The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Road cycling in UK

3 posters

Go down

Road cycling in UK Empty Road cycling in UK

Post by mountain man Fri 23 Sep 2022, 11:23 am

How many here are road cyclists? Question I have is about close passes etc. I live in a quiet rural/coastal area but I'd say I get a dangerous close pass at least once a week, often more. I'd hate to ride in a busy city, some of the clips on Youtube are mental.
Anyway, these days I record all my rides on a Gopro fixed to bike and any dangerous driving etc I send in to Operation Snap. Out of around 20 clips I've sent in only one was deemed no action(I've only been recording rides last few months).
It doesn't prevent some moron killing me but a bit of justice quite nice and maybe in time motorists wil finally get message to be careful around vunerable road users.
For clarity, I also drive a car so see both sides and yes there are morons on bikes as well but they are usually a danger to themselves.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Road cycling in UK Empty Re: Road cycling in UK

Post by mountain man Tue 13 Jun 2023, 11:55 am

A thread all to myself, excellent.

Anyway, planned to get out for 60+miles this morning but far too hot. Hit 29C by 10:00 on one climb!
Did 36miles and glad to be home again.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Thu 15 Jun 2023, 11:55 am

Another hot one and the usual homicidal motorists.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Thu 29 Jun 2023, 5:23 pm

After a couple of days of much needed rain for my garden, a lovely day so headed out to climb some local hills.
Most enjoyable especially as listening to TMS on the ear phones.
Can't beat it.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Tue 07 Nov 2023, 10:03 am

Just back after a week in Mallorca doing some bucket list rides, Cap de Formentor, Sa Calobra etc. Simply awesome!

mountain man

formerly known as Sam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Azabache Fri 01 Dec 2023, 11:33 pm

Apologies-have just spotted this thread.....I do a training ride twice a week-averaging 30 to 40KM in the winter, then increase from Spring and also do a few sportives in my area (Surrey Hills)-I like long ones-166KM/100mls-and as hilly as possible! When I worked I regularly (av. 3/4 days a week) did a 16KM each way ride on dangerous roads in south London; having retired three years ago the training days are the main activity, though I'm on a bike most days-don't drive much.

I've also done 17 Etapes since 2004, a Marmotte and a Maratona. I LIKE mountains, am less effective churning out a big gear on long flats.

Agree with your comments about motorists. In my experience it's the cars that will get you-they are so careless, and can get quite aggressive even when they are in the wrong. "Professional" drivers in lorries, vans are usually OK, unless you do something silly like going up the inside when they're turning left. COURTESY IS IMPORTANT, EYE CONTACT, THANK-YOUS and SMILING! I had a fairly charmed life until a car driver got me in February this year-he slowed at Give Way lines on a big roundabout, then drove out into my left side as I was going round. Result-3+ fractured ribs, damaged shoulder, bruised hip, left side of face inc. eye black 'n' blue, head injury...I was incapacitated for 2 months, couldn't drive, needed help to get in/out of bed....but was back on my garage exercise bike after 2 weeks and back on the road by May, did two big sportives in May and the Etape in July. Still have shoulder ache/pain, but was very lucky (was on an old bike, just gone out for 20 minutes, no helmet!).

Have a Claims co, acting for me-have had CT and MRI scans, X-rays, two consultations-doubt it'll be settled before year end-these things drag on and on. Am claiming for a replacement bike-minimal cost-the other party are lucky I wasn't on one of my Colnagos-no idea what I'm going to get for the injuries, or the total amount, but it's "free money" so to speak.

Be safe (but they will "get" you at some point)!

Azabache

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sun 03 Dec 2023, 8:49 am

Finally someone else actually rides! During TdF a lot post on threads there so I assumed must be cyclists but seems not.

Same as you I like hills/mountains, well I say like it's a case of needs must given it's not flat where I live and ride.

As for the cars, yep it's not good. As I mentioned previously I live in a quiet area yet I get a close pass on average once a week at least.
I tend to ride 3 times a week, only use turbo if I absolutely cannot get outside due to horrendous weather.
I'm definitely courteous to drivers who respect me and my safety, shame so many are not.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 03 Dec 2023, 9:23 am

I do ride but it's difficult this time of year. Cycle my daughter to school but otherwise the nights are to dark and weekends don't offer a lot of opportunity what with sports clubs and kids parties.

Managed a Gravel X sportive in March (amidst the snow and mud), a back injury put paid to the hope of a summer sportive but I did manage one in September in the Cotswolds with a friend who was doing his first. Great day out.

I prefer the terrain rolling as opposed to outright hilly as I weigh in closer to 90kg than 80kg. Looking forward to a few more sportives next year.

Drivers are a nightmare but generally seem to be better than they used to be. Vans are lethal round here as they always seem to be in a rush. Thankfully only been taken off the bike once coming home from work and it was the front wheel take out by a distracted driver with the backpack and helmet saving me.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sun 03 Dec 2023, 10:38 am

Regarding close passes etc, get a camera and record your rides and submit any dangerous incidents to Operation Snap. All police areas have a link for it, just google Operation Snap.

Over last 12months riding on average 3 times a week I submit at least 1 clip a week and out of around 40(yes really) submitted all but 2 were acted on by the police. This is a quiet rural/coastal area which is nuts really but goes to show the issue with drivers is still there.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Azabache Sun 03 Dec 2023, 11:13 pm

I had work colleagues who wore cameras, but I've always resisted going that route. One chap I well recall was always getting into scraps with motorists-every time I met him parking our bikes at the works' racks he recounted the latest incident. I always suspected that he went out almost looking for "aggro" (he was a rather aggressive fellow).

I'm not suggesting that present company fall into that category!

Azabache

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Mon 04 Dec 2023, 8:26 am

I have GoPro mounted on bike so it's not on my helmet etc (which apart from being top heavy looks really bad I think). Most of close passes I've experienced the car has passed me and gone so no opportunity to confront driver even if I wanted to. There have been occasions when I've caught up with car due to traffic lights etc but it's far better to resist temptation to call out driver as that can lead to a potentially violent incident. I've certainly been known to swear at driver as they go past and gesticulate shall we say! That's hard to resist sometimes.
Far better to just record it and submit clip to Op Snap.

There's no question there are d*ckheads who ride bikes, we've all seen them, jumping red lights, riding on pavements, weaving dangerously through busy traffic cutting up cars etc. It's human nature, there will always be idiots using every kind of transport. The difference is if I cycle like a clown I'm more likely to injury/kill myself whereas a bad driver likely to kill someone else.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Azabache Mon 04 Dec 2023, 9:58 pm

Yes-in essence, we are so vulnerable that if we thought too much about it we'd never leave home!

Azabache

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 04 Dec 2023, 10:12 pm

Azabache wrote:Yes-in essence, we are so vulnerable that if we thought too much about it we'd never leave home!

If you spent your life worrying like that you'd never do anything.

The positive impact of exercise on your mental and physical health hugely outweighs the minor risks associated with leaving the house.

I definitely need to enter some sort of event for next year to motivate training through this cold winter though.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Azabache Mon 04 Dec 2023, 10:24 pm

"UK Cycling Events" advertised their 2024 sportives back in October-there used to be much more choice, but I think the Covid years put the kibosh on many organisations. There are, however, many local ones run by clubs, charities....

Azabache

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 05 Dec 2023, 7:32 am

There's talk amongst some of the people I work with of doing a Triathlon in May. Gravel X have got a couple of fun looking rides out of Bakewell in mid June which might be nice, I did one of theirs in March this year which was a good event though the weather was less than favourable (snow all week), I'd like to have a go with something warmer.

Just need a long sportive around the Midlands sometime as well.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Tue 05 Dec 2023, 8:48 am

I do a couple of sportives a year which are fun but mostly I ride on own or with club on Saturdays. Motivation has rarely been an issue for me with regards getting out and doing sport, even in crappy weather. Decades of surfing through British winters has made sure of that! Biggest issue though is on a road bike with skinny tyres in winter on pot holed, wet, leaf strewn roads can be dodgy let alone the homicidal drivers.

As it happens today is looking half decent weather wise so I'm planning on a ride, no great shakes probably 25-30miles with a few climbs thrown in.

Anyway, shortest day in a couple weeks then only a few months until spring! Ha, have to stay positive.   Road cycling in UK 1f600

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Azabache Tue 05 Dec 2023, 10:50 pm

It was so vile here in Surrey I again just did an hour on the garage exercise bike-most spent in highest setting to simulate climbing.

Ventured out on old "hack" bike after to get a mag. from the shops-half mile each way-nearly went over on a cambered corner covered with wet leaves!

Azabache

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Wed 06 Dec 2023, 8:34 am

I'm definitely a fair weather cyclist though, if it's raining I'll only do a club ride otherwise an hour on turbo will suffice. I got out yesterday and did 25miles, lovely sunny afternoon although roads wet and flooded in places. Needless to say I carried bike over where those people are walking, I didn't risk riding through that!

Road cycling in UK Img_2010

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Azabache Wed 06 Dec 2023, 11:02 pm

Ditto. I also have a rule now (since retirement and those 20 years riding to and from work in sometimes near zero temperatures) not to go out when it's under 8 degrees C. It's just not worth it-your extremities never warm up, the further you go the colder you get, and there's little benefit health/fitness-wise. It's very rare in this country for these nasty weather snaps to last more than a few days, a couple of weeks at the very worst; if you're fit-and I'm assuming that all contributors here are-you can quickly get back to peak again...

Azabache

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Thu 07 Dec 2023, 8:22 am

I will go out in the cold, last week I went out couple times and it was around 2C which was pretty chilly but was dry and sunny so was fine. Tuesday(day of photo) it was 6C so comparatively mild. These days I suffer badly with hands and feet so I make sure those are warm enough otherwise I suffer big time. I did a ride last winter and gloves weren't up to it and I was in so much pain it was grim.
If it's icy I won't go, not worth risk. I also don't go if raining unless it's Saturday social ride with club.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Azabache Fri 22 Dec 2023, 9:53 pm

I actually got out on a training run last Saturday-first time for about 3 weeks-due to either heavy rain or other commitments whenever I had a free spot. Did just under 40 (hilly) KM-was dry but roads were filthy and I was very careful going down some known dicey descents.

Tuesday we were back with downpours-back on the exercise bike for an hour! Wednesday was dry and I did 17KM each way to Croydon on my "hack" bike on vile urban roads (my old work commute route); at least it was mild.

This seems to be the pattern so far this winter....

Azabache

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sat 23 Dec 2023, 2:31 pm

I did regular club social ride last Saturday and weather was atrocious! Mega windy and very wet.
Today though much better, still windy but dry and even roads were dry. Only issue was rubbing front brake which repeated fettling didn't sort. I'll need to give it a good service and once over.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Azabache Sat 23 Dec 2023, 9:38 pm

I got out today (Sat.)-quite mild down here but a very strong W. wind meant you still needed some winter gear, and lower ratios than normal on key sections! Just under 40KM, mostly hilly inc. three climbs exceeding 3KM with ramps over 8%-nothing compared to the Continental ones but what else can one do? The average speed of 20.3KM/hour was nothing special but acceptable for this season and a base to build on for later on...

Azabache

mountain man likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sun 24 Dec 2023, 10:10 am

I have always used miles and feet rather than KMs. I know cyclists tradtionally use kms but for me it's always imperial measurements.

Yesterdays ride was 27miles and 2800feet of climbing so a hilly one. Where I live (Pembs) it's v hilly although not many long climbs but a lot of short steep stuff, in the 15%+ range.

For me I think any ride where I gain 1000ft per 10 miles is hilly. I'm sure those who regularly cycle alps, etc might dffer but 1000ft/10miles is good enough for me.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Azabache Sun 24 Dec 2023, 11:49 pm

I have used KMs for years ever since I started doing Continental sportives; my two bike computers are set up for KMs.

However, I transfer my stats after each training ride onto an Excel spreadsheet (am on the 87th sheet!) and have columns for miles' equivalents. The formula is x 0.621-e.g. 40KM x 0.621 = 24.84 miles.

Years ago I was told that "all" one had to do to achieve a Gold on Etapes etc. was to exceed 24KM/hr.-i.e. 14.9 miles/hr. Ha, ha-challenging enough on a typical long UK sportive, but on an Etape of typically 160+ KMs with climbs like the Tourmalet of 18+ KM @ nearly 8% av. gradient (with horrible ramps much steeper)? All hacks like us can hope for is to get round ahead of the Broom Wagon.

Azabache

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 26 Dec 2023, 3:05 pm

I've always used miles. Don't know why. I suspect that when I first set up my Garmin it asked for height and weight and I knew that in imperial but not metric and it just continued from there.

Actually managed to get out for a spin this morning. I'm in Charnwood so the hills tend to be rolling. Nothing particularly long but you can find some steep stuff if you want, tends to be short and sharp. I took it pretty easy though.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Wed 27 Dec 2023, 10:29 am

I managed to get out for a quick 20 miles yesterday, amazingly dry roads and no wind. Bit different today! Could be turbo for next week or so looking at forecast.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Azabache Thu 28 Dec 2023, 12:09 am

Was going to ride down to Worthing on Boxing Day (45 miles e/w.) to see my brother as originally no family cars available, but fortunately I was able to drive it-just as well as doing that trip on the A24 would have been hairy. Today (27th) of course the weather was foul so back on the garage exercise bike for an hour 15 mins.

This winter pattern prevails!

Azabache

Back to top Go down

Post by Azabache Sat 06 Jan 2024, 9:53 pm

Broke my Retirement rule of not going out when it's below 8 degreesC. Despite having four layers the N. wind cut through to my chest on descents. Feet and hands were bearable, but I decided to shorten my intended ride today and did instead 30KM (19 miles), albeit testing in the Surrey Hills.

Quite a surprising number of riders about; I guess everyone is fed up with this long spell of wet weather and desperate to get out.

(The roads were absolutely foul of course, with many sections of surface completely covered with compressed leaves and other matter-will be fun when the frost arrives!)

Azabache

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sun 07 Jan 2024, 8:36 am

I did my regular club social ride yesterday, nice day and dry although as with you roads pretty crappy. Not too cold around 6C and light wind here.
Forecast for coming week in looking good finally, dry and bright so hopefully get a few rides in.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down