The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2022 FIFA World Cup

+18
Galted
westisbest
Pal Joey
RiscaGame
mountain man
Luke
Lowlandbrit
Mind the windows Tino.
Luckless Pedestrian
JDizzle
eirebilly_01
Soul Requiem
alfie
No name Bertie
dummy_half
Good Golly I'm Olly
GSC
Duty281
22 posters

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

Who will win the World Cup?

2022 FIFA World Cup - Page 2 Vote_lcap33%2022 FIFA World Cup - Page 2 Vote_rcap 33% 
[ 3 ]
2022 FIFA World Cup - Page 2 Vote_lcap22%2022 FIFA World Cup - Page 2 Vote_rcap 22% 
[ 2 ]
2022 FIFA World Cup - Page 2 Vote_lcap22%2022 FIFA World Cup - Page 2 Vote_rcap 22% 
[ 2 ]
2022 FIFA World Cup - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%2022 FIFA World Cup - Page 2 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
2022 FIFA World Cup - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%2022 FIFA World Cup - Page 2 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
2022 FIFA World Cup - Page 2 Vote_lcap11%2022 FIFA World Cup - Page 2 Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 1 ]
2022 FIFA World Cup - Page 2 Vote_lcap11%2022 FIFA World Cup - Page 2 Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 9

Poll closed

2022 FIFA World Cup - Page 2 Empty 2022 FIFA World Cup

Post by Duty281 Mon 07 Nov 2022, 2:35 pm

First topic message reminder :

The strangest World Cup of them all will begin in Qatar in just a couple of weeks. The first World Cup (and surely not the last!) to be held in Arabia; the first World Cup not to take place in May, June or July; only the second World Cup to be hosted in Asia; and the last World Cup to be played with the 32-team format, as from 2026 the tournament will expand to 48 teams.

Free-scoring Brazil are, as usual, the bookmakers' favourites for the World Cup. It's been quite a barren run for the five-time winners - 20 years since they last won the tournament, and they've only made it past the quarter-finals once in the last four iterations. They were runners-up in last year's Copa America, but have since gone on an unbeaten run which has seen them cruise through qualification.

Argentina, the Copa America champions, are installed as the second favourites, in what will surely be Messi's last chance of World Cup glory. The Argentines are on a very long unbeaten run, having not experienced defeat in any fixture for over three years. Will Messi finally emulate Maradona and lead his side to their first World Cup in 36 years? Uruguay and Ecuador are the only other South American entrants; Colombia and Chile have missed out.

Turning to Europe, France are defending their second World Cup crown - they will be hoping it will go better than their first defence when they were dispatched in the group stage in 2002. On paper they still retain a strong side; in reality they're on a poor run of form, having been knocked out of the last Euros in the Last 16, and some key players will miss the World Cup through injury.

Europe, of course, has a wide range of potential winners extending beyond France. England, with an array of exciting attacking talent, will try to end all those years of hurt and misery, having come so close last year to breaking the duck. But they have also struggled in recent times, with Southgate struggling to get the best out of his creative talents. Germany and Spain both won the World Cup in the last decade, and are hoping to bounce back from disappointments in 2018. Belgium's golden generation has one last chance to deliver, as does Ronaldo for Portugal. The Dutch and the Danes will remain optimistic, and Wales are in it for the first time since 1958.

Or, perchance, for the very first time a winner outside of Europe and South America? African champions Senegal are likely leading this charge, with Mane and Koulibaly at the heart of their side, although no African nation has ever made the semi-finals of this competition. The North Americans are well represented with all three host nations of 2026 - Canada, USA and Mexico - and Costa Rica  making an appearance, although you'll have to go back to 1930 for the last, and only, time a North American team made the semi-final stage.

Oceania have zero representation - unless you count Australia, but in footballing terms Australia are as Asian as Israel are European - and haven't done so since New Zealand's unbeaten run in 2010. The Asian continent hasn't done anything of note since South Korea in 2002, and their best hope this year probably comes from the South Koreans or Japanese, although hosts Qatar will be hoping to navigate themselves through a tricky group.

Um...come on, England?

Odds on the outright winners:

Odds on Golden Boot:

World Cup Schedule:

Duty281

Back to top Go down

2022 FIFA World Cup - Page 2 Empty Re: 2022 FIFA World Cup

Post by GSC Mon 21 Nov 2022, 10:01 am

Another banner day as FIFA strongarms players into not wearing one love armbands as it offends qatar
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Mon 21 Nov 2022, 10:05 am

Europeans have an imperialistic mindset that has shaped human history right up into the modern age and it is as strong today as it ever was.   Religious wars and now morality wars - pompous self righteous people that think they know more than others. From genocide, theft of resources, slavery, resource exploitation, human exploitation, and now attack of all alternative traditional values with the narrative that the European modern day exploitative, war mongering consumptive values must now be accepted by all alternative historical and traditional societies.

Last edited by No name Bertie on Mon 21 Nov 2022, 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Mon 21 Nov 2022, 10:07 am

No name Bertie wrote:Europeans have an imperialistic mindset that has shaped human history right up into the modern age and it is as strong today as it ever was.   Religious wars and now morality wars - pompous self righteous people that think they know more than others.

Yes you're right, I do know more than others.

Soul Requiem

eirebilly_01 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Mon 21 Nov 2022, 10:11 am

Soul Requiem wrote:
No name Bertie wrote:Europeans have an imperialistic mindset that has shaped human history right up into the modern age and it is as strong today as it ever was.   Religious wars and now morality wars - pompous self righteous people that think they know more than others.

How is the plastic industry dealing with its waste?
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Mon 21 Nov 2022, 10:12 am

No name Bertie wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:

How is the plastic industry dealing with its waste?

Whataboutery won't work here.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 21 Nov 2022, 10:15 am

Interesting take Bertie. So you believe LGBTQ+ people having human rights is a moral issue?

Trying to deflect onto European history is pure whataboutism. the idea that because horrific acts were committed and should never be excused every developing nation has free reign to commit its own horrific acts is just stupid.

Culture is not an excuse for intolerance. That should be a non negotiable for any major sporting event but as ever, everything has a price.
GSC
GSC

alfie, Duty281, Good Golly I'm Olly, Soul Requiem and eirebilly_01 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Mon 21 Nov 2022, 10:19 am

I simply just cannot get into this World Cup.

The double standards set by FIFA are just too bad for me. I would have preferred if it had been boycotted (something I hate as well) and FIFA disbanded and re-built. They are so openly greedy and corrupt and have no issue flaunting this in our collective faces.

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 21 Nov 2022, 10:39 am

FIFA not covering itself in glory here. Monstering national bodies into backing away from gestures expressing what most of the (civilized) world accepts should be the rights of all human beings... so as not to offend a host country who has already shown its disregard for generally held standards of behaviour...bad enough they were bribed into allocating the tournament here in the first place but this kow-towing hits a new low...

Disgusted.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 21 Nov 2022, 11:00 am

alfie wrote:Interesting "leaked team". So not three CBs , then ?  My instinct likes this ; but given the concerns England seem to have had re their defence recently wasn't at all sure they would go this way.  Will it be the same against the stronger teams later , I wonder ?

Really couldn't complain about the players named above (yeah I know Maguire is there from past tournament efforts , not current form , etc , etc - how that works we will have to watch and see) ; and many people wouldn't start Sterling (though I always would) : but I reckon it is a very handy looking opening set up . And with five subs allowed now and the heat factor the replacements should have plenty of opportunities as the game proceeds anyway.
Probably fair to say Southgate hasn't always got his subs right (though I do think some of his critics are guilty of just assuming their own preferred options would have been better : obviously never put to the test !) so I hope he is on the ball tonight.

Nice time zone fit for me , this one - bit less so the Wales game but can always avoid spoilers and stream... On with the show !

Only two centre-backs for the perceived weaker teams, will switch to three for the stronger teams, that's how Southgate usually does it. Temperatures in the high 20s - for goodness sake, look after the ball!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Mon 21 Nov 2022, 11:06 am

A lot of typical low brow binary thinking - that is why it is better to ignore this type of ignorant cocksure presumptive righteous assertions.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 21 Nov 2022, 11:10 am

I think you could squeeze a few more buzzwords into that jumble.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Mon 21 Nov 2022, 11:14 am

One thing we can maybe all agree to is that the world cup should never have gone to Qatar. The process of it being awarded to Qatar needs to be independently investigated. I suspect corruption and brown paper envelopes.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Mon 21 Nov 2022, 11:16 am

No name Bertie wrote:One thing we can maybe all agree to is that the world cup should never have gone to Qatar.  The process of it being awarded to Qatar needs to be independently investigated.  I suspect corruption and brown paper envelopes.

You suspect? It has been proven there was corruption and envelopes involved. Still, FIFA just drive one...

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Mon 21 Nov 2022, 11:27 am

No name Bertie wrote:A lot of typical low brow binary thinking - that is why it is better to ignore this type of ignorant cocksure presumptive righteous assertions.

Advocating for LGBT and womens rights is ignorant?

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 21 Nov 2022, 11:29 am

Soul Requiem wrote:
No name Bertie wrote:A lot of typical low brow binary thinking - that is why it is better to ignore this type of ignorant cocksure presumptive righteous assertions.

Advocating for LGBT and womens rights is ignorant?

Oh absolutely, we have to be respectful of 'alternative traditional values' because, y'know, the Europeans did some crusading 900 years ago.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 21 Nov 2022, 11:39 am

Gonna be a very miserable world if only people whose ancestors have never committed a crime can comment on people doing horrible things
GSC
GSC

eirebilly_01 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Mon 21 Nov 2022, 11:59 am

Rhetoric needs to match action. So I hope you will all join with me for a complete personal boycott of the QATAR World Cup because watching it supports the Qatari regime and hence the laws and traditions that is found abhorrent. Also write to your local MP and call for the immediate withdrawal of your national team from the Qatari world cup because once again etc. Buy no merchandise from this world cup, consume no news media or social media content from this world cup and don't comment on any football matches that are taking place on Qatari soil because doing so is either a direct or indirect support of this World Cup held in Qatar. Don't be a hypocrite. Thank you.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Mon 21 Nov 2022, 12:01 pm

No name Bertie wrote:Rhetoric needs to match action.  So I hope you will all join with me for a complete personal boycott of the QATAR World Cup because watching it supports the Qatari regime and hence the laws and traditions that is found abhorrent.   Also write to your local MP and call for the immediate withdrawal of your national team from the Qatari world cup because once again etc.  Buy no merchandise from this world cup, consume no news media or social media content from this world cup and don't comment on any football matches that are taking place on Qatari soil because doing so is either a direct or indirect support of this World Cup held in Qatar.   Don't be a hypocrite.  Thank you.  

laughing

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Mon 21 Nov 2022, 12:01 pm

GSC wrote:Gonna be a very miserable world if only people whose ancestors have never committed a crime can comment on people doing horrible things

There were horrible things done in the past but as Europe developed, they were removed from our society. Is it right that children should be blamed for their parents mistakes?

Right now, in certain countries, these things are still very much active.

There is a huge difference between past sins and ongoing sins...

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 21 Nov 2022, 12:02 pm

England team as expected. Ground barely filling up. Don't know much about the Iranians, but Carlos Queiroz is the current head coach.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 21 Nov 2022, 12:08 pm

I agree it's an uncomfortable and conflicting viewpoint to take in this world cup and try to enjoy football. But it's FIFAs who have introduced politics to this world cup at the trade off of lining their own pockets and trying to pass onto the moral conflicts to fans is nonsense imo.

I also disagree it is a low brow binary choice between shut up and enjoy the football or boycott football
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly_01 Mon 21 Nov 2022, 12:11 pm

Are ye all underestimating Nederlands?

Oranje are not in bad shape.

eirebilly_01

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Mon 21 Nov 2022, 12:21 pm

Duty281 wrote:England team as expected. Ground barely filling up. Don't know much about the Iranians, but Carlos Queiroz is the current head coach.

The Iranian GK can throw the ball about 60m. It’s incredible. There ends my list of facts about the Iranian side.

JDizzle

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 21 Nov 2022, 12:24 pm

Duty281 wrote:Not sure how far England will go. In theory they've got the creative and attacking talent to make a real go of this competition; in reality they've got a manager who straitjackets the creativity and is terrified of many teams.

Top the group - from there it'll likely be Senegal in the last 16. With Mane I thought this would be a problematic game for England; without him it becomes a lot more manageable. If England get to the QFs, it could be France, but with France's current form they may not top their group and that could mean a QF v Denmark/Poland/Mexico which would be typical Southgate!

Runners-up in the group - a likely game against the Dutch in the last 16, possibly then a QF v Argentina. Very tough route. Bit like 2010.

Out in the groups? - Shouldn't happen. It's a very weak group.

Depending on who England get, I think a QF or SF exit would be respectable. But we'll have to see how the draw pans out. To beat one of the top nations at this tournament, something Southgate hasn't yet done at the previous two major tournaments, would require luck or a bit more tactical bravery.

Be brave, Southgate. Seize the day and let England play.

Statistically it's the toughest group, no? The only group where all four sides are in the top 20 of the world rankings.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 21 Nov 2022, 12:25 pm

JDizzle wrote:
Duty281 wrote:England team as expected. Ground barely filling up. Don't know much about the Iranians, but Carlos Queiroz is the current head coach.

The Iranian GK can throw the ball about 60m. It’s incredible. There ends my list of facts about the Iranian side.

He's in the wrong sport, then! Should be in one of the Olympic throwing events.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 21 Nov 2022, 12:30 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
Duty281 wrote:Not sure how far England will go. In theory they've got the creative and attacking talent to make a real go of this competition; in reality they've got a manager who straitjackets the creativity and is terrified of many teams.

Top the group - from there it'll likely be Senegal in the last 16. With Mane I thought this would be a problematic game for England; without him it becomes a lot more manageable. If England get to the QFs, it could be France, but with France's current form they may not top their group and that could mean a QF v Denmark/Poland/Mexico which would be typical Southgate!

Runners-up in the group - a likely game against the Dutch in the last 16, possibly then a QF v Argentina. Very tough route. Bit like 2010.

Out in the groups? - Shouldn't happen. It's a very weak group.

Depending on who England get, I think a QF or SF exit would be respectable. But we'll have to see how the draw pans out. To beat one of the top nations at this tournament, something Southgate hasn't yet done at the previous two major tournaments, would require luck or a bit more tactical bravery.

Be brave, Southgate. Seize the day and let England play.

Statistically it's the toughest group, no? The only group where all four sides are in the top 20 of the world rankings.

Might be. Don't really pay attention to the world rankings, though. Group A (in with Netherlands and Senegal as Qatar were the top seeds), C (in with Poland and Mexico), D (in with Denmark), E (in with Germany), F (in with Croatia and Canada), and H (in with Uruguay, Ghana and South Korea) would have all been tougher, I think.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 21 Nov 2022, 12:50 pm

I really like Jude Bellingham, he's a fantastic talent and a marvellous technical player, but I wish the English pundits could hold up on the hype. Lineker instantly branding him a future England captain and comparing him to Bryan Robson just heaps the pressure on.

England fans apparently delayed to some faults with the ticketing system. Biggest sporting event in the world this.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 21 Nov 2022, 12:57 pm

Is it still God save the Queen being sung
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 21 Nov 2022, 12:58 pm

Iran fans booing their own anthem, but England will probably get the blame!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 21 Nov 2022, 1:00 pm

10 reds in 9 games, no wonder they didn't want to risk the armband
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 21 Nov 2022, 1:04 pm

How isn't that a penalty?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 21 Nov 2022, 1:05 pm

Surely that's a pen? Just tackled him to the ground
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 21 Nov 2022, 1:09 pm

Wrong Harry on the end of that
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 21 Nov 2022, 1:10 pm

Safe to say Iran are here for a point. Will see more of these types of games at the next World Cup with 16 extra teams and the realistic prospect of two draws getting teams through to the KO stage.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 21 Nov 2022, 1:12 pm

Might be knocked out, test of concussion rules
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 21 Nov 2022, 1:16 pm

Surely he can't be allowed to play on

Someone has to get a grip here, this is seriously dangerous
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 21 Nov 2022, 1:18 pm

Ludicrous he was ever allowed to decide to stay on. A minute later he's off
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 21 Nov 2022, 1:18 pm

It was just a ploy to waste more time. Shouldn't be playing on, they knew that, but a secondary injury stops the game for another few minutes. Ref needs to get a grip.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Mon 21 Nov 2022, 1:19 pm

JDizzle wrote:

Now what am I meant to say about the Iranian side!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 21 Nov 2022, 1:30 pm

Ref needs to get his yellow out in a minute, Iran just fouling at will
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 21 Nov 2022, 1:31 pm

Mount should probably score
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 21 Nov 2022, 1:34 pm

Maguire should definitely score
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 21 Nov 2022, 1:35 pm

Jude does score

Last edited by GSC on Mon 21 Nov 2022, 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 21 Nov 2022, 1:36 pm

Nicely done Bellingham thumbsup

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 21 Nov 2022, 1:37 pm

Nice goal. Just moved it at pace for a few passes, perfect first-time cross from Shaw and Bellingham puts it home.

Deserved lead for England. Oh dear, Iran, looks like you'll have try and play football now.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 21 Nov 2022, 1:37 pm

Get another and start managing this like Ecuador did last night
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 21 Nov 2022, 1:41 pm

alfie wrote:Nicely done Bellingham thumbsup

Nice goal that. Reminds me of Bryan Robson.

19 years old. I don't even want to think about what I was doing at 19.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 21 Nov 2022, 1:45 pm

What a beautiful hit from Saka. Gorgeous technique.

Iran whinging. Laugh

Duty281

Mind the windows Tino. likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 21 Nov 2022, 1:46 pm

Another one.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon 21 Nov 2022, 1:47 pm

Ballgame I think, might be a boring second half
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next