The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+20
Be_the_ball
Davie
BlueCoverman
super_realist
I'm never wrong
ralphjohn69
Galted
wadey101
westisbest
George1507
Soul Requiem
JAS
McLaren
JuliusHMarx
pedro
Duty281
superflyweight
incontinentia
beninho
dynamark
24 posters

Page 17 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by dynamark Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:41 pm

First topic message reminder :

Ben Leicester have been fortunate to find wealthy owners who saved us from a deal of trouble but they could not be accused of throwing stupid money around and disregarding the fans.The PL winning team was assembled from a bunch of frees ,has beens and cheap buys I think Ulloa was the top buy at about £9m.What they then did as some players moved on for big money was start throwing some of that money about to try to maintain position with varying degrees of success.The Chairman gives away free beer and cakes on his birthday and has given a lot to local organisations including a childrens hospital ,We have been very very lucky.
I think the German teams have a different voting structure where fans have a big say.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Pal Joey Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:05 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:Oh, so now I'm not allowed to express an opinion?

I never said that. Now you're making things up.
Next you'll be saying The Prince cartoon is a priceless work of animation, I bet. Well, you're entitled to your opinion.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by superflyweight Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:08 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:Oh, so now I'm not allowed to express an opinion?

Get a grip.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:20 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
Galted wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:
beninho wrote:Love the BMX racing.

Once every four (five) years I find myself being a fan of most sports despite not paying them any attention in the intervening years. TV doesn't do the BMX justice, you don't get a sense of how much power the riders possess unlike track cycling. The kayaking and conoeing is especially impressive.

Equestrian, archery and skateboarding can do one though.

Equestrian and archery should be combined into one sport, preferably using skateboarders as targets.

I disagree, because what is the point of this thread if we don't take up opposing sides, just for the sake of it?

So what you're saying is that I'm mentally ill?

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:24 pm

Galted wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:
Galted wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:

Once every four (five) years I find myself being a fan of most sports despite not paying them any attention in the intervening years. TV doesn't do the BMX justice, you don't get a sense of how much power the riders possess unlike track cycling. The kayaking and conoeing is especially impressive.

Equestrian and archery should be combined into one sport, preferably using skateboarders as targets.

I disagree, because what is the point of this thread if we don't take up opposing sides, just for the sake of it?

You don't need to be a psychiatrist to diagnose that one.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:26 pm

Galted wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:
Galted wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:

I haven't changed my stance on this. It's easy to understand and it's hardly controversial.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:35 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
Galted wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:
Galted wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:

I haven't changed my stance on this. It's easy to understand and it's hardly controversial.

It's easy to categorise someone just because they attack priests in Edinburgh Cathedral and shout abuse at hit and run victims and the RNLI but you clearly haven't read much about mental issues on social media so I'm not really sure why I should bother with your opinion.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:36 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:
Galted wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:
Galted wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:

You don't need to be a psychiatrist to diagnose that one.

Laugh

thought that was superflyweight for a moment.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:40 pm

Galted wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:
Galted wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:
Galted wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:

It's easy to categorise someone just because they attack priests in Edinburgh Cathedral and shout abuse at hit and run victims and the RNLI but you clearly haven't read much about mental issues on social media so I'm not really sure why I should bother with your opinion.

Glad to see you admit you're wrong.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:43 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
Galted wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:
Galted wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:
Galted wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:

Glad to see you admit you're wrong.

Apology accepted.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:31 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:Regardless of the arguments about illegal immigrants, the RNLI's job is to rescue people who are in peril at sea and save lives without judgement. Anyone who criticizes them for doing that, as Farage did, is behaving like a w*nker.

Exactly.

Does super_realist envision a scenario where people drowning at sea have to wait while the lifeboat crew verify their nationality and immigration status? Only rescue them out of the sea once they have shown a passport. Doh
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:32 pm

McLaren wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:Regardless of the arguments about illegal immigrants, the RNLI's job is to rescue people who are in peril at sea and save lives without judgement. Anyone who criticizes them for doing that, as Farage did, is behaving like a w*nker.

Exactly.

Does super_realist envision a scenario where people drowning at sea have to wait while the lifeboat crew verify their nationality and immigration status? Only rescue them out of the sea once they have shown a passport. Doh

Get them on board, process them then chuck them back if they don't fit the correct criteria.

Can you imagine?

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:33 pm

On a more general note Super, what scares you about people coming into the UK via either "legitimate" or illegal means?

What are the risks to the UK if this is not totally clamped down on?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:34 pm

lostinwales wrote:

Get them on board, process them then chuck them back if they don't fit the correct criteria.

Can you imagine?

Sadly I thinks it's exactly what some people are asking for.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:59 am

McLaren wrote:On a more general note Super, what scares you about people coming into the UK via either "legitimate" or illegal means?

Always fascinates me when people get all uppity about immigration especially in places like the U.K. whose population is made up of tranches of immigration over centuries (Vikings, Saxons, Normans etc to select just a few). Migration of people around different areas of this planet has happened probably from the beginning of human existence. When did the human race as collective suddenly say “Right no more of that” eh never.

That being said that is not to say immigration (particularly mass immigration) is not without its problems. Of course a vast wave of immigration can cause considerable problems if the receiving State doesn’t have the capacity, capability or willingness to cope. So for the anti immigration minded the question would be…. Do you think the U.K. doesn’t have the capacity? Doesn’t have the capability? Or just doesn’t want to because a vocal minority of its population out of unreconstructed selfishness based largely on a racist attitude just don’t want it?
I personally think the numbers are reaching a level where the capacity of infrastructure and services to cope could be stretched (especially if we continue to be run by a right wing low tax, low spend regime which is where we are now. Our services won’t cope and the immigrants get the blame.
Just being Anti immigration without any consideration of all the salient facts could be construed as racism at worst, blatant self interest protectionism at best.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:43 am

JAS wrote:
McLaren wrote:On a more general note Super, what scares you about people coming into the UK via either "legitimate" or illegal means?

Always fascinates me when people get all uppity about immigration especially in places like the U.K. whose population is made up of tranches of immigration over centuries (Vikings, Saxons, Normans etc to select just a few). Migration of people around different areas of this planet has happened probably from the beginning of human existence. When did the human race as collective suddenly say “Right no more of that” eh never.

Just ask the Celts when the Romans moved in, then the Romano-Britons when the Saxons came in. You sometimes wonder how many people think what happened to the Danish immigrants provides a model for treatment of immigrants today.

JAS wrote:
That being said that is not to say immigration (particularly mass immigration) is not without its problems. Of course a vast wave of immigration can cause considerable problems if the receiving State  doesn’t have the capacity, capability or willingness to cope. So for the anti immigration minded the question would be…. Do you think the U.K. doesn’t have the capacity? Doesn’t have the capability? Or just doesn’t want to because a vocal minority of its population out of unreconstructed selfishness based largely on a racist attitude just don’t want it?
I personally think the numbers are reaching a level where the capacity of infrastructure and services to cope could be stretched (especially if we continue to be run by a right wing low tax, low spend regime which is where we are now. Our services won’t cope and the immigrants get the blame.
Just being Anti immigration without any consideration of all the salient facts could be construed as racism at worst, blatant self interest protectionism at best.

There are always problems with the 'strain on infrastructure' argument. One is that in general immigrants are young healthy people who want and need to work hard. So they tend to not put the kind of strain on, say, the health service than, say, the average unemployed middle aged home grown smoker. In fact the NHS for many years has depended on same immigrants for staffing.

Another is that many immigrants, just being 'other' are easy to identify and therefore blame. Of course we get bad immigrants, but we also breed bad people at home. We are more discriminating with the demonisation of chunks of our own society because we have enough knowledge to make decisions on more than, for instance, language and skin colour. Its easy to put all immigrants from a particular area into the same category.

A third is population numbers and growth. Current number of kids per woman in the UK is 1.6. This doesn't have a big impact on population now, because of immigration and life expectancy. But in the future it will. Its easier to assimilate immigrants than you think. We have, after all, been doing it for a very long time and somehow we are still identifiable as the UK.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

beninho likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:45 am

Jas

I have a simple way to look at it.

If your economy is healthy and well run adding people to it shouldn't be a problem. If your country cannot cope with immigration then it is a sign that you have not been running your economy properly. Think about that right wingers?

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:54 am

https://www.bbc.com/sport/av/africa/57992047

This is quite topical.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:04 am

Ben Stokes withdraws from test squad to protect his mental wellbeing. Maybe he shoukd suck it up.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:27 am

beninho wrote:Ben Stokes withdraws from test squad to protect his mental wellbeing. Maybe he shoukd suck it up.

Is he a poof or something?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:15 am

beninho wrote:Ben Stokes withdraws from test squad to protect his mental wellbeing. Maybe he shoukd suck it up.

What a loser, he'll never amount to anything.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:30 am

lostinwales wrote:

What a loser, he'll never amount to anything.

He's an immigrant as well. Should be put on a dinghy and shoved off in the direction of France.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:06 am

I stood a couple of feet behind him in the nets at the SCG in 2014. Boy he could smash the ball. Think it was Finn giving him some throw downs.
I felt sorry for the cricket ball. He showed absolutely no sympathy for the poor thing. I just hope that ball recovered and got a bit of shine back.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:12 pm

Soft lad ,I think the cricketers in general are not at all happy about the way they will have to exist in isolation in Oz .Being away on tour for months is one thing but locked in a room is another.I wish Id had the chance not to turn up on the numerous times I felt the pressure at work.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:42 pm

He's got to do what's best for him and I wish him all the best, his recent form hasn't been good.

I will however say that he's able to take indefinite leave due to being a multimillionaire, his IPL contracts in recent years have been huge. I don't get the sense many of us on here are living on the breadline so possibly not the best to comment but I can see why a low earner would become frustrated with seeing another rich man taking a break. That isn't my view at all but a cleaner for instance may not be overly supportive of this decision.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:17 pm

I played rugby at school for a few years, but in general I find it dull as anything. Just not into it at all. Rugby 7s though, it's much better!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:35 pm

I would have preferred to see a statement saying he has withdrawn due to an injury(which I think he has) and not wishing to be apart from family for several months . Rugby at local club level seems to be an excuse for some violence and a booze up,My old sport was sailing to the point we just missed a chance for glory so pleased to see we have a number of good medal chances in several classes.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:40 am

Infrastructure Mac. Unfettered, unmanaged immigration puts strain on health, education, housing, transport, welfare, benefits etc. I'm not against managed immigration at all, it's good for the gene pool if nothing else, but why would anyone be in favour of illegal immigration?

Lostinwales. There's no such thing as a Celtic race or ethnicity.
Celtic was only ever cultural.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:41 am

McLaren wrote:

Exactly.

How many are drowning Mac? If they are coming here legally, why not just use the legal channels? No one is forcing anyone to make an illegal crossing, and these peoppe aren't escaping anything if they've already arrived in a safe european country so crossing the Channel is completely unessessary.

They come to Britain because its a soft touch, not because they need our security from some made up asylum claim

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:51 am

If someone wants to claim asylum in the UK they need to be in the UK. So the legal channels is to try and get to the UK. There are no rules ir regulations about having to claim asylum in a country you've visited.

Super Realist, is generally an advocate for personal responsibility but that doesn't apy to where soneone wants to claim asylum?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:19 am

We have been through this before. If you wish to claim asylum. Get on a plane, ferry or train.
If you can't make legal entry to your country of choice, don't take an illegal route.
Seek asylum in a country you can get into.

There's nothing forcing them to claim asylum in any other country. What % of these "asylum seekers" are presenting at Asylum centres? 🤣 🤣

Isn't it funny that if Britain is such a racist, right wing, intolerant country that so many people want to come here.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:41 am

Crossing into the country to claim asylum isn't illegal. Surely everyone is fully aware of that by now.

Also, unsure if you can get a uk entry visa to claim asylum.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:02 am

It is if you aren't a genuine asylum seeker.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:04 am

beninho wrote:Crossing into the country to claim asylum isn't illegal.  Surely everyone is fully aware of that by now.

Also, unsure if you can get a uk entry visa to claim asylum.

If you can't get UK entry to aim asylum, then go to one country where you don't have to pay a trafficker and risk your life.
What's wrong with claiming asylum in mainland Europe? Not soft enough for them?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:58 am

super_realist wrote:What's wrong with claiming asylum in mainland Europe? Not soft enough for them?

Depends who you believe when you google "why do illegal immigrants want to come to the uk"

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:11 pm

BBC News - Tyrone Mings: England defender's mental health 'plummeted' in build-up to Euro 2020
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58051349
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:32 pm

Tokyo Olympics: Adam Peaty to take short break to mentally recharge before busy 2022 - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/58052874
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:33 pm

This is getting out of hand.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:40 pm

Sounds very sensible to me. Worth remembering it has been a very unusual 18 months.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:10 pm

McLaren wrote:This is getting out of hand.

Seems like taking a rest as I'd expect someone to do who has been training for that Olympic moment is just being dressed up as a rest for mental health. Almost appears that everyone in sport is desperate to show they're "aware" of mental health.

If I'd been getting up every day at 4am and doing two or three pool sessions and all the other work then I'd want a wee break too, I just wouldn't announce it. Don't all athletes take a bit of time off after an event like this?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:53 pm

Having farage with his own show is pretty bad. But this guy is just as much a crank.

https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1421539786360246276?s=19

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:34 pm

beninho wrote:Having farage with his own show is pretty bad. But this guy is just as much a crank.

https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1421539786360246276?s=19
For a moment I thought I was watching Braveheart.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:13 am

Super please do not take a wee break in the swimming pool.
Got a footy ticket today for Leicester v Villareal tomorrow cannot wait to be back in the ground with some now old friends. Im not sure though cos me mental health is not good

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:17 pm

Two whole days and not a single sportsperson has mentioned their "mental health". I'm now concerned for their "mental health"

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:26 pm

dynamark wrote:Super please do not take a wee break in the swimming pool.
Got a footy ticket today for Leicester v Villareal tomorrow cannot wait to be back in the ground with some now old friends. Im not sure though cos me mental health is not good

Turned into a bad night for Leicester. Fofana is a great player. Leicester will be weaker without him.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:54 pm

super_realist wrote:Two whole days and not a single sportsperson has mentioned their "mental health". I'm now concerned for their "mental health"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-58077269 There you go, although in this case its probably safe to say the guy has recovered.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:12 pm

lostinwales wrote:
super_realist wrote:Two whole days and not a single sportsperson has mentioned their "mental health". I'm now concerned for their "mental health"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-58077269  There you go, although in this case its probably safe to say the guy has recovered.

He should be ashamed. He only got a silver.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:28 pm

lostinwales wrote:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-58077269  There you go, although in this case its probably safe to say the guy has recovered.

I hoped that was going to be a link to the boxer who was pissed off with a silver.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:56 pm

Mac very true mate.It was a dreadful deliberate attack tackle ,Couple of minutes earlier Fof had nicked the ball off him and clipped his heel ,The lad went down and got a booing from the crowd and then went for his revenge.Referee tried to ref it like a friendly very light touchbut it was more than that from the off.Good news is we outplayed them and looked well sharp.No cover at centre back though.Great to be back first time since March 2020.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:00 pm

Super

I think the women's pole vault just demonstrated why not winning gold can be a great achievement for an athlete. The British athlete Holly Bradshaw got bronze, but had never finished better than 4th in a global competition over 2 previous olympics and several world championships. She is 30, her career is probably winding down, she was never going to get a gold. Would you not agree that she has every right to be ecstatic with the result?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:14 pm

If you only want to be a journeyman I suppose its fine, but personally I wouldn't be outwardly ecstatic about it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next