The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGATour Running Commentary January 2022

+16
pedro
beninho
TM2K
Good Golly I'm Olly
BlueCoverman
super_realist
RDW
Davie
ralphjohn69
LadyPutt
JAS
Shotrock
McLaren
incontinentia
I'm never wrong
GPB
20 posters

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

PGATour Running Commentary January 2022 - Page 5 Empty PGATour Running Commentary January 2022

Post by GPB Sat 01 Jan 2022, 2:32 pm

First topic message reminder :

Happy New Year.  After a nearly a year and half, its time for a new thread.

39 ofthe 40 Players eligible to play Sentry ToC are playing.  Only one missing is Rory McIlroy.

GPB

incontinentia likes this post

Back to top Go down

PGATour Running Commentary January 2022 - Page 5 Empty Re: PGATour Running Commentary January 2022

Post by incontinentia Thu 07 Apr 2022, 10:56 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Great round from Tiger - 1 under par, superb

Considering all the rain they had, course is playing very tough still - love the changes to 11
The sub air systems in the greens mean they can dry them out while the rest of the course is wet, pretty sneaky.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

PGATour Running Commentary January 2022 - Page 5 Empty Re: PGATour Running Commentary January 2022

Post by LadyPutt Thu 07 Apr 2022, 11:01 pm

I'm never wrong wrote:
LadyPutt wrote:Oh joy - not Sad  Now the TV cameras won’t be showing anyone else.
It started with watching him hit every shot. They even showed him waiting on the tee for the fairway to clear. Luckily I have Sky's "Red Button" so I can select things like Amen Corner, other holes or other featured groups.
I’ve record3d it so I can fast-forward. Trouble is there’s so much tosh (adverts, leaderboards, inane chat, Woods etc) that I keep catching it up and have to stop it and watch something else recorded, usually an episode of a drama!
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 08 Apr 2022, 12:38 am

Fine day for Tiger. Not sure he will fare as well tomorrow when the wind comes up. Still, I would have not bet on him making the cut, which he could well do.

Rory not off to the start I had envisioned.

Zalatoris is so thin it looks like he has to run around in the shower to get wet.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 09 Apr 2022, 12:20 am

Quite the round from Scheffler - 5 shot lead going into the weekend.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sat 09 Apr 2022, 9:01 pm

Unseasonably cold in Augusta today it seems. Hopefully the conditions will suit Lowry.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sat 09 Apr 2022, 9:21 pm

Did you hear Billy Foster telling Matt Fitzpatrick to get on with it after he dawdled a bit too much over a shot yesterday? Brilliant!!
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 09 Apr 2022, 10:27 pm

incontinentia wrote:Did you hear Billy Foster telling Matt Fitzpatrick to get on with it after he dawdled a bit too much over a shot yesterday? Brilliant!!

I suspect that he never told Seve to get on with it.

GPB

incontinentia likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sun 10 Apr 2022, 8:01 pm

Tiger looked as though be was struggling to walk from the 18th green to the clubhouse

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun 10 Apr 2022, 8:04 pm

Min (son of Max) Woo Lee burning it up out there
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun 10 Apr 2022, 8:12 pm

incontinentia wrote:Min (son of Max) Woo Lee burning it up out there
The commentator just said Min's sister is called Mingey!!! Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun 10 Apr 2022, 8:40 pm

McIlroy is rocketing up the leaderboard, looks like Shotrock's prediction may bear fruit
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun 10 Apr 2022, 9:23 pm

McIlroy seems choc-full of confidence out there, havent seen this Rory for a long time
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 10 Apr 2022, 9:54 pm

incontinentia wrote:
incontinentia wrote:Min (son of Max) Woo Lee burning it up out there
The commentator just said Min's sister is called Mingey!!! Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minjee_Lee

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 11 Apr 2022, 7:36 am

Another boring Masters, just an exhibition now, tossing itself to death with sad, pathetic, contrived "tradition"

super_realist

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 11 Apr 2022, 9:23 am

super_realist wrote:Another boring Masters, just an exhibition now, tossing itself to death with sad, pathetic, contrived "tradition"
At least pube head made it a bit more interesting, what a round and finish from him!
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 11 Apr 2022, 10:15 am

incontinentia wrote:
super_realist wrote:Another boring Masters, just an exhibition now, tossing itself to death with sad, pathetic, contrived "tradition"
At least pube head made it a bit more interesting, what a round and finish from him!

Thankfully him and Morikawa did, or else it'd have been a total dud - never really felt like Smith would get close after the 3rd hole. Scheffler was relentless and clearly a cut above this week, quite the run he's put together the last few months - but didn't make for good viewing.

Hopefully Southern Hills/Brookline/St Andrews provide a more competitive finish at the top of the leaderboard.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 11 Apr 2022, 11:43 am

So is 606v2 officially dead then? Only a handful of posts for the biggest major of the year...
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 11 Apr 2022, 12:31 pm

I, of course, would have been correct had Scheffler not ruined it for Rory.

I also do miss the old days of a more active 606v2. Particularly Kwini and Robopoz's posts.

(BTW, I still stay in touch with Kwin to a degree ... doing well by all accounts.)

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 11 Apr 2022, 1:07 pm

incontinentia wrote:So is 606v2 officially dead then? Only a handful of posts for the biggest major of the year...
Maybe it’s just the golf that has become more boring. Even Mac and super can’t seem to be bothered too much about Tigers umteenth come back.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Mon 11 Apr 2022, 8:57 pm

Scottie Shefflers caddie is 80th on the FedEx money list.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 11 Apr 2022, 9:28 pm

I found the Masters very interesting. Fortunately most of the Tiger genuflecting on Sunday was before the leaders teed off.

Scheffler is pretty vanilla but he is undoubtedly playing outstanding golf. I hope Rory exorcised some Augusta demons (excuse me for some religious metaphors) with the only bogey free round of the week. The holed bunker shots from Rory, and then Collin were amazing to watch.

Not a fan of the changes to #11 and especially #15. No eagles on #15 is not a Masters that I want to see. #11 is too long, especially considering the wind direction on days 1-3. I don't know why they don't have a contingency plan to move the tees up 20-30 yds. There are (member?) tees 50-60 yds closer but that would make the holes too close for the pros.

GPB

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Mon 11 Apr 2022, 10:51 pm

Hey all... just thought I'd drop by and say Hi.

Loved the Scheffler win, but certainly one of the lowest drama Masters in a while. Good to see the crowds back though.

CBS camera work was an "off the charts" improvement. Drone shots around Augusta were amazing. Can't wait to see likewise at St Andrews in July..

robopz

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 12 Apr 2022, 7:27 am

robopz wrote:Hey all... just thought I'd drop by and say Hi.

Loved the Scheffler win, but certainly one of the lowest drama Masters in a while. Good to see the crowds back though.

CBS  camera work was an "off the charts" improvement. Drone shots around Augusta were amazing. Can't wait to see likewise at St Andrews in July..

You can't polish a turd Robo.
St Andrews like most links is very hard to make look photogenic, plus given that the course is obsolete and incapable of producing much drama expect one of the worst Opens in history.

Unless they spring a surprise by playing it in the order and direction it was designed to be played it will be rubbish.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 12 Apr 2022, 9:50 am

robopz wrote:Hey all... just thought I'd drop by and say Hi.

CBS  camera work was an "off the charts" improvement. Drone shots around Augusta were amazing. Can't wait to see likewise at St Andrews in July..

Agree on the camera work Robopz - seems like they've found a way to show the slopes on some of these holes and greens a lot better in recent years. Also particularly enjoy the camera angle from behind/in front of putts that are ground level, so you can see the putt rolling from that level too
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 13 Apr 2022, 1:34 pm

Shotrock wrote:I, of course, would have been correct had Scheffler not ruined it for Rory.

I also do miss the old days of a more active 606v2. Particularly Kwini and Robopoz's posts.

(BTW, I still stay in touch with Kwin to a degree ... doing well by all accounts.)

Good to hear that Kwini is doing well.

It would be good if we could get more people posting on here again but I have no idea how we could do it. I once tried PM'ing all the accounts that used to post here but I don't think it resulted in anyone's return.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 13 Apr 2022, 1:35 pm

Schefflers drop on Saturday was suspect, right?

Honestly very sad to see how immobile Tiger is. Maybe time for him to step away from his playing career.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 13 Apr 2022, 3:12 pm

McLaren wrote:Schefflers drop on Saturday was suspect, right?

Honestly very sad to see how immobile Tiger is. Maybe time for him to step away from his playing career.

Shouldn't have skipped the leg days.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 14 Apr 2022, 11:59 am

Super

It was only his supreme conditioning that saved his leg. If you got those injuries you would have lost your leg.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 14 Apr 2022, 12:04 pm

GPB

On the changes. Didn't mind 11, if it offers more chance of recovery from the right then so be it. The hole is tough enough.

At first I had the same thought about 15 not offering up enough eagle chances, but then I remembered a shot Rory hit on day 3 (one of the cold days anyway). Almost everyone was laying up but Rory smoked a 3 wood and landed it softly on the right side of the green. It was some of the most supreme ball striking you will see. And I sort of wondered if it would be more interesting if players had to pull of a higher difficulty shot to get an eagle chance? Conditions dependent of course. Maybe there is a balance to be found for next year?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 14 Apr 2022, 12:05 pm

McLaren wrote:Super

It was only his supreme conditioning that saved his leg. If you got those injuries you would have lost your leg.

Ha ha, im in better shape than that cripple.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 14 Apr 2022, 12:07 pm

robopz wrote:

Agreed, drone shots of the rumpled turf of TOC will be magnificent. Even troglodytes like super might start to appreciate what the course is all about.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 14 Apr 2022, 12:11 pm

McLaren wrote:
robopz wrote:

Agreed, drone shots of the rumpled turf of TOC will be magnificent. Even troglodytes like super might start to appreciate what the course is all about.

Mac, its a decent course for a club golfer. Its useless for a major.
Its awful for spectating, has too many dreary holes, has no penalty for bad drives, a shank can still end up on the green and its simply too easy and wont create drama.
If I can shoot 66 around there, what is someone who can drive it 75 yards further going to do?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 14 Apr 2022, 12:16 pm

super_realist wrote:

You still into jogging then?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 14 Apr 2022, 12:57 pm

McLaren wrote:
super_realist wrote:

You still into jogging then?

Im not a pain killer addict, my face is not full of botox, my skeleton is not made of glass, not held together by screws and metal, ive got stronger legs and although i cant be certain theres an excellent chance that i have a better conditioned cardiovascular system to his so see no reason why I would have lost a leg, I'd also wager im a better driver given his record.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun 17 Apr 2022, 10:13 am

Shane Lowry barely got any tv coverage yesterday despite being well in contention. This has been a regular theme for a while, and is pretty farcical if you ask me.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/amp/golf/shane-lowry-rbc-heritage-sky-sports-256944
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 17 Apr 2022, 2:17 pm

inco

It is a mugs game to start trying to fathom what goes on with golf coverage. Regular PGAT TV coverage is pretty much as dire as watching sports gets.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun 17 Apr 2022, 4:18 pm

McLaren wrote:inco

It is a mugs game to start trying to fathom what goes on with golf coverage. Regular PGAT TV coverage is pretty much as dire as watching sports gets.
Whoever is making the broadcasting decisions needs a right kick in the arse. Hopefully Lowry will take an early lead today and force them to show his shots. Van Rooyen has been getting decent coverage, perhaps Shane isnt seen as sexy enough Rolling Eyes
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 17 Apr 2022, 8:18 pm

I thought Shane got plenty of coverage yesterday. He was part of the marquee group on ESPN+ streaming coverage (with Spieth and J.T. on Thu-Friday)

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 17 Apr 2022, 10:51 pm

Choking another PGAT tournament away probably not going to help Lowry’s chances of being featured going forward
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 18 Apr 2022, 6:40 am

incontinentia wrote:
McLaren wrote:inco

Whoever is making the broadcasting decisions needs a right kick in the arse. Hopefully Lowry will take an early lead today and force them to show his shots. Van Rooyen has been getting decent coverage, perhaps Shane isnt seen as sexy enough Rolling Eyes

US broadcasting is pathetically insular, flag waving and parochial.
Always has been always will be. If youre foreign, they don't care, cant be bothered pronouncing your name right or getting your country of orogin right amd the commentary is laughable and "state the obvious" stuff.

The European Tour might be a very poor relation these days, but they know how to present an event better, even the Youtube highlights are a massive improvement on the PGA dishwater.

super_realist

LadyPutt and incontinentia like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 18 Apr 2022, 11:00 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Choking another PGAT tournament away probably not going to help Lowry’s chances of being featured going forward

When the mentioned on the Masters coverage that Shanes putting wasn't great, it was news to me. But they weren't wrong. Even with his double bogey on the par 3 he had numerous good chances to get the birdie needed for the play off.

Not sure if the wind was fooling the players on the 18th or Shane in regular play and Spieth and Cantlay in the play off just hit woeful shots? Cantlays the least excusable because he just saw how Jordan's ball was knocked short by the wind.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 18 Apr 2022, 12:10 pm

I played more golf this weekend than I watched, so didn't notice any snub of Shayne.

Great course, but one of my golfing partners said he had to pay close to $600 to play it last year. That's supply and demand for you.

Interesting article on Greg "the ego" Norman and the Saudi League: https://read.nxtbook.com/global_golf_post/global_golf_post/20220418/nuge_col.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=READ%20NOW&utm_campaign=dm-041822

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Mon 18 Apr 2022, 8:58 pm

Shotrock wrote:Interesting article on Greg "the ego" Norman and the Saudi League: https://read.nxtbook.com/global_golf_post/global_golf_post/20220418/nuge_col.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=READ%20NOW&utm_campaign=dm-041822

There's a couple or paragraphs in that article that seem to me, to be the way the LIV group should have done it. Invest in the Asian Tour and work within what the reporter calls the "ecosystem" - i.e. the existing tours. A measured investment in one or two tournaments to begin with, gradually increasing over time. But they obviously didn't see it that way, or as the reporter states, Norman had a different agenda.

I wonder who will turn up at St Albans in June?

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 18 Apr 2022, 11:11 pm

McLaren wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Choking another PGAT tournament away probably not going to help Lowry’s chances of being featured going forward

When the mentioned on the Masters coverage that Shanes putting wasn't great, it was news to me. But they weren't wrong. Even with his double bogey on the par 3 he had numerous good chances to get the birdie needed for the play off.

Not sure if the wind was fooling the players on the 18th or Shane in regular play and Spieth and Cantlay in the play off just hit woeful shots? Cantlays the least excusable because he just saw how Jordan's ball was knocked short by the wind.
Cantlay missing the green was pretty shocking. Rookie mistake. And yes, Big Shane turns out to be a choker.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 18 Apr 2022, 11:13 pm

I'm never wrong wrote:

I wonder who will turn up at St Albans in June?
Phil…

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 18 Apr 2022, 11:19 pm

God or science? Can the resurrected Spieth “nail it” three Easter Sundays in a row at next year’s Masters?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 19 Apr 2022, 7:31 am

pedro wrote:
McLaren wrote:

Cantlay missing the green was pretty shocking. Rookie mistake. And yes, Big Shane turns out to be a choker.

Except when it comes to food. He'd never choke on that

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 19 Apr 2022, 8:55 am

It seems the first player confirmed to want to play in the Saudi event is....Robert Garrigus? (genuinely no idea who that is sorry!)

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2022/04/18/eamon-lynch-first-pga-tour-player-seeks-permission-play-saudi-tournament/
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Tue 19 Apr 2022, 1:02 pm

There is no way Greg Norman plays the long game. He wanted verbal commitments from a number of top players by this time.

Robert Garrigus! Not the kind of marquee name the networks will go chasing for TV rights.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 19 Apr 2022, 9:38 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:It seems the first player confirmed to want to play in the Saudi event is....Robert Garrigus? (genuinely no idea who that is sorry!)

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2022/04/18/eamon-lynch-first-pga-tour-player-seeks-permission-play-saudi-tournament/

Robert Garrigus is probably most famous for admitting and getting suspended for smoking marijuana,

Which makes sense for Saudi because they like people getting stoned. Run

GPB

McLaren, LadyPutt, pedro and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next