The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+15
westisbest
Duty281
JAS
Galted
superflyweight
I'm never wrong
JuliusHMarx
lostinwales
Davie
dynamark
McLaren
Soul Requiem
pedro
beninho
super_realist
19 posters

Page 17 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Mon 16 Aug 2021, 3:21 pm

First topic message reminder :

beninho wrote:Should we be there?

Well if you dont mind whats happening now and support sharia law then I guess not.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by beninho Mon 18 Oct 2021, 3:52 pm

super_realist wrote:
beninho wrote:
super_realist wrote:Thats like saying I have an interest in oxygen. I only care I have quality air. I dont savour it and lavish time over it.

But you take an interest in what you eat? You don't just eat any old rubbish?  Maybe you also take am I Teresa in oxygen, and only source good for you oxygen.

Whay i think is that the food i eat is sufficiently good for me and I have no interest in looking for food which detracts from nutrition and masquerades as "art" such as espoused by intolerable pr1cks like Heston Blumenthal.
I eat for nourishment, not for pleasure.

You dont enjoy what you eat? That's massively weird.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Mon 18 Oct 2021, 3:55 pm

Sometimes, but its not an art form to me and shouldn't be made out to be so in my opinion.

I like food, bit its not something i habe an interest in as such. I dont get excited about eating.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 18 Oct 2021, 3:59 pm

You aren't arguing with anyone saying it should be an art form. There is a lot of different types of food in the world.

And it all goes back to my first point, anyone that has even a passing interest in what they choose to eat is a foodie. Be that cabbage and carrots or a £90 steak. It's all the same.

And, surely life's to short to not enjoy what you choose to do.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Mon 18 Oct 2021, 4:04 pm

super_realist wrote:Sometimes, but its not an art form to me and shouldn't be made out to be so in my opinion.

I like food, bit its not something i habe an interest in as such. I dont get excited about eating.

What's your favourite dish?

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 18 Oct 2021, 4:05 pm

beninho wrote:You aren't arguing with anyone saying it should be an art form. There is a lot of different types of food in the world.

And it all goes back to my first point, anyone that has even a passing interest in what they choose to eat  is a foodie. Be that cabbage and carrots or a £90 steak. It's all the same.

I disagree. I think a foodie is better described as someone with an interest in cooking, who seeks out new recipes, ingredients, techniques, has an interest in flavours, in complementing dishes and wine as well as consuming it.

Thats not really the same as someone who simply eats food.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 18 Oct 2021, 4:08 pm

beninho wrote:You aren't arguing with anyone saying it should be an art form. There is a lot of different types of food in the world.

And it all goes back to my first point, anyone that has even a passing interest in what they choose to eat  is a foodie. Be that cabbage and carrots or a £90 steak. It's all the same.

I'll turn that round, lifes too short to spend inordinate amounts of time on things you aren't interested in, such as food preparation.

I dont dislike food, it just doesnt really interest me that much, just like i dont savour a glass of water. I just drink it. Pleasure and enjoyment isnt involved really.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 18 Oct 2021, 4:12 pm

super_realist wrote:

I disagree. I think a foodie is better described as someone with an interest in cooking, who seeks out new recipes, ingredients, techniques, has an interest in  flavours, in complementing dishes and wine  as well as consuming it.

Thats not really the same as someone who simply eats food.

Do you simply eat food? Or do you pick and choose what you eat, based in what's important to you?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 18 Oct 2021, 4:15 pm

I choose what i like, pretty much the same every single week.

Whether I eat bland and functional or whether I ate exotic food makes no difference to me.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 18 Oct 2021, 4:18 pm

Do you make your own dinner? Or do you order in, or have ready meals?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Mon 18 Oct 2021, 4:22 pm

super_realist wrote:I choose what i like, pretty much the same every single week.

Whether I eat bland and functional or whether I ate exotic food makes no difference to me.

I'm just amazed you're single, you seem like a real catch. You enjoy absolutely nothing.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 18 Oct 2021, 4:30 pm

I'm trying to piece it together.

Someone, who chooses what he wants to eat, buys what he wants to eat, plans what he wants to eat, cooks what he wants to it, and enjoys what he wants to it (if you don't enjoy it, you wouldn't it it every week, right) but claims to have no interest in food?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 18 Oct 2021, 4:39 pm

beninho wrote:I'm trying to piece it together.

Someone, who chooses what he wants to eat, buys what he wants to eat, plans what he wants to eat, cooks what he wants to it, and enjoys what he wants to it (if you don't enjoy it, you wouldn't it it every week, right) but claims to have no interest in food?

We clearly have different opinions. I eat it every week because it is agreeable to my system and weight.

Wearing clothes doesnt mean you are "interested" in clothes, driving a car doesnt mean you are "interested" in driving, doing housework doesnt mean you are interested in housework, going to work doesnt mean you are interested in your job.

In life we do things that are necessary, but that doesnt mean we find them interesting or derive pleasure from them.  Sometimes activities we do are a means to an end and are simply routine.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 18 Oct 2021, 4:48 pm

super_realist wrote:
beninho wrote:I'm trying to piece it together.

We clearly have different opinions. I eat it every week because it is agreeable to my system and weight.

Wearing clothes doesnt mean you are "interested" in clothes, driving a car doesnt mean you are "interested" in driving, doing housework doesnt mean you are interested in housework, going to work doesnt mean you are interested in your job.

In life we do things that are necessary, but that doesnt mean we find them interesting or derive pleasure from them.  Sometimes activities we do are a means to an end and are simply routine.

Apart from golf, what do you derive pleasure from? (I'm assuming golf is one thing, correct me if I'm wrong.)

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 18 Oct 2021, 4:49 pm

My life is not overly exciting, but I'm happy. I'm so glad I don't live a life where I eat such horrendous food I take no pleasure in anything I eat.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 18 Oct 2021, 4:55 pm

My life is miserable, but my salt and sugar intake are low, so at least I'll live longer.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 18 Oct 2021, 4:57 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:My life is miserable, but my salt and sugar intake are low, so at least I'll live longer.

Eh? Pleasure only comes from food? Right.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 18 Oct 2021, 5:03 pm

super_realist wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:My life is miserable, but my salt and sugar intake are low, so at least I'll live longer.

Eh? Pleasure only comes from food? Right.

Hence my previous question.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 18 Oct 2021, 5:06 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:

I too am a foodie but also have a young daughter who quite enjoys Nandos so we eat there. I'm not so far up my own arse that I dismiss other people food preferences.

I am that far up my arse and if you eat in those places listed you are not a foodie.

JAS wrote:

Snobbery of the highest order (or should that be lowest order) Mac. I don’t particularly like burgers, so unlikely you’d ever see me in a burger place, if I was starving and there was a Nando’s, yes I’d be in there, no hesitation. Out of the general list mentioned, Wagamama would be my most frequented one. If it was a choice between a Waga and a decent foodie pub, I’d probably take the decent foodie pub. I have no view nor would I wish to cast any assertions on the clientele of any of those range of establishments, not sure of any value attached to doing so either.

As I said earlier it's not like I am that interested in top end find dining. There is way more pleasure to be found in discovering a really good burger or like mentioned somewhere else on here a great kebab place. It's just you won't find anything interesting in chain restaurants. I will eat a McDonalds on occasion but it's not exactly an interesting eating experience.

Ben

I think super is correct, there is more to being a "foodie" than you are trying to make out. It is when eating or cooking becomes a hobby. Something you read and learn about, and spend time seeking out. I talk about food like others might do about film or music. I enjoy thinking about the process.

Just being interested enough to eat doesn't quite cut it.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 18 Oct 2021, 5:07 pm

Super

What are you having for dinner tonight?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 18 Oct 2021, 5:10 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:
McLaren wrote:
beninho wrote:Some good news, Succession is back on tv!

You think that's good news.

How about this

BBC News - Colin Powell: Former US secretary of state dies of Covid complications
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-58957273

Very classy comment especially in light of recent events.

If only Colin had held surgeries prior to 2003.

PS, And by "covid complications" do they mean anti vaxxer?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 18 Oct 2021, 5:39 pm

McLaren wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:

I too am a foodie but also have a young daughter who quite enjoys Nandos so we eat there. I'm not so far up my own arse that I dismiss other people food preferences.

I am that far up my arse and if you eat in those places listed you are not a foodie.

JAS wrote:

Snobbery of the highest order (or should that be lowest order) Mac. I don’t particularly like burgers, so unlikely you’d ever see me in a burger place, if I was starving and there was a Nando’s, yes I’d be in there, no hesitation. Out of the general list mentioned, Wagamama would be my most frequented one. If it was a choice between a Waga and a decent foodie pub, I’d probably take the decent foodie pub. I have no view nor would I wish to cast any assertions on the clientele of any of those range of establishments, not sure of any value attached to doing so either.

As I said earlier it's not like I am that interested in top end find dining. There is way more pleasure to be found in discovering a really good burger or like mentioned somewhere else on here a great kebab place. It's just you won't find anything interesting in chain restaurants. I will eat a McDonalds on occasion but it's not exactly an interesting eating experience.

Ben

I think super is correct, there is more to being a "foodie" than you are trying to make out. It is when eating or cooking becomes a hobby. Something you read and learn about, and spend time seeking out. I talk about food like others might do about film or music. I enjoy thinking about the process.

Just being interested enough to eat doesn't quite cut it.

That's why you need a proper set of kitchen knives.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 19 Oct 2021, 12:45 am

Finally.

England given one-match stadium ban following unrest at Euro 2020 final wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58418701

I hope to see more bans in the future when the inevitably trash a town centre. Along with some of the tin pot Eastern European nations they are some of the most classless fans.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 19 Oct 2021, 8:05 am

McLaren wrote:Finally.

I hope to see more bans in the future when the inevitably trash a town centre. Along with some of the tin pot Eastern European nations they are some of the most classless fans.

Football fans in generally are pretty classless Mac, except for maybe Japan.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 19 Oct 2021, 8:06 am

McLaren wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:
McLaren wrote:

How about this

BBC News - Colin Powell: Former US secretary of state dies of Covid complications

It says in the third sentence of that article you quoted that he was fully vaccinated.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 19 Oct 2021, 8:14 am

incontinentia wrote:
McLaren wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:
McLaren wrote:

How about this

It says in the third sentence of that article you quoted that he was fully vaccinated.

Mac doesnt let facts get in the way of a WUM. I presume he died as he was already a coffin dodger at 84, that's well in excess lf American life expectancy for a male.
Its neither tragic, nor a surprise that he has died. If it hadnt been Covid, it would most likely have come in the next year or two anyway.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 19 Oct 2021, 8:25 am

Think “Covid complications” might be a bit of a stretch. He was being treated for a form of blood cancer, so obviously his immune system would have been shot to Poopie. No mention of what his longer term prospects could have been without “Covid complications” but an 84 year old with blood cancer? I don’t think he would have been planning much beyond next year. Harsh maybe but this is where Covid deniers start grabbing a foothold in debates, adding to the Covid numbers an unfortunate soul who was probably going to die in the relatively short term anyway. That takes nothing away from how cruel Covid can be but I think the messengers should just be aware of the narrative they’re presenting.

JAS

incontinentia likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 19 Oct 2021, 8:32 am

Agree Jas, statisticians seem absolutely determined to make every death a Covid statistic. I had a very dear relative  die at the weekend at a relatively young age for these days of just 68. If it had happened six months ago im sure they would have pressed for it being covid related instead of the cancer which sadly took him.

The same is true of the current reporting on covid cases. Yesterday there  were reportedly 50,000 new covid "cases" , when in reality all it really amounts to is 50,000 positive results. It doesnt necessarily mean that 50,000 have any symptoms or are suffering in the slightest.

It really is time we stopped this obsession with it and moved on. Hospital admissions and deaths are miles within acceptable levels.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 19 Oct 2021, 8:54 am

Realist, had your man tested positive for covid?

I do think covid really has brought our the best in people with the, they woukd have died anyway views.

When my mum was ill, and she died quicker then expected, I knew she would have died but I still woukd have wanted more time with her. I really wouldn't have wanted some cnut saying, oh well, she woukd have died anyway may aswell lose her now.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 19 Oct 2021, 9:45 am

super_realist wrote:Agree Jas, statisticians seem absolutely determined to make every death a Covid statistic. I had a very dear relative  die at the weekend at a relatively young age for these days of just 68. If it had happened six months ago im sure they would have pressed for it being covid related instead of the cancer which sadly took him.

The same is true of the current reporting on covid cases. Yesterday there  were reportedly 50,000 new covid "cases" , when in reality all it really amounts to is 50,000 positive results. It doesnt necessarily mean that 50,000 have any symptoms or are suffering in the slightest.

It really is time we stopped this obsession with it and moved on. Hospital admissions and deaths are miles within acceptable levels.

I’m not sure I’d go that far, I don’t think we’re out of the woods yet infact I think we’re going backwards at pace, mainly because complacency has set in. By all means keep things open but ffs give people the right messages and people need to step up, use their noggins and act responsibly as well, Covid will kill 1500 - 2000 a week over the winter, not as many as last winter but still needlessly and irresponsibly high. I can’t get a booster, it’s now over 6 months since my 2nd jab, 58 year old asthmatic with a compromised immune system due to a history of Crohns. I’ve had 2 texts from the surgery with a link to book a slot in a vaccination center and both times when I’ve gone to the link all the slots are already gone.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 19 Oct 2021, 11:54 am

super_realist wrote:
McLaren wrote:Finally.

Football fans in generally are pretty classless Mac, except  for maybe Japan.

There are a lot of nations that have class fans.

There are a lot of  England fans that I would call class.
Can’t tar everyone with the same brush.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 19 Oct 2021, 12:07 pm

The type of England fan that goes to away game or tournaments is usually scum.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Tue 19 Oct 2021, 12:11 pm

McLaren wrote:The type of England fan that goes to away game or tournaments is usually scum.

They really aren't.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 19 Oct 2021, 12:20 pm

McLaren wrote:The type of England fan that goes to away game or tournaments is usually scum.

Maybe 5-10% are. What did I base that sweeping generalisation on? Nothing really, like you I just made it up for the hell of it.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 19 Oct 2021, 1:08 pm

JAS wrote:
super_realist wrote:Agree Jas, statisticians seem absolutely determined to make every death a Covid statistic. I had a very dear relative  die at the weekend at a relatively young age for these days of just 68. If it had happened six months ago im sure they would have pressed for it being covid related instead of the cancer which sadly took him.

I’m not sure I’d go that far, I don’t think we’re out of the woods yet infact I think we’re going backwards at pace, mainly because complacency has set in. By all means keep things open but ffs give people the right messages and people need to step up, use their noggins and act responsibly as well, Covid will kill 1500 - 2000 a week over the winter, not as many as last winter but still needlessly and irresponsibly high. I can’t get a booster, it’s now over 6 months since my 2nd jab, 58 year old asthmatic with a compromised immune system due to a history of Crohns. I’ve had 2 texts from the surgery with a link to book a slot in a vaccination center and both times when I’ve gone to the link all the slots are already gone.

Youre blaming Mac for making up stats. Where did you pull your 1500-2000 a week from? Neil Ferguson?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 19 Oct 2021, 1:10 pm

beninho wrote:Realist, had your man tested positive for covid?

I do think covid really has brought our the best in people with the, they woukd have died anyway views.

When my mum was ill, and she died quicker then expected, I knew she would have died but I still woukd have wanted more time with her. I really wouldn't have wanted some cnut saying, oh well, she woukd have died anyway may aswell lose her now.

I didnt imply I wanted people to do that, bit if Colin Powell was riddled with cancer, i think its disingenuous to count him as a covid stat.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue 19 Oct 2021, 1:12 pm

Did you have a bang on the head at the weekend?

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 19 Oct 2021, 1:40 pm

Have to laugh at staff in "woke" companies like Spotify and Netflix protesting some of the content those companies put out. Since when is a private company a democracy! Go work somewhere else!

The latest Dave Chapelle special has caused uproar again with the trans community. I watched it and found Dave's viewpoint totally reasonable, and that most sensible people would take his side. Sometimes you have to learn to take a joke.

incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 19 Oct 2021, 1:44 pm

incontinentia wrote:Have to laugh at staff in "woke" companies like Spotify and Netflix protesting some of the content those companies put out. Since when is a private company a democracy! Go work somewhere else!

That's exactly what I say to anyone who complains about their company enforcing a covid vaccine.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 19 Oct 2021, 1:47 pm

incontinentia wrote:Have to laugh at staff in "woke" companies like Spotify and Netflix protesting some of the content those companies put out. Since when is a private company a democracy! Go work somewhere else!

The latest Dave Chapelle special has caused uproar again with the trans community. I watched it and found Dave's viewpoint totally reasonable, and that most sensible people would take his side. Sometimes you have to learn to take a joke.

The woke are the least tolerant people you'll ever find.
Unless your view is in accord with them then you should'nt be heard.

The latest woke hilarity from Woke central (Scotland) has deemed the use of the word "spooky" and "mother" to be potentially offensive.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 19 Oct 2021, 1:48 pm

I was honestly just hoping to set Super off on a rant about England fans. He has sadly declined the offer.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 19 Oct 2021, 1:53 pm

McLaren wrote:I was honestly just hoping to set Super off on a rant about England fans. He has sadly declined the offer.

There's idiots among most fans. I dont see England being any worse than many others like Italy, Old Firm, Hungary, Belarus etc.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 19 Oct 2021, 1:54 pm

super_realist wrote:
McLaren wrote:I was honestly just hoping to set Super off on a rant about England fans. He has sadly declined the offer.

There's idiots among most fans. I dont see England being any worse than many others like Italy, Old Firm, Hungary, Belarus etc.

Not the Scotland fans. They are 100% top notch.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 19 Oct 2021, 1:58 pm

McLaren wrote:
super_realist wrote:

laughing laughing laughing

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Tue 19 Oct 2021, 2:09 pm

McLaren wrote:
super_realist wrote:

Yes, you can't tartan everyone with the same brush.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 19 Oct 2021, 2:15 pm

Holy Poopie just reading up about the gas explosion in Ayr. A house has just been completely obliterated.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-58965190

And you can see a trench in the background where presumably someone has buggered up a pipe. (Although maybe that was dug after the fact to stop the gas flow?)
Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 _121137459_kincaidston7-pa
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 19 Oct 2021, 2:22 pm

Should increase the value a bit

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 19 Oct 2021, 3:37 pm

McLaren wrote:
super_realist wrote:

Pains me to say it but Supes is right about the O/F, just ask anyone who lived in central Manchester in 2008. Also is there another football rivalry anywhere where paramilitary organisations used to have collection tins outside grounds (that would get filled weekly).

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 19 Oct 2021, 3:48 pm

What all of them.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 19 Oct 2021, 4:01 pm

super_realist wrote:
JAS wrote:

Youre blaming Mac for making up stats. Where did you pull your 1500-2000 a week from? Neil Ferguson?

First of all there’s a bit of a difference between stats (evidence of what has already happened) and Forecasts (educated guesses maybe based on previous stats - what I’ve tried to do here), it doesn’t help if you confuse the two.
It’s a fairly simple extrapolation, when daily new infections hovered around 30k deaths a couple of weeks later averaged around 150, daily infections are now nudging 50k and rising so it’s not a stretch to imagine that the daily death toll will go back up to around 250. So x 5 = 1250 then a lower level of weekend recorded deaths and youre up near 1500 a week. With infections rising and our freedom loving government happy to just ride the wave unrestricted (as it doesn’t seem to be affecting their popularity), the booster programme is significantly less urgent than the original roll out, with winter more people mix indoors, what makes you think numbers will be lower?
The vaccine has been great yes, it’s meant less people getting seriously ill by about a factor of 5 but the value of it has been way overstated which has led to complacency. Maybe it will burn itself out and run out of steam naturally. On the other hand what if a vaccine resistant variant emerges? If that happens we really are buggered senseless.

Ok so I’ll take a conservative guess that by end of March next year our death toll will be around 170000 assuming no restrictions are reintroduced and also assuming a vaccine resistant variant doesn’t emerge.

Go on then, what your estimate and the logic underpinning it?

Last edited by JAS on Tue 19 Oct 2021, 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 19 Oct 2021, 4:06 pm

westisbest wrote:

What all of them.

All the ones with a tattoo.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next