get the ball on the green. Most of the time I chunk it a yard or it hurtles through the green like a cover drive.

I know part of it is because the fairways at this time of year are patchy and bare, and especially this year there's been hardly any growth. But for the time being, I'm resorting to using a putter. It's OK when I'm 10 feet off the green but I look pretty stupid putting from 20 yards off the green.

I have practiced chipping quite a bit lately. It's helped a bit from the rough but if I practice from thin bare lies I just get worse. I have practiced with different clubs, different thoughts, a different set of wedges. So far nothing has helped. I'm in despair. If anyone has any ideas for overcoming my mental block and complete lack of confidence then contribute on here and I'll try it.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Wed 28 Apr 2021, 6:47 pm

George1507 wrote:I have practiced with different clubs.................... If anyone has any ideas for overcoming my mental block and complete lack of confidence then contribute on here and I'll try it.

I use a chipper. Don't care what anyone thinks. It works for me. Use a putting stroke.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down