The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh - Unceasing Banter Thread 27

+29
LeinsterFan4life
lostinwales
RDW
Heaf
Tattie Scones RRN
Mcsweens
Mad for Chelsea
sensisball
RiscaGame
Tramptastic
Margin_Walker
No 7&1/2
Anglobraveheart
EWT Spoons
demosthenes
Old Man
EST
tigertattie
TJ
Highland Shaun
Geordie
bsando
doctor_grey
funnyExiledScot
Hazel Sapling
TheMildlyFranticLlama
BigGee
jimbopip
George Carlin
33 posters

Page 20 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh - Unceasing Banter Thread 27 - Page 20 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh - Unceasing Banter Thread 27

Post by George Carlin Mon 23 Aug 2021, 10:59 am

First topic message reminder :

For those Scottish and Scottish-rugby interested posters who just cannot seem to shut the feic up about it.

26,000 posts of abject nonsense and incorrect usage of the quote function (and counting).

We should be proud. king
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh - Unceasing Banter Thread 27 - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh - Unceasing Banter Thread 27

Post by BigGee Fri 18 Mar 2022, 9:54 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
BigGee wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:The turning point was Ryan Wilson coming off. Just saying...

There is some truth in that and maybe a bit of a changing of the guard in the west. No Harley, Wilson subbed off and the subs upping the pace considerably.

I do think the time has come for Harley and Wilson, particularly when you see what you get from Darge, Gordon and Dempsey (what a terrific player he is).

The other Weegie player who was really good tonight was Cancellieri. Really good.

I still think both of those two Glasgow legends have a lot of value to the squad and are great players to have around, but they are definitely in their twilight years now and neither would be in our first choice team these days if everyone was fit.

It will be interesting to see if Wilson moves the club captaincy on next season to someone who would be a cast iron starter.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh - Unceasing Banter Thread 27 - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh - Unceasing Banter Thread 27

Post by demosthenes Fri 18 Mar 2022, 10:52 pm

BigGee wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:
BigGee wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:The turning point was Ryan Wilson coming off. Just saying...

There is some truth in that and maybe a bit of a changing of the guard in the west. No Harley, Wilson subbed off and the subs upping the pace considerably.

I do think the time has come for Harley and Wilson, particularly when you see what you get from Darge, Gordon and Dempsey (what a terrific player he is).

The other Weegie player who was really good tonight was Cancellieri. Really good.

I still think both of those two Glasgow legends have a lot of value to the squad and are great players to have around, but they are definitely in their twilight years now and neither would be in our first choice team these days if everyone was fit.

It will be interesting to see if Wilson moves the club captaincy on next season to someone who would be a cast iron starter.

Dempsey

demosthenes

BigGee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 18 Mar 2022, 10:56 pm

demosthenes wrote:
BigGee wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:
BigGee wrote:

Dempsey

I would have no objection to that!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 19 Mar 2022, 5:49 am

Ryan Wilson is still "playing rugby"?????

Those inverted commas are important.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 19 Mar 2022, 11:14 am

Looks a comfortable win for Glasgow which goes to form looking at the two teams, particular the packs. Lots of positive from the Edinburgh youngsters by the sound of things, particular Boyle and Muncaster.

What's happened to VDW? He was a really consistent performer for Edinburgh for a number of seasons and looked like he could do a job at international level in an emergency. Since then he's been in and out of the team and not playing well.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 19 Mar 2022, 11:51 am

RDW wrote:Looks a comfortable win for Glasgow which goes to form looking at the two teams, particular the packs. Lots of positive from the Edinburgh youngsters by the sound of things, particular Boyle and Muncaster.

What's happened to VDW? He was a really consistent performer for Edinburgh for a number of seasons and looked like he could do a job at international level in an emergency. Since then he's been in and out of the team and not playing well.

He had a poor game and just does not seem to have adapted well to not being the top dog at Edinburgh any more. I don't know what his contract situation is, but it would not be surprising to see him moving on in the not to distant future.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 19 Mar 2022, 11:55 am

I am going to big up Murphy Walker again as well. Maybe it is a bit clearer to see why Toonie brought him into the squad last week for a look at.

First pro start and to do a half on either side of the scrum against some pretty decent operators is no mean feet.

I would expect him to be going on the summer tour now for sure and a prop that can genuinely play both sides would be worth his weight in gold in the next WC squad.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 21 Mar 2022, 9:41 am

https://www.theoffsideline.com/edinburgh-squad-south-africa/

Edinburgh taking a pretty decent squad down to SA for their two games, surprisingly including most of the Scottish internationals, minus Darcy, GG and Bradbury.

Schoeman is the one you might have thought needed a rest but he is a workhorse of a player and maybe fancied the chance to see the family down south.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 21 Mar 2022, 9:44 am

Not ideal timing tombe heading to SA straight after the 6N but I don't think there's ever a good time. European teams haven't fared overly well thus far!

Schoeman would definitely have been mad keen for the trip, and he might not actually play the first game to get a bit of a rest.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 21 Mar 2022, 9:55 am

RDW wrote:Not ideal timing tombe heading to SA straight after the 6N but I don't think there's ever a good time. European teams haven't fared overly well thus far!

Schoeman would definitely have been mad keen for the trip, and he might not actually play the first game to get a bit of a rest.

Yes, I was thinking that as well, just because they are in the squad, does not mean they won't get a week off. The first match against the Sharks is likely a hiding to nothing in any case. The second match against the Lions is the one they are more likely to be targeting and would want to go in fully loaded.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 22 Mar 2022, 9:43 pm

RDW wrote:What's happened to VDW? He was a really consistent performer for Edinburgh for a number of seasons and looked like he could do a job at international level in an emergency. Since then he's been in and out of the team and not playing well.

He really isn't playing well. Duncan Weir comfortably outplayed him, as did Ross Thompson. It may be time to cut our losses with him, although I remain worried about Kinghorn at 10. I'm not sure VDW is offering more than Chamberlain, and I'm guessing he'll be on a bit more. Has the time come to try Savala for a couple of games? He always looks a wee bit lost for my money!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 22 Mar 2022, 9:46 pm

Savala certainly looks like a young player brought up on Rugby League who hasn't played much union.

I don't think chamberlain has been in the 23 all season?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 22 Mar 2022, 10:26 pm

No, with Kinghorn at 10 and VDW and Savala about, he hasn't had much action. I'm just not convinced that either are much better.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed 23 Mar 2022, 11:30 am

Edinburgh squad for South Africa games

LH: Schoeman, Venter, Courtney
HK: Cherry, McBurney, Harrison
TH: De Bruin, Atalifo, Williams

LK: Hodgson, Young, Sykes, Phillips
BR: Boyle, Watson, Bradbury, Muncaster

SH: Vellacott, Pyrgos, Shiel
FH: Kinghorn, VDW, Savala

Centres: Lang, Hutchison, Dean, Bennett, Currie
Back Three: Immelman, Boffelli, Moyano, Owsley

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed 23 Mar 2022, 11:35 am

No Nel is a slight surprise considering his SA connection, however he has mentioned he does not have much family left in SA.

The lack of lock/backrow options and the extensive cover at FH/centre is a bit strange. Lang could cover 10 at a pinch, Immelman was listed as an OC at one point and Kinghorn can cover back three.

I am guessing that means Sykes will cover BS.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 23 Mar 2022, 12:34 pm

I'd have thought Hamish could have used a break. He hasn't been himself this season, and Darge (Scotland) and Boyle (Edinburgh) are probably slightly ahead on form.

Still, you can forge a pretty handy 23 from this:

1.Venter 2.Cherry 3.De Bruin 4.Hodgson 5.Young 6.Muncaster 7.Boyle 8.Bradbury 9.Vellacott 10.Kinghorn 11.Moyano 12.Lang 13.Bennett 14.Boffelli 15.Immelman

16.Shoe 17.McBurney 18.Atalifo 19.Sykes 20.Watson 21.Shiel 22.VDW 23.Currie

Decent.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 23 Mar 2022, 12:45 pm

I guess Wstson missed a 6N week with Covid so maybe not quite as knackered as some of the others.

They can alternate him with Boyle i guess, msybe both start one game.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 23 Mar 2022, 2:40 pm

Meanwhile the Rugby Club have signed Sione Vailanu a Tongan International no8.
I think Batman may be a little closer to slippers and herbal teas than we thought.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 23 Mar 2022, 10:44 pm

jimbopip wrote:Meanwhile the Rugby Club have signed Sione Vailanu a Tongan International no8.
I think Batman may be a little closer to slippers and herbal teas than we thought.

Slightly surprised. Number 8 is one of the only positions where The Great Unwashed has a wee bit of proper depth, with Dempsey (good enough for Edinburgh) and Fagerson (good player, so long as he doesnt have to actually catch a rugby ball).

Batman is a busted flush. Rank average at the peak of his powers, a faux hard man now reduced to the role of pantomime villain. Just get past it and make him a club "ambassador", so he can regale the used car salesmen of Glasgow with rank banter at Scotstoun hospitality.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Thu 24 Mar 2022, 7:19 am

Laugh

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 24 Mar 2022, 7:36 am

jimbopip wrote:Meanwhile the Rugby Club have signed Sione Vailanu a Tongan International no8.

Don't count on the big Tongan playing 80 mins. Worcester managed to get his fitness up so he was more present whilst on the field as opposed to the one phase in three super sub role he had at Wasps. At times he is pretty destructive.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 24 Mar 2022, 8:10 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:

Don't count on the big Tongan playing 80 mins. Worcester managed to get his fitness up so he was more present whilst on the field as opposed to the one phase in three super sub role he had at Wasps. At times he is pretty destructive.

I don't see him as a starter at Glasgow if everyone is fit, so a super sub role is probably just what we need him for.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Thu 24 Mar 2022, 10:26 am

Fine with Vailanu coming in to be a big ball carrier, certainly more effective than Ioane was in the Premiership.

As a third choice 8 (competing with Aly Miller), his role should be to mostly come off the bench and gives us plenty of depth during the international breaks if Dempsey gets hurt or decides to play for Scotland.

It does suggest that Wilson may be finishing up at the end of the season.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 24 Mar 2022, 2:04 pm

Oof. Quite tough to beat, those Bokke. This is the kind of thing awaiting Edinburgh?

George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Thu 24 Mar 2022, 5:33 pm

You've got to be fit to play in the URC, there is a lot more running rugby than the Premiership and Top14 although those leagues are constantly evolving. It might be that Glasgow want to give him a proper role as an 8 rather than a super sub role. That may possibly be why he was so keen to join. Dempsey looks set to play for Scotland in the near future so perhaps the thinking is he will fill the 8 spot while Dempsey is on Scotland duty. My understanding with Dempsey is he is already qualified via a grandparent and is awaiting his standing down period expire in October.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 25 Mar 2022, 9:28 am

Well, it looks like 53 points will be needed for a top 4 finish; Glasgow are at Cardiff tomorrow, home to Zebra then away to Stormers and Bulls then finishing off with a picnic at the Bookcase. Bru and I shall be at that one Yahoo Can we take a minimum of 10 points from those five matches?
I think 5 points against Zebre is a given.
Cardiff are third bottom as opposed to the Warriors being third top so we should take four points at least.
Stormers could make the top four but would be looking at five wins between now and the end of the season to do it.
Bulls are four points behind the Stormers so it will be difficult but is, theoretically possible.
If the Luvvies win in South Africa it would make things easier for Glasgow.
Then there will be the second instalment of The Annual Batman Rubs Your Noses In The Dirt. I have a feeling this may be Batman's Last Hurrah so there may well be extra aggression on display.
Prediction time?
Wins against Cardiff, Zebra and The Luvvies with bonus points from the African leg. Glasgow finish third on 58 points with the Luvvies fifth.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 25 Mar 2022, 12:13 pm

Glasgow Warriors team to face Cardiff at Cardiff Arms Park, Saturday 26 March, kick-off 5.15pm, live on Premier Sports 1. You can also follow all the action as it happens in our Live Match Centre at glasgowwarriors.org.

1. Jamie Bhatti (59)
2. Fraser Brown (C) (120)
3. Zander Fagerson (108)
4. Scott Cummings (87)
5. Richie Gray (76)
6. Ryan Wilson (C) (206)
7. Rory Darge (15)
8. Jack Dempsey (15)

9. Ali Price (104)
10. Ross Thompson (29)
11. Cole Forbes (19)
12. Sam Johnson (86)
13. Kyle Steyn (45)
14. Sebastian Cancelliere (6)
15. Josh McKay (8)

16. Johnny Matthews (24)
17. Oli Kebble (70)
18. Murphy Walker (4)
19. Kiran McDonald (48)
20. Ally Miller (8)
21. Jamie Dobie (31)
22. Duncan Weir (120)
23. Stafford McDowall (35)

Unavailable for selection: Lewis Bean, Matt Fagerson, George Horne, Thomas Gordon, Sean Kennedy, Tom Lambert, Nathan McBeth, Rufus McLean, Ollie Smith, Sione Tuipulotu, George Turner.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 25 Mar 2022, 12:14 pm

Glasgow going fully loaded for this one it seems, they look like they fancy the points from this one, hope that does not backfire if the internationals are knackered.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 25 Mar 2022, 3:03 pm

Trying to think who has had an extended international run playing in this one outside of Zander and Price. Maybe Darge and Johnson?

It is interesting that with Pieretto and Berghan theoretically available, Wilson has decided to reward Walker with a bench spot. Walker could be primed for a late season surge like Darge, McLean and Thompson last year. Here's hoping.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Sat 26 Mar 2022, 4:55 pm

Fantastic result for Edinburgh beating the Sharks 21-5. We blew a golden position to push for a BP try in the last 5 minutes, but conditions were awful so that’s a huge win. Another big game from Blarehorn picking up a couple of tries and PoM, fair play to him

TheMildlyFranticLlama

jimbopip likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat 26 Mar 2022, 5:01 pm

That's a handy result!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sat 26 Mar 2022, 6:55 pm

Meanwhile Glasgow imploding in Cardiff

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat 26 Mar 2022, 7:24 pm

Choke!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sun 27 Mar 2022, 12:02 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:Choke!

They’re terrible eh FES.

Imagine how great Edinburgh would be of the SRU didn’t waste resources on Glasgow
tigertattie
tigertattie

funnyExiledScot likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 27 Mar 2022, 8:16 am

Kinghorn again showing far more positive intent for Edinburgh. Yes it's not the same level of intensity as away to Ireland, but he was very much just shipping the ball on in that game. For Edinburgh he really takes it to the line, which is what his strength is!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sun 27 Mar 2022, 9:35 am

I think the club games highlighted that there are issues in camp, the players actually looked like they wanted to be there rather than trudging around the pitch.

Shame about Glasgow's implosion though... They let Cardiff back into that one! Darge the highlight as usual. Cancilliere, yellow aside, had a good game and Thompson looked solid.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun 27 Mar 2022, 9:41 am

RDW wrote:Kinghorn again showing far more positive intent for Edinburgh. Yes it's not the same level of intensity as away to Ireland, but he was very much just shipping the ball on in that game. For Edinburgh he really takes it to the line, which is what his strength is!

Blair certainly knows how to play to his strengths. He's a real handful, albeit I remain doubtful that he'll go ahead of both Russell and Hastings. Still, he's much better than anyone else we've had at 10 for Edinburgh!

Muncaster had another strong game, and I thought Vellacott's kicking game was on the money; not a strength of his that I was aware of.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sun 27 Mar 2022, 9:49 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
RDW wrote:Kinghorn again showing far more positive intent for Edinburgh. Yes it's not the same level of intensity as away to Ireland, but he was very much just shipping the ball on in that game. For Edinburgh he really takes it to the line, which is what his strength is!

Blair certainly knows how to play to his strengths. He's a real handful, albeit I remain doubtful that he'll go ahead of both Russell and Hastings. Still, he's much better than anyone else we've had at 10 for Edinburgh!

Muncaster had another strong game, and I thought Vellacott's kicking game was on the money; not a strength of his that I was aware of.

Incorrect. You had meatball.

Although yes Kinghorn is better than jade te rure.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun 27 Mar 2022, 10:26 am

NeilyBroon wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

Incorrect. You had meatball.

Although yes Kinghorn is better than jade te rure.

Laugh

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sun 27 Mar 2022, 10:36 am

I can feel flounder shuddering.
tigertattie
tigertattie

NeilyBroon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 27 Mar 2022, 10:37 am

mad

RDW
Founder
Founder

NeilyBroon and TheMildlyFranticLlama like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun 27 Mar 2022, 1:45 pm

We've had some real legends in that 10 Jersey!

In no particular order: Jade Te Rure, Piers Francis, Harry Leonard, Jason Tovey, Rory Hutton, Alex Blair, Phil GoodGodman, Duncan Weir, Chris Patterson (sigh), Nathan Chamberlain, Jaco VDW, Duncan Hodge, Greg Laidlaw...

So all in all, despite my misgivings around it not being his best position, I'm pretty happy to see Kinghorn in the jersey.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 27 Mar 2022, 6:44 pm

You see that Simon Hickey has been playing for the crusaders this season?

He was as actually a decent enough player for us, he just didn't get much gametime as it coincided with VDW's purple patch when he was putting in consistent excellent performances.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon 28 Mar 2022, 8:02 am

Even though he’s not with Edinburgh anymore it’s good to see players that move on doing well. He was a solid player for Edinburgh and actually he probably helped Edinburgh a lot with their strong seasons under cockers.

Some of those other names.. Tovey was a good player though, I remember being quite impressed with some of his performances. Quite unlucky not to be capped by Wales.

For about a nanosecond Leonard (McPhail Scholarship awardee) looked like he was going to rise up and become a great Scottish ten. Plays with Rosslyn Park in National League 1 now apparently but actually I couldn’t see his name on their team roster (Redpath and SOB are coaches though!) Perhaps he’s retired? I discovered this clip though, what a great bit of play by him! https://twitter.com/twhv/status/804293049396461568?s=20&t=pnPIKLNxGPGKLTb8QUtZ9g

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 28 Mar 2022, 12:14 pm

Edinburgh bringing out thre rest of the Scottish internationals, GG, Nelly, Mcinally and darcy for the second game against the Lions. Looks like they are planning on going fully loaded in that one.

That will be an interesting game, SA have proved difficult to beat at home, but very few teams going down there have been anything like full strength. This game should be and no doubt other teams going down there towards the end of the season will also be bringing better teams.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 28 Mar 2022, 12:57 pm

Wonder if will smith is SQ. we could do with his aggression at number 8!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Mon 28 Mar 2022, 1:22 pm

tigertattie wrote:Wonder if will smith is SQ. we could do with his aggression at number 8!

Maybe we just need to doctor footage of Sexton so he insults Bradbury's missus prior to the WC game and put it on in the changing room on loop.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon 28 Mar 2022, 8:57 pm

BigGee wrote:Edinburgh bringing out thre rest of the Scottish internationals, GG, Nelly, Mcinally and darcy for the second game against the Lions. Looks like they are planning on going fully loaded in that one.

That will be an interesting game, SA have proved difficult to beat at home, but very few teams going down there have been anything like full strength. This game should be and no doubt other teams going down there towards the end of the season will also be bringing better teams.

Are you still processing the Glasgow loss Gee? I watched the first half and Glasgow were cruising. It was a shame to see them let Cardiff back in but presumably Cardiff fronted up in the second half. Glasgow have such a good squad but some of the attacking phases I watched I thought Thompson opting for a cross field kick or grubber was the wrong option considering how far Glasgow were getting over the gain line via ball in hand. Still a very young player but I see fans on social media seem a bit frustrated to be losing these games in the second half particularly.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 28 Mar 2022, 9:26 pm

You know what, i have not even watched it yet!

I was working on saturday, usually i don't check scores when am working and watch the game blind when i get home.
Wa
Something about this game made me think it was a banana skin and so i followrd it online and we lost.

I probably will watch it, but can't summon the enthusiasm just yet, it seems to be the tale of our season!

To me, DW should have rested the internationals and trusted the players that beat Edinburgh. If we had lost this game, it was never the end of the world, but losing it fully loaded means a lot more.

By all accounts we looked really good at times during the game as well. I just can't see why we have got so flakey atm!

It's been such an inconsistent season!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 28 Mar 2022, 11:08 pm

https://www.theoffsideline.com/glasgow-danny-wilson-new-signings/

A couple more signings coming for Glasgow as well, which we probably need. One of them Scottish by the sound of things. There was talk of Huw Jones coming back, I wonder if it could be him?

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21  Next