The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGATour Running Commentary January 2022

+21
Duty281
JDizzle
superflyweight
robopz
Plunky
pedro
beninho
TM2K
Good Golly I'm Olly
BlueCoverman
super_realist
RDW
Davie
ralphjohn69
LadyPutt
JAS
Shotrock
McLaren
incontinentia
I'm never wrong
GPB
25 posters

Page 15 of 15 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 13, 14, 15

Go down

PGATour Running Commentary January 2022 - Page 15 Empty PGATour Running Commentary January 2022

Post by GPB Sat 01 Jan 2022, 2:32 pm

First topic message reminder :

Happy New Year.  After a nearly a year and half, its time for a new thread.

39 ofthe 40 Players eligible to play Sentry ToC are playing.  Only one missing is Rory McIlroy.

GPB

Back to top Go down

PGATour Running Commentary January 2022 - Page 15 Empty Re: PGATour Running Commentary January 2022

Post by I'm never wrong Sat 25 Mar 2023, 9:20 pm

Anyone know the reason why McIlroy had to hit his second shot from beside the green at the 13th before Schauffele hit his third from where he dropped it after going into the water? Schauffele looked much further away.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

PGATour Running Commentary January 2022 - Page 15 Empty Re: PGATour Running Commentary January 2022

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 26 Mar 2023, 12:31 pm

I'm never wrong wrote:Anyone know the reason why McIlroy had to hit his second shot from beside the green at the 13th before Schauffele hit his third from where he dropped it after going into the water? Schauffele looked much further away.

Yeah that was weird - not sure why!

Was a fantastic game that one though, great back and forth between the two of them, think Xander will be a bit frustrated to have not taken advantage of his birdie putt on 17 and that water ball on 13.

In fact all the quarter finals were good - Scheffler is so relentless, and Cameron Young has been superb all week. New caddie seems to have made an instant difference for him. Kitayama and Day put up good showings though, Day seems to really be getting back to his best...fancy he will be there or thereabouts at Augusta in a few weeks
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Mon 27 Mar 2023, 10:38 am

Golf mate told me the answer. Opponents first ball ended closer to the hole than McIlroy, so it was McIlroys turn next.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 27 Mar 2023, 10:50 am

I guess it makes sense in some ways because the player could elect to play the ball from where it was sitting in the pond. No way this rule has ever been used in that way in club comps though.
McLaren
McLaren

I'm never wrong likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 28 Mar 2023, 12:50 pm

incontinentia wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
incontinentia wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
Rory's drive on 18 yesterday was sensational, for those who didn't see - https://twitter.com/pgatour/status/1639051506979569665?s=46&t=a_jGIcK3VYcofc1g-OhyyA
Rory's good, but Monty is still the greatest ever driver of the ball for me.
??? Not for me, but I will give him credit for keeping it on the short stuff a lot of the time when the ball wasn't as forgiving of poor mechanics as it is now. Don't think Monty comes close to players such as Nicklaus or Norman, for example.

Re. McIlroy's drive on 18 the other day. Saw that and it really was pretty impressive. Swing looked effortless as well.
When you adjust for technology, a prime Monty would probably drive it 300+ in the modern era and be much straighter than McIlroy. Just my 2 cents, I'm sure most won't agree.
No, Monty would not be straighter IMO or consistently 300+. Interesting to discuss given Monty's big deliberate cut, but that fairway would get a lot narrower, effectively, the further up he goes, so not sure I agree about the suggestion he'd be more accurate than a McIlroy hitting it ~350. It's not all tech either - Monty was somewhat lardy and dare I suggest it, unfit. So, no, I'm afraid I don't agree. Boring if everyone agreed though, I'm sure you'd agree...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

incontinentia likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed 05 Apr 2023, 4:31 pm

My favorite rag in these parts is the "New York Times." For those with access or who haven't used up their minimum number of articles, there's a wonderful piece about LIV golf today: The World of LIV Golf.

A fine read. Worth checking out IMO.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 17 Apr 2023, 11:20 pm

The high from this Sunday's final round in Hilton Head ... Fitzpatrick's 179-yard laser beam 9-iron to about a foot. Class stuff.

The low ... Cantlay taking an eon to decide how to play his ball wedged on wood posts. Bring on the shot clock!

Shotrock

LadyPutt and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Tue 18 Apr 2023, 6:41 am

Shotrock wrote:The high from this Sunday's final round in Hilton Head ... Fitzpatrick's 179-yard laser beam 9-iron to about a foot. Class stuff.
I saw the highlights yesterday Shotrock. Fantastic shot. I like the fact that his driver head cover is a replica of the lighthouse. Sky commentary was saying it's his second favourite place and he has been visiting since he was six. Good stuff.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 18 Apr 2023, 10:41 am

Shotrock wrote:The high from this Sunday's final round in Hilton Head ... Fitzpatrick's 179-yard laser beam 9-iron to about a foot. Class stuff.

The low ... Cantlay taking an eon to decide how to play his ball wedged on wood posts. Bring on the shot clock!

I wouldn't say any of them are particularly quick, but Cantlay was taking the mick on Sunday at times - the tour is going to have to do something about it soon surely.

Fitzpatrick was excellent, as was Spieth, the playoff was top quality iron play all round. Fitz seems to have got over that reported neck injury from early season with a top 10 at Augusta and this win...rounding into form to defend his US Open!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 19 May 2023, 1:24 pm

Too bad Kwini does not post here anymore. Oak Hill is in his neck of the woods and I suspect a course he's played a few times. It really looks good, and with wind and rain in the forecast I expect some high scores the next few days. Be curious to see how the LIV boys do going forward ...

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Fri 19 May 2023, 3:57 pm

Talking of high scores, interesting to read that Billy Horschel said that an 18 handicapper would struggle to break 150...

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sat 20 May 2023, 8:19 pm

Anyone else see Rory's outfit today? Grey/brown rain suit that looks like a tracksuit with baseball hat on backwards. Scottie Scheffler exactly the same.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sat 20 May 2023, 8:26 pm

BlueCoverman wrote:Talking of high scores, interesting to read that Billy Horschel said that an 18 handicapper would struggle to break 150...
....and Jordan Spieth said "I don't think there is a win in me answering this question to be honest....." Just asking for an opinion. Worried about the backlash from 18 handicappers all over the world?

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Navarro Sun 21 May 2023, 11:35 pm

Brooks Koepka wins the 2023 US PGA by 2 shots from Viktor Hovland and Scottie Scheffler.
Third US PGA for Koepka, fifth major overall. Maybe as important first major win for a LIV player.
Koepka with 5 majors joins the legends the game.
Losing the Masters must've hurt but Koepka showed everyone he's still got the dog inside him.

Jeff Navarro

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 22 May 2023, 12:06 am

A stone cold non-whining professional who really gets up for the majors. Hard not to admire that.

Shotrock

navyblueshorts, ralphjohn69 and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 22 May 2023, 11:39 am

Shotrock wrote:A stone cold non-whining professional who really gets up for the majors. Hard not to admire that.

Do we think he has a shot at the career slam?
Obviously has gone close at Augusta a couple of times so he fits nicely there, but don't ever remember him truly being in contention for an Open yet (some top 10 finishes there still, and I might be forgetting one!)

Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 22 May 2023, 1:44 pm

I do think he has a shot at the career slam ... but I'm hoping Rory get there as well (first even!).

Too bad Hovland made that error on 16, but even if he didn't it was still Koepka in control.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Mon 22 May 2023, 2:40 pm

Jeff Navarro wrote:Maybe as important first major win for a LIV player.
Can't help but be impressed by the irony of it being the PGA championship.

Lowlandbrit

Jeff Navarro likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Navarro Mon 22 May 2023, 3:07 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
Shotrock wrote:A stone cold non-whining professional who really gets up for the majors. Hard not to admire that.

Do we think he has a shot at the career slam?
Obviously has gone close at Augusta a couple of times so he fits nicely there, but don't ever remember him truly being in contention for an Open yet (some top 10 finishes there still, and I might be forgetting one!)

There's no guarantees in life, but it would be a big surprise if he doesn't win at least one Masters.
As for the Open, if Mickelson can win it, then why can't Koepka?

Jeff Navarro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 15 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 13, 14, 15