The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prem Round 1

+12
king_carlos
No 7&1/2
Sgt_Pooly
TheMildlyFranticLlama
WELL-PAST-IT
mikey_dragon
Poorfour
Cumbrian
Highland Shaun
formerly known as Sam
doctor_grey
Geordie
16 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Prem Round 1 - Page 2 Empty Prem Round 1

Post by Geordie Thu 16 Sep 2021, 12:24 pm

First topic message reminder :

Friday
Bristol v Saracens -
19:45

Saturday
Leicester Tigers v Exeter Chiefs
15:00
Northampton Saints v Gloucester
Worcester Warriors v London Irish
Sale v Bath
17:00

Sunday
Newcastle Falcons v Quins

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Prem Round 1 - Page 2 Empty Re: Prem Round 1

Post by king_carlos Sat 18 Sep 2021, 4:43 pm

Dolly's second as well. He looked a bit tired in the scrum but has been impressive in the loose. A really good signing as 4th choice hooker.

It's been a cracking second half performance from Tigers. This whilst missing Montoya, Youngs and Clare at hooker, plus Wiese, van Staden and Brink in the back row. Moroni was one of our best backs last season too.

A very promising start indeed and it is heartening to see us doing this by trying to play a bit more rugby.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sat 18 Sep 2021, 4:48 pm

I know he's saying 'I'm in blue', but that is twice that the referee has just stood in the passing lane, 'get out of the way, man!'
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 18 Sep 2021, 4:54 pm

Frustrating to concede a soft try at the end but it doesn't gift Chiefs a TBP and/or LBP so doesn't really matter in the scheme of things.

TBP win. First Premiership win against Chiefs in 4 years. A cracking performance all round. Impressive individual performances from several youngsters. Not much to complain about!

king_carlos

formerly known as Sam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Sat 18 Sep 2021, 5:07 pm

Saints bonus point win over Gloucester 34 - 20.

Augustus came on a gave Jonny May a taste of the old Lawes, absolutely smashed him. From what I can gather from the tickertape commentary he was excellent, making a lot of ground, tackling well and even picking up the ball in defence like a good old fashioned 8.
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Sat 18 Sep 2021, 5:55 pm

Cumbrian wrote:I know he's saying 'I'm in blue', but that is twice that the referee has just stood in the passing lane, 'get out of the way, man!'

Stupid comment, by Tempest, he was standard in the way of the best pass

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 18 Sep 2021, 9:34 pm

geoff999rugby wrote:
Cumbrian wrote:I know he's saying 'I'm in blue', but that is twice that the referee has just stood in the passing lane, 'get out of the way, man!'

Stupid comment, by Tempest, he was standard in the way of the best pass

I think he was feeling a bit peeved after SHC threw one into him earlier which was less Tempest's fault. That second one with the comment he wasn't positioned that well.

Really good to see a Tigers side remembering how to attack. Such a tonic for the last couple of seasons where we as a team just looked blankly at Ford hoping he'd pull something out his backside. Like the look of a Kevin Sinfield defence as well.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 19 Sep 2021, 2:08 am

WELL-PAST-IT wrote:Saints bonus point win over Gloucester 34 - 20.

Augustus came on a gave Jonny May a taste of the old Lawes, absolutely smashed him. From what I can gather from the tickertape commentary he was excellent, making a lot of ground, tackling well and even picking up the ball in defence like a good old fashioned 8.
Was out playing Rugby today in beautiful 85°F sunshine so missed the game.  Just watched the replay and thought Saints were, as Boyd said, only about 6 out of 10.  Far too many scoring opportunities missed or flubbed, especially in the first half.  Unfortunately like last season. But hopefully a win to build on.  

Grayson was very good, a significant improvement from last season.  Furby was super excellent (England call-up type of good).  Mitchell and the centres were good, as was the back row.  Even scrums were competent.  Agusutus will be a beast, a game changer.  On the other hand, the midfield defense was mediocre again.  It's hard to read much into the first game of the season, but signs were positive.   Will have a much better read on this team next week in Exe.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 19 Sep 2021, 10:01 am

Dunno Doc, Chiefs looks a little under done Vs Tigers. Not bad but they are missing their edge a bit. From what Baxter has said they picked just the one friendly knowing it would be a long season. Sounds like he's almost using the first few weeks just to get everyone back and firing knowing there will be enough games to make it up later.

Not sure about Furbank and international call up talks again. I think that ship has sailed. Saints may benefit from that in having him available and able to cover a significant amount of the backline during international periods. With Malins, Daly and Steward all in the mix and then Hodge and Nowell both back and looking decent yesterday before we even get to Parton etc there's a queue of potential England fullbacks. Furbank ball in hand won't be what he needs, it's the rock solid under the high ball work he needs to develop.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 19 Sep 2021, 11:40 am

Chiefs are just missing a lot of very good players in the same positions - back five of the scrum.

4.Gray
5.Hill
6.Ewels, Skinner
7.Vermuelen
8.Simmonds

Plus Capstick who isn't in their first choice 23 at full strength like those 6 but would play ahead of Tuima, McCauley and Tshiunza.

Still being able to field Witty, Kirsten and Armand in their second and back row is impressive in the circumstances to be fair. I don't think many sides could cope with those sort of absentees. That's both starting locks (Gray and Hill), bench lock (Skinner), starting blindside (Ewels), starting number 8 (Simmonds) and arguably starting 7 (Vermuelen and Kirsten rotate a fair bit).

Tigers were missing our starting 8 (Wiese) and arguably a starting 7 (I reckon van Staden and Reffell will rotate similarly) but on top of that we'd need to lose Wells, Green, Liebenberg and Martin to have comparable absentees in second and back row.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun 19 Sep 2021, 12:14 pm

Great result for Leicester, even if a weaker Exeter side.

I thought Tigers would take a season more to be fully competitive, but I'd have you down as clear top 6 and pushing for top 4 with a host of others. It's a shame really, I was enjoying Tigers being utterly shambolic for those 3 or 4 years.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 19 Sep 2021, 12:23 pm

Carlos we were down to our fourth choice hooker though he did turn in a good performance his inexperience was noticeable in the second half scrums and a couple of his early lineout throws.

The back five of the scrum for Chiefs was a big hit for them. The starting options weren't bad but the youth from the bench looked it and gave away unnecessary penalties to really kill the game for Chiefs. If they can get a couple of the experienced guys back for next week it'll be a boost. Ewers for starters would give them an unflashy boost in forward power. Gray should be back for them soon as well.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sun 19 Sep 2021, 3:13 pm

Clear try.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sun 19 Sep 2021, 3:15 pm

Danny Care has lost his pace.

TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 19 Sep 2021, 3:32 pm

We're making silly mistakes.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 19 Sep 2021, 3:34 pm

Ah Radders....what a player

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun 19 Sep 2021, 3:45 pm

Radders is just something else, amazing run. Who's the left wing kid GF?

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 19 Sep 2021, 3:53 pm

Iwan Stephens....young kids from Leeds Rhinos.

We've gifted quins their points with our bad play.

Sort out the stupid errors and this game is ours

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 19 Sep 2021, 4:07 pm

For gods sake

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 19 Sep 2021, 4:20 pm

McGuigan has given away 3 penalties for going off his feet.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 19 Sep 2021, 4:28 pm

Penalty try for high tackle!!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun 19 Sep 2021, 4:30 pm

Missing out on every 50/50 call...life as a Falcon

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 19 Sep 2021, 4:37 pm

First time I've seen a '50:22'.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sun 19 Sep 2021, 4:49 pm

Aahh in the end we've just made far too many unforced errors. Can't do that and expect to win.

And there's quite a difference in our 10,and there's...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sun 19 Sep 2021, 6:16 pm

It was a decent game, but we made too many little errors. Still, a promising start to the season, good to see some enterprising play.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 19 Sep 2021, 8:02 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Iwan Stephens....young kids from Leeds Rhinos.  

I bet he’s playing for Wales next year!

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 19 Sep 2021, 9:34 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:

He looked quite handy. At this rate Wales will be able to deploy an English developed backline, just need a 9.

Costelow, Stephens, Williams, Tompkins, LRZ, Holmes

Radwan looked pretty electric for Falcons as well, I doubt his summer run out will be his last appearance in and England shirt.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Sun 19 Sep 2021, 10:29 pm

Radwan has a combination of footwork and raw pace that is really hard to beat. If Eddie is ready to play a more attacking game, he should be a part of it.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Highland Shaun Mon 20 Sep 2021, 12:13 am

I think Eddie will have a tough job picking a squad on Tuesday (how many is he picking?) but surely Radwan gets in as will a few others, Smith, Marchant and Dombrandt for certain.

Can any Tigers fan tell me why Cammy Henderson didn't play, is he injured? I really hope to see him in our autumn squad, and potentially Byron McGuigan too because he's been on form of late, especially the back end of last season.

Oh how I love the Gallagher Premiership and its entertaining games, on Friday I watched Newcastle 1-1 Leeds and by god, it was boring!

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 20 Sep 2021, 12:21 am

Cam played in the warm ups but I think was just left out on merit for this one as our locks are at full strength. Ollie Chessum is slightly more versatile so was on the bench covering back row and Eli Snyman performed well in the warm-ups so deserved to be in the 23.

Henderson should get plenty of opportunities this season. Lock isn't the greatest strength for Tigers and George Martin is getting used more at 6 so he will get game time.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 20 Sep 2021, 6:45 am

mikey_dragon wrote:

Well his dad is Colin Stephens rhe ex Wales fly half so I would expect that aswell..he looks another belting young player.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 20 Sep 2021, 8:01 am

Poorfour wrote:Radwan has a combination of footwork and raw pace that is really hard to beat. If Eddie is ready to play a more attacking game, he should be a part of it.

The thing about him is he has a very strong defence aswell. He's generally solid under the high ball, and is very aggressive in the tackle.
He reminds me more of Jason Robinson, ie better in short bursts in crowded traffic.

Im chuffed to have him, and along with Iwan Stephens and Mateo Carreras (currently away Argentina) we have 3 very talented young wingers.

My concern is the 10 / 12 axis. Pointless having match winners out wide when we cant get them in positions to win the matches....

I suspect Connon will be eased out for Will Haydon Wood and Louie Johnson this season. Quins 10 showed the difference a good 10 makes to the team.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Mon 20 Sep 2021, 8:19 am

Radwan will be on the shopping list of many clubs. Where do we think he'll end up?
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 20 Sep 2021, 8:21 am

At the falcons....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 20 Sep 2021, 9:11 am

TightHEAD wrote:Radwan will be on the shopping list of many clubs. Where do we think he'll end up?

As his contract with Falcons runs until 2023 then he isn't going anywhere soon.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Mon 20 Sep 2021, 9:15 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:
Poorfour wrote:Radwan has a combination of footwork and raw pace that is really hard to beat. If Eddie is ready to play a more attacking game, he should be a part of it.

The thing about him is he has a very strong defence aswell. He's generally solid under the high ball, and is very aggressive in the tackle.
He reminds me more of Jason Robinson, ie better in short bursts in crowded traffic.

Im chuffed to have him, and along with Iwan Stephens and Mateo Carreras (currently away Argentina) we have 3 very talented young wingers.

My concern is the 10 / 12 axis. Pointless having match winners out wide when we cant get them in positions to win the matches....

I suspect Connon will be eased out for Will Haydon Wood and Louie Johnson this season. Quins 10 showed the difference a good 10 makes to the team.

I think the Robinson comparison is apt. The question now is whether Radwan can do it against a top international defence. Even if he just focuses a little too much attention on himself he could be very valuable in an England shirt.

Tommy Allan is looking set to be a very sharp signing by the Quins hierarchy. I didn't think we could find a quality 10 who could suit our style and be happy to play second fiddle to Marcus Smith, but Allan looks like he fits the bill. He's got several good years left, and if he's a little less creative than Smith he still has the ability to use our attacking structure well - and is a tougher defender. Tabai Matson was keen to highlight how much he can push Smith in the post-match interview, which is good news for Quins fans.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 20 Sep 2021, 9:38 am

I'm surprised nobody has looked at Allan before, I've been mentioning his name for the Falcons for 2 or 3 years now....he's exactly what we need.

Radwan is just getting better and better. As much as I love that he's a Falcons players, there's a very small (like a tiny) part of me that would love to see him being tested on the higher stage with a top club.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 20 Sep 2021, 9:52 am

Sgt,

If the kids keep coming through as we're seeing...we could very well be the team playing in the top competitions.

Sort the 9-12 axis out (which Kelemeti, Blackett, Haydon Wood, Louie Johnson etc ) should do...and we'll be a team not many want to play!

And the pack continue to produce...Brantingham, Cade at LH, Blamire at hooker etc....

Ive said it before...i think this is the best squad we've had for YEARS....and its only going to get better ....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 20 Sep 2021, 10:56 am

I think Radwan will be starting for England by the RWC. He's got such a complete skill set. The attacking play is obvious with his pace and footwork but he's also strong in the tackle, good under the high ball, has a decent kicking game and good hands. He uses his pace so well in defence as well as attack. A very impressive young player.

Rumour was that Tigers looked at him when May moved on but Radwan was keen to stay put.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 20 Sep 2021, 11:18 am

We're actually managing to keep our young talented kids far better now KC...i could list a host of ones about to come through...who could take our game on further....and push us up to top 6.

Hopefully we can keep them....and not re-engage being the finishing school for the tigers squad!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Mon 20 Sep 2021, 11:21 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:
TightHEAD wrote:Radwan will be on the shopping list of many clubs. Where do we think he'll end up?

In the old days we know that would be true. Money talks. He will be gone soon.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 20 Sep 2021, 11:22 am

I didn't realise he'd been dropped by Falcons as a teenager. Quite surprising that he's showed a desire and commitment to turn Leicester down.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 20 Sep 2021, 11:25 am

TightHEAD wrote:

Dont be so sure....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 20 Sep 2021, 11:26 am

TightHEAD wrote:

Perhaps in 2023, but he would be needed to be bought out of his contract before that. Nobody in England could afford to that realistically.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 20 Sep 2021, 11:27 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:I didn't realise he'd been dropped by Falcons as a teenager. Quite surprising that he's showed a desire and commitment to turn Leicester down.

Yeah he was released from the academy, then went and trained like a lunatic and re-trialed for them and got in...

Shows the mentality of the lad aswell...hes a fighter....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 20 Sep 2021, 11:27 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:I didn't realise he'd been dropped by Falcons as a teenager. Quite surprising that he's showed a desire and commitment to turn Leicester down.

I think he's a Billingham lad, studied in Hartlepool and played for a side in Boro?

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 20 Sep 2021, 11:46 am

mikey_dragon wrote:

He looked quite handy. At this rate Wales will be able to deploy an English developed backline, just need a 9.

Radwan looked pretty electric for Falcons as well, I doubt his summer run out will be his last appearance in and England shirt.

I believe there is and he plays for Scarlets / Wales U20s. I think he might have come from Leicester? He is pretty good so far. Keep up the good work!

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 20 Sep 2021, 12:30 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:

I believe there is and he plays for Scarlets / Wales U20s. I think he might have come from Leicester? He is pretty good so far. Keep up the good work!

Well the Tigers academy is good at producing scrum halfs. Can't say I know of one but that doesn't mean much particularly if he left and returned before finishing the academy to head to Scarlets.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 20 Sep 2021, 1:27 pm

His name is Harri Williams btw, and he was part of the Saints academy not Leicester's.

mikey_dragon

formerly known as Sam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 20 Sep 2021, 6:01 pm

Caught part of Falcons-Quins. That little Radwan dude is seriously quick, not just flat track fast. Also has a bit of a playmaker about him, too. As many of you have been saying for some time, we need to get him in the England squad with some quality minutes and hopefully he can let it rock. That was really, really good.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Tue 21 Sep 2021, 12:21 pm

As an outsider who watches a lot of Premiership rugby on BT I do have an observation.
This may seem like having a go at Saracens but it is not intended to be so, merely an honest opinion as a neutral spectator.

The Tigers - Chiefs and Falcons - Quins games were enjoyable games of rugby.
The Bears - Saracens game was boring, and we all know the Bears can play very entertaining rugby.

On one particular point it shows some skill on the wing, on display in Newcastle, that neither Stephens or Lynagh were the best winger on show.
Both were excellent but Radwan has the potential to go up another level

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next