The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rest of the World

+15
Gooseberry
JDizzle
VTR
dummy_half
Pal Joey
king_carlos
sirfredperry
alfie
Good Golly I'm Olly
Old Man
Soul Requiem
Duty281
msp83
KP_fan
kingraf
19 posters

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Rest of the World - Page 10 Empty Rest of the World

Post by kingraf Tue 04 Jan 2022, 1:30 pm

First topic message reminder :

Big partnership in the context of the game. If they can add another 20-odd, the lead becomes noteworthy in a low scoring slug fest. As is Jansen showing he may well become a #7, while Keshav is playing with the poise of a man who has 3 Test 50s. Very organised. He probably has done himself a disservice, especially in a South African side both devoid of batsmen and obsessed with pace, in not working a little harder on his batting to be a #7.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Rest of the World - Page 10 Empty Re: Rest of the World

Post by alfie Sat 05 Mar 2022, 8:14 am

Another cracking match in the Women's WC. Brave chasing by England after Australia made 310 (Haynes a run a ball 130 ) ; but they're falling just short with an unlikely 16 needed off the last over...and just lost Brunt so with a new batter on strike it ain't going to happen...

Great chase though. Sciver ends up not out 109 off 85 balls but Australia win by 12 runs.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 05 Mar 2022, 8:16 am

And India call it off at 574/8 ...stopping Jadeja from going for Lara's record Smile

Quite a knock from him ! 175 off 228 balls...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Sat 05 Mar 2022, 8:19 am

Oh right was expecting them to let him keep going with runs flowing still. But a hugely commanding position, and SL heads seem to have dropped with some increasingly ragged bowling and poor fielding.

Every chance of an innings and victory ...quite a change from when it looked like SL were in with a sniff at 4 down.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 05 Mar 2022, 8:21 am

I'd have let Jadeja go for 200! Seems a bit harsh to leave him hanging on 175*...not as if India are pushed for time.

Aussies finally got Imam, shortly after a terrible review v Azhar Ali. 322/2.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 05 Mar 2022, 11:37 am

Pakistan have declared at 476/4. I'm quite surprised, I thought they were ready to take it into day three, and they weren't exactly giving it a thrash in the final few overs. I think taking the score up to 600 and declaring midway through the morning on day three would have given them a better chance of the win.

Pitch has looked quite benign and slow, but how often do we see the team that's been out in the field for so long crumble quite easily when it's their turn to bat? Particularly as Australia have had little preparation.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 05 Mar 2022, 12:06 pm

And Pakistan only get one over before bad light curtails things. Very poor tactics, but they're still well on top thanks to the big centuries of Ali and Imam. Australia's three main seamers bowled a combined 78 overs, as Green and Labschagne weren't able to offer control and ease their burden. Lyon's fingers must be sore after 52 overs for 1/161.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 05 Mar 2022, 12:20 pm

Duty281 wrote:Pakistan have declared at 476/4. I'm quite surprised, I thought they were ready to take it into day three, and they weren't exactly giving it a thrash in the final few overs. I think taking the score up to 600 and declaring midway through the morning on day three would have given them a better chance of the win.

Pitch has looked quite benign and slow, but how often do we see the team that's been out in the field for so long crumble quite easily when it's their turn to bat? Particularly as Australia have had little preparation.

Yep agree totally bizarre tactics from Pakistan - they never truly accelerated and then haven’t made a 1st innings total which means they won’t have to bat again. Surely the draw is the huge favourite now
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 05 Mar 2022, 12:57 pm

I'd still make Pakistan favourites, even if they have ceded their advantage a little. Even if Australia were to bat all through tomorrow they'd still be at least 150 behind, and these sub-continent pitches can deteriorate quickly.

But Pakistan have made a right mess of this declaration, and they've left the door open a little for an Australian win. If Australia could bat five/six sessions, get close to/equal/slightly ahead of Pakistan's score, then the Pakistanis would be batting on day five to save the test. It could be like Adelaide 2006 and that would be poetic.

If Pakistan had scored 600, which they were well on course to do, they've had shut the door on a Australian win and kept open a greater possibility of enforcing the follow-on.

About 65%-34%-1% for me (Pakistan win-draw-Australian win).

No such doubts for India who are cruising home v Sri Lanka, though Jadeja may never get another chance of a double ton in tests.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Sat 05 Mar 2022, 2:42 pm

Two things for Australia ...

Draw is a possibility but Im in agreement with Duty that Pakistan are gambling on the pitch falling apart.

They arent as bad as Sri Lanka

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 05 Mar 2022, 6:25 pm

So Ravindra Jadeja managed to get that 2nd test ton at last. He has been the most improved test batter in the last 4 years really. A very well constructed innings it was. Took his time early on, didn't try to match Pant when he was going great guns, kept calm, and at the start of the new day again, took his time to settle back, and in the company of the number 10, went on the attack with great effect. Should have let him go for that double ton though...
Sri Lanka not resisting much with the bat, though 2 of their most promising youngsters are to continue the fight tomorrow.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 05 Mar 2022, 6:29 pm

Surprising declaration from Pakistan in the other game, just couldn't understand the approach. Could have batted Australia out of the game completely, now they have kept the door shut but unlocked and unlatched. Can Smith/Labuschagne/Warner push it open to earn a draw? Seems not easy, Warner doesn't have a great record in spinning conditions, Labuschagne is rather untested in these conditions. Khawaja used to be a disaster when the ball actually spins. Lets see whether they can still capitalize on a still flat track...

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 06 Mar 2022, 12:12 am

Was a bit surprised by the declaration timing : having been late to accelerate , it appeared Pakistan were content to bat into day three and set 600. Presumably they hoped to grab wickets by their pace bowlers in the last hour , under lights , with the Aussie bats exhausted from efforts in the field - but the light fading a bit quicker than they expected ended up robbing them of that chance so they've basically thrown away 100 runs for no gain...
You might say they were a little unfortunate not to get a few overs in at Australia ; but it was not that difficult to predict an early end (or at least a prohibition on using their pace men , as actually happened) might be on the cards. Really should have got a move on earlier.

Just the same , they are still in a strong position. Nearly 300 needed to avoid a follow on - not that I think that is really the plan. They'll want to get themselves back in with a substantial lead , have a quick thrash and get at Australia again on the last day when the pitch is really falling apart. Plan A for this part of the world.

Fancy the draw , myself. Wouldn't be surprised to see Australia bat long and big enough to kill the game - but this is all still just guessing. Should have a far clearer idea by end of day three.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Sun 06 Mar 2022, 6:51 am

Their gambles not payed off at all. Indias decision to just get on with it however....now just a case of an innings and how muc.

5 wickets for Jadeja...not a bad couple of days work! His 175 more than the first 12 Sri Lankans scored combined.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 06 Mar 2022, 6:51 am

Khawaja is off to a blistering start, 70 off 92 balls, as he looks to continue his golden summer. Australia 123-0 This pitch is straight out of the year 2004. Cricket is so much better when every ball could be the catalyst for a collapse
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 06 Mar 2022, 9:37 am

This pitch is so flat Virat Kohli might be able to score a century on it
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Sun 06 Mar 2022, 9:44 am

Great thing about being an England supporter is even on that pitch every ball would be kingraf

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Sun 06 Mar 2022, 11:29 am

Well deems like it wasn't just the captain who wanted to stop Jadeja having ridiculous landmarks in this game ...just missed out on 10 wickets too.

One of the most one sided tests I can remember. Ridiculous and as bad for the standing of test cricket as the Pakistan pitch.

Sri Lanka just getting worse and worse it seems.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sun 06 Mar 2022, 12:47 pm

Thumping win by India.

Like others above, I was surprised that Pakistan didn't aim for 600. As it is, Australia already look to have secured a draw and could get a first-innings lead.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 06 Mar 2022, 1:18 pm

Haven't seen much of today's play, but the scorecard seems to have highlighted Pakistan's utter folly. We may not see a worst test captaincy decision all year!

Pakistan can still triumph. A new ball in seven overs, only two wickets away from bringing Green to the middle and the potential of a quick collapse. Australia can still triumph. Bat all day tomorrow and Pakistan will be penned in and have to save the test on day five. But six wickets in three days highlights the prevailing direction.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 06 Mar 2022, 4:05 pm

Duty281 wrote:Haven't seen much of today's play, but the scorecard seems to have highlighted Pakistan's utter folly. We may not see a worst test captaincy decision all year!

Pakistan can still triumph. A new ball in seven overs, only two wickets away from bringing Green to the middle and the potential of a quick collapse. Australia can still triumph. Bat all day tomorrow and Pakistan will be penned in and have to save the test on day five. But six wickets in three days highlights the prevailing direction.

Six wickets in three days, one being a run out and one being thrown away by Azhar!

Shambles of a pitch
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Sun 06 Mar 2022, 5:21 pm

Been noted that Jadeja outscored all 11 Sri Lankan players combined twice over, not out. Batting 7.

His 9 wickets came at 87, almost exactly half the runs he scored. Not out.

Anyone know if he got Man of the Match? Whistle

Really does seem to epitomise the shift in attitudes in Indian cricket over the past couple of decades. He was a decent enough player but never stood still, got good enough to be selected on his bowling alone and then started to get better and better with the bat. Even turns up in the field. Now up there as one of the best all round records for current test players. Never thought good was good enough, could have sulked when bumped form the side a few times but came back stronger. Its an attitude England desperately need back.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 06 Mar 2022, 7:15 pm

An excellent all-round show from Ravindra Jadeja provided India with a 3 day innings win. Ravichandran Ashwin went pass Kapil Dev in the list of India's top test wicket-takers, and now placed second only to Anil Kumble.
Absolutely pathetic from Sri Lanka. There is potential in Nisanka and Ashilanka. Karunaratne is one of their better batters. However, Mathews is almost done, Dhananjaya de Silva hasn't really cracked on, Dikwella is far too inconsistent, and there is not much else... They don't have a spinner in the Herath league, and the quicks are pedestrian. Wonder why Wanindu Hasaranga doesn't play enough tests. His bowling in his short test career, hasn't really got going, but they should really give him a proper go. Can be better than some of their top-order bats, and can be very fine with the ball if he gets going.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 06 Mar 2022, 7:23 pm

As for the Pakistan game, the declaration decision proving even more wrong than it did at the time of it as wKhawaja, Warner and Labuschagne, all punished the Pak bowlers. Australia scored at a much faster clip than Pakistan managed as well. And Labuschagne and Smith aren't done yet either. If not for a dramatic collapse tomorrow morning, Australia has very nearly assured themselves at the very least a draw here.
Pakistan's hope is the 2nd new ball. Shaheen Shah afridi bowled pretty well without success, but if he can get a couple with the 2nd new ball, that could bring his side back into the game.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Mon 07 Mar 2022, 12:35 pm

Wickets showering down today in Pakistan, 4 already. Pakistan might even get to bat a second time in the match. Exhilarating *cough*

Australia could still beat the record of 524/9 for the highest innings total without a century if the tail wags

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Mon 07 Mar 2022, 12:45 pm

I'd declare on 453 if I was Cummins. 23 runs short of 476 in honour of Warnie. Then put the ball back in Pakistan's court. Only 4 overs left in the day anyway... maybe get the 453 runs and then retire for the night and declare first thing in the morning.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 07 Mar 2022, 2:40 pm

Hopefully the pitches will be livelier in Karachi and Lahore.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Mon 07 Mar 2022, 6:30 pm

This pitch might suddenly spring into life on day 5. But what a real disgrace, an absolute pathetic road.
Give me a green top or a spinning track that might crumble by day 3 to this obnoxious strip any and every day, week and month of the year!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 07 Mar 2022, 7:36 pm

msp83 wrote:This pitch might suddenly spring into life on day 5. But what a real disgrace, an absolute pathetic road.
Give me a green top or a spinning track that might crumble by day 3 to this obnoxious strip any and every day, week and month of the year!.

Hi msp - can't disagree with that although do feel that Pakistan left about 80 runs out there given the time and circumstances in which they batted. That would have increased the demands upon Australia and, whilst still not likely, might just have made a difference.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 08 Mar 2022, 1:39 am

Suppose we could see a miraculous last day of dramatic collapse- but I don’t think it is particularly likely 🙂

To be honest I’ve had this one down as Probable Bore Draw since about tea on day one - even before all the lost overs.

Hopefully more “interesting “ pitches for the next matches…

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 08 Mar 2022, 9:29 am

msp83 wrote:This pitch might suddenly spring into life on day 5. But what a real disgrace, an absolute pathetic road.

I definitely agree msp - at least those pitches provide periods of excitement in the game, albeit fleeting. This has been an essentially pointless exercise for five days purely because of the pitch, I can't imagine there are many watching on the TV the last day or two!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue 08 Mar 2022, 9:33 am

It's a geat event to see a Top test side travel to Pak

&Pak rolled out a pitch from 1980s...when in subcontinent draw was a 50% probability scenario
The feather beds of Faislabad were world famous
Will Pak make a declaration and give them 220 to chase in 33 overs?

Pitches will get more sporty in next games....but it's nostalgic to go back to 1980s and occasionally let bowlers sweat it out
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Tue 08 Mar 2022, 9:45 am

msp83 wrote:An excellent all-round show from Ravindra Jadeja provided India with a 3 day innings win. Ravichandran Ashwin went pass Kapil Dev in the list of India's top test wicket-takers, and now placed second only to Anil Kumble.
Absolutely pathetic from Sri Lanka. There is potential in Nisanka and Ashilanka. Karunaratne is one of their better batters. However, Mathews is almost done, Dhananjaya de Silva hasn't really cracked on, Dikwella is far too inconsistent, and there is not much else... They don't have a spinner in the Herath league, and the quicks are pedestrian. Wonder why Wanindu Hasaranga doesn't play enough tests. His bowling in his short test career, hasn't really got going, but they should really give him a proper go. Can be better than some of their top-order bats, and can be very fine with the ball if he gets going.

You see good captaincy allows closing games & putting off oppositions a lot easier...something that we struggled both at home vs NZ and in SA.
The takeaways......
Jadeja becomes undoubted first choice spinner cum 5th bowling allrounder in overseas condtions
and Jadeja's Back-up aught to be Washington.......Ashwin should focus on home tests only...unless the overseas pitch warrants 2 spinners.

Pujara & Rahane have been put away for good and the pattern of Kohli making 40s and lowly 50s on his good days continues
He too will be put away sooner than later.

Given that Rahul will be back to Open...Agarwal, Vihari, Shreyas, Gill will fight for 3 middle order slots with 2 of them capable of being back up openers also

Chahar should be included in overseas squads as back-up to Shardul for the 4th seamer slot and both played occasionally in home games also.

One the show of his skills vs WI....Prasidh Krsihna will replace Ishant as one of the top-5 pace bowlers
Bumrah, Shami, Siraj and Yadav being the other 4 and probably sneak in ahead of Yadav in the Peking order
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 08 Mar 2022, 11:20 am

I'm sure the West Indies/England will make up for the lack of wickets!

Lyon's bowled 78 overs in this game, though the Aussie seamers weren't exerted too much in the second innings. Second test starts on Saturday. It can't be any worse!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Tue 08 Mar 2022, 2:25 pm

Duty281 wrote:I'm sure the West Indies/England will make up for the lack of wickets!

Lyon's bowled 78 overs in this game, though the Aussie seamers weren't exerted too much in the second innings. Second test starts on Saturday. It can't be any worse!

Couldve been more, the part timers bowled a lot in that second innings...even he was given a bit of a rest.

Must be the most runs Aus ever shipped for just 4 wickets in a test?

Agar playing T2 is the most obvious pick ever

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 09 Mar 2022, 7:25 am

Gooseberry wrote:
Duty281 wrote:I'm sure the West Indies/England will make up for the lack of wickets!

Couldve been more, the part timers bowled a lot in that second innings...even he was given a bit of a rest.

Must be the most runs Aus ever shipped for just 4 wickets in a test?

Agar playing T2 is the most obvious pick ever

From what I am hearing , more likely to be Swepson...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 12 Mar 2022, 10:42 am

Got a real contrast of two different pitches in test matches today.

The second test between Pakistan and Australia has all the beginnings of another lifeless track, with Australia cruising to 199/2.

The other, India and Sri Lanka, is already approaching unplayable for the batsmen, with lots of sharp turn and shooting low bounce. India 93/4 after one session.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Sat 12 Mar 2022, 11:48 am

India 176/6 as I type, so probably already got more than Sri Lanka will manage in their two innings combined.

I saw something on the Pakistan flat decks that said as they had a few bowlers out and were worried about what Cummins and co could do to their new opening pair, they are preparing roads. Seems self defeating to essentially set out with the aim of a 0-0 series result

VTR

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 12 Mar 2022, 12:36 pm

VTR wrote:India 176/6 as I type, so probably already got more than Sri Lanka will manage in their two innings combined.

I saw something on the Pakistan flat decks that said as they had a few bowlers out and were worried about what Cummins and co could do to their new opening pair, they are preparing roads. Seems self defeating to essentially set out with the aim of a 0-0 series result

Certainly should be as regards the public paying to watch at the ground or on screen.

guildfordbat

Pal Joey and VTR like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 13 Mar 2022, 10:39 am

The India-Lanka test rolling along at some pace. Sri Lanka lost their remaining 4 for not much, getting bowled out for 109. Jasprit Bumrah picked up his first home fifor. Mayank and the skipper then got off to a decent start, but Mayank yet again failed to build on it as he was taken out by Lasith Embuldeniya. India go to tea at 61-1, the lead is above 200 and going by day 1, is already impressive. But the track in the Indian 2nd innings, despite always keeping the bowlers interested, hasn't been impossible by any means. So India should stay positive and bat on well...

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 13 Mar 2022, 12:29 pm

Pant has cracked 50 off 28 deliveries. Needs another 50 off 24 balls (if he survives this review) to break the record.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 13 Mar 2022, 12:31 pm

Gone a ball later.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sun 13 Mar 2022, 12:32 pm

That's the fastest Test 50 for India but that's as far as it goes for Pant. He's out.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 13 Mar 2022, 2:30 pm

India getting that lead to the 400 region, currently 391 with 4 wickets remaining. Shreyas Iyer playing yet another mature hand, unbeaten on 53.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 13 Mar 2022, 3:00 pm

What do India really achieve playing their home matches? Literally so one sided, must get boring for their players.

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 13 Mar 2022, 4:10 pm

Jeff Navarro wrote:What do India really achieve playing their home matches? Literally so one sided, must get boring for their players.
Sides like New Zealand and Australia have given India a good run for money in home tests. You need quality batters who can play spin to stay in the game in these parts of the world. Would be great if you have 1 or 2 all-condition quicks in your lineups. South Africa and England before 2015 were also tough to dispense with.
Sri Lanka currently do not have the batting, spin bowling or quick bowling to consistently fight it out here... After their golden generation of Murali, Vas, Herath, Sanga, Mahela, and prior to that Aravinda, Jayasuriya and Arjuna, after they were gone, they just haven't produced that good cricketers. Karunaratne is OK, and Mathews, though now a spend force, was class. Kusal Mendis still has age on his side, but he hasn't lived up to his potential as yet. Pathum Nissanka and Charith Asalanka have promise, but are still early in their careers. Can't understand why they don't consistently play Wanindu Hasaranga in tests. Yes he hasn't had the same impact with the ball in his short test career as much as he has had in limited overs. But He is one of those cricketers with that something extra about him, and even in his limited test opportunities, he showed with the bat. Not quite led spinner level, but should be picked as an all-rounder in all conditions, and be given the longest possible rope.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 13 Mar 2022, 4:17 pm

As for the pitch for this game, give me something like this any day, than those obnoxious roads. And I think its Sri Lanka's utter ineptitude with the bat, coupled with a fine showing from Bumrah and Shami that made it look tougher than it really is. Shreyas Iyer batted with great command in both innings for India. Rohit looked in great touch in the 2nd innings, before he did a Rohit, holding out in the deep! Even Mathews did a good job to stay in before being undone by a fine bit of bowling by Bumrah. And of course, there was Rishabh Pant, but in his case, he kind of takes the pitch out of it, particularly in these conditions. The one batter who was really undone by the pitch was Kohli. Probably he could have tried to go forward rather than deep in the crease on both occasions, but it was the pitch really that undid him.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 13 Mar 2022, 4:59 pm

Looks like Australia have learnt from Pakistan's mistake - the Aussies are batting into day three, 505/8 after 180 overs.

Was looking forward to that series, but it's turned into something even duller than the 0-0 between NZ and England in 2013, which was ruined by rain and Steven Finn making the dullest 50 in cricket history.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Sun 13 Mar 2022, 6:20 pm

I thought England saving one of the Tests was quite exciting in that series, with Monty's dive to avoid a runout making up for the general boredom. Can't knock The Watford Wall for that innings either!

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Sun 13 Mar 2022, 7:31 pm

Also, we don't know where the series is heading, even if we have our well founded fears. Not that it could happen nowadays, but England's famous win in the dark came after 14 days of utter dirge

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 14 Mar 2022, 9:43 am

Pakistan collapsing this morning. Who would be a Pakistan supporter - brilliant one day, hopeless the next.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next