The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

F1 2022 season - Michael Masi sacked

+6
GSC
dummy_half
Good Golly I'm Olly
dyrewolfe
No name Bertie
Jeff Navarro
10 posters

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

F1 2022 season - Michael Masi sacked - Page 8 Empty F1 2022 season - Michael Masi sacked

Post by Jeff Navarro Wed 05 Jan 2022, 1:02 pm

First topic message reminder :

Otmar Szafnauer has left Aston Martin, widely expected, after Martin Whitmarsh joined the team.

Last edited by Jeff Navarro on Thu 17 Feb 2022, 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jeff Navarro

Back to top Go down

F1 2022 season - Michael Masi sacked - Page 8 Empty Re: F1 2022 season - Michael Masi sacked

Post by Jeff Navarro Sun 08 May 2022, 10:08 pm

Verstappen wins the Miami GP, he was dominant for much of the race. Only the SC gave LeClerc a sniff.
Sainz a distant third and pretty poor race tbh. Sainz fourth and must be happy nursing that power issue.

Jeff Navarro

Back to top Go down

F1 2022 season - Michael Masi sacked - Page 8 Empty Re: F1 2022 season - Michael Masi sacked

Post by Jeff Navarro Sun 08 May 2022, 10:09 pm

Win #23 for Verstappen, equals his ‘father in law’ Nelson Piquet Sr

Jeff Navarro

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 08 May 2022, 10:13 pm

RB looks a strong package when it finishes a GP, Ferrari looks harder on its tyres at the moment. Barcelona and Monaco should favor them quite a bit, so LeClerc needs a response, after that RB can unleash some of this straight line speed.

Race was a bit of a non event. Russell again right place at the right time to secure a result under the SC. Shame for Bottas, was probably a comfortable p5 without it.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Navarro Sun 08 May 2022, 10:14 pm

This was a terrible track. We’ve lost great venues like Germany and Malaysia just to race in this car park.

Jeff Navarro

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 08 May 2022, 10:15 pm

That said, from what I've seen on social media, this seems to be achieving its primary aim of grabbing a US audience.
GSC
GSC

Jeff Navarro likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 08 May 2022, 10:19 pm

Thought Ferrari could've been a bit more aggressive with LeClerc in particular. New tyres under a SC would've made this interesting, for as close as LeClerc could get in the first sector, punching a hole against the RB straight line speed was gonna be tough.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Navarro Sun 08 May 2022, 10:26 pm

It’s pretty scary to think what Red Bull could do at the upcoming tracks with long straights.
After Barcelona and Monaco - Charles has to win both
There’s Baku, Montreal, Britain, Austria and France. Red Bull could easily win those five...

Jeff Navarro

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 08 May 2022, 10:37 pm

All a bit WWE that podium, needs a bit of work
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 09 May 2022, 11:00 am

Pretty meh race I think, safety car spiced it up a touch thankfully.

Good win for Max, clear Red Bull went for the straight line speed and it worked. Ferrari seem to have a power deficit around these tracks with long straights, but you'd think Barca/Monaco will suit them upcoming.

Another good race by Russell, if not a little fortunate again. Hamilton with a solid showing, again some luck against him in safety car timings.

Aston Martin seemed to have a good weekend...with nothing to show for it. Good quali from Stroll to make Q3, but then both had to start from the pit lane...and when Vettel benefitted from the safety car to be in the points, taken out. But seemed to have a bit more pace this weekend for sure.

Mick Schumacher...yikes. That was an atrocious bit of driving from him to take out Vettel imo, and ruined what was shaping up to be his best weekend yet. Not good

Albon very solid again - great start on his return to the sport so far
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

dyrewolfe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Navarro Mon 09 May 2022, 11:32 am

Mattia Binotto seemed very rattled in the Italian media Q&A. He queried ‘how are Red Bull bringing upgrades every race’. This was despite Red Bull bringing no upgrades to Miami.
Scuderia needs a strong leader not one going crazy after just 5 races.

As Olly mentions, straight line weakness, is proving to be a massive issue. According to sources around Maranello, Scuderia is reaching VMax too quickly. Aside from alterations to gear ratios, there’s not much that can be done.

The Scuderia car is designed for high downforce, we can’t run a low downforce package like Red Bull and be competitive.

Jeff Navarro

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 09 May 2022, 3:17 pm

The tyre wear is arguably a bigger issue, particularly at any GP with a sprint race
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Navarro Mon 09 May 2022, 8:19 pm

Power unit problems for Ferrari. PU1 will only be used on Fridays. Both cars on PU2. The upgraded PU will only be available on PU3 and each subsequent additional PU - I fully envisage at least 2 PU penalties some where down the line.
FIA also allowed Maranello to modify PU for reliability reasons.
Not a good sign at all…

Jeff Navarro

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Tue 10 May 2022, 9:00 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Mick Schumacher...yikes. That was an atrocious bit of driving from him to take out Vettel imo, and ruined what was shaping up to be his best weekend yet. Not good
It's looking clear by now that he just isn't as good as people want him to be. Frankly, at this point of this season you don't really belong on the grid if you have 0 points.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 10 May 2022, 12:26 pm

Mick has been a slow starter in other categories but he clearly has pedigree beyond being a Schumacher based on his results in lower categories.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Tue 10 May 2022, 4:59 pm

Lowlandbrit wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Mick Schumacher...yikes. That was an atrocious bit of driving from him to take out Vettel imo, and ruined what was shaping up to be his best weekend yet. Not good
It's looking clear by now that he just isn't as good as people want him to be. Frankly, at this point of this season you don't really belong on the grid if you have 0 points.

Based on his performances so far I'd say he's about on a par with his uncle Ralf.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Tue 10 May 2022, 5:18 pm

Worst thing about the Miami GP was the build-up. Can't be doing with all that celeb culture crap. Lots of people I've never heard of being asked to give opinions about a sport they clearly don't know much or care about. Just showing up to see and be seen with their peers. Rolling Eyes

Just everything about the place grated on me, from the fake marina to the guy who did the podium interviews.

Whatever happened to interviewing people who are actual fans of the sport?

Anyway, as to the race itself, I'm inclined to agree with Olly. Was shaping up to be a snooze fest until the Safety Car made things interesting. Never been a fan of temporary street circuits...they almost never produce good races. Suppose 1 race is not much to judge on, but it doesn't look promising.

Its clear the Red Bull has the edge over the Ferrari, in terms of straight line speed. Charles did the best he could to make a fight of it, but when Max can just stretch his lead on the straights, the outcome is inevitable.

Fair play to both Max and Charles. For the brief time it was a contest they both drove hard but fair. Perez was unlucky to be hit with technical gremlins, otherwise he would have earned another podium.

Its clear that the boffins at Maranello need to find more speed from somewhere, otherwise Charles' championship lead will evaporate rapidly, given the majority of circuits now features long straights that the Red Bulls will eat up.

Another good race for Mercedes, considering their current problems. Looked as though they had found a magic key on Friday that finally unlocked the car's potential...turned out to be a false dawn. 5 races and counting now. This is already looking like a season of development, rather than being contenders for silverware.

Not impressed with Hamilton's attitude - having a go at his team when asked whether he wanted to pit for new tyres. Normally he's more than happy to decide when he wants to come in.

Happy to see Bottas still doing the business for Alfa and chuffed that Albon picked up some points for Williams.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Navarro Thu 12 May 2022, 2:41 pm

Barcelona’s Circuit de Catalunya will homologate the track layout without the final chicane in time for 2023. Additional safety measures will be added on the outside of the sweeping turn onto the straight.

Jeff Navarro

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 12 May 2022, 2:44 pm

There's already a load of gravel isn't there
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Navarro Thu 12 May 2022, 3:54 pm

GSC wrote:There's already a load of gravel isn't there
I think they want to improve the tecpro barriers.
IIRC there was a motorcycle fatality at the corner a few years ago.

Jeff Navarro

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Navarro Mon 16 May 2022, 4:23 pm

FIA President Mohammed bin Sulayem says Michael Masi ‘reintegration’ is top of his list.
Gonna be a meltdown at Mercedes if the Australian returns.

Jeff Navarro

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Navarro Tue 17 May 2022, 12:34 pm

Honda has announced they are the title sponsor for the 2022 Japanese GP - they own Suzuka, so very much keeping themselves in the loop.

Jeff Navarro

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Navarro Wed 18 May 2022, 1:47 pm

Russian GP will not be replaced. Calendar reverts to 22 races.

Jeff Navarro

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Thu 19 May 2022, 1:12 pm

GSC wrote:That said, from what I've seen on social media, this seems to be achieving its primary aim of grabbing a US audience.

Bleh. F1 managed well enough for 70 years with little to no interest from the US.

But I guess with Liberty being an American company, they feel duty bound to make it a big thing in their home country.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Thu 19 May 2022, 1:20 pm

Jeff Navarro wrote:FIA President Mohammed bin Sulayem says Michael Masi ‘reintegration’ is top of his list.
Gonna be a meltdown at Mercedes if the Australian returns.

Depends on his role. As long as he gets nowhere near the Race Director's position or has anything to do with making decisions during races, I'm sure most folks won't mind. Wink

Jeff Navarro wrote:
Russian GP will not be replaced. Calendar reverts to 22 races.

No bad thing IMO - particularly during a season where new regs are being bedded in. But I'm sure they'll be looking to push it back up to 23/24 over the coming seasons...
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 19 May 2022, 2:04 pm

dyrewolfe wrote:
GSC wrote:That said, from what I've seen on social media, this seems to be achieving its primary aim of grabbing a US audience.

Bleh. F1 managed well enough for 70 years with little to no interest from the US.

But I guess with Liberty being an American company, they feel duty bound to make it a big thing in their home country.

Not sure I can get behind that sentiment. So F1 should never try to appeal to new markets or grow the sport?

The Miami GP wasn't nearly as bad as the Monaco GP will probably be.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Navarro Thu 19 May 2022, 6:10 pm

https://i.servimg.com/u/f64/20/21/32/89/5f8f8d10.jpg

Aston Martin’s copy and paste crew are at it again.
Introducing Aston Martin Red Bull Racing

Jeff Navarro

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 20 May 2022, 2:04 pm

Ferrari setting the pace in FP1, both 2-3 tenths ahead of Max in P3. Mercedes claim the porpoising is improved with upgrades but we'll see later if that translates to better pace
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Navarro Fri 20 May 2022, 9:25 pm

For the first time in Circuit de Catalunya’s history as an F1 venue, it’s a total sellout. The organisers say all 330,000 tickets are taken. Impressive effort.

Jeff Navarro

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Navarro Fri 20 May 2022, 9:34 pm

Red Bull are gunning for Dan Fallows, their former head of aerodynamics. Fallows is now the technical director of Aston Martin.
This copy cat car thing is going to get spicy.

Jeff Navarro

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sat 21 May 2022, 12:29 pm

GSC wrote:
dyrewolfe wrote:

Not sure I can get behind that sentiment. So F1 should never try to appeal to new markets or grow the sport?

The Miami GP wasn't nearly as bad as the Monaco GP will probably be.

That was Bernie Ecclestone's ethos and look where it got us...races in far-flung corners of the world where no-one cared and in some instances, people were bussed in under government orders, so the stands wouldn't be empty.

I would agree Monaco is even worse as a racing spectacle. I genuinely wouldn't care if it was dropped from the calendar...but it won't because of all the rich folks who take time out from their holidays / business trips to watch.

But the US is THE worst country in the world for showbiz / celebrity crap that has nothing to do with the sport. Makes it worse that Sky seemingly laps it up.

If they go ahead with the planned Las Vegas race its quite possible I won't watch it at all.

COTAS is only tolerable because its a proper circuit that can produce interesting races.

I'll admit it does appear Americans are starting to warm to F1, I just can't stand their inexplicable need for gimmicks and the amount of air time that gets devoted to people I've never heard of, who only seem to have the barest awareness of the sport and prefer to talk about themselves. I also don't like the idea of more street circuits, given how few of them produce good races.

Last edited by dyrewolfe on Sat 21 May 2022, 12:42 pm; edited 3 times in total
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sat 21 May 2022, 12:35 pm

Jeff Navarro wrote:For the first time in Circuit de Catalunya’s history as an F1 venue, it’s a total sellout. The organisers say all 330,000 tickets are taken. Impressive effort.

Lets hope it produces a spectacle to match. Be interesting to see if the re-design makes for better racing.

I see Red Bull are crying about another team's car again...yawn. I wouldn't mind but its not like Aston Martin are in danger of challenging them. Rolling Eyes

Given that F1 is such an incestuous sport, with personnel moving between teams on a fairly regular basis, its inevitable that some innovations are going to end up on more than one car.

If I were RB I wouldn't worry too much. Mercedes gave them a title-winning car and they managed to make it progressively worse over the following season. Laugh
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Navarro Sat 21 May 2022, 12:36 pm

The mayor of New York has sent a proposal to Liberty media for an NYC street race...
Just what be need...
Indycar 2.0

Jeff Navarro

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sat 21 May 2022, 12:46 pm

Jeff Navarro wrote:The mayor of New York has sent a proposal to Liberty media for an NYC street race...
Just what be need...
Indycar 2.0

F1 2022 season - Michael Masi sacked - Page 8 Ardcollegeno000%21-god%21-no-god
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Navarro Sat 21 May 2022, 3:55 pm

Charles feeling the pressure from Verstappen in recent races. Spins in Q3 and puts himself on the back foot.

Jeff Navarro

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Navarro Sat 21 May 2022, 4:02 pm

Charles pulls it out when it counts magnificent pole position.
LeClerc
Verstappen
Sainz
Russell
Perez
Hamilton
Bottas
Magnussen
Ricciardo
Schumacher

Jeff Navarro

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 21 May 2022, 4:10 pm

Charles avoids disaster in the end. Still, the race Sims suggest RB may have a significant race pace advantage so the pattern tomorrow may follow recent races.

Ferrari will be disappointed Sainz couldnt pip Max I'd imagine.

Mercedes are...closer? Still Russell was nearly 7 tenths off pole, so might be overstated
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Sat 21 May 2022, 4:20 pm

Engine supplier:
1) Ferrari
2) Honda
3) Ferrari
4) Mercedes
5) Honda
6) Mercedes
7) Ferrari
8) Ferrari
9) Mercedes
10) Ferrari

Leclerc pulled it out of the bag when the pressure was at its highest.
Mercedes have made improvements suggesting they can begin to challenge the second cars of Ferrari and Red Bull, but Leclerc and Verstappen still seem way ahead.
Bottas and K-Mag continue to shine.
Congratulations to Schumacher for making it to Q3 for the first time in his F1 career.

It is amazing if it was not for world events that Mazepin would still be with Haas and Haas would have a Schumacher - Mazepin line up.

No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Navarro Sat 21 May 2022, 6:35 pm

I really think this Mercedes ‘comeback’ is being massively overhyped. Russell qualifying 0.75 behind LeClerc is a massive margin.
Yes the cured the bouncing but in these favourable conditions, absolutely roasting hot, yet they are leagues away.

Jeff Navarro

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 21 May 2022, 7:57 pm

See what the race pace shows. Tyre wear should be awful with the hards being too slow to run which hits Ferrari hardest of the top teams
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Navarro Sun 22 May 2022, 10:46 am

Interesting strategy could develop today.
The top 6 all have new mediums and new hards, but LeClerc also has a set of brand new softs

If there’s a late SC or VSC LeClerc will have the advantage

Jeff Navarro

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Navarro Sun 22 May 2022, 2:00 pm

Tactical engine change for Alonso - already on to his 4th

Jeff Navarro

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 22 May 2022, 2:07 pm

Hamilton the only one to start on medium gets wiped out with a puncture and on softs to start lap 2.

How his season has gone
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 22 May 2022, 2:09 pm

Sainz went into anti stall off the start
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 22 May 2022, 2:13 pm

And now into the gravel
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Navarro Sun 22 May 2022, 2:15 pm

Sainz is out of his depth here

Alonso has offered to drive that Ferrari for free in 2023

Jeff Navarro

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 22 May 2022, 2:18 pm

Max off as well it's all happening
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Navarro Sun 22 May 2022, 2:20 pm

Russell waving in the braking zone.

Jeff Navarro

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 22 May 2022, 2:44 pm

LeClercs engine blows
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 22 May 2022, 2:46 pm

Russell leads but the RBs are going to split strategies behind him
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeff Navarro Sun 22 May 2022, 2:46 pm

Oh F off

Jeff Navarro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next