The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGATour Running Commentary January 2022

+16
pedro
beninho
TM2K
Good Golly I'm Olly
BlueCoverman
super_realist
RDW
Davie
ralphjohn69
LadyPutt
JAS
Shotrock
McLaren
incontinentia
I'm never wrong
GPB
20 posters

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

PGATour Running Commentary January 2022 - Page 4 Empty PGATour Running Commentary January 2022

Post by GPB Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:32 pm

First topic message reminder :

Happy New Year.  After a nearly a year and half, its time for a new thread.

39 ofthe 40 Players eligible to play Sentry ToC are playing.  Only one missing is Rory McIlroy.

GPB

incontinentia likes this post

Back to top Go down

PGATour Running Commentary January 2022 - Page 4 Empty Re: PGATour Running Commentary January 2022

Post by super_realist Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:34 am

McLaren wrote:Apparently Tigers daughter will speak during Tigers induction later. Should be a wonderful event.

laughing laughing laughing

super_realist

Back to top Go down

PGATour Running Commentary January 2022 - Page 4 Empty Re: PGATour Running Commentary January 2022

Post by McLaren Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:59 pm

PGATour Running Commentary January 2022 - Page 4 FNdbr1eXEAMAy67?format=jpg&name=large

Beautiful
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:01 pm

PGATour Running Commentary January 2022 - Page 4 FNc8qNzXoA87QrG?format=jpg&name=large
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:53 pm

Nice to see Tommy Fleetwood's name back near the top of the leaderboard - fell off a bit recently, but hopefully he can stick around and compete this weekend.

Does seem like there are going to be a lot of weather issues, and potentially a Monday finish this week. Hopefully not too much of a draw bias
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:29 pm

Weather delays really put off even starting to watch live golf. It can be dull at the best of times but knowing you might have several hours of interruption just puts me right off.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:23 pm

Mayhem in the wind on the 17th on resumption. All three tee shots of first group to play, into the water. Two bogeys and a double the result.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:20 pm

McLaren wrote:PGATour Running Commentary January 2022 - Page 4 FNc8qNzXoA87QrG?format=jpg&name=large
I enjoyed Eldrick's speech a lot. He spoke of not being allowed in clubhouses as a kid because of the colour of his skin... were such practices really in place as recently as the 80's?! I'll take his word for it, but would've thought that to be illegal (although the courts here ruled that Portmarnock golf club could keep its male-only rule as private clubs can have whatever rules they want, so maybe this can apply to race too).
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:22 pm

I'm never wrong wrote:Mayhem in the wind on the 17th on resumption. All three tee shots of first group to play, into the water. Two bogeys and a double the result.
It looked like carnage from the highlights reel I watched. Players taking 7 irons into the 17th and still missing it by miles. The best players in the world were made to look very foolish indeed.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:26 pm

Not sure if this is the place for this, but I will be in Boston in June and hope to attend the US Open in Brookline one of the days. Tbh I'd be happy enough going on a practice day, away from the hullabaloo of the main event. Has anyone here attended and Open etc on a practice day? Robot PZ and Kwiniaskagolfer would probably have some good tips on this, but I dont see them around here much anymore.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:44 pm

Scott Piercy scores a 7 on the 17th and brings all those on +2 back into the competition to play the final two rounds.
Edit - if he or Watney get a birdie on the last, the +2's go back out.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:39 pm

Nice hole-in-one from Fat Shane on 17.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:10 pm

pedro wrote:Nice hole-in-one from Phat Shane on 17.
Fixed your post
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:27 pm

Really nice win by Cam Smith. Made some very clutch putts coming down the stretch. His up and down on 18 for a bogey after he put it in the water was most impressive.

Perhaps the worst hair style on tour!

If Hovland sharpens his short game we are probably looking at a World #1 very soon.

Shotrock

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:35 pm

Cam Smith for the Masters?
McLaren
McLaren

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:20 pm

incontinentia wrote:Not sure if this is the place for this, but I will be in Boston in June and hope to attend the US Open in Brookline one of the days. Tbh I'd be happy enough going on a practice day, away from the hullabaloo of the main event. Has anyone here attended and Open etc on a practice day? Robot PZ and Kwiniaskagolfer would probably have some good tips on this, but I dont see them around here much anymore.

We went to the Monday practice round at Bethpage (2009?).  Morning weather was heavy rain so that probably had an impact on attendance but it wasn’t crowded and we had a great time.  All the usual concession stands were there, there was a list of pairings available so you could choose a group and follow them if you wanted to.   Players for the most part were relaxed and in good humor and they hung around the greens chipping and putting for a while.   You could certainly get a lot closer to the players than you could later in the week.  Weather definitely had an impact though.  We also attended a practice round at The Barclays at Bethpage — perfect weather, busier than the Open, but still a relaxed atmosphere.  Plenty of autographs being given, pictures taken etc.  Have fun !

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:15 pm

McLaren wrote:Cam Smith for the Masters?
Didn't he shoot four rounds in the 60's a couple of years ago? When DJ won?

I'm never wrong

TM2K likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:35 pm

Plunky wrote:
incontinentia wrote:Not sure if this is the place for this, but I will be in Boston in June and hope to attend the US Open in Brookline one of the days. Tbh I'd be happy enough going on a practice day, away from the hullabaloo of the main event. Has anyone here attended and Open etc on a practice day? Robot PZ and Kwiniaskagolfer would probably have some good tips on this, but I dont see them around here much anymore.

We went to the Monday practice round at Bethpage (2009?).  Morning weather was heavy rain so that probably had an impact on attendance but it wasn’t crowded and we had a great time.  All the usual concession stands were there, there was a list of pairings available so you could choose a group and follow them if you wanted to.   Players for the most part were relaxed and in good humor and they hung around the greens chipping and putting for a while.   You could certainly get a lot closer to the players than you could later in the week.  Weather definitely had an impact though.  We also attended a practice round at The Barclays at Bethpage — perfect weather, busier than the Open, but still a relaxed atmosphere.  Plenty of autographs being given, pictures taken etc.  Have fun !
Sounds great Plunky, thanks for that. Sounds like the plan for me!
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:06 pm

Lu Lian Huan (aka Mr Lu) has passed away a few days ago

Famous for his 2nd place in the 1971 Open (to Lee Trevino), Mr Lu did have notable resume of wins.

He won the National Opens of

France
Phillipines
Taiwan
Hong Kong
Thailand
Panama

I can't imagine the list of players who won more different National Opens is very long.

He won 8x on the Japan tour, including playoff wins against Isao Aoki and Jumbo Ozaki

RIP Mr Lu

GPB

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:54 am

Phil Mickelson has WDed from the 2022 Masters

LIV Golf league has announced its first event at the Centurion Golf Club in London the week before the US Open.

They have also announced an event at Pumpkin Ridge in Oregon and some of the membership is not very happy about it.

Has there been any backlash from the Centurion Membership?

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:10 pm

GPB

I think the Centurion was built for the sort of people that do business with the Saudis.

Has Phil actually withdrawn or is that just how it has been decided that him not playing will be spun?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:32 pm

From what I’ve read it was Phil’s decision, but Augusta weren’t exactly sad he made that decision. Kind of like when you’re going to a family gathering and find out that cousin you’ve never liked isn’t going to show up, but you have to save face and go “oh that’s a shame” but inside you’re delighted
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:31 pm

Was Lee Westwoods twitter squabble last night over supposed hypocrisy around how different Saudi events are covered an indication he will be teeing it up at the Centurion in June?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:26 pm

That's Poulter out of the Matchplay. Wonder if he will play the Valero Texas Open to see if he can win it and get into the Masters. He won the Houston Open in 2018 to do exactly that. Bit of a long shot, methinks.....

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:49 pm

I'm never wrong wrote:That's Poulter out of the Matchplay. Wonder if he will play the Valero Texas Open to see if he can win it and get into the Masters. He won the Houston Open in 2018 to do exactly that. Bit of a long shot, methinks.....
Its great that we're still talking about Poulter, he's had fantastic longevity in the game.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:33 am

Poulter did signup for Valero Texas Open in an 11th Hour attempt to make the Masters. He wasn't in the field earlier this week.

He has made the cut at the Master 15 (out of 16) appearances, which is pretty remarkable since it has a reputation as a bombers course.

Trivia Time:

Nicklaus hold the record for making the cut at the Masters with 37 Made Cuts. Of the golfers who never won the Masters, who has made the cut the most times?

Answer::

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:13 pm

Seamus Power books his 1st Masters spot Very Happy
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:17 am

Notice anything unusual about this PGA Tour highlights video of Scheffler and Seamus Power's match?

incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:58 pm

Should Scottie win this week, his OWGR avg will be 8.29 which will be #1.

Jon Rahm's avg will be 8.22.

The #1 Ranking is getting close to an all time low in terms of Average Points. The April 24, 2011 ranking had Lee Westwood ranked #1, with an average of 7.65. The April 17, 2011 ranking had Martin Kaymer ranked number #1, also at 7.65.

If Scottie finishes 2nd, he will be #3 overtaking Viktor.

In any event, #1 will definitely by up for Grabs in two weeks at ANGC. Scottie, Rahm, Colin, Viktor, Patty Ice, and CamSmith will all have an opportunity for the #1 ranking right at ANGC.

Scottie was in the field for next week's Valero Texas Open but withdrew this weekend.

Incidentally, Rory is playing next week.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:55 am

Scheffler did make it to world number #1, and three wins in just over a month (all at pretty different courses!). Had heard a few say "if he wins one, he could go onto win a few in a row" but that almost never seems to actually happen...

Saw Justin Ray tweeted he has six consecutive top 20 finishes in majors too - seems unlikely he wins 4 events in such short succession, but with Ted Scott on the bag and in this form...surely has to be close to the favourite now for Augusta?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:20 pm

Well, good for Scheffler.

Yesterday's action was a poster child for why matchplay can be very dull viewing.

One can fully understand why the networks and many professionals do not want more matchplay events.

Last edited by Shotrock on Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Shotrock

pedro, ralphjohn69, Good Golly I'm Olly and GPB like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:38 pm

As I have said several times, IMO, Match Play is a terrible format for Tournament Cup. Great format for the Ryder Cup, Walker Cup, Solheim Etc. but terrible for Tournament Golf.

I really like Austin Country Club. I think it would be a fun course to play every day. But the Driving Range Net and Power Lines are big Eyesores.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by ralphjohn69 Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:44 pm

Shotrock wrote:Well, good for Scheffler.

Yesterday's action was a poster child for why matchplay can be very dull viewing.

One can fully understand why the networks and many professionals do not want more matchplay events.

Agreed, it's actually a good tournament until the last day, when it's boring as hell.  I didn't watch the final, can scarcely think of 2 less interesting golfers to watch than Scheffler & Kisner. Also the golf course is good but why cut all the rough away? Unless in a bunker or water, or unlucky enough to be near one of the few trees, there's zero penalty for missing a fairway.

ralphjohn69

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:07 pm

I like the rough being cut, it means that the ball has a better chance of reaching a penalty area.

IMO, that is the reason why bombers like Johnson, Koepka (twice), Woodland, DeChambeau and Rahm have won the last 6 US Opens. High Rough. It prevents slightly wayward tee shots from getting in bigger trouble.

GPB

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:33 pm

GPB wrote:I like the rough being cut, it means that the ball has a better chance of reaching a penalty area.

IMO, that is the reason why bombers like Johnson, Koepka (twice), Woodland, DeChambeau and Rahm have won the last 6 US Opens.  High Rough.  It prevents slightly wayward tee shots from getting in bigger trouble.

From what I have seen I agree with this GPB - what particularly annoys me is the rough around the green, where golfers can just go gung ho at a pin and have the ball stop no more than 2/3 yards off the green because it's stopped by the rough (and then it's the same chip shot on repeat as a viewer). I love when the ball can roll away, off the green by 10-20 odd yards in cases, and the subsequent chips from around the green.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:46 pm

Shotrock wrote:Well, good for Scheffler.

Two of the most dull players in golf…

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:30 pm

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned more (here or anywhere else) but Scottie has 28 OWGR points from finishing second at the Hero.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:00 pm

McLaren wrote:Surprised it hasn't been mentioned more (here or anywhere else) but Scottie has 28 OWGR points from finishing second at the Hero.

Correct. Technically he has 27.55 pts as there has been a few weeks of attrition.

Most of the Top Players also have OWGR points from the HWC. With a few exceptions like Rahm and Cantlay. But both of them were invited to play the HWC so IMO, if Rahm nation and Patty Ice fans are upset,

Earlier this month, Justin Rose was exempted into the Players Championship, based on his Top 50 ranking after the Honda Classic. He would not have been in the Top 50 had he not played the HWC. The first alternate (forgot who it was) did not get into the tournament was denied access because of Rose's HWC performance (incidentally, Rose didn't even play that well, finishing 3 way tie for 9th, out of 20 players)

That is my biggest issue with the HWC because it helps players stay in the Top 50 which is a competitive advantage over players that are not in the Top 50. Usually HWC contestants are not on the Top 50 bubble, but it has helped players get exempt for tournaments when ordinarily it would not have. GMAC for the 2010 US Open is the most notable example. Tiger Woods got into the 2018 WGC Bridgestone (barely) by virtue of his HWC appearances in 2016 and 2017.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:45 pm

Scheffler may be boring (as well as Kisner), but I do enjoy watching him compete more than his fellow Texan Spieth.

Meanwhile, how would you like to have the PR task to resurrect Figjam? I just read that the Saudis beheaded 81 people yesterday. I wonder if Figjam or Greg "the ego" Norman will comment on that?

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:15 pm

Well I've made one of my four trips of the year to the bookmakers to make my selections for the Masters. I usually do one "favourite", a couple of "middling" players and one outsider. So, D Johnson (14/1), W Zalatoris (33/1), C Conners (66/1) and K Kisner (125/1)
The bookmaker has offered 1-5 at 1/4 odds E/W and my money back as a free bet if any of my selections fail to make the cut.

On another aspect of the Masters, Tiger may play. Mac - are you pleased for him to be back? My only observation about that is that if he does play, we will see every shot he makes, at the expense of others who might be playing well. I would hope that the broadcasters would be more even handed, but they are beholden to viewing figures I guess. I wonder if they can up their advertising rates if he plays?

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:30 pm

Rory will win the Masters.

I know I say that every year, but this year I am correct.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:56 am

Shotrock wrote:Rory will win the Masters.

I know I say that every year, but this year I am correct.
He'll never win it sadly.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:03 am

The best chance for Rory to win the Masters this year is if Tiger plays.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:40 pm

Poulter has the weekend off, and next week off too.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:18 pm

Tiger announces he is playing. Thursday tee times

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:37 pm

I'm never wrong wrote:Tiger announces he is playing. Thursday tee times
Oh joy - not Sad Now the TV cameras won’t be showing anyone else.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:57 pm

LadyPutt wrote:
I'm never wrong wrote:Tiger announces he is playing. Thursday tee times
Oh joy - not Sad  Now the TV cameras won’t be showing anyone else.
I'm happy he's playing. And if Fred Couples is to believed he's playing well!

Anyone have any thoughts on who our champion might be on Sunday? I'm hoping Shane Lowry can make good on some recent good form and bring home an extra item of clothing from Georgia.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:10 am

Obligatory Champions Dinner Picture. Best comment was

"Phil must have been taking the picture"

https://twitter.com/TheMasters/status/1511492158225846285

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:09 am

Hideki’s menu was a 10/10 - superb work

As for a winner this week? My pick is Rory, pure heart decision. My head decision thinks it’ll be played out between Koepka and DJ, who’ve both been playing decent under the radar golf recently I think
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:09 pm

LadyPutt wrote:Oh joy - not Sad  Now the TV cameras won’t be showing anyone else.
It started with watching him hit every shot. They even showed him waiting on the tee for the fairway to clear. Luckily I have Sky's "Red Button" so I can select things like Amen Corner, other holes or other featured groups.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:29 pm

Great round from Tiger - 1 under par, superb

Considering all the rain they had, course is playing very tough still - love the changes to 11
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next