The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

6 Nations Round 4 - England v Ireland

+49
Big
Pete330v2
carpet baboon
protea438
nathan
profitius
Northgrill
Old Man
LeinsterFan4life
westisbest
Engine#4
mid_gen
Soul Requiem
RDW
EnglishReign
tigertattie
theslosty
miltonkeynesengland
Margin_Walker
nlpnlp
Rugby Fan
Pot Hale
cb
dummy_half
Cumbrian
king_carlos
Mr Bounce
Heaf
formerly known as Sam
hugehandoff
RiscaGame
Unclear
Barney McGrew did it
Oakdene
mountain man
yappysnap
Poorfour
majesticimperialman
Collapse2005
Recwatcher16
lostinwales
BamBam
WELL-PAST-IT
doctor_grey
mikey_dragon
Gooseberry
Geordie
No 7&1/2
Sgt_Pooly
53 posters

Page 2 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 16  Next

Go down

6 Nations Round 4 - England v Ireland - Page 2 Empty 6 Nations Round 4 - England v Ireland

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 28 Feb 2022, 4:34 am

First topic message reminder :

England v Ireland

Twickers, London
Saturday 12th March 2022
Kick Off - 1645hrs

England team

Ireland team

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

6 Nations Round 4 - England v Ireland - Page 2 Empty Re: 6 Nations Round 4 - England v Ireland

Post by Collapse2005 Tue 01 Mar 2022, 5:21 pm

Are France really playing by far the best rugby mountain man? Ireland have scored more tries than them and outscored them 3 tries to one in their head to head. They are certainly playing the best rugby but maybe not by far.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

6 Nations Round 4 - England v Ireland - Page 2 Empty Re: 6 Nations Round 4 - England v Ireland

Post by majesticimperialman Tue 01 Mar 2022, 5:32 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:The touchline ref and ref got those calls right, it was quite clear. Too bad they missed Itoje's push for the try. #FakeTry

mikey, i think it was Eddie Jones who was ask after one England game, i cannot remember who they was playing when 2/3 penalties went against England was asked.

What did you think about those  2/3 penalties that went against England, his reply was look we don't get involved in those decisions. it was the refs call and we have to live with it.
Elias overthrew the ball at the line out, Dombrandt caught it scored a try.
The REFEREE did not see any thing wrong in the line out. The TMO Did not Notice any thing wrong try stands. Except it and move on.

And simply except the fact Wales lost to a better team on the day.
That team was ENGLAND. Hug thumbsup

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 01 Mar 2022, 5:52 pm

Mikey. Accept for those issues do you except the result?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Unclear Tue 01 Mar 2022, 6:15 pm

Getting back to England v Ireland ...

England being at home will be a great advantage for them, as it always is in the 6N.  But Ireland seem more settled (at least the small number of Ireland supporters on here aren't calling for wholesale changes from 11 - 14) and with Sexton starting more confident.  The English pack (and particularly Itoje unsurprisingly) always cause Ireland problems so I think the game will be close, but still think it will be an Ireland win.

Having said that, if Tuilagi plays, who knows?  

The only guaranteed England win is in the battle of the hair styles, Porter and Lowe just don't compete with new messiah (assuming Jimbopip didn't copyright that for Mr Bennett).

Unclear

lostinwales likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Tue 01 Mar 2022, 7:13 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:Are France really playing by far the best rugby mountain man? Ireland have scored more tries than them and outscored them 3 tries to one in their head to head. They are certainly playing the best rugby but maybe not by far.

I think most people would say France have the best highlights reel, and against Scotland did a few simply outrageous things. But if you were a defensive coach you would be looking at quite a different picture. Ireland did push them close, so yeah the gap is not huge. Ireland Wales and England Wales followed a pretty similar pattern, ending far closer than the early part of the game would've suggested. But overall Ireland definitely a step up on England so far, and if they are short key players again then its hard to see where England get another gear from.

Home advantage I guess evens it out, so should be a close game.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 01 Mar 2022, 7:30 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Mikey. Accept for those issues do you except the result?

Accept? Yes, it was a fair result.

mikey_dragon

thebandwagonsociety likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Wed 02 Mar 2022, 3:12 am

lostinwales wrote:
Oakdene wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:
Oakdene wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:Wales did well against Ireland in the scrum I thought and against England....the ref never really had a clue what was going on.

Going from that, you'd expect it to be a pretty tight affair.

The less said about the Welsh lineout perhaps the better, Ireland will be much stronger here.

See you say that but according to the stats both sides lost 2 line outs each.

I don't think stats are required to see that Wales struggled in the lineout, it was quite clear. Dombrandt may back me up here....

Ah yes, when England closed the line in the lineout & bumped our jumper to prevent him being lifted...silly me....

They were just trying to help the officials by straightening the lineout.

Haha. This may be true, but the still photo seems to suggest the hooker was in line with the English jumpers anyway. Considering a few of our throwers like to step to our side anyway, it does further highlight the need for referees to properly manage the gaps.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 02 Mar 2022, 10:44 am

I am a firm believer that anything goes as long as the actions of the players are not aimed at injuring their opponents and that the ref is happy. When things like the lineout fails happen, or when (if you go to an extreme) Scotland carefully used a physio to help set up the circumstances from which they scored vs England, then the fault is with the officials not the players

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

RiscaGame likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 02 Mar 2022, 1:50 pm

Forwards

Alfie Barbeary
Jamie Blamire
Alex Dombrandt
Charlie Ewels
Ellis Genge
Jamie George
Will Goodrick-Clarke (London Irish)
Maro Itoje
Nick Isiekwe
Joe Launchbury
Courtney Lawes
Lewis Ludlow
Sam Simmonds
Kyle Sinckler
Will Stuart

Backs

George Furbank
Ollie Hassell-Collins
Max Malins
Joe Marchant
Jack Nowell
Harry Randall
Henry Slade
Marcus Smith
Freddie Steward
Ben Youngs

Perhaps could point towards some likely selections for Ireland. Daly drops out, Youngs stays. Ludlam in there.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Wed 02 Mar 2022, 2:11 pm

Ewels? Furbank? Not seen anything from those two for Eng that warrants their inclusion. Nowell was pretty ineffective on Saturday as well, yes he's been out a long time but missed several key tackles and isn't Int wing quick. Likewise Malins, he was OK but not much more and again doesn't seem to have out and out wing pace unless you're thinking with Daly out he's there as bench cover for FB.
Also you've put Ludlow in list but Ludlam below? Assume mean Ludlow.
Biggest issues for me are who's in at 12 and who's on wings.
No Curry on list so is he ruled out?

I'll add I'm not being critical of who you think will be selected although I question Ewels and Furbank it's more a case of I think who you've named is probably close to what Jones will do and for me it won't work if we have Slade at 12 again and Malins and Nowell on wings.

Last edited by mountain man on Wed 02 Mar 2022, 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Wed 02 Mar 2022, 2:23 pm

Marler gets to play for Quins again. Happy now.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 02 Mar 2022, 2:28 pm

Ewels was good against Wales. Yes meant Ludlow. Curry is undergoing return to play protocols. Critical of me? It's Jones' squad.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Wed 02 Mar 2022, 3:16 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Ewels was good against Wales. Yes meant Ludlow. Curry is undergoing return to play protocols. Critical of me? It's Jones' squad.

yes that's what I said I'm not critical of you, that's Jones squad. Also I was assuming it was squad you thought it would but I take it it's the actual announced one.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 02 Mar 2022, 3:24 pm

Yeah. It's Jones squad for the fallow week. Nowt to do with me.

No 7&1/2

mountain man likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by hugehandoff Wed 02 Mar 2022, 3:42 pm

Not sure I really understand the Fallow week squad? Retaining players who need the rest is certainly fair enough, but everyone else should be playing for their clubs. Launchbury is trying to regain fitness and form following a very lengthy injury period and this is the 2nd Fallow week squad he is in. If he is again released next Tuesday then he will waste another opportunity to get back up to speed. Marchant and various others would also benefit from a club match rather than just more training sessions?

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 02 Mar 2022, 3:50 pm

Why is Ludlow in there?? Just a pointless selection.

I like Goodricke Clarks selection though.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Wed 02 Mar 2022, 4:10 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Forwards

Alfie Barbeary
Jamie Blamire
Alex Dombrandt
Charlie Ewels
Ellis Genge
Jamie George
Will Goodrick-Clarke (London Irish)
Maro Itoje
Nick Isiekwe
Joe Launchbury
Courtney Lawes
Lewis Ludlow
Sam Simmonds
Kyle Sinckler
Will Stuart

Backs

George Furbank
Ollie Hassell-Collins
Max Malins
Joe Marchant
Jack Nowell
Harry Randall
Henry Slade
Marcus Smith
Freddie Steward
Ben Youngs

Perhaps could point towards some likely selections for Ireland. Daly drops out, Youngs stays.  Ludlam in there.

Could equally point to him seeing certain players needing time on the pitch more than to be in a training camp, whilst also having enough people in the training group to run the drills etc.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 02 Mar 2022, 5:28 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Yeah. It's Jones squad for the fallow week. Nowt to do with me.
Nah, it's shoot the messenger time. Your fault. Run

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Wed 02 Mar 2022, 6:31 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Why is Ludlow in there?? Just a pointless selection.

Aside from them missing 3+ flankers and already relying on second rows to fill in prior to Curry potentially being unavailable it could be a leadership thing. Hes club captain and rather randomly got the honour from England in the summer, albeit the shortest reign in history. But it appears Jones sees something in him, and if they are missing Curry with all the inexperience in the back row and halfbacks might want a voice in there. They already have a "project" player in Barberry in the squad, but the idea of fielding some combination of Barberry, Dombrant, Lawes and Simmonds as the backrow options seems a bit wild. He has a big work rate and puts a lot of tackles in. I'm sure people will name a bunch of rookies whove had a few good games on TV thsi year, but Id see him as a safer bet for a fill in who can do a job while they wait for the senior players to come back.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Wed 02 Mar 2022, 6:36 pm

I thought i read somewhere on one of the rugby forums.
EJ was thinking of calling on England's (JONO LOMU) B IG joe Cockasigna.  For the Ireland game.

I also read  he (Big Joe ) was thinking of swapping country's. to play for FIJI. any one any news of that?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 02 Mar 2022, 6:47 pm

It's just a training squad. Got to have a few fringe players to fill the gaps whilst some of the bench/travelling reserves go back to their clubs for game time.

They could have used Wasps more given it's their bye week rather than pulling some players out of teams that would have otherwise started. West and Willis for instance over Goodrick-Clark and Ludlow.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 02 Mar 2022, 6:49 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:I thought i read somewhere on one of the rugby forums.
EJ was thinking of calling on England's (JONO LOMU) B IG joe Cockasigna.  For the Ireland game.

I also read  he (Big Joe ) was thinking of swapping country's. to play for FIJI. any one any news of that?

May well do. It might depend on Manu's fitness, if Manu doesn't make it then a winger might be sacrificed for additional backline power. If Manu is fit (well as fit as Manu gets) then more rounded options stuck with.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Wed 02 Mar 2022, 7:29 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:

It's just a training squad. Got to have a few fringe players to fill the gaps whilst some of the bench/travelling reserves go back to their clubs for game time.

They could have used Wasps more given it's their bye week rather than pulling some players out of teams that would have otherwise started. West and Willis for instance over Goodrick-Clark and Ludlow.

I'd prefer to have Goodrick-Clark with his club this weekend too ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed 02 Mar 2022, 8:25 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:I thought i read somewhere on one of the rugby forums.

He'll have to wait a while - his last cap was last summer, so it'd be summer 2024 at the earliest. I think the only reason he doesn't have more England caps is because he's been so broken.

Mr Bounce

lostinwales likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 02 Mar 2022, 10:38 pm

Curry, Underhill and Ludlam all potentially injured for Ireland game. Willis not yet fully fit.

Kenningham also injured thinking about players looked at in training squads. Though I suspect he was more of an apprentice style selection.

Ben Curry played his first game since January at the weekend. Not his first layoff this season either. He missed around a month from the end of September, through to the end of October. He needs more minutes.

That leaves Ludlow or Earl for openside cover I'd presume. Personally I'd pick Earl but his form at Sarries hasn't quite hit his best since being dropped.

Having seen the state of the breakdown with and without Curry at the weekend I'd definitely pick an openside, even if they are around our 6th or 7th best one.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 02 Mar 2022, 11:48 pm

How in bloody hell are so many players injured? Yes, Rugby is not badminton, but something just doesn't seem right.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 03 Mar 2022, 3:00 am

doctor_grey wrote:How in bloody hell are so many players injured?  Yes, Rugby is not badminton, but something just doesn't seem right.  
Too much rugby, plain and simple if you ask me Doc.

It's not just England either. Though the club vs country stuff, not being able to rest internationals as the Irish provinces do for instance doesn't help. Most sides keep having a ton of injuries.

Off the top of my head at the minute:

Wales - Owens, Dee, AWJ, Navidi, Tipuric, Botham, Lydiate, Williams, North, Halfpenny
JDv2 also has basically one leg now, sadly looks a shadow of the player he once was due to injuries. Faletau only just returned as well.

Italy - Riccioni, Fuser, Mayer, Polledri, Negri, Morisi, Campagnaro, Menoncello, Minozzi (opted out but injured anyway)
I don't know the Italy team well enough to know if there's more but that's 6 of their best players in Riccioni, Polledri, Negri, Morisi, Campagnaro and Minozzi. One of their most talented backs in winger Menoncello. Then back five forwards they can't afford to lose in Fuser and Mayer with Polledri and Negri injured.

Scotland - Sutherland, Gray, Cummings, Ritchie, Watson, M Fagerson, Bayliss
Their backs are mostly intact but IMO that is their strongest second and back row missing in its entirety against France.

Half of the Six Nations teams are missing their skippers. Ollivon, Farrell and AWJ.

The Boks team England beat in the autumn were missing Malherbe (the best scrummaging TH in the world), PSdT (probably the best blindside in the world), Faf (one of their talismen and a brilliant 9) and Kolbe (best winger in the world).

It's a sh*te status quo. Less rugby, higher quality when played is direly needed.

king_carlos

doctor_grey likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 03 Mar 2022, 9:13 am

Ludlow reached Teimana Harrison levels of performance last summer against indifferent opponents. His leadership skills were such that we now know (luckily) that Genge is a good leader.

I know he has a solid track record at club level, and that it usually takes time for players to adapt to internationals, but he was brought in as captain.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 03 Mar 2022, 9:29 am

Glad to see Ludlow everyone championing Ludlow as the saviour to Englands openside...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 03 Mar 2022, 9:31 am

We don't really have many other openside options do we. I'd have rather seen if Reffell fancied a cap than Ludlow but he would be well down the list of flankers if everyone was fit so perhaps the waters have been tested. I hope Barbeary is higher up for consideration for Ireland should Curry not come through. TBF I'd have him higher than Simmonds.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Thu 03 Mar 2022, 9:45 am

Kenningham would have been worth a shot if two Exeter players hadn't jumped on his neck...

That said, I think Eddie is picking back rows who can all do an openside job - one of Dombrandt's work ons before being selected was his breakdown play, and he now regularly gets a couple of turnovers a game.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 03 Mar 2022, 9:54 am

Kenningham would have been a good shout, handy in the lineout too.

I'm not buying Ludlam as good enough for Int rugby and Ludlow is even further down the chain, I'm amazed he keeps coming back in.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Thu 03 Mar 2022, 9:56 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Kenningham would have been a good shout, handy in the lineout too.

I'm not buying Ludlam as good enough for Int rugby and Ludlow is even further down the chain, I'm amazed he keeps coming back in.  

I suspect they both meet Eddie's criteria around work rate, but they're lacking in impact.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Sgt_Pooly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 03 Mar 2022, 10:08 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:We don't really have many other openside options do we. I'd have rather seen if Reffell fancied a cap than Ludlow but he would be well down the list of flankers if everyone was fit so perhaps the waters have been tested. I hope Barbeary is higher up for consideration for Ireland should Curry not come through. TBF I'd have him higher than Simmonds.
Rumours were that Reffell was offered a place in camp at the start of the year but turned it down. As a Tigers fan I fear he'll end up moving to a region but getting stuck in the logjam of very good opensides there.

I'd be happy to see Barbeary get a chance over Simmonds but wouldn't want him coming straight into the 23 for Curry with Simmonds starting at flanker. We saw in the second half against Wales what having no openside did to the breakdown.

Curry, Underhill, Willis and Ludlam are cracking 7 options. Just a shame they all have injuries at similar times.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Thu 03 Mar 2022, 10:12 am

Jack Willis back playing. I'm not suggesting for a minute he's ready for this 6N but maybe for summer/autumn matches he could be back in contention for a back row spot.
Anyway, not sure forwards are Englands biggest issue. For me it's centres and wings. Oh to have Watson and May fit.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 03 Mar 2022, 10:23 am

king_carlos wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:We don't really have many other openside options do we. I'd have rather seen if Reffell fancied a cap than Ludlow but he would be well down the list of flankers if everyone was fit so perhaps the waters have been tested. I hope Barbeary is higher up for consideration for Ireland should Curry not come through. TBF I'd have him higher than Simmonds.
Rumours were that Reffell was offered a place in camp at the start of the year but turned it down. As a Tigers fan I fear he'll end up moving to a region but getting stuck in the logjam of very good opensides there.

I'd be happy to see Barbeary get a chance over Simmonds but wouldn't want him coming straight into the 23 for Curry with Simmonds starting at flanker. We saw in the second half against Wales what having no openside did to the breakdown.

Curry, Underhill, Willis and Ludlam are cracking 7 options. Just a shame they all have injuries at similar times.

Agree with that. Ludlam is a little short of an international for me. Re the above choice of Barbeary if it's him vs Ludlow for a bench option, you'd go the latter with Simmonds, or start Ludolow? For me I don't see the reason he's chosen even with teh list of wounded.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Thu 03 Mar 2022, 10:27 am

doctor_grey wrote:How in bloody hell are so many players injured?  Yes, Rugby is not badminton, but something just doesn't seem right.  

Think since pro era started players got so much bigger, stronger, fitter they run faster and collisions are greater. Plus muscles get bigger and stronger but connective tissue can't keep up so tendon injuries etc occur.
England players in particular seem to suffer above average number of injuries in camp - I don't have stats for this but it seems like it. I think Jones beasts them to breaking point and beyond sometimes.

mountain man

doctor_grey likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 03 Mar 2022, 10:32 am

mountain man wrote:

Think since pro era started players got so much bigger, stronger, fitter they run faster and collisions are greater. Plus muscles get bigger and stronger but connective tissue can't keep up so tendon injuries etc occur.
England players in particular seem to suffer above average number of injuries in camp - I don't have stats for this but it seems like it. I think Jones beasts them to breaking point and beyond sometimes.

Think that's just one of those things that may not be true. Pretty much like England struggle with centre partnerships or Jones doesn't give enough chance to new players. Once the stats come out it doesn't tend to back it up.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Thu 03 Mar 2022, 10:38 am

Like I said I don't have stats but I do recall quite a few over past years getting injured in camp.
As for centre partnerships I actually think Eng do struggle, once Manu is inevitably ruled out has anyone really claimed spot other than Slade and he is moved between 12 and 13.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 03 Mar 2022, 10:40 am

Well the latter has been looked at England's combos through Jones' tender has been more settled than a number of 6Ns rivals.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 03 Mar 2022, 10:44 am

Unsurprising given how he was taken off: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/60602162

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 03 Mar 2022, 11:08 am

The summer squad to Australia will be interesting...

Geordie

No 7&1/2 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Thu 03 Mar 2022, 12:17 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:The summer squad to Australia will be interesting...

...will be driven by injuries.

What Id expect is those established players like Underhill, Farell, May, Willis, and Cokasinga to come back in. If folk are fit its likely to be a more experienced squad than the current one, the refresh has happened with the aim of getting a core squad together thats competitive for this summer on to the world cup. So relatively few opportunities for entirely new players to jump in, unless there's further injury problems or the wheels really do come off through the remainder of the 6 nations.

Big questions around some like Ford, Daly, Youngs who seem to be slipping down the pecking order (if Dalys exclusion form the latest training squad signals hes done, it might be that Jones just wants him to play back to form) but the other options seem most likely come form those already in the wider squad rather than new players.

Theres quite a wide group of capped players to pick from, as well as a number of apprentices who have been in squads.

The injuries go give the impression of having been very frequent and severe over the past couple of years, but the early [art of Jones' reign was marked by the most stable squad I can remember post 2003 (and tbh my memory pre that is sketchy at best)

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Thu 03 Mar 2022, 12:32 pm

Unclear wrote:Getting back to England v Ireland ...

England being at home will be a great advantage for them, as it always is in the 6N.  But Ireland seem more settled (at least the small number of Ireland supporters on here aren't calling for wholesale changes from 11 - 14) and with Sexton starting more confident.  The English pack (and particularly Itoje unsurprisingly) always cause Ireland problems so I think the game will be close, but still think it will be an Ireland win.

The only guaranteed England win is in the battle of the hair styles, Porter and Lowe just don't compete with new messiah (assuming Jimbopip didn't copyright that for Mr Bennett).

I don't know, I quite like Porter's barnet because he reminds me of an early 90s wrestler. It feels like he should be half way through a call out video when Genge appears behind him and whacks across the back with a chair. Would spice up the match build up anyway...
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

lostinwales and Unclear like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 03 Mar 2022, 1:19 pm

Yeah, I'd expect a lot of returnees where possible for the summer tour. Main potential ones being:

Launchbury, Hill, Underhill, Willis, Farrell, Manu, May, Cokanasiga, Watson

Probably see a few of the guys who have been capped or in training squads but had limited opportunities as well. Maybe some of:

Chessum, Martin or Hill, Ben Curry, Barbeary, Quirke, Kelly, Odogwu, Radwan or OHC

The big two to discuss with regards to resting would be Itoje and Sinckler. With it being a tour of Oz I'd be very surprised if either is rested though. I'm not sure I'd rest people either for this tour. If the plan is a significant change of game plan then games together before the RWC is paramount to it working.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 03 Mar 2022, 1:24 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:
king_carlos wrote:

Agree with that. Ludlam is a little short of an international for me. Re the above choice of Barbeary if it's him vs Ludlow for a bench option, you'd go the latter with Simmonds, or start Ludolow? For me I don't see the reason he's chosen even with teh list of wounded.
I'd start Ludlow over Simmonds as an openside, yeah. Simmonds offers little at the breakdown for a carrying number 8 let alone an openside.

I disagree on Ludlam. I thought he played well against Scotland. His tackling and breakdown work are strong, his kick chase fantastic due to his pace and he was taking on a tough role carrying against the defence when set. I wouldn't pick him over Curry, Underhill or Willis if they were fit but he's a good player. Certainly a better openside than Kenningham at this stage for instance. Even as a Tigers fan I rate Ludlam over Reffell at this stage too.

If Ben Curry hadn't just been injured it would've been interesting to see whether he'd have been called up. He was also capped in the summer.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Thu 03 Mar 2022, 1:36 pm

Cumbrian wrote:
Unclear wrote:Getting back to England v Ireland ...

I don't know, I quite like Porter's barnet because he reminds me of an early 90s wrestler.   It feels like he should be half way through a call out video when Genge appears behind him and whacks across the back with a chair.  Would spice up the match build up anyway...

Wouldnt put it past Genge

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu 03 Mar 2022, 1:58 pm

It's curious how injuries seem quite often to occur to players in the same position - I remember times when we've been down to things like the 7th choice centre (Joel Tompkins, for those who want to dust off a horrifying memory) or 4th and 5th choice hookers and props. This season it looks to be open side flankers, with probably the best 5 all being unavailable for selection at the moment (Curry x 2, Underhill, Willis and Ludlam) - of course this might all be moot if Tom Curry comes through the return to play protocols.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Thu 03 Mar 2022, 2:14 pm

Has Jack Willis got injured again? He played for Wasps other week but is he out again and if so same knee?

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 03 Mar 2022, 2:18 pm

Willis played the last two weeks. First game off the bench, seconding starting and subbed after 60 minutes. He needs more time to reach fitness required for the Six Nations after such a long layoff though. He's missed almost a year.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 16  Next