The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SAS Rogue Heroes

4 posters

Go down

SAS Rogue Heroes Empty SAS Rogue Heroes

Post by mountain man Fri 04 Nov 2022, 9:11 am

Anyone watching? I'm on episode 4 and have to say it's really good. Entertaining, rip roaring stuff. Lot of poetic license been used but all based on facts.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

SAS Rogue Heroes Empty Re: SAS Rogue Heroes

Post by dummy_half Thu 10 Nov 2022, 11:54 am

And with a bit of a sporting connection, in that Paddy Mayne was an Ireland and British Lions rugby player before the war. I suspect he was rather a lot larger in real life than the actor playing him as he was a lock forward.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Thu 10 Nov 2022, 12:05 pm

Paddy was a colossus of a man, 6'3" and the best part of 17 stone are his most quoted dimensions. I have both Irish ancestry and former members of the SAS in my close family; he's revered as almost god like by them. Also evokes great shame that he wasn't awarded the VC he so richly deserved.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Fri 18 Nov 2022, 2:10 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:Paddy was a colossus of a man, 6'3" and the best part of 17 stone are his most quoted dimensions. I have both Irish ancestry and former members of the SAS in my close family; he's revered as almost god like by them. Also evokes great shame that he wasn't awarded the VC he so richly deserved.

From what I've read about him, he certainly did plenty to merit the award of at least one VC - perhaps his rather 'unorthodox' character counted against him a bit?.
As an aside, my village was the birth place, and the village 3 miles down the road is the resting place of one Dr Arthur Martin-Leake VC and Bar. Few enough VC winners, but only 3 men have ever won 2 of them, and he even lived to tell the tale. A medic in the Boer War and then WW1, awarded the VC for tending the wounded under fire. Buried next to him is the wheelbarrow he used to transport his absolutely enormous testicles Wink

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 14 Apr 2023, 3:40 pm

I finally watched this the other week expecting to absolutely love it. A combination of a book I'd read, brilliant story, a creator who's work I love, strong director and cracking cast. I thought the first episode was a cracker doing the difficult job of setting the scene, introducing characters whilst being very entertaining. From there I felt it drifted at times and it certainly felt guilty of liking the smell of it's own farts in places.

Still a very fun watch no doubt but not quite as captivating as I hoped it'd be from the first episode. At times I found my attention drifting a bit like watching a very high budget midweek drama rather than the standout TV I'd hoped for. Perhaps a victim of my own expectations in that regard.

I'll definitely watch series 2 to see how they will presumably cover the splitting into SRS and SBS, Italian campaign, Stirling's time in Colditz is a potential goldmine of historically inspired stories too. Reunited with Berge there, plenty of potential characters such as Charles Upham. I wouldn't put it past Knight having a young Desmond Llewelyn appear even!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down