The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour / US Open: Notes from the Ballwasher

+36
Packman4
Gregers
sharky066
Mark2011
oldshanker
JASON DAY RULES
Doon the Water
pedro
Mad for Chelsea
Ramilas1
LondonJonnyO
detones
Dave.
Noshankingtonite
graeme
legendkillar
Davie
Nay
ryan86
John Cregan
haystongolfer
dynamark
SmithersJones
EmmDee57
drive4show
venice1
navyblueshorts
Shotrock
Lairdy
Doc
Yadsendew
sirbenson
Maverick
NedB-H
Redrage
kwinigolfer
40 posters

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

PGA Tour / US Open: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty PGA Tour / US Open: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 14 Jun - 23:07

First topic message reminder :

1).First in driving distance.
First in putts per green in regulation.
Fifth in total putts.
Eighth in greens in regulation.
That's the trick Harrison Frazar pulled last week; if he can do it again he'll win the US Open. He has serious power, more than enough for Congressional, but one would expect his short game to desert him in the end.

2).These wins have hidden bennies: Apart from sponsorship bonuses and, in this case, a 2 1/2 year Tour exemption, Frazar also qualifies for Bridgestone, the PGA Championship, Kapalua and Augusta; and probably the HSBC Champions. And to think a few months ago he wrote an SI article about packing the pro game up after 13 winless years and $9M in prizemoney.

3).Roary Sabbatini's just had two weeks off, presumably at His Majesty Tim Finchem's pleasure. Now he gets to return to the scene of Bencranegate, where in 2005 he left pedestrian Ben to his own devices and desires on the 17th green while he played the 18th without him. Expect Roary to have another fortnight's holiday, win this week or lose.

4).Who's got form here? Only four players in the field have won at Congressional, all before Rees Jones redid (read lengthened) the Blue Course: Ernie Els (1997), Sergio Garcia (2005), KJ Choi (2007) and Anthony Kim (2008). Apart from Sergio, other Europeans who have decent records at Congressional include:
Freddie Jacobson, 2nd in the 2008 AT&T; Justin Rose with a couple of top thirty AT&T finishes; Luke Donald with a 13th place in 2005; and, of course, Alex Cejka with a 9th place finish in 2008.

5).Oops, last but by no means least, a certain Lee Westwood who finished T19th (with T.Woods) at the 1997 US Open here. Others from Team GB&I who made the 1997 cut were five Ryder Cuppers, Monty, DC, Sirfaldo, Coltart and Broadhurst.
AND: The son of a moustachioed itinerant goalscorer who plied his trade for, among other more distinguished teams: Bradford Park Avenue, Southport and Stockport. Now: No Googling allowed, who was the son of a strikerman who finished 24th that year????

6).Others who have at least two top tens in the five events competitors could have played include:
Furyk, with 2 x 3rds, a 5th, and a 7th.
Allenby, with a 3rd and a 6th.
Mahan, 2nd and 6th.
Snedeker, 5th and 8th.
Els and Kim, (both languishing in abysmal form).

7).Apart from the aged Fred Funk, there is no PGA Tour winner who could be described as a local. But: Mike Fluff Cowen is a member at Congressional, and a fine golfer in his own right. That may explain Furyk's terrific record here, but Jimmy's been out of sorts this year and it's difficult to believe Fluff can help him to the winners' enclosure.

8).Been having a look at Paddy Power's prices, and my five European value bets, paying each way down to 6th, are:
11/1 Westwood
60/1 Garcia
66/1 Karlsson
70/1 Rose
200/1 Noren.
My three to beat the field would be Choi, Mahan, Westwood, not necessarily in that order! Sure Donald and Stricker are among those in superb form (and Stricker also has a good record here) but this course will be unrelenting to shorter hitters unless they hit at least 75% of the fairways; it's not just the long irons into greens, it's the strength to get out of jail.

9).Before we know it, we'll be talking about Royal St.George's and the R&A mini-money-list is now led by, yup, Harrison Frazar, followed by Goydos, Jobe, CHIII and Holmes.

10).Lastly, the Nationwiders are hard at it in Kansas, Christian and Owen hopefully putting four good rounds together and Russell Knox rediscovering his form of a few weeks ago.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour / US Open: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour / US Open: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by EmmDee57 Thu 16 Jun - 16:42

Me neither Kwini, I had £5 e/w on him. Should've went for his fellow countryman instead.

The 200/1 on Louis was screaming at me this morning but I talked myself out of it as he's shown no form up to now. Don't expect him to be there come Sunday mind you.

EmmDee57

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour / US Open: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour / US Open: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 16 Jun - 16:47

The first groups are going to have their work cut out to finish inside five hours. Don't care how hard the course is, that's absolutely pathetic; the final groups will probably be closer to six hours. Whatever next?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Thu 16 Jun - 16:55

I was gonna have a moan about the two tee start, with a big gap in the middle of the day where no one tees off; much prefer the Open's method of start early, finish late, but everyone goes from the 1st. But with those round times, maybe they know what they're doing... half the field would be finishing in the dark.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 16 Jun - 17:04

Ned,
They always used to play off the first hole only, but too often guys would be finishing the following morning. No big deal Thursday / Friday but a definite problem Friday / Saturday. Think they changed it about ten years ago.
But: They could easily tee off at 6.30 a.m. and make them play more quickly, with penalties applied for slow play. First group just finished!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Thu 16 Jun - 18:12

Cheers Kwini, like you say it should be doable, they manage it at the Open after all.

Not been hugely impressed with the coverage so far. Too much putting (standard US complaint), too many mistakes where they never bother telling us who we're seeing, or else leave the caption up for so long that it's there for the next player too, and several instances of leaderboards telling us what's happened before we've seen it. I still think the BBC do this best, whatever you think of the people they employ to talk over it.

See Stenson is setting out to prove me wrong after criticising him upthread. Maybe he needs to play with Swedes every week.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by EmmDee57 Thu 16 Jun - 18:57

Is there a better scoreboard online than the one here

http://www.majorschampionships.com/usopen/2011/scoring/index.cfm

EmmDee57

Back to top Go down

Post by EmmDee57 Thu 16 Jun - 19:08

Found one on the official US Open page, it'll do.

EmmDee57

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Thu 16 Jun - 19:10

Anyone know the cut? Top 70 & ties like a regular US event??

Agree Ned, I wish we saw more driving..................

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Thu 16 Jun - 19:16

EmmDee57 wrote:Found one on the official US Open page, it'll do.
The US Open one is more up-to-date, but less user friendly than the other...

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 16 Jun - 19:33

John C,
Top 60, 99% sure they include anyone within ten shots of the lead, just conceivable they might have changed that.

Regarding coverage: Biggest problem here is that, apart from showing so many putts go in on tape delay, the ESPN commentators are mostly out of touch with today's players, Andy North and Bill Kratzert being notable exceptions. The ESPN (w)anchors and Curtis Strange and Paul Azinger are doing one of just one or two golf gigs a year, hopelessly living in the American past.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Thu 16 Jun - 19:47

At least we don't get that Kwini, Sky have got their guys over, though the downside is that their guys include Montgomerie. Butch Harmon on for now though, like his commentary a lot.

It's the production that's been the main problem, editing has been very poor. Just saw Quiros' birdie putt twice for no good reason, and those sort fo things have been happening all afternoon

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Thu 16 Jun - 20:05

Probably been mentioned, but since the groups appear to put together rather than a in some ways random draw surely putting Watney instead of Mickelson with McIlroy and D. Johnson would have been a nice, if slightly cruel joke.

Last edited by ryan86 on Thu 16 Jun - 20:12; edited 1 time in total

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 16 Jun - 20:05

You don't have to listen to Azinger talking about Matteo's Spanish temperament then. Well, they're all foreigners aren't they?

And to think that ESPN constantly apologize during their Open Championship coverage for the BBC pictures.

NBC and Golf Channel have now joined forces and Golf Channel's continuity has always ben terrible - I think we're all seeing some of that now.

Just saw Karlsson's card - what a disaster!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 16 Jun - 20:06

ryan: thumbsup

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 16 Jun - 20:18

Great news from South Carolina that RBC has signed up as sponsor of the Heritage, played at Hilton Head Island's Harbour Town Links through 2016.

One of my favourite events on one of my favourite courses. Thrilled to hear the news!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 16 Jun - 20:39

Thats great news Kwini about HH, love the course and somewhere i'm trying persuade mrs mav to go back to. For all my wishes that sabbatini would have a mare and leave our screens and the event early he seems to be going well early doors. YE Yang opened nicely and franny molinari showing what fairways and greens can do, Sergio a good start and what happeed to Stenson a round under par! Hoping Mahan can continue solidy and strike on sunday for me

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Thu 16 Jun - 20:53

Phil having an interesting round, wonder what his thought process was to take driver out of the rough. How he is only 2+ is amazing.

Rory starting nicely and good to see Sergio having a good start.

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 16 Jun - 20:57

Mav,
The whole kwini family loves Hilton Head, the male members love Harbour Town. Try to go to HHI once a year, play HT about once every four or five trips - quite expensive I think, but a Championship course that's very playable for the average hacker, viz me.

Whatever his travails, Robert Rock is off to a good start, even par after six holes.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 16 Jun - 21:02

Kwini agreed it is pricey but have to say it's one of those course that i gladly open my wallet for the layout and feel of the place for me is just perfect, the ideal place to play out my golfing days if i'm ever so lucky...

Rock has probably no expectations due to his build up and that will help. Phils certainly being cavalier and entertaining the crowds

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Thu 16 Jun - 21:03

I like sportsmen growing beards, and despite everything I kind of like Sabbatini... but that's a rubbish effort. Seems to be helping though. There's a lot of players in this field I'd be less pleased to see win than him, if only to wind up Timmy Finchem.

Meanwhile... other Rory!!

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 16 Jun - 21:19

Heftie Lefty took a driver out of the rough? I must've missed that!

I wonder why s_r doesn't have more to say about Phil the dough-boy

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Thu 16 Jun - 21:22

Not just out of the rough either.... sitting down in some wispy stuff in the middle of a load of trees - hence the driver, to keep it low enough to get back to the fairway. Was a bit of panic among the commentators in case he caught a flier and send it shooting into the gallery on the far side... pulled up just short of them in the end.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Thu 16 Jun - 21:35

i must say i love the way this course is set up........good shots are rewarded.......unlike the lottery of some previous US Opens...............

Team Ireland going well........................

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 16 Jun - 21:41

Rory! Good to see him back on the horse. Said it before and I'll say it again ... he's got "it". Would love to see him take this tournament by the throat. Keep it going.

Meanwhile, World #1 hardly looking like the person to beat and Phil the Thrill looking equally benign.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Thu 16 Jun - 21:48

Sorry for digressing but is Ross Fisher the only Ryder Cupper not in this event??

Shameful by the USGA that their "qualification" system has let this happen........Fisher is marginally outside the Top 50 and was not otherwise exempt. With a field of 156, the top 120 at least in the World Rankings should be here...............

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 16 Jun - 21:59

I'm thinking some of the morning starters might be reflecting they gave Congressional too much respect. Very disappointing to see Westwood bogey the two par 5's on the front - we've noted his propensity for not taking advantage of par 5's several times before, like a broken record.

Fisher and Woods are the only Ryder Cup non-runners John; in all fairness Fisher only had himself to blame, contriving to miss cuts due to badly-timed bogeys, making a total horlicks of the final nine holes at Wentworth to fall from 10th-ish to the forties, etc, etc. No consolation Fisher would have qualified under next year's criteria.

The USGA would say taking top top 120 in the owgr's would make it Not Open, rather like The Open Championship has become . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Thu 16 Jun - 22:07

Interesting that they are changing the criteria for next year........more qualifiers from OGWR??

I believe the Majors should reflect the World game, by which the OGWR are the barometer as to who are the best......................I disagree with the "OPEN"
ethos that the USGA & R+A stick with.......................

Isin't The Open Top 50 in the OWGR also??

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Thu 16 Jun - 22:13

Damn,
Keep missing any shots they're showing of Rory while playing hide and peek with the bosses. Work is a poor excuse to miss watching the Majors. Is he hitting the ball well or just scoring well. Have only been able to keep up with most of the action via website leaderboard. Darn... just missed another birdie!

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Thu 16 Jun - 22:14

I mean an eagle?!

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 16 Jun - 22:26

Well, You know what they mean John.

NBC were saying that Butchie Harman missed his initial broadcast time with Sky this morning because he was helping Phil on the range. Not sure whether St.Butch has told that tale, but regardless, Phil still needs some help.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 16 Jun - 22:31

venice,
Rory's been playing beautifully, driving well, nice irons and making some good putts. Two par fives to go, but that's probably what Westwood thought and look what happened to him.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 16 Jun - 22:39

Super eagle opportunity, if ESPN would just show it.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Thu 16 Jun - 22:43

What do you know, just caught a glimpse of Rory walking up the 6th fairway but now commercial time. *#&@%#!

Thanks for the update, kwini. At least I can't (audio off) listen to the ESPN commentary.

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Thu 16 Jun - 22:49

Just missed eagle opportunity, tap in birdie

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu 16 Jun - 22:51

That was some tee shot from Johnson there.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Thu 16 Jun - 22:57

Great par save there by Mickelson on the 7th

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 16 Jun - 23:05

If Rory hangs on to his first round lead, he'll've led Round 1 in three of the last four Majors. He finished 3rd in the other one.
Wonder if that's ever happened before?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Thu 16 Jun - 23:17

Good to see that 3 of the last 4 major winners are near the top. Solid putt by Rory on 8. My god, they televised him driving the ball on 9. Miracles by ESPN never cease to amaze...

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 16 Jun - 23:22

Are Fatty Tirico and Paul Azinger the two worst-dressed anchors you've ever seen. Good Lord!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Thu 16 Jun - 23:30

Imagine that... people are paid good money to take care of such production matters. Excellent shot from the long stuff by Rors.

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by graeme Thu 16 Jun - 23:57

so glad i switched on with rory's group on the 11th, their 2nd. what a round of golf! i think he had one par putt from outside 3 or 4ft. sublime golf and if a few more biride putts had dropped which skimmed/ lipped the hole, he could have been much lower, incredible! keep it going laddie!!

graeme

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Fri 17 Jun - 0:00

kwinigolfer wrote:If Rory hangs on to his first round lead, he'll've led Round 1 in three of the last four Majors. He finished 3rd in the other one.
Wonder if that's ever happened before?

Don't know Kwini, but back in the 1980s, didn't Greg Norman once have the dubious honour of heading the field going into the final round of all 4 majors consecutively whilst only winning the British Open?
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 17 Jun - 0:25

I believe that's right, shanking, Norman's records get talked about as an under-achiever but in fact his record is superb. We can all think of ones that got away but extraordinary what he accomplished.

Ryan Palmer is the only American in the Round 1 top nine. Watched him play a few holes three years ago when he was struggling to keep his Tour card.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 17 Jun - 0:32

Great stuff from Rory....Flawless. But will he maintain it though?

I am sure the USGA are already planning nightmarish flag positions for tomorrow plus playing the course at full length you would imagine!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 17 Jun - 0:36

Hi benson,
Sure you're right about the USGA's evil intentions but tonight's downpour will mitigate against ridiculously fast and/or firm greens; I'd think he'll likely get the most favourable conditions Friday morning, big IF, IF he can drive it in the fairway.

Westwood and tomorrow's over par afternoon "wave" will have it all to do. My predos just about to go up in smoke!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 17 Jun - 0:41

But with the extra length with lack of run and the wipsier rough will that mitigate the fast greens becoming slower though?

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 17 Jun - 0:51

But don't you think Rory has power to spare compared to 95% of his fellow competitors?
I think the leaderboard shows that above-average length, and above-average accuracy off the tee will be the keys to Congressional success. If, as Azinger keeps repeating, there are only three wedge-second-shot par 4's, you'd think the Luke Donald / Jim Furyk / Toms / Stricker type game will really struggle.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 17 Jun - 1:01

Yep true but what I was meaning will scoring not be as tough with the longer course rather than the shorter course it would have played with firmer conditions?

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 17 Jun - 1:05

One of the pleasant surprises today was Henrik Stenson returning to form....He hit 13 out of 14 fairways seems he may have found something (although he probs avoided his driver)

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Fri 17 Jun - 10:32

Great display by McIlroy yesterday. I just hope his putting will stand up when his irons arent quite as hot. He will start to miss some greens and leave himself more of those 6-10 foot par putts. Thats what had him shaking at the Masters before his 10th hole meltdown. The plus this time around is being a US Open he will probably have to start making those par putts a bit sooner that Sunday afternoon.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next