The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Birthday trip

+5
LadyPutt
beninho
navyblueshorts
McLaren
JAS
9 posters

Go down

The Birthday trip Empty The Birthday trip

Post by JAS Mon 10 Oct 2022 - 11:02

Just confirmed the details of my birthday trip for next year. Actually ended up with Plan D!! Plan A was Portrush and Royal County Down but Portrush decided they'd close for all of March and I wasn't prepared to subject myself and my mates to the exorbitant summer rates. The way fuel prices were going and cognisant that I'd be coming up from southern England to play the Tassie at the beginning of May I decided the ideal time slot would be the 3 days preceding the Tassie thus saving about 1000 miles worth of petrol. So Plan B was Cruden Bay, Royal Aberdeen and Trumps...only to find that the time slot in question wasn't possible because of a Pro-am on those 3 courses. Plan C was then right, I'll take my mates to Ayrshire, ironically despite being an Ayrshireman, Troon is one of the 3 Rota courses I haven't played, unfortunately they had no availability. So plan D is Gleneagles, all 3 courses, I can then make the short trip over to Carnoustie for the Tassie at the end. We're going to play Silloth on the way up as well so quite a trip in the end although most of the guys coming to Gleneagles won't do the Tassie, only me and one other. Anybody played any of the Gleneagles courses recently?

JAS

Back to top Go down

The Birthday trip Empty Re: The Birthday trip

Post by McLaren Mon 10 Oct 2022 - 13:17

Jas

Skip the Gleneagles course they played the RC on. I have played it a couple of times and it is pretty terrible. The other two are very pleasant golf experiences. If you want 3 rounds then replay one of them.
McLaren
McLaren

LadyPutt and George1507 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 10 Oct 2022 - 14:13

Not played any of GC recently, but really enjoyed Queen's and King's. It was a few years ago, but I enjoyed the Queen's more than the King's. Both are a treat though. Not played the new RC course.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 10 Oct 2022 - 14:53

I have played the Kings before, an absolute treat and the half way house is one of those rare ones where you actually want to have a break, from the round, a bite to eat and just soak in what’s around you. I believe like Sunningdales it’s strategically positioned to serve both courses.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 10 Oct 2022 - 21:35

I do a Troon trip every year. I'll see if my mate can add another on next time!

Last time was a Saturday afternoon in August gorgeous weather empty course. Zero pounds paid. Love it.

Actually he is a big queen's celtic guy.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 11 Oct 2022 - 12:05

beninho wrote:I do a Troon trip every year. I'll see if my mate can add another on next time!

Last time was a Saturday afternoon in August gorgeous weather empty course. Zero pounds paid. Love it.

Actually he is a big queen's celtic guy.

Another course you mean Ben? Spoilt for choice in that area although if you're getting RT for free everything else will seem exorbitant. Prestwick is fun, very historic and you'd discover pretty quickly why it could never be a rota course again (5 is a 200 yard blind par 3 - green on the other side of a dune from the tee, 17 is also a par 4 with a completely blind approach. Other big ones in the area are Western Gailes - classy old links, Dundonald new/restablished on an old links, beginning to get a bit pricey though. At the other end of the pricing there's the Troon munis. Cheap as chips but good challenges nevertheless, especially the Darley.

Or did you mean add another person onto the trip? If so I'm in!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 11 Oct 2022 - 12:30

I was just being nice and trying to offer a round on Troon if I can get it! As you said not played and its the only fancy course I have an in on anywhere.

You'll probably appreciate it more then ne as it's too hard for my level, though I'll tell everyone about my birdie on 17....

I played Dubdonald a few years back and Trumps second course which was lovely..don't think I paid for those either mu nate really has sone contacts up their.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 11 Oct 2022 - 13:26

Jas

I didn't know Dundonald was built over and existing course. Do you know what the original course was called?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 11 Oct 2022 - 13:49

beninho wrote:I was just being nice and trying to offer a round on Troon if I can get it! As you said not played and its the only fancy course I have an in on anywhere.

You'll probably appreciate it more then ne as it's too hard for my level, though I'll tell everyone about my birdie on 17....

I played Dubdonald a few years back and Trumps second course which was lovely..don't think I paid for those either mu nate really has sone contacts up their.

Ok cool I'd be good with that, brilliant if you could, no worries if you couldn't

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 11 Oct 2022 - 13:52

McLaren wrote:Jas

I didn't know Dundonald was built over and existing course. Do you know what the original course was called?

It was a bit of a misnomer, Southern Gailes (it's directly East of Western Gailes and I suppose South East of Glasgow Gailes), designed in 1911 by Willie Fernie and trashed by the army during ww2

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Thu 13 Oct 2022 - 8:58

We played the PGA National course last April because it was the only one where we could use a buggy and with my arthritis and Derek’s complications following his prostate cancer surgery we can’t walk 18 holes. Never have been so disappointed in my life! I know the weather had been dry but the fairways were bare, cracks everywhere, bunkers in very poor state and greens just about OK. To make matters worse, the sat nav on the buggy decided to play up so we had no idea where the hazards were. Definitely wasn’t worth the £85 greenfee and it went up to £145 five days later. Are you staying in the hotel? That is definitely worth it and we loved the Andrew Fairlie restaurant!
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 13 Oct 2022 - 9:16

LadyPutt wrote:We played the PGA National course last April because it was the only one where we could use a buggy and with my arthritis and Derek’s complications following his prostate cancer surgery we can’t walk 18 holes. Never have been so disappointed in my life! I know the weather had been dry but the fairways were bare, cracks everywhere, bunkers in very poor state and greens just about OK. To make matters worse, the sat nav on the buggy decided to play up so we had no idea where the hazards were. Definitely wasn’t worth the £85 greenfee and it went up to £145 five days later. Are you staying in the hotel? That is definitely worth it and we loved the Andrew Fairlie restaurant!

Ouch, that doesn’t sound so good, hopefully a different kind of winter/spring won’t see it in such a state next year. To be honest I think I’d prefer a repeat on the K or Q as Supes suggested.

Not staying in the hotel no, the package was going to put us in a 3 star hotel in Stirling but after a bit of research on my part and negotiation we got the Dunblane Hydro for the same price, which has a Nick Nairn restaurant - not that that will be important to my lot, it’ll be more a case of “what pub in Dunblane has got the cheapest beer!!” I can’t wait to see their faces when they see the price of a post round pint at Gleneagles :-p

JAS

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue 18 Oct 2022 - 13:16

Played the PGA about 10 years ago and wasn't blown away. Long and lacking in any memorable holes and you definitely need a buggy as the distance between greens and tees is substantial.

If the option is available to you, I'd probably skip the PGA and arrange to play both the 9 and 18 hole courses at nearby Crieff. Been about 20 years since I played them but remember enjoying both and would imagine they'd come in a good bit cheaper.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by ralphjohn69 Tue 18 Oct 2022 - 16:57

The 18 holer at Crieff is very good and the course next door to Gleneagles (Auchterarder) is decent enough too.

ralphjohn69

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 20 Oct 2022 - 6:16

ralphjohn69 wrote:The 18 holer at Crieff is very good and the course next door to Gleneagles (Auchterarder) is decent enough too.

I found Crieff pretty boring too many holes just adjacent to another and requires very similar yardages on each hole.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Mon 12 Dec 2022 - 17:13

I absolutely endorse the comments about not playing the National course at Gleneagles. It's long and boring with more long walks between green and the next tee. Compared to the Kings and Queens courses it's the ugly sister.

The Kings and Queens are James Braid masterpieces, some of his best work. They blend into the landscape as though they were meant to be there, not parachuted in from Florida. When they were revamping the National course for the Ryder Cup it was proudly boasted that they moved more earth just on the 18th than James Braid did when he built the 45 holes of the Kings, Queens and Princes. Braid was a proper architect who worked with a team of horses and a few blokes with shovels. The National course was designed by some computer nerds and built by a bunch of JCB jockeys. The worst part is that the Princes course was lost to build this monster. Save your money, play the Kings and Queens instead.

In that area, Crieff is good and excellent value. The 18 hole course (Ferntower) is a lovely course with good greens. It's built on the east side of the Knock hill, so lots of side hill lies. The Dornock 9 holer is a bit flatter and a lot easier. The Dornock was made from some of the left over holes when 9 new holes were built to make the Ferntower. Crieff is dear to my heart - I broke the course record on the original layout when I was about 18.

Stay at Crieff Hydro. It's just wonderful. Also in that area is Blairgowrie, which has two great courses. Pitlochry is nice too. There are a load of fun holers in Perthshire as well - St Fillans, Comrie, Muthill, Strathtay and Alyth among them. They are short and quirky and great fun. You can get a discounted ticket and play 3 courses a day!

George1507

BlueCoverman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 13 Dec 2022 - 13:22

Pitlochry is a good shout. Much more interesting than playing the gleneagles RC course.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 27 Jan 2023 - 9:50

George1507 wrote:I absolutely endorse the comments about not playing the National course at Gleneagles. It's long and boring with more long walks between green and the next tee. Compared to the Kings and Queens courses it's the ugly sister.

The Kings and Queens are James Braid masterpieces, some of his best work. They blend into the landscape as though they were meant to be there, not parachuted in from Florida. When they were revamping the National course for the Ryder Cup it was proudly boasted that they moved more earth just on the 18th than James Braid did when he built the 45 holes of the Kings, Queens and Princes. Braid was a proper architect who worked with a team of horses and a few blokes with shovels. The National course was designed by some computer nerds and built by a bunch of JCB jockeys. The worst part is that the Princes course was lost to build this monster. Save your money, play the Kings and Queens instead.

In that area, Crieff is good and excellent value. The 18 hole course (Ferntower) is a lovely course with good greens. It's built on the east side of the Knock hill, so lots of side hill lies. The Dornock 9 holer is a bit flatter and a lot easier. The Dornock was made from some of the left over holes when 9 new holes were built to make the Ferntower. Crieff is dear to my heart - I broke the course record on the original layout when I was about 18.

Stay at Crieff Hydro. It's just wonderful. Also in that area is Blairgowrie, which has two great courses. Pitlochry is nice too. There are a load of fun holers in Perthshire as well - St Fillans, Comrie, Muthill, Strathtay and Alyth among them. They are short and quirky and great fun. You can get a discounted ticket and play 3 courses a day!

Have played Pitlochry once and Alyth a number of times. Enjoyed Pitlochry and Alyth is a great little course and a lot of fun. Strathmore is also based just outside Alyth but isn't great (although I'd probably prefer to play it than the play the PGA at Gleneagles).

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 27 Jan 2023 - 10:03

Forfar is a nice wee course.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 27 Jan 2023 - 10:17

super_realist wrote:Forfar is a nice wee course.

Played it countless times. My dad was a member for about 30 years and I had a membership going for about 7 years or so. What it lacks in length it makes up for in a lot of fun holes and some typical James Braid touches. Can be tricky for visitors as you very rarely get a flat lie and there's a lot of blind tee shots. The 15th (known as Braid's Best) is the best hole on the course. Dog-Leg right in which you play your tee shot into a blind valley and you really need to try to manufacture a fade off the tee. Second shot is from the valley up to an elevated green with trees close on one side and a massive bank on the other (which also has a few horrible bunkers). Walked off that hole with every score between 2 and 9 (there's nightmarish gorse if you draw/hook your tee shot).

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

super_realist likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 27 Jan 2023 - 11:12

superflyweight wrote:

Played it countless times.  My dad was a member for about 30 years and I had a membership going for about 7 years or so.  What it lacks in length it makes up for in a lot of fun holes and some typical James Braid touches.  Can be tricky for visitors as you very rarely get a flat lie and there's a lot of blind tee shots.  The 15th (known as Braid's Best) is the best hole on the course.  Dog-Leg right in which you play your tee shot into a blind valley and you really need to try to manufacture a fade off the tee.  Second shot is from the valley up to an elevated green with trees close on one side and a massive bank on the other (which also has a few horrible bunkers). Walked off that hole with every score between 2 and 9 (there's nightmarish gorse if you draw/hook your tee shot).  

13th (?) Is a cracking little par 3.
Stunning in the right light and season.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 27 Jan 2023 - 12:02

super_realist wrote:
superflyweight wrote:

Played it countless times.  My dad was a member for about 30 years and I had a membership going for about 7 years or so.  What it lacks in length it makes up for in a lot of fun holes and some typical James Braid touches.  Can be tricky for visitors as you very rarely get a flat lie and there's a lot of blind tee shots.  The 15th (known as Braid's Best) is the best hole on the course.  Dog-Leg right in which you play your tee shot into a blind valley and you really need to try to manufacture a fade off the tee.  Second shot is from the valley up to an elevated green with trees close on one side and a massive bank on the other (which also has a few horrible bunkers). Walked off that hole with every score between 2 and 9 (there's nightmarish gorse if you draw/hook your tee shot).  

Yep - can sometime just be a flick with an 8 or 9 iron but has a tricky green with a ridge through it and bunkers tight on the left and right and trees tight at the back.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 14 Apr 2023 - 8:43

superflyweight wrote:
super_realist wrote:
superflyweight wrote:

Yep - can sometime just be a flick with an 8 or 9 iron but has a tricky green with a ridge through it and bunkers tight on the left and right and trees tight at the back.  

I played the qualifying rounds of the Tassie one year with a Forfar member, nice bloke and we still have a chat when we bump into each other during Tassie week, sounds like I need to nudge him for a round when I'm up there.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Mon 17 Apr 2023 - 16:52

JAS wrote:
superflyweight wrote:
super_realist wrote:
superflyweight wrote:

I played the qualifying rounds of the Tassie one year with a Forfar member, nice bloke and we still have a chat when we bump into each other during Tassie week, sounds like I need to nudge him for a round when I'm up there.

Definitely worth a shot, JAS. Been a long time since I played it, but the greens always used to be in good knick and the course layout is fun (if relatively short and not overly taxing).

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 20 Apr 2023 - 14:00

Got to say with the drive up the M6 and the start of the trip only 5 days away the weather is looking decidedly piss poor & cold (silver lining and all that...that means the growth of the rough/long stuff won't have properly got going yet). One can probably guess the way my game has gone that I'm already thinking about how the rough might play :-p

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 24 Apr 2023 - 8:30

The itinerary has now taken more shape with the draw for the medal rounds in the Tassie. So after the grind of the M6 northbound journey tomorrow evening things are shaping up as follows
Wed 26th - Silloth on Solway
Thurs 27th - Gleneagles Kings
Fri 28th - Gleneagles Queens
Sat 29th - Gleneagles PGA
Sun30th - Carnoustie Championship
Mon 1st - Carnoustie Championship (Medal)
Tues 2nd - Carnoustie Buddon (Medal)
Wed 3rd May - Scratch Matchplay or hcp Matchplay or consolation stableford
Thurs 4th May - hcp Matchplay or consolation stableford
Friday 5th May - hcp Matchplay or find a round somewhere
Sat 6th May - hcp Matchplay or head home
Sun 7th May Well earned rest

JAS

BlueCoverman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Thu 27 Apr 2023 - 13:02

JAS wrote:The itinerary has now taken more shape with the draw for the medal rounds in the Tassie. So after the grind of the M6 northbound journey tomorrow evening things are shaping up as follows
Fri 28th  - Gleneagles Queens
Mon 1st  - Carnoustie Championship (Medal)
Thurs 4th May -  hcp Matchplay or consolation stableford
Wow, that's a lot of golf! Is it your 21st birthday chin  I see you haven't taken any of the advice about not playing the PGA course at Gleneagles. It will be interesting to hear what you make of it.
Hope you haven't taken on too much before the Tassie but best of luck for all of it. Weather should be OK - warming up (a bit) and just the occasional shower. You've missed the chill.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Sun 7 May 2023 - 10:45

LadyPutt wrote:
JAS wrote:The itinerary has now taken more shape with the draw for the medal rounds in the Tassie. So after the grind of the M6 northbound journey tomorrow evening things are shaping up as follows
Wow, that's a lot of golf! Is it your 21st birthday chin  I see you haven't taken any of the advice about not playing the PGA course at Gleneagles. It will be interesting to hear what you make of it.
Hope you haven't taken on too much before the Tassie but best of luck for all of it. Weather should be OK - warming up (a bit) and just the occasional shower. You've missed the chill.
How was the trip? I looked at the results for the Tassie and saw your name a bit too far down the list in the Consolation Stableford! What about the rest of it, especially the courses at Gleneagles?
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by ralphjohn69 Sun 7 May 2023 - 18:08

LadyPutt wrote:
LadyPutt wrote:
How was the trip? I looked at the results for the Tassie and saw your name a bit too far down the list in the Consolation Stableford! What about the rest of it, especially the courses at Gleneagles?

I'd love it if he rated the PGA Centenary Course as the best course he's played.

ralphjohn69

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 10 May 2023 - 13:12

Well my best golf was undoubtedly Silloth at the start of the trip, 38 points and felt I played well within myself. Not good enough to scratch any money from my bandit mates though. As I think I mentioned on another thread, our group had 2 consecutive Hole in ones. Silloth on a calm day is just a lovely place to be.
On to Gleneagles and the standard dropped with the temperature. Kings is easily the best of the 3. I liked the queens layout and it’s probably the prettiest of the 3 unfortunately the queens greens were in a bit of a state that week due to scarification which was a shame. By the time we got to the soulless one on Saturday it was absolutely freezing and yes it left me rather indifferent, yes there’s 2 or 3 good holes but the course, whilst currently better conditioned at the moment) completely out of character with the rest of the complex.
Then there was my worst Tassie performance in 12 years. Qualifying cut was 158 for the scratch & 152 for the net which suggests yes it was tough…but not as tough as I contrived to make it.
When you start triple, double, double (handicap used 3 holes in) it’s not a good start, although to be fair not necessarily the end of hope. I then birdied 4 and par’d 5 and had settled. Hit a biggish one down Hogans, over the 3rd bunker on the right, if you know it you’ll know that’s rough, but currently very light rough however the 3 minutes came and went with no ball find and I had to make the long walk of shame back to the tee as we let the group behind through. The next tee shot was pretty much same line and landed just a few yards from where I’d parked my bag for the initial search (a good 20 yards from the fairway. All 3 of us then played our 2nd shots (well 4th for me). 20-30 yards further on one of my playing partners shouts from the fairway ( hey john, what were you playing again? Calloway with a blue cross?” Yeah… “really feel for you mate, it’s here” My original was middle of the fairway about 185 out, I’d have had a 7 iron in (it was breezy from the East). As it was I took an 8 after what could/should been an eagle/birdie chance. A lucky 5 at 7 (with not one good shot in it) saw me on the 8th tee still raging. Ah the tricky little 8th, one oob, 2 bunkers and 3 putts for a 9 later I just wanted to go home!!! The rest of the week was about trying to salvage something and take some positives…I’m still looking!!

JAS

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Thu 11 May 2023 - 10:35

JAS wrote:Well my best golf was undoubtedly Silloth at the start of the trip, 38 points and felt I played well within myself. Not good enough to scratch any money from my bandit mates though. As I think I mentioned on another thread, our group had 2 consecutive Hole in ones. Silloth on a calm day is just a lovely place to be.
On to Gleneagles and the standard dropped with the temperature. Kings is easily the best of the 3. I liked the queens layout and it’s probably the prettiest of the 3 unfortunately the queens greens were in a bit of a state that week due to scarification which was a shame. By the time we got to the soulless one on Saturday it was absolutely freezing and yes it left me rather indifferent, yes there’s 2 or 3 good holes but the course, whilst currently better conditioned at the moment) completely out of character with the rest of the complex.
Then there was my worst Tassie performance in 12 years. Qualifying cut was 158 for the scratch & 152 for the net which suggests yes it was tough…but not as tough as I contrived to make it.
When you start triple, double, double (handicap used 3 holes in) it’s not a good start, although to be fair not necessarily the end of hope. I then birdied 4 and par’d 5 and had settled. Hit a biggish one down Hogans, over the 3rd bunker on the right, if you know it you’ll know that’s rough, but currently very light rough however the 3 minutes came and went with no ball find and I had to make the long walk of shame back to the tee as we let the group behind through. The next tee shot was pretty much same line and landed just a few yards from where I’d parked my bag for the initial search (a good 20 yards from the fairway. All 3 of us then played our 2nd shots (well 4th for me). 20-30 yards further on one of my playing partners shouts from the fairway ( hey john, what were you playing again? Calloway with a blue cross?” Yeah… “really feel for you mate, it’s here”  My original was middle of the fairway about 185 out, I’d have had a 7 iron in (it was breezy from the East). As it was I took an 8 after what could/should been an eagle/birdie chance. A lucky 5 at 7 (with not one good shot in it) saw me on the 8th tee still raging. Ah the tricky little 8th, one oob, 2 bunkers and 3 putts for a 9 later I just wanted to go home!!! The rest of the week was about trying to salvage something and take some positives…I’m still looking!!
Not your best John, but there’s always next year!
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 11 Jul 2023 - 13:56

ralphjohn69 wrote:
LadyPutt wrote:
LadyPutt wrote:

I'd love it if he rated the PGA Centenary Course as the best course he's played.

Why?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by ralphjohn69 Wed 12 Jul 2023 - 11:42

McLaren wrote:
ralphjohn69 wrote:
LadyPutt wrote:
LadyPutt wrote:

Why?

Why not?

ralphjohn69

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 12 Jul 2023 - 12:54

ralphjohn69 wrote:

Why not?

Bit of a non answer.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 12 Jul 2023 - 13:27

McLaren wrote:
ralphjohn69 wrote:

Why not?

Bit of a non answer.
If you look back over the thread, you'll see, I think, that the general consensus was that the King's, Queen's etc were great, but the PGA National an over-rated non-event...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 12 Jul 2023 - 13:29

Jas has proven over the years that he knows his golf courses. There was never a chance he liked the centenary course over the others.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down