The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England post 2022 6Ns, Aus tour and beyond

+36
Heaf
Mr Bounce
MichaelT
dummy_half
BigGee
BigTrevsbigmac
Irish Londoner
king_carlos
nlpnlp
Collapse2005
Rugby Fan
yappysnap
Soul Requiem
Recwatcher16
cb
WELL-PAST-IT
BamBam
propdavid_london
geoff999rugby
Poorfour
Northgrill
sensisball
Cumbrian
formerly known as Sam
mountain man
Sgt_Pooly
No 7&1/2
Geordie
mikey_dragon
Margin_Walker
lostinwales
Yoda
Big
doctor_grey
majesticimperialman
hugehandoff
40 posters

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

England post 2022 6Ns, Aus tour and beyond  - Page 10 Empty England post 2022 6Ns, Aus tour and beyond

Post by hugehandoff Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:50 am

First topic message reminder :

A few things whirling around my head and most start with the fact that Eddie is likely to remain in charge. There are probably a lack of available alternatives and the RFU won't want to fork out more money. Therefore, he is likely to remain in charge until the RWC 2023 is done. Bearing that in mind what are the positives and negatives?

Positives
We have some decent forwards for sure and the set piece should be fine. Underhill was terrific yesterday and I think a return to Curry and Underhill playing around a big 8 would be very handy. Dombrandt should be that man.
Our defence is excellent and the team spirit is clearly there.
We have loads of quality players who can hopefully return to fitness and form and add to the mix. All countries lose players and of course we have more resources than anyone bar France, but we will no doubt look completely different if Launchbury, Hill, Curry, Cowan-Dickie, Manu, May, Watson, Cockanasiga, Farrell are all fit and firing.
We have some foundations to build on and it is not Eddie's fault that we have not had Manu, or a decent replacement, available to add some power to our midfield.
There is enough time to fix many of these issues.

Negatives
Inconsistent selection
Inconsistent tactics and coaching team (too many coaching changes). Taking over from Lancaster Eddie was very clear on what to do. Restore England's traditional strengths in the set piece, defence and back it up with good kicking. Now we are totally confused as what we are trying to do.
The whole thing about playing players not in their best positions
Everyone is bored with Eddie's comments - we need less of him

Aus Tour
What a statement he made by winning 3-0 last time post a grand slam. Ruthless in taking off Burrell after 25 minutes. And they were missing Manu then as well and ended up with Ford, Farrell and Joseph so if we assume that Manu is unavailable then there is still hope. But we need players in their correct position and we need some consistency. Considering we don't have too many options at 12 and Slade is not really working out should we revert to Farrell? Not exactly a running beast, but at least he will be fresh and might just add some toughness. I would love to see Youngs left behind and to back 2 of our younger 9s. Genge, Dombrandt, Smith, Steward etc all need exposure to a tough away series.

Autumn
Based purely on form this is now the time to select the 23 Eddie sees as our strongest RWC team. All bets are off now and if a Mako or Bill V are playing well and showing the form and hunger to return then why not consider them. We might need then in the RWC group even if they are back ups to the regular starters. So maybe give them a game to see where they are? And then hopefully we can enjoy some consistent selection allied with a revamped game plan.

Anyone else hopeful that Eddie can resurrect the team and our RWC ambitions?

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

England post 2022 6Ns, Aus tour and beyond  - Page 10 Empty Re: England post 2022 6Ns, Aus tour and beyond

Post by king_carlos Tue May 17, 2022 10:52 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Seems a few players missing as their clubs have agreements with Eddie...ie Slade & Exeter ...

With Simmonds having an inconsistent 6N Slade might be the only Chiefs player in the running for the summer. LCD, Hill and Nowell are all injured sadly.

Squads for short training camps missing big players and including young ones isn't unusual across all international rugby. NZ squads during the Henry and Hansen era when they were phenomenal would frequently be missing nailed on stars until just before they had a game again. Camps need a decent core of internationals there so younger players can see the standards but if you want to expose young players to these camps without having 50-man squads there needs to be experienced players left out.

Missing from the 6N squads:

Potentially not touring for personal reasons - Youngs and Marler
Injured - LCD, Hill, Quirke, May, Nowell
Played in 6N and fit now but not included - George, Ford, Isiekwe, Simmonds, Slade, Marchant, Daly, Malins
In 6N squads, didn't feature and not included - Atkinson, Northmore, OHC, Radwan

Isiekwe, Simmonds and Malins didn't really set the world alight so I don't think can count themselves unlucky.

Cokanasiga, Arundell, Freeman and Lynagh being looked at as wingers so it's not like OHC and Radwan have been left out for stodge. Personally I rate Radwan higher than Lynagh and Freeman but no issue with the wingers being looked at. I feel for Malins missing out as reserve fullback to Furbank though.

Slade and Marchant both missing out is a surprise but have basically been replaced by Farrell and Manu.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

England post 2022 6Ns, Aus tour and beyond  - Page 10 Empty Re: England post 2022 6Ns, Aus tour and beyond

Post by propdavid_london Tue May 17, 2022 11:14 pm

king_carlos wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:Seems a few players missing as their clubs have agreements with Eddie...ie Slade & Exeter ...

Cokanasiga, Arundell, Freeman and Lynagh being looked at as wingers so it's not like OHC and Radwan have been left out for stodge. Personally I rate Radwan higher than Lynagh and Freeman but no issue with the wingers being looked at. I feel for Malins missing out as reserve fullback to Furbank though..
I have a feeling that Malins may have pulled up injured in Sarries Tulon fixture...could be wrong though.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Wed May 18, 2022 12:07 am

Would like to see Lynagh getting a starting place, and Big Joe Cocasigna get another chance.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed May 18, 2022 1:29 am

Simmonds injured, having surgery on his hip so will miss the tour.

Dombrandt and Barbeary very likely to be the 8 options then it would seem.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed May 18, 2022 1:48 am

king_carlos wrote:Simmonds injured, having surgery on his hip so will miss the tour.

And with that might be his England career....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed May 18, 2022 3:10 am

propdavid_london wrote:
king_carlos wrote:

Cokanasiga, Arundell, Freeman and Lynagh being looked at as wingers so it's not like OHC and Radwan have been left out for stodge. Personally I rate Radwan higher than Lynagh and Freeman but no issue with the wingers being looked at. I feel for Malins missing out as reserve fullback to Furbank though..
I have a feeling that Malins may have pulled up injured in Sarries Tulon fixture...could be wrong though.

He went off early doors.

It's only a training squad so makes sense to mix the players up a bit.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed May 18, 2022 3:29 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:
king_carlos wrote:Simmonds injured, having surgery on his hip so will miss the tour.

My thought as well. His most impressive England performance was probably the Ireland game too.

Dombrandt was promising over the Six Nations and Barbeary has the ability to make yards through contact that tends to translate to international level. They seem the better suited players to this England side.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed May 18, 2022 4:03 am

My thoughts is this is just a training squad before the Barbarians match. Really don't read too much into it. Most of the usual suspects will be on the tour to Oz. But if one, two, or hopefully three young'uns look good in training and then play well against the Barbarians, perhaps then we move the needle.

That said, Harry Randall is the most experienced 9 in the squad with what, a half-dozen caps at the most. But he doesn't concern me, and will be fine. Tuilagi should be home resting. Barbeary would be fun to watch get a run. In fact, a back row consisting of Willis, Barbeary, and Underhill should be brutal to play. After that, who knows?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed May 18, 2022 4:27 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:

Without sounding too harsh.....hopefully. I just don't rate the guy at all and don't want him anywhere near an England shirt.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed May 18, 2022 8:46 am

doctor_grey wrote:My thoughts is this is just a training squad before the Barbarians match.  Really don't read too much into it.  Most of the usual suspects will be on the tour to Oz.  But if one, two, or hopefully three young'uns look good in training and then play well against the Barbarians, perhaps then we move the needle.  

That said, Harry Randall is the most experienced 9 in the squad with what, a half-dozen caps at the most.  But he doesn't concern me, and will be fine.  Tuilagi should be home resting.  Barbeary would be fun to watch get a run.  In fact, a back row consisting of Willis, Barbeary, and Underhill should be brutal to play.    After that, who knows?

Due to the usual injury count, then Marler and Youngs potentially not touring there aren't as many 'regular faces' to return as you'd think though, Doc.

George and Sinckler will definitely come back in I'd guess. Slade and Marchant will have a good shot as well though if fit I think Farrell and Tuilagi will be the centre pairing.

LCD, Hill, Simmonds, Quirke, May and Nowell are all injured. Though some rumours May is close to a return. Malins also got a knock now it seems - he was dropped at the end of the Six Nations anyway though.

Isiekwe could come back in but didn't he blow me away in the Six Nations, I'm an Isiekwe fan!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed May 18, 2022 5:02 pm

Believe that Jones was at the prem Cup final last night to watch the LI players. Played OK but Lawremce also came off the bench for his 1st match in 5 months and carried really strongly. May be in thoughts if there are any injuries. Lovely to see Jackson go to pieces as well.

Didn't quite realise how quick Ted Hill was either.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed May 18, 2022 7:07 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Believe that Jones was at the prem Cup final last night to watch the LI players. Played OK but Lawremce also came off the bench for his 1st match in 5 months and carried really strongly. May be in thoughts if there are any injuries. Lovely to see Jackson go to pieces as well.

Wuss had some good young players out there as well. Fin Smith looks far to composed to have only just turned 20. He played really well as did Shillcock at 15. Well worth the trip for Eddie as there was quite a lot of English talent on show.

If someone can find an English Granny for van Rensburg that would be great also.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed May 18, 2022 7:24 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Believe that Jones was at the prem Cup final last night to watch the LI players. Played OK but Lawremce also came off the bench for his 1st match in 5 months and carried really strongly. May be in thoughts if there are any injuries. Lovely to see Jackson go to pieces as well.

Hes a beast. If the stories are true hes focusing on 8 next season...then he'll be another in the mix. I rate him so highly and Diamond will iron out the rough edges to his game

PS Ollie Lawrence is only 22...still plenty of time...hopefully he can really push on, and come through.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Wed May 18, 2022 7:41 pm

king_carlos wrote:
Dombrandt was promising over the Six Nations and Barbeary has the ability to make yards through contact that tends to translate to international level. They seem the better suited players to this England side.

The stats were surprising when they came out - Dombrandt was close to Aldritt across most of the measures, despite having played far fewer minutes. Obviously, there's a bit of an advantage coming on as a sub but given how highly Aldritt was rated it was interesting to see how close they were.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Wed May 18, 2022 8:05 pm

Have to say I'm surprised but suppose I shouldn't be that Ewels is included in squad. I'm sure he's a nice guy and all that but sorry unless I'm missing something I just dont see what he brings to Eng team. Add in the red card - which was accidental, just poor technique - and can't say I've seen any plus points for him in an England shirt.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed May 18, 2022 8:42 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:

Hes a beast. If the stories are true hes focusing on 8 next season...then he'll be another in the mix. I rate him so highly and Diamond will iron out the rough edges to his game

PS Ollie Lawrence is only 22...still plenty of time...hopefully he can really push on, and come through.

Can't help but feel Hill has made a mistake moving to 8. Perhaps he can push himself up the pecking order a bit come the WC by being a genuine option at lock, 6 and 8 but I'm not sure he's showing enough to push himself as a starter in any position which is an issue with Jones having more flexibility outside that period.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed May 18, 2022 8:44 pm

Poorfour wrote:
king_carlos wrote:

The stats were surprising when they came out - Dombrandt was close to Aldritt across most of the measures, despite having played far fewer minutes. Obviously, there's a bit of an advantage coming on as a sub but given how highly Aldritt was rated it was interesting to see how close they were.

Possibly down to expectations of what he would offer? The stats backed up the view that he was very busy in the tight whereas we're used to seeing him much more prominent slightly wider out, making breaks for Harlequins. It was Lawes that was used wider in a few of the games they played together, which to me was a little odd.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed May 18, 2022 9:07 pm

king_carlos wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:My thoughts is this is just a training squad before the Barbarians match.  Really don't read too much into it.  Most of the usual suspects will be on the tour to Oz.  But if one, two, or hopefully three young'uns look good in training and then play well against the Barbarians, perhaps then we move the needle.  

That said, Harry Randall is the most experienced 9 in the squad with what, a half-dozen caps at the most.  But he doesn't concern me, and will be fine.  Tuilagi should be home resting.  Barbeary would be fun to watch get a run.  In fact, a back row consisting of Willis, Barbeary, and Underhill should be brutal to play.    After that, who knows?

Due to the usual injury count, then Marler and Youngs potentially not touring there aren't as many 'regular faces' to return as you'd think though, Doc.

George and Sinckler will definitely come back in I'd guess. Slade and Marchant will have a good shot as well though if fit I think Farrell and Tuilagi will be the centre pairing.

LCD, Hill, Simmonds, Quirke, May and Nowell are all injured. Though some rumours May is close to a return. Malins also got a knock now it seems - he was dropped at the end of the Six Nations anyway though.

Isiekwe could come back in but didn't he blow me away in the Six Nations, I'm an Isiekwe fan!
Good points, I keep forgetting about the injury count! I agree it's likely Marler is on a short leash at home and Youngs, well I don't know, but if he is central to Eddie Jones plans, then I think he should have the summer off as well to ensure he is fit for the next 15 months. I'm pretty sure George, Sinckler, Slade, Marchant will all be there. If Tuilagi really tours, he will need a high quality backup. Isiekwe is an odd thing. I am a fan as well, but agree he hasn't been impacted a match as I would have expected. Still think there is more to come. Do you know when the actual travelling squad is announced?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed May 18, 2022 10:56 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:

Can't help but feel Hill has made a mistake moving to 8. Perhaps he can push himself up the pecking order a bit come the WC by being a genuine option at lock, 6 and 8 but I'm not sure he's showing enough to push himself as a starter in any position which is an issue with Jones having more flexibility outside that period.

Problem for Hill was he tried to play a bit of lock and he struggled, don't think he's really big enough for that. At club level Wuss have three good flankers so one needed to go to 8, Kvesic tried it and it didn't quite work but Hill seems to be adapting to the role well. Being a 6/8 option that can both jump at the lineout, be mobile and carry hard ticks boxes for Eddie. It's what Lawes offers at 6 and there's the option of moving Hill to 8 and playing him alongside dual opensides. Could make him useful, it's similar to what George Martin has been doing at Tigers, mixing in a bit of 8 to work on his carrying and offer positional variety.

Dombrandt looked promising in the 6N but he made errors, I can't remember the game but there was one where he dived on a loose ball and then just lay there and got done for holding on. He just sometimes seems to be struggling with the step up in intensity. Hopefully the summer tour to Australia he can get over that and cement the 8 shirt.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed May 18, 2022 11:17 pm

Hill played one game at lock for Wuss in the final Prem game of last season when they had a lot of injuries. He then played 30 minutes off the bench at lock against USA when England's second row options were so depleted that Ewels and McNally started. It's a stretch to say he tried to play lock and struggled. Two sides he could play for were struggling for a second row shaped human available to take the field and Hill happened to be a 6'5" outhouse that was actually fit enough to run at the time!

Worth remembering that Hill was in the England squad again at the start of this season but got a red card that made him unavailable for the AIs. So he was being considered as recently then. He had a bit of a dip as many young players, especially in a struggling side, but he's still got all the skills to be a very good 6 or 8.

king_carlos

Geordie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Wed May 18, 2022 11:39 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:
Poorfour wrote:
king_carlos wrote:

Possibly down to expectations of what he would offer? The stats backed up the view that he was very busy in the tight whereas we're used to seeing him much more prominent slightly wider out, making breaks for Harlequins. It was Lawes that was used wider in a few of the games they played together, which to me was a little odd.

Good analysis. Thought it puzzles me why Eddie uses a player who so instinctively picks devastating lines off Smith primarily as a workhorse in the tight.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed May 18, 2022 11:49 pm

Dombrandt did run some lines off Smith to be fair. Defences are just so much better at international level that they weren't as effective. The inside balls in particular which on a couple of occasions were so easy to read it was like U14s playing touch in the warm-up.

There just aren't the same gaps as there are at Premiership level. It's the nature of defence being a weak link aspect of rugby. You could have Pocock, McCaw and Warburton in a back row but if the rest of the defenders are weak it will be a poor defence. In Prem rugby playing against Worcester for instance those weak links - often props - might be Jay Tyack or Jack Owlett. Against Ireland it's Tadhg Furlong or Andrew Porter. Defences are simply incomparable.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu May 19, 2022 1:43 am

True that! But I also agree it is peculiar to use a player who is more effective a bit wider to regularly do the hard yards up the gut. I guess we will see how the attack has evolved during the tour in Australia.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu May 19, 2022 2:04 am

In Dombrandt's earlier caps I thought he was less effective as he was trying to wait for the ball wider out rather than searching for work. If the momentum isn't there to go wider then we need our primary carriers to look for work tighter in, get over the gain line. As he's got more minutes in international rugby I think Dombrandt has started doing that and looks a better player for it.

Regardless of how good a carrier a number 8 is with quick ball or wider out if they can't make hard yards against set-defences you're only going to last so long in international rugby. Dombrandt seems able to develop parts of his game such as that pretty quickly which is exactly what you need to adapt to the step-up. I thought he got better and better as the tournament went on.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu May 19, 2022 3:31 am

Isn't Ruan Ackerman EQ in the summer?

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu May 19, 2022 3:36 am

Hasn't he been EQ for 2 years?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu May 19, 2022 3:37 am

I get your point about the step up to the top level means faster, stronger, and simply better defensive players.  And teams are more organised, gaps are fewer and close faster.  Players need to be able to grind it out at times.  Some players thrive in that environment, but most can't quite make it (as if it is some sort of negative to be considered a very good club player).  

You make the best point about Dombrandt.  He continues to improve and develop.  I think he is better than he was a year ago, ironically doing more of the hard yards, and significantly better than the year before.  Let's hope that trend continues, except when Quins play Saints, when he is permitted to have two bad games per season.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat May 21, 2022 12:56 am

Sydney Morning Herald has an article about Wallaby hooker Dave Porecki, explaining how the RFU helped him improve his wayward lineout throwing. It's a curious story, as I'm not aware of Porecki ever being on the England radar, so you wonder how this came about. He does have an English mum, so was England-qualified.  

Dave Porecki admits when he arrived at his new London club in mid-2015 he was, then, no certainty to “hit a barn door” with a lineout throw...but in Porecki’s first week at Saracens, England’s specialist lineout guru Simon Hardy came to see about that barn door.

“He had me throw some balls and after 15-20 balls, he came up to me and gave me pretty much what I wanted to hear, which was, ‘You’re Poopie, but this is how we are going to make you better’,” Porecki said.

Hardy, who was the RFU’s lineout coach for England’s 2003 World Cup team, began working with Porecki, using some unusual drills. As a self-taught, former lineout-throwing prop, Porecki had flaws but Hardy used a broomstick on his chest to enforce an upright stance, and even boxing gloves to slowly hone technique.

A calf injury stopped Dave Rennie from picking Porecki for the Wallabies last year but it would be no shock to see the 29-year-old make a debut start in the No.2 against Eddie Jones’ England in the first Test in July.

After years of scratching through with unreliable lineout throwers, Porecki could finally solve the issue for the Wallabies against England, courtesy of English-funded tuition.

“It’s funny because in the UK I am seen as an around-the-field hooker, and here I am seen as a set-piece hooker,” Porecki said. “It shows the differing priorities. But the ones who really succeed are the ones who can do both and I still believe I am nowhere near the finished product, or can be considered a world-class thrower.”

Can't recall hearing much about Simon Hardy before. Turns out he was with the RFU for 22 years, working with teams at alll age group levels. He left in 2016, presumably after the Lancaster clearout, and has since worked as a freelance specialist coach.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-union/barn-doors-and-boxing-gloves-how-england-turned-porecki-into-a-wallaby-in-waiting-20220520-p5amz2.html

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat May 21, 2022 1:03 am

I heard of Hardy when reading about the 2003 side but didn't realise he'd been with the RFU for that long afterwards. An interesting story indeed.

Given he was with the RFU whilst Lancaster was head coach I especially look forward to Sarge using it as an opening to slag off Tom Youngs!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat May 21, 2022 1:52 am

I was thinking about the team that went to Australia
and manage to get  a white wash against them in 2016
I personaly did not think it would happen then.

Does any one truly think it will happen again?
I hope it can but giving how England played in the 6nations? It is hard to believe.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat May 21, 2022 3:56 am

1.Genge 2.George 3.Sinckler 4.Launchbury 5.Itoje 6.Lawes 7.Curry 8.Dombrandt
9.Randall 10.Smith 11.Cokanasiga 12.Farrell 13.Tuilagi 14.Watson 15.Steward

16.Blamire 17.Mako 18.Stuart 19.Isiekwe 20.Underhill 21.Mitchell 22.Slade 23.Arundell

There are the makings of a good looking side on paper once George and Sinckler especially get added back in. The backs look incomparable to the Six Nations offerings with Farrell, Tuilagi and Watson added in.

Heyes, Chessum, Willis, Barbeary and Marchant all players I'd also be excited to see involved in the tests.

Jonny Hill and Jonny May rumoured to potentially be fit as well even if Youngs and Marler opt not to tour.

LCD is a massive loss though. He's a genuine world class player these days. Certainly in the top tier of players in the world in his position alongside Marx, Mbonambi, Montoya and Marchand.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon May 23, 2022 4:57 am

Launchbury ludlam and dolly out due to injury. Ewan Richards Isiekwe and Singleton in.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon May 23, 2022 5:29 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:Launchbury ludlam and dolly out due to injury. Ewan Richards Isiekwe and Singleton in.

From what we saw from Saints I'd have called up Hinckley to replace Ludlum. Only a training session and he's been impressive since he started playing again.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon May 23, 2022 10:41 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:Launchbury ludlam and dolly out due to injury. Ewan Richards Isiekwe and Singleton in.

From what we saw from Saints I'd have called up Hinckley to replace Ludlum. Only a training session and he's been impressive since he started playing again.
He has really been good. Hopefully this continues for the next three games.....

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon May 23, 2022 5:46 pm

It does look to be back up to a back up to a back up but both relative newbies so Jones gets a closer look and they may get a chance to play the Baa Baas. Thought Singleton has been unlucky not to get in recent squads so quite happy he's there.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon May 23, 2022 5:50 pm

doctor_grey wrote:

He has really been good.  Hopefully this continues for the next three games.....

Next two games you mean.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon May 23, 2022 8:34 pm

doctor_grey wrote:

He has really been good.  Hopefully this continues for the next three games.....

Next two games you mean.
I don't want Saints to lose to Sarries in the final....
Run

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon May 23, 2022 9:26 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:

Next two games you mean.
Run

You are likely to get the team that dismantled you home and away in the league this season first. I'm hoping for three in a row given I missed the Franklin Gardens massacre despite having a ticket as I was in hospital. Got a ticket for the semi final though so looking forward to that.

Hoping Quins do a number on Sarries in the other semi final.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue May 24, 2022 12:14 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:It does look to be back up to a back up to a back up but both relative newbies so Jones gets a closer look and they may get a chance to play the Baa Baas. Thought Singleton has been unlucky not to get in recent squads so quite happy he's there.

Even as a Tigers fan I thought Singleton was a better bet than Dolly. I love Dolly's story of course. Dropping down to the Championship, fighting back up, starting from nowhere for Tigers in an injury crisis, scores tries for fun suddenly and gets a cap. It's a cracking story and Dolly is a good player. His darts are fantastic, he throws to the tail of the lineout as consistently as any hooker I can think of. He also has that brilliant ability to keep the ball secure at the back of a maul, keeping balls in mauls that lose momentum for longer than many hookers do but never seeming to get caught and turned over.

His scrummaging just isn't up to international level against the best sides though. I wouldn't want him scrummaging head to head with Marx, Mbonambi, Montoya, etc. He just isn't the biggest hooker at the end of the day.

A bit surprised that Ewan Richards has been called up ahead of Martin though I must say!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Tue May 24, 2022 12:27 am

This weekend, George Kruis' team, the Saitama Wild Knights, made the Japanese League One final.

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20220522/p2g/00m/0sp/034000c

Kruis announced he will be retiring from rugby, to concentrate on his business. However, he then made enigmatic noises about how he would like to turn out for the Barbarians, and perhaps should "never say never".

Their opponents will be Tokyo Sungoliath, the team which employs Jones as a consultant, so we know he'll watch the match. The major overseas players aside from Kruis are Marika Koroibete, Samu Kerevi and Damien Mckenzie.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue May 24, 2022 12:52 am

Rugby Fan wrote:This weekend, George Kruis' team, the Saitama Wild Knights, made the Japanese League One final.

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20220522/p2g/00m/0sp/034000c

Kruis announced he will be retiring from rugby, to concentrate on his business. However, he then made enigmatic noises about how he would like to turn out for the Barbarians, and perhaps should "never say never".

Their opponents will be Tokyo Sungoliath, the team which employs Jones as a consultant, so we know he'll watch the match. The major overseas players aside from Kruis are Marika Koroibete, Samu Kerevi and Damien Mckenzie.

Make it so Kruiser. Please make it so.

I know I bang on about it but England have missed him so much. When a side is struggling to find rhythm Kruis is exactly the sort of lock you need. A rock on lineout attack and defence, strengthens the scrum, cracking in defence, clears rucks all day in attack. England have missed him so much. He's simply a different level to Ewels, Hill and Isiekwe. Also Chessum at this stage though, Tigers bias admitted, I think Ollie has a high ceiling.

Koroibete and Kerevi must be carnage against some of the weaker defences seen in the Top League. Those two make strong international defences look silly at times.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue May 24, 2022 1:05 am

Martin looks at the moment to be one of the guys who is looked at then moved on from. Have to say for me if you want the hybrid lock, flanker style Chessum is the better of the 2. Hoping we're going to be moving back to 2 out and out flankers though given we have Curry, Underhill and Willis there.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue May 24, 2022 1:56 am

Ollie Chessum is certainly getting alot of praise and rightfully so. He's looking a very good prospect. I think ( like his brother) theres quite a bit of bulk to be added to that frame aswell...and i can see him making lock his permanent spot...and being quite a formidable opponent.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue May 24, 2022 9:27 am

I'll be interested to see how Tizard develops at Saracens aswell....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue May 24, 2022 6:42 pm

Should I be surprised any more that a guy like Tizard who appears the most obvious next off the rank lock isn't involved in a training camp? It's a big year for him though so perhaps some time off best suits him. He's made huge strides for Harlequins and as much as Saracens coaching setup is seemingly top class just cast your eyes to France and Kopoku at how development can stall.

No 7&1/2

Geordie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue May 24, 2022 6:46 pm

Gleeson in the Guardian:

'“[Owen] is key for us, a really important figure within the squad,” Gleeson said. “In the autumn him and Marcus got on really well. He drives a lot of the behaviours, the attitude, the desire in the team. The guy is hungry. He’s a student of the game. We have little groups with him, me and Marcus, speaking about what we need to do. It’s good to have him back in camp, really good to have his presence back again. I think it’s going to be a massive positive for the group.

“They do work together really well, and I think [Owen] can free up Marcus a little bit so he doesn’t have too much to think about. Marcus plays with a smile on his face, plays what he sees and is pretty instinctive. [Owen] can be really controlled and methodical. The combination of those two from what I’ve seen is a good one.”

Tuilagi’s return to the squad has also been welcomed by England while Gleeson is impressed by what he has seen from the 19-year-old London Irish speedster Henry Arundell. England will face the Barbarians on 19 June before seeking to extend their winning sequence against the Wallabies to nine.

“From the Australia tour we want to see a significant improvement in where we’re going,” Gleeson said. “The next bit is the biggest bit where we’ll hopefully see the biggest difference in our attack.”'

Not sure that informs us about anything that isn't blatantly obvious.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue May 24, 2022 9:14 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Martin looks at the moment to be one of the guys who is looked at then moved on from. Have to say for me if you want the hybrid lock, flanker style Chessum is the better of the 2. Hoping we're going to be moving back to 2 out and out flankers though given we have Curry, Underhill and Willis there.

Probably because Martin isn't a hybrid as he doesn't play lock at senior level. He needs to up his carrying game as well, his defensive work is top notch though.

Chessum does play 6 occasionally but GF is right in his post in that Ollie is bulking up steadily (not unusual for someone his age) and lock seems to be his natural position going forward. He is probably Tigers go to option there at the minute. He's got the frame to add some more weight on, after pre season this summer I wouldn't be surprised to see him come back bigger again, he definitely looked bigger at the start of this season to what he did last season and he's already noted as around 18.5 stone on the Tigers website.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue May 24, 2022 9:50 pm

Sure he'd played lock before, even Leicester have him down as lock/back row.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed May 25, 2022 12:29 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:Martin looks at the moment to be one of the guys who is looked at then moved on from. Have to say for me if you want the hybrid lock, flanker style Chessum is the better of the 2. Hoping we're going to be moving back to 2 out and out flankers though given we have Curry, Underhill and Willis there.

Probably because Martin isn't a hybrid as he doesn't play lock at senior level. He needs to up his carrying game as well, his defensive work is top notch though.

Chessum does play 6 occasionally but GF is right in his post in that Ollie is bulking up steadily (not unusual for someone his age) and lock seems to be his natural position going forward. He is probably Tigers go to option there at the minute. He's got the frame to add some more weight on, after pre season this summer I wouldn't be surprised to see him come back bigger again, he definitely looked bigger at the start of this season to what he did last season and he's already noted as around 18.5 stone on the Tigers website.

Wow, he could get up in the high 19 stone plus mark quite easily...and yet still have a fairly unbulky mobile frame.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed May 25, 2022 8:06 am

doctor_grey wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:

Next two games you mean.
Run

You are likely to get the team that dismantled you home and away in the league this season first. I'm hoping for three in a row given I missed the Franklin Gardens massacre despite having a ticket as I was in hospital. Got a ticket for the semi final though so looking forward to that.

Hoping Quins do a number on Sarries in the other semi final.

Mate you might be disappointed there!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next