The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fury vs Whyte - UPDATE

+9
The Beast
Derek Smalls
Sgt_Pooly
Soul Requiem
Mr Bounce
kingraf
TRUSSMAN66
88Chris05
No name Bertie
13 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Fury vs Whyte - UPDATE  - Page 3 Empty Fury vs Whyte - UPDATE

Post by Guest Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:25 am

First topic message reminder :

Dillian Whyte seems to have lost his arbitration against the WBC.
The purse split has been set at 80/20 for Fury. Somewhat staggering they set it so low for Whyte.
Whyte had demanded $10m to avoid purse bids. So someone would have to bid $50m for Whyte to get that amount now.
What’s the predictions? Whyte to take the $5m Arum offered? Whyte walks away?

Last edited by Jeff Navarro on Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Fury vs Whyte - UPDATE  - Page 3 Empty Re: Fury vs Whyte - UPDATE

Post by Guest Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:55 pm

Fury isn’t retiring. He just announced he’s fighting Ngannou in an MMA/Boxing hybrid bout.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:02 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:If you sacrifice speed against a crafty boxer you are in trouble..

220 pound 87 Tyson would be too quick for Fury..

I think a lot of the 80s and 90s heavies would beat him. Riddick would have KO'd him, Lennox would have easily outboxed him and as you say, the fabled Prime Tyson would have knocked him out.

I think Vitali KOs him too. But hey, he can only fight in his own era.

Good performance tonight by Fury. He will be back.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:05 pm

Fury still has 1 fight left on his ESPN deal…yeah he’s not going anywhere.
No WBC mandatory for at least 12 months.
He can wait it out for Usyk-Joshua winner.

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:12 pm

I said Whyte wouldn't get near Fury if Fury was boxing and being methodical, but even I was surprised at the gulf in class there. It wasn't an outstanding or amazing performance by Fury as the BT team are saying. Not because he's incapable of that, but more because it didn't need to be. Never had to get out of second gear.

For all the talk about the champions avoiding Whyte, he was made to look very poor and I thought he missed his chance, which for me would have been jumping of Fury early (although I was working on the assumption that Fury would be heavier and looking to throw bombs a bit more, as per my previous post). You're not going to catch out a guy as awkward and technically sound as Fury winging up shots from your bootlaces like that. He was a sitting duck.

Fury should stick around and see if the chance to fight the winner of Joshua-Usyk II presents itself later this year. He'd be mad not to at least see how that one plays out because right now it'd all be set up for him to beat either one of them.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:50 pm

Well, one factor not looked at, I guess, especially with all of AJ's stadium fights that have made big British fights in front of 70 000+ look like the done thing, was how they'd handle fighting in front of 90 000. Whyte seemed to come in frazzled, and maybe he wasn't quite ready for those lights, because wtf was he doing fighting Southpaw to start the fight. His literal only chance was coming in hot and catching Fury with one of those short left hooks. Him and his team need to refund the fans like 50% of their tickets following that.

It's also the third time he's been put to bed with an uppercut. I get that he took boxing late, and he isn't supposed to be here etc etc - but it's the third time in seven years. You'd think that would have been a long enough for his trainer to teach him to stop ducking into punches.

I thought the fight itself was strangely subdued. Fury was definitely up 5-0 on my card or something prior to the knock out, but it wasn't exactly enthralling viewing. Just seemed... straight forward. Fury had a good camp, wasn't complacent, and Whyte helped out by not learning from the past and also neutering himself.

Moving forward, if this is it for Fury, it probably would be enough to cement him as the fighter of his era. Even if Usyk goes undisputed, he's said before that he wants to be undisputed and then call it a day, while if AJ manages the same, he'd have two pretty glaring losses, one of them to a fat guy who didn't even know he was fighting AJ until a month and a half prior to the fight, so his losses will always glare that little bit more, even if he does have more noteworthy wins. Seems like Ngannou/Fury is next in an ugly MMA/BOXING hybrid. Won't be watching, but good on Fury for making money without risking his boxing legacy.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:03 am

Thank God Fury was at less than 75% laughing

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:18 am

This was kind of disappointing, and as kingraf mentioned subdued. Whyte wasn't able to look Fury in the eyes when the referee was giving them his "defend yourself at all times talk" to start the fight, and during the fight, Whyte seemed uncomfortable as he couldn't really get close enough to lay a glove on Fury - Whyte couldn't get a decent handle on Fury's positioning and movement and he ended up making some wild swings. The knockdown punch seemed fairly innocuous, but there is one camera angle that shows Fury hitting Whyte flush on the chin with a short uppercut, Whyte was moving forward, his head doesn't noticeably snap backward, but it scrambled his brain, and he wasn't able to recover in time. Even though Tyson Fury came in light for him for this fight his physique still looks unshapely and unathletic.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:39 am

Fury showed he was all wrong for Whyte and really exposed his limitations as a fighter. Made Whyte look terrible frankly.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:04 pm

I based my above comment on watching limited highlights and listening to someones commentary on the fight.  Having now seen the entire fight I have a modified opinion.  I wouldn't say "subdued" I would say it was tactical with Fury making best use of his physical size and reach advantages.   Fury kept the fight at distance and when Whyte managed to get on the inside Fury tied him up and leant on him.   Fury's movement and size made it very difficult for Whyte and he got tired.  The knockdown and inability to recover in time I put down to a combination of a good punch to the chin plus tiredness.   Overall it was Fury's size, reach advantage, movement, timing and having sufficient power that was too much for Dillian Whyte, who I think tried his best.   Whyte did clip Fury a few times, mostly body shots and a few head shots but Fury was mostly able to ride those punches.  Whyte did gas out a little and became a little more reckless in the last two rounds.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:23 pm

No name Bertie wrote:Whyte did gas out a little and became a little more reckless in the last two rounds.

Bruno struggled with stamina and he was one inch smaller and over a stone lighter..

Page.. Witherspoon..Tubbs were called slobs at 235 and 6-3...Granted they weren't well muscled but not being well muscled helped with depletion..

Whyte not helping himself being over weight and over built..

If he is lifting weight he needs to stop.

But he can come again...When the belts fragment eventually and they will he can win one...Very little talent at Heavy...Not sold on Joyce..Parker is a stiff and he slaps Dubois.

TRUSSMAN66

No name Bertie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3