The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England's Summer of Cricket 2022 as Joe Root Steps Down

+16
msp83
Lowlandbrit
Mind the windows Tino.
kingraf
James100
dummy_half
Soul Requiem
Galted
JDizzle
Good Golly I'm Olly
guildfordbat
VTR
Duty281
king_carlos
alfie
KP_fan
20 posters

Page 18 of 19 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Go down

England's Summer of Cricket 2022 as Joe Root Steps Down - Page 18 Empty England's Summer of Cricket 2022 as Joe Root Steps Down

Post by KP_fan Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:35 am

First topic message reminder :

Duty281 wrote:What do we think of the future of ODI cricket as a whole, because its demise is once again being discussed?

Wasim Akram thinks ODI cricket should be put out of its misery; Mark Ramprakash says that Stokes' ODI retirement could be the beginning of the end for ODI cricket; but Ravi Shastri says there should be fewer T20Is.

My view is that ODI cricket should stay, and it's T20i cricket that should be abolished. T20 should remain franchise/domestic only. No need for a T20 World Cup when the IPL and such exists. If T20i cricket does stay, I think there should be no three format players, only two formats maximum. I'd be very disappointed if 50-over cricket died on an international basis.  

No format will die as long as they are generating revenues.
And much as I used to call them Meaningless-Masala-ODIs, these games as well as meaningless T20Is generate more revenue then tests.
Instead of 5 to 7 ODIs per series earlier...now limited over series comprise of 3+3.
Test Matches, "The Premium Form" of the game per purists ( including me) is still the commercially subsidized format of the game.
Now the defeats in ODIs/T20Is don't hurt as much, nor are wins remembered for long, only World Cups stay in memory.
But the international games generate high viewership rating & expensive advertisements (atleast on Indian TV)

As I wrote on the Ind-WI thread, the Indians have stopped complaining about too much cricket.
BCCI has found peace by putting out as many as 2 and a half to 3 squads now...call them Senior (or premium) and A and B squads for international games.
Ensuring prime stars get plenty of rest / rotation......and the pool of contracted players gets bigger and everyone gets full contracted fee, playing lesser games
Recently we have seen 2 Indian series running concurrently and twice VVSL has been India's national coach for a series when Dravid was with another Indian squad at the same time in another series.

If a marquee player Stokes was under BCCI management.....BCCI would have NEVER let him retire, would have done a sweet deal with him guaranteeing his workload across formats and asking him to appear for a very limited number of ODIs and T20Is and also letting him skip B grade test series.

No format will die since even these meaningless ODI&T20Is are indeed generating revenues, that are essential to subsidize tests and pump into FC, junior and women cricket development
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

England's Summer of Cricket 2022 as Joe Root Steps Down - Page 18 Empty Re: England's Summer of Cricket 2022 as Joe Root Steps Down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:32 am

England cantering to a win tonight - Phil Salt making his case for making that World Cup first XI, with a superb knock

According to Cricviz, he has the highest T20I Powerplay strike rate (170) for any Full Member nation player (min 50 balls). If you want someone to play the “Roy” role, he’s the man
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

England's Summer of Cricket 2022 as Joe Root Steps Down - Page 18 Empty Re: England's Summer of Cricket 2022 as Joe Root Steps Down

Post by Duty281 Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:32 am

Phil Salt is making a powerful case for inclusion over Hales in the 6th T20, with England looking like levelling it at 3-3.

At least I think it's going to be 3-3, I've almost lost count.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:41 am

Calling this an "emphatic" win...

Salt has had a lovely time out there...just a slight pity there weren't enough runs for him to cap it with a century.

Not that Hales didn't do a useful job blazing away early... But an innings like this has to have Salt right in the mix for WC selection. Nice problem to have...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:20 am

Some talk on the not at all reactionary BBC text page about having Salt to open and Hales at 3.

Not for me, Clive. It's one or the other and, at this juncture, I prefer Salt, particularly with Hales' fielding lapses. Don't know when Buttler's coming back, but one game left in this series, then the three-match series in Aus v Aus.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:22 am

Duty281 wrote:Some talk on the not at all reactionary BBC text page about having Salt to open and Hales at 3.

Not for me, Clive. It's one or the other and, at this juncture, I prefer Salt, particularly with Hales' fielding lapses. Don't know when Buttler's coming back, but one game left in this series, then the three-match series in Aus v Aus.

Salt probably edges it for me too - he's more suited to a Roy-type role than Hales, might just be better than him...and I think the X Factor is he can keep, and I really do think Buttler would be better served being out in the field for both captaincy purposes, but also he is an #elite fielder and sans Bairstow, England actually could do with another one to patrol the boundaries.

It's not the most crucial thing, but from a predicted first XI you have Malan, Moeen, Rashid, Topley and Wood, all of whom I would not class as great fielders (they are fine in the circle at short fine, short third, cover etc), especially wouldn't like to see them at crucial deep boundary positions. Just something to note - with Roy out the side, Bairstow injured, Jordan potentially not in the XI...that is a lot of high level fielding gone from last years XI.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:22 pm

The fielding may well be a vital factor on the big Australian grounds...

Appreciate Olly's point re the possibility of Salt taking the gloves ; but not sure Jos would really want to be captaining the side and fielding in the deep ? Yes , it relieves him of some extra pressures ; but he's been accustomed to the role for a while , and I wonder if he wouldn't prefer to remain in the central position for control purposes...guess you'd have to ask him .

Do feel Hales' fielding is a bit of a mark against him ; though on the other hand his good record in short form cricket in Australia is always going to be taken into account to boost his batting credentials. Could well be we see both at some point in Australia ?

Bowling was encouraging. A few options there - even if none of them are exactly consistent. Should we be concerned about Rashid getting mauled twice in succession ? Still reckon he is a bit of a key in any conditions.

Good that this series is going to a decider on Sunday , and no doubt both camps will go with their "A" team so should be both competitive and perhaps instructive - although England in particular have a number of presumed automatic starters still absent injured so maybe not...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:26 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
Duty281 wrote:Some talk on the not at all reactionary BBC text page about having Salt to open and Hales at 3.

Salt probably edges it for me too - he's more suited to a Roy-type role than Hales, might just be better than him...and I think the X Factor is he can keep, and I really do think Buttler would be better served being out in the field for both captaincy purposes, but also he is an #elite fielder and sans Bairstow, England actually could do with another one to patrol the boundaries.

It's not the most crucial thing, but from a predicted first XI you have Malan, Moeen, Rashid, Topley and Wood, all of whom I would not class as great fielders (they are fine in the circle at short fine, short third, cover etc), especially wouldn't like to see them at crucial deep boundary positions. Just something to note - with Roy out the side, Bairstow injured, Jordan potentially not in the XI...that is a lot of high level fielding gone from last years XI.
Morgan whilst obviously past it with the bat was still a very good fielder too. He fielded almost entirely in the ring but was fantastic in there. Cut off a lot of runs from cover and midwicket.

An issue with the white ball side getting "sneakily old" perhaps as you put it just before the last World T20, Olly.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:00 am

Any danger of some acceleration please Dawid
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:05 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Any danger of some acceleration please Dawid

4, 6 in the three balls after this - thanks for listening
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:07 am

Pakistan's fielding is really quite bad haha
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:20 am

Brook ends the series as England's top run scorer, impressive feat batting at 5!

237 runs at an average 79 and a strike rate of 163

42*(25)
31(19)
81*(35)
34(29)
4(9)
DNB
46*(29)
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:39 am

Babar and Rizwan gone in the first 7 balls of the reply chasing 210. Their middle order gets the chance to show what they're made of again!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:48 am

Iftikhar dropped off his own bowling by Willey - went miles in the air but should have taken it easily. Fielding on both sides this series has been far from ideal
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:09 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Iftikhar dropped off his own bowling by Willey - went miles in the air but should have taken it easily. Fielding on both sides this series has been far from ideal

That one didn't cost much anyway...

Rather looks as if this game is as good as over already. Though I suppose funny things can happen in t20...would take an extraordinary batting effort for Pakistan from here. Seems even Moeen is not afraid to bowl himself tonight Wink

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:30 am

Good legside catch by Salt but what I liked most of all was his certainty and insistence on reviewing for the wicket. Watching, Ben?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:04 am

Comfortable England win to take the series that looked like it would never end. 

Solid team performance. All 5 batsmen getting into double figures and going on to some extent - Malan leading the way with an undefeated 78 off 47. Helped by some attrocious Pakistan fielding, the one honourable exception being a fine run out (unlucky not to be adjudged a stumping) by Rizwan to dismiss Duckett. Rauf the most economical and unluckiest of the home bowlers.

All England bowlers getting something in the end column apart from Moeen who sent down just the one tidy over (0/5). Woakes picked up a threefer.

I missed the start so don't know the latest on the absent Buttler and Wood.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:35 am

Wood was simply they didn't want to risk him - they pretty much said he will play the game vs Australia next Sunday. Buttler similar I think
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:25 am

1.Buttler (c)
2.Salt (wk)
3.Malan
4.Stokes
5.Brook
6.Livingstone
7.Moeen
8.Woakes
9.Rashid
10.Wood
11.Topley

I can't see past the gospel of Olly, chapter 1, Psalm 2 at the moment for the main event. Batter heavy, Buttler outfielding.

It means relying on Livingstone, Mo and Stokes for at least 4 overs between them. It's not ideal but in Jof and YJBs absence the best not ideal we have in my opinion.

The bowling lacks flexibility but I don't really see a better route. Basically feels it's relying on Topley to top and tail with 2 in the PP, two at the death. It's a lot of pressure but he's been bowling well to be fair.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:22 pm

king_carlos wrote:1.Buttler (c)
2.Salt (wk)
3.Malan
4.Stokes
5.Brook
6.Livingstone
7.Moeen
8.Woakes
9.Rashid
10.Wood
11.Topley

I can't see past the gospel of Olly, chapter 1, Psalm 2 at the moment for the main event. Batter heavy, Buttler outfielding.

It means relying on Livingstone, Mo and Stokes for at least 4 overs between them. It's not ideal but in Jof and YJBs absence the best not ideal we have in my opinion.

The bowling lacks flexibility but I don't really see a better route. Basically feels it's relying on Topley to top and tail with 2 in the PP, two at the death. It's a lot of pressure but he's been bowling well to be fair.

Yeah don't think that is too far off...possible they could include Curran instead of Livingstone , who is still not fit apparently so is going to be "undercooked" at best. And I guess the Salt/Hales choice isn't set in stone : depends how much notice you take of BBL form ...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:27 pm

king_carlos wrote:1.Buttler (c)
2.Salt (wk)
3.Malan
4.Stokes
5.Brook
6.Livingstone
7.Moeen
8.Woakes
9.Rashid
10.Wood
11.Topley

He hath seen the light Very Happy

Think I would agree, bar I'd have Jordan in for Woakes I think - in light of your comments re: Topley top and tailing, I'd like to have another death option in there (unless they're going to give Stokes some death overs?). But I think that number 8 spot is very flexible and you just go with whoever is playing best between Woakes/Willey/Jordan tbh.
As you say - a lot of pressure on Topley, and also really a lot of pressure on Wood - both to perform well, but also two players with questionable injury records to hold up for the whole tournament!

Alfie you are right on Livingstone's fitness - didn't realise it was quite the concern it appears it might be. Guess you'd have to bring Curran in for him if he cannot play!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:25 pm

I agree that England should go top-heavy with the batting. Bowling is going to be quite weak no matter what, especially with Rashid's struggle for form, Woakes' struggles overseas, and Wood's propensity for injury. If batting first, England should be aiming constantly to break the 200 barrier.

We should get a better idea of what's possible with this three-game series v Australia which, by the way, will be on BT, not Sky, for UK viewers.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:13 pm

Well after all those matches in Pakistan I actually feel slightly better about England's chances at the WC : was a mixed bag ; but enough good performances (considering a number of regular players were missing) to suggest the squad might be one of the better ones for the tournament.
Can't do anything about those missing - and one hopes that Buttler , Jordan and Livingstone are indeed all fully fit in time as is being assumed ; but reserve strength seems to be reasonable. The one selection that puzzles me is Mills as a travelling reserve : he's not been playing at all ; and the squad already has six pace bowlers plus Gleeson in the spares so wouldn't that spot be better used for Duckett as middle order batting cover ? Minor point I guess...

As to the preferred XI I suspect we might see some rotation (surely Wood won't play all games ?) and even possible balance adjustment between 6 or 7 bats depending on opponents and conditions.  And despite the attractions of Salt as keeper I think England are signalling that Jos will have the gloves as long as he is fit. Probably still 50/50 Hales or Salt for the opener role , while Brook looks to have nailed down a starting spot.

Couldn't be as optimistic for Pakistan though , on these showings. Two excellent opening bats - but it really falls away from there . And although they also can produce some incisive bowling I don't see any combination of bowlers that you would be relying on overall with any consistency. As for the fielding - well maybe I just managed to watch at the wrong times - but the word that came to mind was "village".
Always a bit risky writing Pakistan off but I honestly reckon they are just making up the numbers in Australia this time.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:40 pm

If Afridi can return at full pelt for Pakistan he will improve their side immeasurably. For a side batting in that anchor style aiming for 'par scores' rather than massive ones then backing their bowling to deliver having the most dangerous PP bowler in T20 cricket is essential. Sides can take him on and risk losing quick wickets up top or 'see him out' which immediately prevents maximising the fielding restrictions.

The latter is what happened with Bhuvi at his best in the IPL. His average at one point on the surface seemed to have got worse but in reality he was almost exclusively bowling his overs in the PP or death with an exceptional economy as teams were just trying not to lose wickets against him. Similar happens with how teams plan for Rashid Khan but being Rashid Khan he still takes bags of wickets whilst sides play him out!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Jetty Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:33 am

Duty281 wrote:I agree that England should go top-heavy with the batting. Bowling is going to be quite weak no matter what, especially with Rashid's struggle for form, Woakes' struggles overseas, and Wood's propensity for injury. If batting first, England should be aiming constantly to break the 200 barrier.

We should get a better idea of what's possible with this three-game series v Australia which, by the way, will be on BT, not Sky, for UK viewers.

Woakes is fine away from home with the white ball but hasn't had many T20 games, and only 2 in Australia.
My fast bowling would be Wood and Topley opening the bowling with Curran and Jordan. Jordan has improved since his bicep op. Faster and more accurate and has experience at the death.

Jetty

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:39 am

I think Stokes will come back into the side but also don't feel that it will be warranted. I don't think he's anywhere near being a great or even very good T20 player. Unless the plan is to get him death bowling again Shocked

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:28 am

Evaluating Stokes as a T20 player is difficult as T20 stats should never be taken at face value. T20i stats especially are basically meaningless due to how futile most bilateral T20 series are. Due to playing all formats his T20 career has been sporadic and stop-start.

Usually I try to look at how players perform in the tougher leagues. In the IPL Stokes had two stronger seasons (2017 very strong when you factor batting and bowling) and two weak seasons with a 5th where he only played 1 game. 2 IPL centuries is not to be sniffed at though.

As a bowler Stokes has never mastered the white ball whether in T20 or ODI. He frequently struggles to control it hence the high economy across all white ball cricket both domestic and international. Realistically he's a matchup bowler in T20. If a batter struggles to hit back of a length but smokes spin then Stokes is a very usual option to put it in their ribs during the middle overs.

If Bairstow were fit and Roy hadn't fallen off a cliff it would be a different discussion but I'd have Stokes there on merit rather than reputation given YJB and Roy's absences. If as expect Malan and Stokes are at 3 and 4 there's definitely an argument that Livingstone or Brook should be coming in ahead of Stokes in certain circumstances rather than having Malan and Stokes in partnership.

His fielding certainly helps as well given previous discussions about this side not being what it once was in that area.

king_carlos

alfie and James100 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:33 am

According to the Telegraph, England are optimistic about Archer's chances of returning soon:

"England are cautiously optimistic that the South Africa series [three match ODI series in January] could mark Jofra Archer’s return to international cricket for the first time in almost two years. He is back bowling after a stress fracture of the elbow, and then a stress fracture of the back, and will join the Test squad on a camp in Abu Dhabi next month. He will not, though, be ready for the three-Test tour of Pakistan in December."

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:50 am

Wonderful news on Jof. One of my favourite cricketers to watch.

Meanwhile YJBs description of his injury actually sounds horrendous.

Auntie Beeb wrote:"Normally when you slip you fall on your bum, which would have been fine as there's plenty of cushion in there," he told the Telegraph.

"Except this time I tried to regain my balance, my left ankle turned right, dislocated and my weight went through my left lower leg. I heard it snap straight away.

"I took a couple of steps down then slipped. By the time I crumpled into a heap, I was three-quarters of the way down. It's all a blur, it happened so quickly.

"I yelped. Uncontrollable screams, the sort you hear on a rugby field. The adrenaline kicked in, and I knew I needed an ambulance. The next three hours without painkillers were not too fun."

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:31 pm

Yes nice to hear some optimism re Archer - though after all the repeated new delays I will wait to see him actually take the field again before rejoicing ! If he can get through an ODI series in January that would be really encouraging for the 50 over WC : I am a bit less confident about his Test prospects but think he is more important to the limited over outfit anyway.

The YJB injury doesn't sound like fun ! Who knew golf was such a dangerous sport ? Hopefully he will be OK and back on deck for the northern summer.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:12 am

Think we probably should re-name this thread or the next one to simply "English cricket thread" as we move into the winter moves down our way!

In light of that The Times is reporting that England will call up Will Jacks to the test squad for the series in Pakistan. My Will Jacks agenda is working, but in the wrong format!
I would have reservations if they're asking him to be a second spinner on a dustbowl, really not sure his bowling, while improved, is near the standard required. Hoping this is alongside Dawson, and they pick one of those two?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:35 am

From seeing both bowl I'd definitely say Root is the better offie than Jacks so would be a big surprise if he was being considered for that role!

Maybe they fancy Jacks as a player of spin? Pakistan pitches will likely be flat rather than dust bowls but will turn later on. From what I've briefly seen of both I'd say that Jamie Smith to me seems the better red ball prospect for instance but haven't seen enough of either in red ball to comment on how they play spin.

I've said it a few times but I still think Ben Duckett was dumped a bit early as a Test player.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:49 am

king_carlos wrote:

I've said it a few times but I still think Ben Duckett was dumped a bit early as a Test player.

He was but partly because of his lack of runs and partly because he had the attitude of a 12 year old. If you've got that, you need to be scoring a lot of runs. He wasn't, so gets hooked.

But I suspect he has matured and probably deserves another shot. Or at least to join the queue with Brooks and Jacks etc etc.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:18 pm

Won't be at all surprised to see Duckett in the Test Squad for Pakistan. Probably need a couple of alternates for the batting on that trip , given the questions that remain over most of the incumbents.

I saw an article in the other day re Jacks and his own intention to work on his bowling as a second strength with an eye to pushing his England credentials : seems a little premature to be actually calling him up now though. Suppose with the always slightly silly suggestion of having Moeen return as a reluctant spinning all rounder option now properly squashed there is something of a void in that area : but I tend to believe they'd be better to pick specialists batting and bowling rather than try to pull a rabbit out of the hat.

Will be interesting to see just who they do take to Pakistan . Different conditions : I wonder how much weight McCullum likes to give to horses for courses theories ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:42 pm

The negotiating over the reforms to English domestic cricket is in full swing. According to the Telegraph some key modifications have been made already:

1) Original idea was 10 regular county champ games a season, a reduction from 14, this is now 12.
2) Original idea was two feeder divisions to the top tier (top division; 2a and 2b), this is now three separate divisions (1, 2 and 3).
3) A play-off to determine relegation from the top flight, and promotion from division two.
4) Original idea was 10 regular T20 Blast games, this is now likely to be 12.

These modifications were made because the original proposals only had the support of around 6 counties and the ECB needed 12. The vote is scheduled to happen on the 20th of October.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:49 am

1&4 I get, 3 sort of (but places a lot of faith in September weather), don't see what 2 does.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:03 am

Apparently counties were worried about being stagnant in the second tier. Under the previous plans one team would be relegated from the six-team first division, but equally only one team from the twelve-team second division would be promoted, so a lot of counties would just be stuck in the second tier for evermore.

With three tiers it'll be more fluid. One down from Division One and one up from Division Two remains, but also two down and two up from Division Two and Three respectively, which gives the lesser counties more to play for. That's the argument anyway.

If the idea of 12 county games a season remains then there'll hardly be a reduction in four-day games, which was Strauss' intended aim. Some counties will play 13 games once you include the play-off, and if you add in the three games played over the festival month, plus the north v south pre-season game or games, then some players may end up getting upwards of 16 red-ball games a season. An increase!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:45 am

The 2 a/b idea still seems better to me. Shuffle them a bit each year and/or have 2v2, 3v3 etc. along with the playoff to keep it interesting. Would think (hope) the extra games would be in place of the 'festival' ones, not added on.

Lowlandbrit

alfie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:33 am

Yeah, I'm not sure about the status of the festival games. One of the reasons for doing it was because Strauss didn't want red-ball players to be sitting around with their feet up during August. As there still aren't going to be red-ball games in August, even if there are 12 matches in the season, this reason remains valid.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:10 am

First T20 between England and Australia starts tomorrow (if you're in England). England set to go full strength, meaning Buttler, Stokes and Wood should all feature, and it might also be the clearest indication of whether Hales or Salt will be starting at the World Cup. Australia are missing all of Hazlewood/Cummins/Starc/Maxwell, plus Smith may be rested.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:36 pm

Duty281 wrote:First T20 between England and Australia starts tomorrow (if you're in England). England set to go full strength, meaning Buttler, Stokes and Wood should all feature, and it might also be the clearest indication of whether Hales or Salt will be starting at the World Cup. Australia are missing all of Hazlewood/Cummins/Starc/Maxwell, plus Smith may be rested.

The feeling in media here is that Smith is more likely to be "dropped" rather than "rested". He is no longer seen as a must have selection in t20 and may well miss out on the XI for the WC - depending of course on injuries/other bats' form/results.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:13 pm

One over in and completely fed up of the Aussie comms already. His name is not Josh for christ sake!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:24 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:One over in and completely fed up of the Aussie comms already. His name is not Josh for christ sake!

So we are continuing this thread for these games , are we ? I had already tried posting on the WC thread but if you're here , Ollly , I'd better move onto this one too...

Bright enough start for Jos , eh ? And interesting to see Hales getting first chance at the other spot rather than Salt. Wonder if they will vary over these "warm up" games ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:33 pm

Amusing that Jos was saying in recent interviews that he'd changed his approach to one of having a bit of a look to get settled rather than going nuts from the start...

If this is his idea of a quiet start we may be in for some fireworks on these pitches ! Hales isn't messing about either.

58 in six overs...though Jos had a little bit of fortune there : nearly a great catch by Mitch Marsh.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:51 pm

Fifty each inside ten overs : very bright start !

Of course this is very much the Australian "B" attack as all the main bowlers for the WC are sitting this one out. But a useful confidence booster for these two you'd think.

118/0 off ten ...wonder what this is going to end up ?

Last edited by alfie on Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:21 pm

Looks like Hales' place alongside Buttler is now confirmed with that knock of 84 from 51, albeit against Australia's second-string attack.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:34 pm

Went off for a bit and missed the latter part of that England innings...seems it fizzled out a bit after that opening stand. Stokes did look rusty. Ellis apparently bowled well right through his spell and that total is OK but not what it might have been.

Decent pp for Australia , Warner going well. Could be close , this one.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:50 pm

Despite the good start , still a tough task for Australia : need another 130 off twelve. Wood gone round the park a bit ; but Curran has been good.

Here's Rashid...

With instant results ! Hit for six but two balls later he's done for Marsh... 86/2

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:32 am

Some more leaks re: Englands likely test squad to Pakistan, this time via Tim Wigmore in the Telegraph.

Sam Curran, Will Jacks, Olly Stone all in line for call ups, England looking to put together a “varied” attack. Ben Duckett is “almost a certainty” to be called up, maybe in place of Lees and Jennings is in contention too
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:54 pm

England Annual Central Contracts:

Moeen Ali (Warwickshire)
James Anderson (Lancashire)
Jofra Archer (Sussex)
Jonathan Bairstow (Yorkshire)
Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire)
Jos Buttler (Lancashire)
Zak Crawley (Kent)
Sam Curran (Surrey)
Ben Foakes (Surrey)
Jack Leach (Somerset)
Liam Livingstone (Lancashire)
Ollie Pope (Surrey)
Adil Rashid (Yorkshire)
Ollie Robinson (Sussex)
Joe Root (Yorkshire)
Ben Stokes (Durham)
Chris Woakes (Warwickshire)
Mark Wood (Durham)

England Increment Contracts:

Harry Brook (Yorkshire)
Dawid Malan (Yorkshire)
Matthew Potts (Durham)
Jason Roy (Surrey)
Reece Topley (Surrey)
David Willey (Northamptonshire from 1 Nov 22)

England Pace Bowling Development Contracts:

Brydon Carse (Durham)
Matthew Fisher (Yorkshire)
Saqib Mahmood (Lancashire)
Craig Overton (Somerset)
Jamie Overton (Surrey)
Olly Stone (Nottinghamshire from 1 Nov 22)

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:55 pm

JDizzle wrote:England Annual Central Contracts:

Moeen Ali (Warwickshire)
James Anderson (Lancashire)
Jofra Archer (Sussex)
Jonathan Bairstow (Yorkshire)
Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire)
Jos Buttler (Lancashire)
Zak Crawley (Kent)
Sam Curran (Surrey)
Ben Foakes (Surrey)
Jack Leach (Somerset)
Liam Livingstone (Lancashire)
Ollie Pope (Surrey)
Adil Rashid (Yorkshire)
Ollie Robinson (Sussex)
Joe Root (Yorkshire)
Ben Stokes (Durham)
Chris Woakes (Warwickshire)
Mark Wood (Durham)

England Increment Contracts:

Harry Brook (Yorkshire)
Dawid Malan (Yorkshire)
Matthew Potts (Durham)
Jason Roy (Surrey)
Reece Topley (Surrey)
David Willey (Northamptonshire from 1 Nov 22)

England Pace Bowling Development Contracts:

Brydon Carse (Durham)
Matthew Fisher (Yorkshire)
Saqib Mahmood (Lancashire)
Craig Overton (Somerset)
Jamie Overton (Surrey)
Olly Stone (Nottinghamshire from 1 Nov 22)

Guess the big story is no Lees - so looks like, as Olly says above, it will be Jennings/Duckett for Pakistan.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 19 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19  Next