The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGATour Running Commentary January 2022

+20
JDizzle
superflyweight
robopz
Plunky
pedro
beninho
TM2K
Good Golly I'm Olly
BlueCoverman
super_realist
RDW
Davie
ralphjohn69
LadyPutt
JAS
Shotrock
McLaren
incontinentia
I'm never wrong
GPB
24 posters

Page 3 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 19  Next

Go down

PGATour Running Commentary January 2022 - Page 3 Empty PGATour Running Commentary January 2022

Post by GPB Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:32 am

First topic message reminder :

Happy New Year.  After a nearly a year and half, its time for a new thread.

39 ofthe 40 Players eligible to play Sentry ToC are playing.  Only one missing is Rory McIlroy.

GPB

Back to top Go down

PGATour Running Commentary January 2022 - Page 3 Empty Re: PGATour Running Commentary January 2022

Post by McLaren Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:23 pm

Just when you think Mickelson can't make it any worse.

PGATour Running Commentary January 2022 - Page 3 FMOqfz-UcAAK7ru?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Basically this is just him groveling to the "visionaries" that are the Saudi golf league. This statement is just so devoid of any understanding about what he got wrong and what he can do to mend relationships with the PGAT (which includes his fellow players, you are the PGAT phil). It is just crazy that in a supposed apology he us still waxing lyrical about how everyone else other than him and the Saudis just don't get it.

And do we think "some time away to prioritize" is code for he got a ban? I thought in Phils case the ban from the PGAT wouldn't have followed the historical precedent of them being hushed up, but maybe they afforded him a final act of charity given how far he has fallen.

And KPMG are presumably the first of many that will dump him.
McLaren
McLaren

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

PGATour Running Commentary January 2022 - Page 3 Empty Re: PGATour Running Commentary January 2022

Post by super_realist Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:27 am

Hes just an American Mac, not known for diplomacy or intelligence, see Biden's inept statement yesterday for example

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:16 am

McLaren wrote:Just when you think Mickelson can't make it any worse.

PGATour Running Commentary January 2022 - Page 3 FMOqfz-UcAAK7ru?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Basically this is just him groveling to the "visionaries" that are the Saudi golf league. This statement is just so devoid of any understanding about what he got wrong and what he can do to mend relationships with the PGAT (which includes his fellow players, you are the PGAT phil). It is just crazy that in a supposed apology he us still waxing lyrical about how everyone else other than him and the Saudis just don't get it.

And do we think "some time away to prioritize" is code for he got a ban? I thought in Phils case the ban from the PGAT wouldn't have followed the historical precedent of them being hushed up, but maybe they afforded him a final act of charity given how far he has fallen.

He thinks he's the smartest bloke in the room, when evidently he isn't. Quite liked the No Laying Up podcast saying they'd love to play him at poker, because he wouldn't be able to bluff at all Very Happy

I don't see how the PGA Tour doesn't ban him for a while? I'm not sure if this was coded wording McLaren, Phil released this statement at a rather strategic time (two minutes after a PGA Tour meeting with players, so they wouldn't see it before that meeting)...so I'm not sure he's exactly in lock step with them. As you note, he doesn't actually apologise to the PGA Tour in anyway in that statement and basically is trying to still present himself as some sort of almost martyr?

Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:13 am

McLaren wrote:It's possible FIGJAM is broke? Wasted all his wealth.
I doubt it. He has $250M in the PGA Tour pension fund.
But with his history of gambling and tax evasion you can not be surprised he's chasing the money. Just wonder what the PGA Tour did to piss him off?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:29 am

Pedro

He won't get that in a lump sum. He could easily have a cash flow problem.

And he made it pretty clear what the PGAT did to piss him off. They didn't give him enough money and gave too much to the guys further down the rankings (which Phil is now :headscratch: )

He has also decided that the tour has stolen the media rights he gave up in joining the tour, those same rights that the tour (which includes him) sell to TV broadcasters in order to generate the money needed to run the tour. The guy is a dumb ass. He thinks that selling a Phil Mickelson NFT is worth more than the tour being able to sell a TV package.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:36 am

I think Phils statement is nauseating, the way only Americans can make them.

Everybody knows getting deeply involved with the Saudi's would be like opening a can of worms. Just see the amount of stick Qatar is getting now the World Cup is approaching. It's just lose lose. You should deal with these regimes at arms length.

However, what I did like about Phil's original comments to Shipnuck is that he is blatantly honest and basically illustrates the dilemma the West has been in for years, and which we also have been discussing in this forum. Not only when in comes to Saudi (and the Saudi Invitational in the past few years), but also when it comes to sports dealings with China, Qatar, Russia and other dodgy regimes: They are all terrible regimes, but they have money and they stage big sporting events, so what do we do about that?

The PGA Tour will undoubtedly survive regardless, but where would European Golf be with out the Emiratis? And where would the English Premier league be without gulf money and corrupt oligarcs?

So at least I hope the Phil-gate would contribute to opening this discussion once again. In the ideal world we would show them the middle finger, but unfortunately I don't see that happen anytime soon.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:42 am

McLaren wrote:Pedro

He won't get that in a lump sum. He could easily have a cash flow problem.

And he made it pretty clear what the PGAT did to piss him off. They didn't give him enough money and gave too much to the guys further down the rankings (which Phil is now Headscratch )

He has also decided that the tour has stolen the media rights he gave up in joining the tour, those same rights that the tour (which includes him) sell to TV broadcasters in order to generate the money needed to run the tour. The guy is a dumb ass. He thinks that selling a Phil Mickelson NFT is worth more than the tour being able to sell a TV package.
Yes he might have squandered his money in Vegas and now need some padding until his pension. But as the players own the PGA Tour, and as he has been one of the big names for 25+ years, you should think he would have been in a position to negotiate a decent deal when it comes to media rights. What happened to this new thing about players getting paid based on their media attractiveness? One should think that spoke in favour of Phil.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:04 am

Lots of upstart leagues have been started here in the states and some have succeeded: the ABA became so big the NBA basically assumed it.

But lots of other have failed: USFL, XFL to name two.

Adding to the complexity for golf is that venues have to be secured, crowd logistics managed and media rights negotiated and contracted for. No small task ... but throwing money sure helps things go smoother and faster.

So good luck to the league, but it's a long shot IMO.

FIGJAM sure didn't help the cause. My thinking is that his self perception is so out of whack that he simply thinks his gee-whiz smile (and the fact that he's been pandered to by many rich and powerful jock sniffers) gets him a free pass on his comments.

That didn't happen.

I found this amusing and telling: Dan Rapaport@Daniel_RapaportOne thing a tour player said to me last week about Phil Mickelson, anonymously, has stuck with me. “This is nothing new. The world is just starting to see what we’ve known.”3:02 PM · Feb 22, 2022·Twitter for iPhone

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:59 am

Apparently Zach Johnson will be the US RC captain in Rome. We knew it wasn't going to be FIGJAM.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:23 pm

What I can’t quite work out is who he is apologising to - the PGA Tour who he has insulted, his fellow professionals (ditto) or his potential paymasters, the Saudis and Greg Norman. I suspect the latter in which case this grovelling apology just makes it worse.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

pedro likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:19 am

McLaren wrote:Apparently Zach Johnson will be the US RC captain in Rome. We knew it wasn't going to be FIGJAM.
Jesus will be a vice captain. Praise the Lord.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:30 am

McLaren wrote:Apparently Zach Johnson will be the US RC captain in Rome. We knew it wasn't going to be FIGJAM.
They chose the guy with less charisma than a soaked Monday morning newspaper. Zach is a nice guy, but I can't imagine players like Brooks, Bryson or Dustin going out there "to win for their captain"...

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:35 am

super_realist wrote:
Jesus will be a  vice captain. Praise the Lord.
Pope Francis will be VC. It's a win or the purgatory.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:37 am

LadyPutt wrote:

What I can’t quite work out is who he is apologising to - the PGA Tour who he has insulted, his fellow professionals (ditto) or his potential paymasters, the Saudis and Greg Norman. I suspect the latter in which case this grovelling apology just makes it worse.
It comes across as an a la carte excuse to anyone who might be offended, either on their own or on others behalf. Pathetic.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:43 am

Woods mustnt have been interested, surely he'd be way higher on the pecking order than Zzzach.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:51 am

incontinentia wrote:
Woods mustnt have been interested, surely he'd be way higher on the pecking order than Zzzach.
Think he needs more reps.

pedro

TM2K and incontinentia like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:47 am

Ladyputt

I am pretty sure it was a half baked attempt by Phil to ensure he could still tap into the Saudi slush fund. I doubt they were wooed.

Also, apparently The shark has written to the players informing them the nasty PGAT can't actually ban them for joining the SGL.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:04 am

Brandel Chamblee really ripped Phil on a recent podcast.

incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:50 am

Not sure how we have missed it so far, but there has to be a shark jump joke somewhere in there with all this Norman and Phil stuff.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:51 am

Inco, at what time in that podcast does brandel rip into phil? Probably don't have time to listen to it all but would be interested to hear that.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:07 am

Brandel is a fud too

super_realist

incontinentia likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:12 am

McLaren wrote:Inco, at what time in that podcast does brandel rip into phil? Probably don't have time to listen to it all but would be interested to hear that.
Mainly from 5:00 to 10:00, then from 24:00 he catalogues instances of Phil's past behaviour that could be considered concerning.

incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:09 pm

Go Shane Lowry.

Was pleased to check the leaderboard this morning and see him tied 2nd. The pga tour's 3rd round highlights video didn't feature him at all Rolling Eyes
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by TM2K Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:29 pm

super_realist wrote:
Jesus will be a  vice captain. Praise the Lord.

I can picture the headlines already…zach abandoning all qualification processes in favour of a complete team full of picks…his picks…perhaps his very own 12 disciples to enjoy supper with.
Come on super, who’ll take the 30 pieces of silver, betray his leader and throw him under the bus?? Got to be a level CROSSing pun in there somewhere if we put our heads together

TM2K

pedro and incontinentia like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TM2K Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:07 pm

As for Johnson being devoid of any charisma or personality and not likely to inspire certain team members…I’m not actually sure if there’s a great deal of substance to any of that. From what I’ve read and heard he’s a pretty popular guy on tour and certainly very well respected by the younger generation. Two major wins and both of them quality wins at that…you’d have to think somebody like Morikawa would admire his achievements seeing as he’s not one the game’s bombers and has always plotted and thought his way around the course. I’m pretty sure I read an article highlighting how there was an increase in the number of “shorter hitters” winning on tour last year and the predicted dominance of the big boys failing to materialise…I can only think that’s good for the game.

And if there were certain disciples on his team that we’re looking to the captain for motivation, my view is any issues solely lie with them and if they can’t get up for a Ryder cup themselves then perhaps they shouldn’t be there to begin with.

Just take the European captains as an example, does anyone think Mcginley was held in high esteem for his successes as a player or thought of him as someone they’d look up to?? But to a man, the European side all speak very fondly of him and his captaincy…just shows it’s not really about playing pedigree when it comes to a captain’s role. Everyone I know can’t stand listening to his commentary on sky and thinks he irritating beyond belief but that clearly didn’t affect his RC role which is widely considered to have been a great success.
I’d doubt Faldo or Clarke’s playing pedigree did them too many favours

TM2K

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:23 am

Morikawa is 60th in driving distance out of 222 players, hes only 18 yards behind longest driver Champ, so he's not short by any means.

Flado also has no personality, look what happened.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:44 am

Sounds like Big Shane was in very hard luck yesterday; a downpour of rain arrived just as he was about to tee off on 18, which prevented him reaching the green in two and making birdie to make a play off. I fancy him for a win in the next couple of months though, hopefully the Masters!
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:04 am

You would think that if anyone could have handled the rain it would be Irish born and bred golfer Lowry.

Some bad luck but that's how things go. Still, a confidence builder for him.

Phil not really liked (respected for sure until recently), by his fellow pros. Not someone I would pick for RC Capt.

Shotrock

TM2K likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TM2K Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:23 am

I didn’t realise Morikawa was 60th in driving distance, but theory still kind of stands, he does think his way round the course and is a phenomenal iron player with some of the smallest dispersion numbers ever seen.
Does show how little’s between the top guys though if he’s less than 20 yards behind the top guy

TM2K

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:06 pm

1. Bryson DeChambeau out of Arnold Palmer Invitational. He's only 90% fit and doesn't want to come back to early from injury in case he has to take time off later on.

2. After the Honda, we have completed 40% of the regular season.

3. No final qualifying in England this year for the US Open.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:49 am

incontinentia wrote:Sounds like Big Shane was in very hard luck yesterday; a downpour of rain arrived just as he was about to tee off on 18, which prevented him reaching the green in two and making birdie to make a play off. I fancy him for a win in the next couple of months though, hopefully the Masters!
Kitayama and Straka both reached the green in two (and made birdie) in equally heavy rain. Big Shane's problem was that he missed the fw.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:25 am

Morikawa might be 60th in driving distance but he is almost Tiger'esque from 150+ out.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by ralphjohn69 Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:50 pm

pedro wrote:
incontinentia wrote:Sounds like Big Shane was in very hard luck yesterday; a downpour of rain arrived just as he was about to tee off on 18, which prevented him reaching the green in two and making birdie to make a play off. I fancy him for a win in the next couple of months though, hopefully the Masters!
Kitayama and Straka both reached the green in two (and made birdie) in equally heavy rain. Big Shane's problem was that he missed the fw.

The difference is Straka & Kitayama had both hit their drives before the heavy rain came on, Straka only had 199 in and from memory Kitayama was something like 215. Once the heavy stuff came on it was almost impossible to hit a long enough drive to get there in 2.

ralphjohn69

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:25 am

This cash award confuses me:https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/02/sports/golf/pga-tiger-woods-phil-mickelson.html

But, FIGJAM continues to put foot in mouth.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:32 am

Shotrock wrote:
This cash award confuses me:https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/02/sports/golf/pga-tiger-woods-phil-mickelson.html

But, FIGJAM continues to put foot in mouth.
The site is asking me to log in, and I don't want to. But if you are talking about the PIP award, I have seen one explanation that is plausible, and one with a conspiracy theory.

The plausible explanation is that it is the IMPACT of the player over the media, not just how many tweets etc they did. So the video of Tiger hitting a 3 wood and his attendance at the father/son challenge surpassed anything anyone else did.
The conspiracy theory relates to Jordan Spieth. Apparently it's his father or father in law that devised the system to measure the impact. So that is why with only 29 tweets, Jordan Spieth got into the top ten. Allegedly.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:49 am

INW

I think it is true that Jordan Spieth's father's company does have something to do with the measurement for PIP but Spieth is clearly one of the top 10 most impactful players whoever measures it.

As you said it is rumored to be about more than just social media posts, and in that light it makes even more sense that Spieth is in the top 10 and that Tiger is still the guy that moves the needle the most.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:43 am

Another Thursday clinic from Rory, golfing genius. Be interesting to see where he finishes on Sunday.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:25 am

For sure …. Hope he keeps that form for Augusta.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:56 am

Watching the early coverage on Sky which takes its feed from PGA Live. The commentators explained the graphic next to the players name and score. It's a box divided by a line. The players position will appear above the line if he's going to make the cut, below the line if he's going to miss. No line, and he's on the mark. Good to know.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:34 pm

Shotrock wrote:For sure …. Hope he keeps that form for Augusta.
I have longed for him to avenge 2011, but you get the feeling it just ain't gonna happen.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:02 pm

Rory's bad round can often be a 75. I wonder if today was his obligatory bad round and it was only level?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:43 am

McLaren wrote:Rory's bad round can often be a 75. I wonder if today was his obligatory bad round and it was only level?
Followed by a 76! The scores of 65/72/76 are not exactly the way to go - backwards. Rolling Eyes
And another 76 today. Won’t be putting any money on him any day soon.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:48 am

LadyPutt wrote:
McLaren wrote:Rory's bad round can often be a 75. I wonder if today was his obligatory bad round and it was only level?
Followed by a 76! The scores of 65/72/76 are not exactly the way to go - backwards. Rolling Eyes
And another 76 today. Won’t be putting any money on him any day soon.
Rory seems to be blaming the conditions more than his play, he sounded very frustrated in his post-round comments yesterday.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:21 am

The conditions were brutal out there - Scheffler won hitting only 5 fairways, and somehow managed to scramble an even par round!

Two wins in three starts for him now, with a top 10 at Riv in between. Looks like he's taken great confidence from that captains pick for the Ryder Cup and really pushed on
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:43 am

I really like the cut of Scheffler's jib.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:50 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:The conditions were brutal out there - Scheffler won hitting only 5 fairways, and somehow managed to scramble an even par round!

Fairway Percentage rankings is a poor predictor of tournament Finish. Scheffler was T56th (out of 77) in fairways hit for the week.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:04 pm

GPB wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:The conditions were brutal out there - Scheffler won hitting only 5 fairways, and somehow managed to scramble an even par round!

Fairway Percentage rankings is a poor predictor of tournament Finish.  Scheffler was T56th (out of 77) in fairways hit for the week.

Just ask TW.

Interestingly enough I think Boo Weekley lost his card one year while being number 1 for the greens in regulation stat.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:32 am

Probably because he couldn't see his ball whilst putting due to his grotesque fat belly.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:18 am

incontinentia wrote:I really like the cut of Scheffler's jib.

He looks about 45.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:21 am

Apparently Tigers daughter will speak during Tigers induction later. Should be a wonderful event.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 19  Next