The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh 28 and Counting - The banter goes on!

+28
formerly known as Sam
Mcsweens
Intotouch
doctor_grey
sensisball
Margin_Walker
EST
Oakdene
IanBru
EWT Spoons
Tramptastic
bsando
Unclear
demosthenes
funnyExiledScot
Old Man
Highland Shaun
TJ
TheMildlyFranticLlama
tigertattie
Anglobraveheart
jimbopip
Hazel Sapling
George Carlin
RiscaGame
NeilyBroon
RDW
BigGee
32 posters

Page 19 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh 28 and Counting - The banter goes on! - Page 19 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh 28 and Counting - The banter goes on!

Post by BigGee Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:41 pm

First topic message reminder :

28 and counting, where do we get the energy!

Another Glasgow re-signing coming up this afternoon, following on from the White Rhino, the animal theme is hinted at again. Who could that be?

Ancient history:

https://www.606v2.com/t70348p1000-glasgow-and-edinburgh-unceasing-banter-thread-27#4033843

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh 28 and Counting - The banter goes on! - Page 19 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh 28 and Counting - The banter goes on!

Post by RDW Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:07 am

https://twitter.com/EdinburghRugby/status/1587147073689817088?t=mHDseCu1CLjvMFufmnLDIQ&s=19

This lad looks to have a promising future! A real physical presence and still only 20

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh 28 and Counting - The banter goes on! - Page 19 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh 28 and Counting - The banter goes on!

Post by RDW Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:11 am

Hazel Sapling wrote:
RDW wrote:Makes a mockery of Stafford feckin McDowell getting a callup though!

To defend McDowell, he started fairly well this year and is 24. He has not had many opportunities behind S Johnson/H Jones/Grigg/Steyn/DTH after breaking out in 2018/2019. He has been forced to play at 12, 13 and 15 at various points if memory serves under a coach that did not like to rotate the squad. The problem is he is probably a 12 and that is Johnson and Tuipulotu's best position so opportunities to develop are limited and he may never reach the level needed for Scotland.

Not sure what other centres are Scotland based who could have realistically been picked ahead of him. Dean is probably third choice at Edinburgh and is 28, Hutchison and H Jones are injured, Steyn is out of form...

3rd? Behind who?

Dean and Lang are pretty much battling out for the starting shirt each week now - there's very littke between the two. I'd actually go with Dean based on this season's form (he was also very good last season). Cameron Hutchinson is the 3rd 12 in the squad but he's injured, and still to really establish himself in the squad after a few promising displays.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:19 am

RDW wrote:
Hazel Sapling wrote:

To defend McDowell, he started fairly well this year and is 24. He has not had many opportunities behind S Johnson/H Jones/Grigg/Steyn/DTH after breaking out in 2018/2019. He has been forced to play at 12, 13 and 15 at various points if memory serves under a coach that did not like to rotate the squad. The problem is he is probably a 12 and that is Johnson and Tuipulotu's best position so opportunities to develop are limited and he may never reach the level needed for Scotland.

Not sure what other centres are Scotland based who could have realistically been picked ahead of him. Dean is probably third choice at Edinburgh and is 28, Hutchison and H Jones are injured, Steyn is out of form...

3rd? Behind who?

Dean and Lang are pretty much battling out for the starting shirt each week now - there's very littke between the two. I'd actually go with Dean based on this season's form (he was also very good last season). Cameron Hutchinson is the 3rd 12 in the squad but he's injured, and still to really establish himself in the squad after a few promising displays.

I think Hazel was jumbling his thoughts...you know , "He's at the Luvvies, he's third rate he's obviously third choice among his parents' children, third choice when picking a doubles pairing, third choice in the "Which two centres would you pay good money to watch" contest. You know... a Luvvie.

Don't take it personally, I'm trying to renew my AA breakdown cover without a 60% price hike. FES's secret crush Suella The Child Catcher has just explained she's not the worst Home Secretary this month it's all a perfectly reasonable response to the UK being invaded by Criminal Gangs disguised as 9 year old refugees. AND I finally got to see young Pipetto to play for my old cub on Saturday; he played 9 for the first 40, scored a try nd had a very good game. He swapped with a lad I've watched come through since under 7's and is now in the Sarries development squad. Pipetto went back on on the wing, they had a very fast lad who was destroying our winger. First time he picked up a loose ball Pipetto hared after him; cue loud twanging of his hamstring. We think it's just a strain/pull but he's doing the full drama queen around the house. So yes Dean is one of nature's third choices.

jimbopip

George Carlin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:36 am

jimbopip wrote:
RDW wrote:
Hazel Sapling wrote:

3rd? Behind who?

I think Hazel was jumbling his thoughts...you know , "He's at the Luvvies, he's third rate he's obviously third choice among his parents' children, third choice when picking a doubles pairing, third choice in the "Which two centres would you pay good money to watch" contest. You know... a Luvvie.

Don't take it personally, I'm trying to renew my AA breakdown cover without a 60% price hike. FES's secret crush Suella The Child Catcher has just explained she's not the worst Home Secretary this month it's all a perfectly reasonable response to the UK being invaded by Criminal Gangs disguised as 9 year old refugees. AND I finally got to see young Pipetto to play for my old cub on Saturday; he played 9 for the first 40, scored a try nd had a very good game. He swapped with a lad I've watched come through since under 7's and is now in the Sarries development squad. Pipetto went back on on the wing, they had a very fast lad who was destroying our winger. First time he picked up a loose ball Pipetto hared after him; cue loud twanging of his hamstring. We think it's just a strain/pull but he's doing the full drama queen around the house. So yes Dean is one of nature's third choices.

Laugh

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:52 am

I had Edinburgh's inside depth chart as 1) Lang 2) Hutchison 3) Dean based off of last season but RDW is right, Dean is ahead of Hutchison this year. Has Hutchison been injured?

Lang has started the bigger games over Dean so far for Edinburgh this year and started the lions share last year. Would keep him as the no.1 choice.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:47 am

Hazel Sapling wrote:I had Edinburgh's inside depth chart as 1) Lang 2) Hutchison 3) Dean based off of last season but RDW is right, Dean is ahead of Hutchison this year. Has Hutchison been injured?

Lang has started the bigger games over Dean so far for Edinburgh this year and started the lions share last year. Would keep him as the no.1 choice.

It's a close call but Dean on form. Both Dean and Lang would be well ahead of Glasgow's clear 3rd choice at 12, both on form and ability. Watching McDowall play makes me wish that Richie Vernon wasn't just slightly younger.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:47 am

https://glasgowwarriors.org/squad-update-6/

The long-awaited return of Shuggy seems imminent. Good timing with Tuipolotu in need of a break now for a week or two.

Sam Johnson does not seem to far away either, but no Cummings till the new year.

A few other niggles and a season ender for Piereto unfortunately but we don't look in to bad a place injury wise atm.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:00 am

Jones will be delighted - moves to Glasgow thinking he'll finally be first choice and Tuipolotu overtakes him in the Scotland pecking order!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:04 pm

The general was doing press yesterday and was playing it a bit cryptic about where exactly Shuggy will be playing when he eventually hits the pitch (it does not look like it is going to be this week). Saying you'll have to wait to find out.

He actually made a much bigger splash playing full back for Quins last season than he did at OC.

I suspect it will be at OC though, maybe with Sione moving back into 12, where he seems equally comfortable and is perhaps more likely to start for Scotland.

I guess we just need to get him on the pitch first though, which is not proving to be easy.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:43 pm

That's a good point. - if Sione is seen as the Scotland 12, he needs to be playing there for the Weege regularly

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:23 pm

The problem at Quins is that Marchant was the starting OC and FB was at least somewhat in the air.

At Glasgow, Ollie Smith is coming through and I suspect we could see Tuipulotu/Smith/Jones rotating between starting and being the 23

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:15 am

Jones plays 13 and Tuipolotu plays 12. I think Johnson is now cover.

Tuipolotu/Jones could well pair up for Scotland in the future. Do we need Harris with Tuipolotu providing defensive steel at 12?

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:42 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:The problem at Quins is that Marchant was the starting OC and FB was at least somewhat in the air.

Jones was used as cover at centre and fullback as required. The Quins normal fullback Green was injured for a spell so Jones got a run at fullback. OC was a tough position to crack at Quins with Marchant and Northmore both in the squad as well.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:00 pm

Forgot about Northmore. They had Esterhuizen as well so quite a bit of talent in the centres.

There is a tendency to downplay the incumbents but Johnson has been around for years by being consistently good. Defensively solid, good carrier and can run an excellent line. Can kick and distribute to some extent. He is slightly slow, not a dominant tackler and I am not sure about his work in the ruck (may be skewed through my memory of him competing with Alex Dunbar).

Tuipulotu and Jones will both have to play well to justify relegating him to second choice

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:42 am

Finn to Bath next season according to Scottish Thistle Podcast.

Not the worst move he could make, they do seem to be slowly improving.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:54 am

BigGee wrote:Finn to Bath next season according to Scottish Thistle Podcast.

Not the worst move he could make, they do seem to be slowly improving.

Poor Dancer, Crying or Very sad Paris was surely a disappointment after the beauty of Glasgow and now he's heading to a dump with nothing but old buildings to boast about.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:17 am

If you visit the actual Roman Baths, very fascinating, they will show you the old Roman habit of cursing people who had wronged you or you did not like.

They way they did it was to write the curse on a clay tablet and then to make it effective, chuck it into the bath.

You think Finn might be down there writing a few missives about Toonie?

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:41 am

Rotationum my arsium. Could be the SRU's new motto.
Which would keep FES happy. (A) because he is only ever comfortable in organisations which have opaque Latin mottoes, and (B) like all Tories he has made so many U turns lately he feels that could be a cabbie lost on the peripherique.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:07 am

That is amazing if he's going to Bath. I thought he may end up staying at Racing with Barrett playing at fullback rather than fly half but Bath would be a great club for Russell to join. From matches I've watched they have some serious forwards and backs but Russell would probably get a lot more out of them than the young Bailey currently is.

Russell-Redpath-Lawrence

That's going to be pretty deadly! And a massive plus for Scotland too if Redpath takes the 12 jersey.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:05 am

Bristol interested in him as well apparently, that might bid up his price.

Racing have offered to renew, but on a massively reduced contract, which they clearly know he is not going to accept.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:18 pm

Nah if he comes to bath that'd be looovely ta!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:19 pm

Bit surprised at Racing as Russell has been excellent for him. One of those Champions Cup finals was lost due to the SH and the only reason it was close was Russell pulling rabbits out of a hat. Maybe Toulon would have a closer look if the Biggar experiment does not work?

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:09 pm

Glasgow Warriors team to face Leinster at the RDS, Saturday 26 November, kick-off 3.15pm. You can watch the match live on Viaplay Sports 1, or follow all the action live on the @GlasgowWarriors Twitter account.

1. Oli Kebble (82)
2. Fraser Brown (128)
3. Murphy Walker (8)
4. Sintu Manjezi (6)
5. Alex Samuel (1)
6. Gregor Brown (9)
7. Sione Vailanu (2)
8. Jack Dempsey (25)

9. George Horne (84)
10. Tom Jordan (6)
11. Rufus McLean (23)
12. Stafford McDowall (40)
13. Kyle Steyn (C) (52)
14. Sebastian Cancelliere (14)
15. Josh McKay (18)

Replacements

16. Johnny Matthews (32)
17. Jamie Bhatti (72)
18. Simon Berghan (15)
19. JP du Preez (5)
20. Lewis Bean (20)
21. Euan Ferrie (1)
22. Jamie Dobie (37)
23. Ross Thompson (38)

Unavailable for selection: Scott Cummings (foot) Allan Dell (calf), Rory Darge (ankle), Cole Forbes (neck) Thomas Gordon (calf), Richie Gray (suspension), Sam Johnson (jaw), Nathan McBeth (head), Domingo Miotti (knee), Cameron Neild (head), Enrique Pieretto (chest), Duncan Weir (calf).

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:11 pm

Glasgow understandably resting quite a few. Hard to see us getting anything from this game in Dublin, but we definitely need a better performance than last time.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:46 pm

The backrow balance is non-existent, however the bench looks pretty decent. If we are within striking distance with 20 to go, there is enough there to make it a game.

Chances are we won't be but stranger things have happened

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:23 am

Blade Thomson playing for Scarlets tonight. Turnover and some good carries so far. He's still very much in the picture if he can build some form.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:03 pm

Honourable mention for Bradbury as well who is by all accounts playing very well for Bristol. Worth another look now he's playing well elsewhere. May have been the step he needed.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:21 am

Good win for Benetton against Edinburgh. Well deserved. I thought that was going to be another game wrecked by an early red card.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:30 am

Wales destroying Australia.

Shows how utterly knickers we really were against them in that first match.

Cowboy Dave really not earning his dingo dollars
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:53 am

tigertattie wrote:Wales destroying Australia.

Thats an Australia missing almost their entire first team. they weren't like that against us

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:10 am

Wow

Wales are more Scottish that Scotland
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:20 am

tigertattie wrote:Wales destroying Australia.

That aged well Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:24 am

https://twitter.com/Scotlandteam/status/1596554586893975554

I heard a rumour about this earlier and it seems the day we were all dreading has come along.

What an ambassador for rugby, sport, Scotland and MND he has been.

RIP Doddie, you will be very missed by your family and the rugby family in general.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:29 am

Such a loss. Absolutely great man.

Not that he’d care he should have been knighted. Did far far more for society than many a sportsperson who simply won at the game they played.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:16 am

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:31 am

https://www.ruck.co.uk/so-funny-faf-de-klerk-mocks-jonny-hill-mercilessly-after-baiting-lock/

GLove is now an England fan and pundit. I now see why he's not posted here in so long. Definitely hit the big time if you make it into a ruck article.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:11 pm

Finally brought myself to watch the Leinster Glasgow game last night. I did not feel in the mood following Doddie's passing on saturday, especially as i had seen the score!

It was a strange game in which Glasgow actually played much better than the scoreline suggests. The main difference being that Leinster were uttetly clinical with their chances and Glasgow completely wasteful with theirs.

A few players, Walker and Samuel in particular did have noticsbly good games.

Glasgow do still have an away from home block though, they are like chalk and cheese, awsy and home currently. Maybe next weekend in Parma, with a stronger team, might be the opportunity yo break that run.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:37 pm

Agreed Gee. I thought we were very predictable behind the scrum. It was all a bit Deja Vu, like watching the non-Finn AI's all over again, with Not A 10 as playmaker; missing kicks to touch, shovelling ball almost every time, allowing the defence to drift and smash the outside men...is Jordan the new Blarehorn? Has Hornito's ship sailed? We keep waiting for the game where he really bosses the match and looks like a top class 9... waiting for Godot methinks. The same might soon be said about Lord Stafford. Despite Vailanu stealing a couple at the breakdown we really missed a proper 7.

Still, we have Zebra away which should be a win and then a lovely trip to Baarf.

Will the General put out the 23 he fancies for Baarf against Zebra? Will we see Shug getting a run out? Miotti at 10? Will Big Ritchie be out of jail by the Baarf match?

Oh the worries.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:01 pm

I would really like Dobbie to get some starting minutes sometime soon, he is likely getting held back now.

The difference in passing speed and accuracy between him and Hornito is strikingly obvious. The amount of times the first receiver is taking the ball over his head from Horne's pass and that extra moment to catch and pass makes all the difference against a side like Leinster.

It would not surprise me to see the baton passed from Horne to Dobbie at so.e stage this season and i sm not quite sure where GH goes from here. He is a bit like Niko in thst respect. Utterly brilliant at times, but just does not quite have the nuts and bolts game of a international SH.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:35 pm

Agreed, again, Gee. But I think Dobbie's pass is a thing of beauty. Some years ago a team mate of mine pointed out that at international level when a flanker or centre finds themselves passing from the back of a ruck it looks like something you would see in Eastern Counties Division 6, such is the difference between a top class 9 and an "ordinary" international player. Whenever I see Dobbie I think the speed and smoothness of his pass makes most other 9s look pedestrian.
At the moment Aldi Price has a much better all round game. Hornito doesn't have Price's game management or Dobbie's pass. He needs to start, consistently, showing us just what he can bring to the team.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:26 pm

Fractured ankle for Ross Thompson last Saturday against Leinster. Going to be out for a while.

Maybe we will finally see Miotti get a run at FH for us.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:41 pm

Warriors' side for tomorrow:
Kebble
Chuckles
Ragnar
Big Ritchie
Big Man Jessie
Batman
Matt F
Vailanu
Hornito
Jordan
Seaman
Lord Stafford
Shona
Cancel culture
Smith

Bench; Bhatti, Matthews, Walker, Du Preez, Bean,Brown Dobbie, Miotti.

A 6-2 split. No Aldi Price or Huw Jones. I think they should beat Zebre and I'm imagining that most of them will be in the 23 for Bath.Vailanu could be the biggest 7 Glasgow have ever selected. If he stood beside Darge and Gordon he'd be as out of place as FES at a SWP Eat The Rich rally.
I shall be taking MrsPip up the Bell tower in Ely Cathedral tomorrow so will have to wait until Monday to watch Batman spread the Christmas spirit. Buon natale ya bass is how I imagine it!

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:46 am

Three interesting names in the Zebre 23.
Matt Kvesic
Geronimo Prisciantelli
And....
Franco Smith junior.
You know Batman will batter the General's boy given half a chance.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:02 am

Glasgow have gone in pretty much fully loaded

Clearly feel the need to get this away form monkey off their backs!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:28 am

jimbopip wrote:

I shall be taking MrsPip up the Bell tower in Ely Cathedral tomorrow so will  have to wait until Monday to  watch Batman spread the Christmas spirit.  Buon natale ya bass is how I imagine it!

Enjoy Ely Jim and hope it is a bit warmer than today, I just rode my new bike back from central London and it is baltic out there.

I had my Open University Graduation ceremony in Ely Cathedral, so it is a place I think fondly of even if I have not been back there in 30 years plus

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:25 am

Cracking game in Edinburgh tonight.

Edinburgh leading at HT but anyones game

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:47 am

All going Munsters way now

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:50 am

I'm actually able to watch the rest of the game live now given it's a Friday night.

I'm sure Edinburgh won't let me down...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:52 am

And so far they are! Munster are looking good but we are fully loaded and should be taking control of this.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:54 am

Been one way traffic this second half

Bit dissapointing from Edinburgh

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 21 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next