The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Liam Smith v Anthony Fowler...Best domestic matchup in years..

5 posters

Go down

Liam Smith v Anthony Fowler...Best domestic matchup in years.. Empty Liam Smith v Anthony Fowler...Best domestic matchup in years..

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:00 pm

Looks a good 50/50.....Smith in his prime has the edge but Hearn is wagering he is not the same hungry and fresh fight he used to be.. Fowler looks talented in some fights.. Pedestrian in others...

Smith has a much better defence but Fowler has a better work rate...Smith is suspect to the body.. Fowler has power.

Fowler is up against a foxy south paw who has experience at the top level and experience is golden..

Fowler did lose to forgotten his name but I'd pick him in a rematch.

Lots of folk don't like Fowler and for some reason I don't either..Heart says Smith...Head says Fowler has chosen the right time..

Body shot ko 9...Hope I am wrong

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Liam Smith v Anthony Fowler...Best domestic matchup in years.. Empty Re: Liam Smith v Anthony Fowler...Best domestic matchup in years..

Post by Mr Bounce Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:45 pm

Just caught up with this one Trussy. I can't warm to Liam Smith but he's been a half-decent pro over the years. No shame in him losing to Canelo when he did. I think you're probably right when you say Fowler's getting him at the right time - he's 33 now, and although he's not got too many miles on the clock he has been in some wars. The fight against Munguia wasn't pretty for him.

Fowler sneaks a close but deserved decision.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Liam Smith v Anthony Fowler...Best domestic matchup in years.. Empty Re: Liam Smith v Anthony Fowler...Best domestic matchup in years..

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:17 pm

You see it how I see it Bouncy.. All depends on Smith..

I expect Fowler to lead early if Smith is still reasonably fresh he may take over late..

I suspect that he isn't as fresh as he needs to be.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:47 pm

Shannon Courtenay beaten by Jamie Mitchell on points on the undercard. Courtenay wasn't happy with the verdict but she's got no grounds for complains as Mitchell was a very deserving winner. Pressed the action and kept Courtenay ineffective on the outside for long periods.

Good performance by Mitchell who takes the WBA Bantamweight title which Courtenay forfeited beforehand. In the exchanges she kept a cooler head and picked out the harder, more effective shots.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:49 pm

Gave Courtenay 2 rounds and she thinks its Whittaker v Ramirez...

95-95 was a disgrace..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:56 pm

Courtenay is average at best. How she claims to have won is beyond ridiculous. The American woman was magnificent.

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:28 pm

Good scrap between Williamson and Cheeseman, that.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:30 pm

Cheeseman can't have too many fights left.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:37 pm

That's called earning your money..

Cheeseman could end up like Quarry. ..Maybe needs some tough love

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:36 am

Well it was a good fight between Smith and Fowler which lived up to its top billing, but I'm frustrated with Fowler's performance.

Just seems like one of these fighters who is obsessed with amateur pedigree, being 'slick' at all costs etc when he really doesn't have the gifts to fight like that, and looks as if he's never bothered building up his fundamentals as a result. Leaves him vulnerable to just being walked down and overpowered by the more aggressive, heavy-handed and rough fighters. Smith had a rocky first round but soon realised he could just go full Margarito on Fowler because Fowler hasn't got the guard or discipline to hold him off.

There's some talent there with Fowler but until he nails down the basics he won't progress beyond domestic level. But well done to Smith, was obviously in tip-top shape for this and made his experience, strength and ruggedness work for him.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:21 pm

Think there is a touch of Ryan Rhodes about Fowler... Not in style but the way they look better than they actually are..

Not World class but if Eddie is recognising IBO champions in divisions that house Lopez and Lomo

Then maybe he won't need to be

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:09 pm

Excellent analogy there about Fowler being like Rhodes there Truss - I think you're bang on the money. Smith is not one of my favourites, but he weathered the early storm from Fowler before finishing him off in style. Experience beat exuberance, and often does.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:55 pm

I see Eddie is trying to spin the Smith fight as a good thing for Fowler...In a great war blahde blah..Really ??

Smith isn't world class anymore if he ever was and didn't do anything more than walk him down..

Fowler has lost two domestic fights now.....Who knows where he goes from here..

As for Miss Courtenay...Has to learn to give opponents credit and stop making excuses.....She had a weight advantage over her opponent on Saturday..

The tall red head and Miss Mitchell both deserved better from her post fight....Needs to grow up.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:24 pm

I think Courtenay has been drinking from Wilder's glass; always someone else's fault but their own. Classless.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:56 am

Do you mean Rachel Ball Truss ;-)

I liked Courtenay when she started but i think she's got too many people around her telling her she's always right. It's a shame because she could have been a big addition to womens boxing, now it'll be all talk on how disrespectful she was.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down