The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Elite Academy Status

3 posters

Go down

Elite Academy Status Empty Elite Academy Status

Post by The Beast Fri May 21, 2021 9:35 pm

Announced today that the following clubs have been granted Elite Academy Status;

Catalan Dragons
Huddersfield
Hull FC
Leeds
London
Newcastle
St. Helens
Wakefield
Warrington
Wigan

I have to say from a Bulls point of view (others to follow) I am absolutely dismayed and frankly stunned at this. The academy at Bradford really has been the one bright spot through an otherwise awful 10 years and given that the club have helped produced current (let alone previous) players such as John Bateman, Elliot Whitehead, Jake Truman, Tom Burgess, James Bentley, Ethan Ryan, Matty Storton, Oliver Wilson, Adam O'Brien, Cameron Scott, Alex Mellor, James Donaldson it seems bizarre to me.

I am going to stop ranting.....no f*** it. Whilst still hopeful this can be overturned if I was looking to finally kill off rugby in Bradford, frankly this is where I would start, a hammer blow for the club, very little chance of being anything other than mid-table Championship side.

I don't have much knowledge on other clubs academies however Hull KR have John Bastian, how are they not included? This fact alone should be a factor, the man has an absolute gold standard track record of turning potential talent into reality.

Just to finish, 12 licences were available why only award 10?

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Elite Academy Status Empty Re: Elite Academy Status

Post by George Hotel1895 Sun May 23, 2021 8:08 am

The Beast wrote:Announced today that the following clubs have been granted Elite Academy Status;

Catalan Dragons
Huddersfield
Hull FC
Leeds
London
Newcastle
St. Helens
Wakefield
Warrington
Wigan

I have to say from a Bulls point of view (others to follow) I am absolutely dismayed and frankly stunned at this.  The academy at Bradford really has been the one bright spot through an otherwise awful 10 years and given that the club have helped produced current (let alone previous) players such as John Bateman, Elliot Whitehead, Jake Truman, Tom Burgess, James Bentley, Ethan Ryan, Matty Storton, Oliver Wilson, Adam O'Brien, Cameron Scott, Alex Mellor, James Donaldson it seems bizarre to me.

I am going to stop ranting.....no f*** it.  Whilst still hopeful this can be overturned if I was looking to finally kill off rugby in Bradford, frankly this is where I would start, a hammer blow for the club, very little chance of being anything other than mid-table Championship side.

I don't have much knowledge on other clubs academies however Hull KR have John Bastian, how are they not included?  This fact alone should be a factor, the man has an absolute gold standard track record of turning potential talent into reality.

Just to finish, 12 licences were available why only award 10?
It is my opinion that there isn't the money there to run 12 licenced academies. Just saying
I wish all the clubs who were turned down all the best for the future

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Mon May 24, 2021 7:40 pm

You might well be right but this strikes me a short-sighted, the game cannot (and should not import players) I have been happier to see in-house development. I am not convinced less is better in this instance and their are players (I have been told James Bentley is a good example) who would were close to slipping through the cracks and out of the sport but for academy opportunity.

The clubs turned out might well need best wishes for the future, I cannot see how this is a level playing field, in particular for Castleford, Leigh & Hull KR whose neighbours will have the pick of the most talented players.

I could be very wrong but AFAIK there are salary cap exemptions for academy players coming through, how will that work

Back to Bradford, EIGHT of the 17 yesterday came through the Bulls academy.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Tue May 25, 2021 8:47 pm

The Beast wrote:You might well be right but this strikes me a short-sighted, the game cannot (and should not import players) I have been happier to see in-house development.  I am not convinced less is better in this instance and their are players (I have been told James Bentley is a good example) who would were close to slipping through the cracks and out of the sport but for academy opportunity.

The clubs turned out might well need best wishes for the future, I cannot see how this is a level playing field, in particular for Castleford, Leigh & Hull KR whose neighbours will have the pick of the most talented players.

I could be very wrong but AFAIK there are salary cap exemptions for academy players coming through, how will that work

Back to Bradford, EIGHT of the 17 yesterday came through the Bulls academy.
It is my opinion that all clubs playing in Super League should have an academy and those in the championship with aspirations to play in Super League should as well, but I'm told that would spread the talent to thinly.
No academy for me = no Super League place

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sun May 30, 2021 5:46 pm

If 15 clubs applied for it, then 15 clubs should have got it, as you would presume that they have worked it out, and the benefits.

So denying anybody for me is wrong, especially as in a sport that is already struggling to attract young players, futher restricting them in opportunities to progress, and in turn damaging amature clubs,as less players will pick up the sport as less chances to progress.  And just introducing the fun of the sport seems a backward step to me.

And why are other clubs going to look at academies if there is a chance that they're not going to get any help with cost, why take the risk if you can put the money into something else to progress the club.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Mon May 31, 2021 9:03 pm

I pretty well agree with your comments. I see that there are a lack of players but I don't see how making it more difficult for those who want to play doesn't stack up for me.

Ralph Rimmer was interviewed on Sky (link below). IMO he does not come across well, talks about growing the sport which I found at odds with this and other decisions and does not explain at the potential issue concerning clubs who have an Elite Academy having an advantage over those who don't.

Ralph Rimmer - Academy Status

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:57 pm

The Beast wrote:I pretty well agree with your comments. I see that there are a lack of players but I don't see how making it more difficult for those who want to play doesn't stack up for me.

Ralph Rimmer was interviewed on Sky (link below).  IMO he does not come across well, talks about growing the sport which I found at odds with this and other decisions and does not explain at the potential issue concerning clubs who have an Elite Academy having an advantage over those who don't.

Ralph Rimmer - Academy Status
I didn't see the interview, and I'm not here to defend Ralph Rimmer, but did he say that they have gone for qualtiy over quantity?

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:47 am

Hull kr have had there bid accepted after a review.

Which just goes to show how stupid the original decision was,  like I said all 15 should have been accepted.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:52 am

Luke wrote:Hull kr have had there bid accepted after a review.

Which just goes to show how stupid the original decision was,  like I said all 15 should have been accepted.

As have Bradford & Castleford. Not sure about the others however this is good news BUT the club are on a 2 year probationary period and not receive any central funding, is that the same with KR Luke?

Reported that the RFL will work with Leigh and Salford.

Likewise the RFL have IMO 2 years to work out how the salary cap exemption issue will be resolved.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:43 pm

The Beast wrote:
Luke wrote:Hull kr have had there bid accepted after a review.

As have Bradford & Castleford. Not sure about the others however this is good news BUT the club are on a 2 year probationary period and not receive any central funding, is that the same with KR Luke?

Reported that the RFL will work with Leigh and Salford.

Likewise the RFL have IMO 2 years to work out how the salary cap exemption issue will be resolved.

Yes Beast, exactly the same. 
To me the whole thing has been a farce, and this was just a way for the rfl to try and save face, whilst not giving the 3 clubs what everyone else got.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:27 pm

Luke wrote:If 15 clubs applied for it, then 15 clubs should have got it, as you would presume that they have worked it out, and the benefits.

So denying anybody for me is wrong, especially as in a sport that is already struggling to attract young players, futher restricting them in opportunities to progress, and in turn damaging amature clubs,as less players will pick up the sport as less chances to progress.  And just introducing the fun of the sport seems a backward step to me.

And why are other clubs going to look at academies if there is a chance that they're not going to get any help with cost, why take the risk if you can put the money into something else to progress the club.
As long as the clubs met the criteria that would be fine with me, but i don't know what the criteria was

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down