The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Amir Khan eyes Floyd Mayweather/Victor Ortiz winner

+14
Seanusarrilius
sonic_boom10
BALTIMORA
Day V Lately
Young_Towzer
oxring
School Project
WelshDevilRob
DavidBlunkettsuppercut
jimdig
1weight1champ
The Galveston Giant
TRUSSMAN66
Steffan
18 posters

Go down

Amir Khan eyes Floyd Mayweather/Victor Ortiz winner Empty Amir Khan eyes Floyd Mayweather/Victor Ortiz winner

Post by Steffan Fri 17 Jun 2011, 6:57 pm

Amir Khan says he wants to challenge the winner of the Victor Ortiz and Floyd Mayweather fight in the UK.
The Bolton-born fighter is currently preparing for the defence of his WBA light-welterweight title against IBF champion Zab Judah on 23 July.

Khan said "I'd like to fight the winner of Ortiz or Mayweather maybe next year.
"That could be a good fight for me in the UK where we haven't had a big fight like that in a long time."
Mayweather is preparing for his latest return to the ring when he challenges Ortiz for the WBC welterweight title on 17 September.

Khan says he is fully focused on his title defence against Judah but is already looking ahead to another fight at the end of the year, before moving up a division.
"Having ambitions in life pushes and drives you on. I'm hoping to get Zab Judah out of the way and look good against him then get one more fight at the end of the year and then hopefully move up to welterweight," said the Bolton fighter.
"Everywhere you go in America they hate Mayweather but in England they love him. He deserves respect though because he's a great fighter and a great champion.
"It would be massive to get him down to England because there's no one else at our weight who could get him over. I think at one time he did hint he wanted to fight in England and this could be the fight for him."

Regards

Steffan

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Amir Khan eyes Floyd Mayweather/Victor Ortiz winner Empty Re: Amir Khan eyes Floyd Mayweather/Victor Ortiz winner

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 17 Jun 2011, 7:02 pm

God no..let it be Manny next after Ortiz.....

Khan is a name for Mayweather though and one of the biggest out there...plausible for sure.

His height and jab will also give Floyd problems early....

His defence would let him down though sooner or later...

Manny v Floyd please instead..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Amir Khan eyes Floyd Mayweather/Victor Ortiz winner Empty Re: Amir Khan eyes Floyd Mayweather/Victor Ortiz winner

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 17 Jun 2011, 7:05 pm

I'll second that, Amir stop trying to sign a fight with Floyd, don't you know there's a fight which needs to happen for the whole of boxing first.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by 1weight1champ Fri 17 Jun 2011, 7:24 pm

When will he learn? He was talking about Bradley before he "beat" mcclosky but his lack of respect in over looking his next opponent (who let's not forget is a 5 time world champion who has shared the ring with some of the best 140lb fighters in recent times) takes it to a whole new level. This young lad should THINK (something he seems incapable of) before he speaks. He has a uncanny knack of anoying people doesn't he?

1weight1champ

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Fri 17 Jun 2011, 7:31 pm

I honestly believe that contary to the bad press that Khan gets, that the kid actually thinks he's the best boxer in the world. I think he'd get in the ring with anyone, I don't think there is a chance of seeing that Spinks/Bruno look across his face no matter who he gets in with. Granted the guy is deluded, but I think that is his frame of mind.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidBlunkettsuppercut Fri 17 Jun 2011, 7:33 pm

I doubt Amir will ever fight Mayweather because when the mega fight with Manny does happen that will be his very last fight regardless of the result, even if it did happen Mr Khan will be in big trouble. Silly Amir Kon......
DavidBlunkettsuppercut
DavidBlunkettsuppercut

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Fri 17 Jun 2011, 7:35 pm

Amir is dreaming. Why is Floyd going to come to the UK when he didn't for a fight with a far more popular UK fighter in Ricky Hatton.

Amir pipe down and give Bredis Prescott a rematch.

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 17 Jun 2011, 7:37 pm

He fought Ricky Hatton though....

Whether he fights Khan depends on two things..

1. Manny.

2. If he needs the money.

Khan is a marquee name now...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Fri 17 Jun 2011, 7:38 pm

His frame of mind was more than likely scrambled when Prescott slapped him a good 'un.

I agree with 1weight1champ, Khan has consistantly overlooked opponents and can see this being his undoing. The real fact of the matter is, he's just trying to get his name out there by calling out the top dog... no different to Froch when he was obsessing over Calzaghe.

I'd still love to see Mayweather knock him out though.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 17 Jun 2011, 7:40 pm

People want Haye knocked out by a ukrainian...you want Khan knocked out by an American...

Pretty poor stuff..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Fri 17 Jun 2011, 7:40 pm

I think Khan v the loser, i.e Ortiz, is more than likely, that's a fight that has been simmering since Ortiz blew it against Maidana.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Fri 17 Jun 2011, 7:42 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:People want Haye knocked out by a ukrainian...you want Khan knocked out by an American...

Pretty poor stuff..

Nationalism is an infantile disease. T'was Einstein who said that. Why should they HAVE to support the British challenger?
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Fri 17 Jun 2011, 7:42 pm

People want Haye knocked out by a ukrainian...you want Khan knocked out by an American...
Damn right!

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 17 Jun 2011, 7:43 pm

"Pride in one's country and one's countrymen is an admirable trait.."

Andrew Jackson sixth President of the USA..

Einstein was an eccentric wally.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Fri 17 Jun 2011, 7:51 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:"Pride in one's country and one's countrymen is an admirable trait.."

Alot of American presidents were Welsh, so I feel free to back the Good old U.S of A.

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 17 Jun 2011, 7:53 pm

You know the score Welshy.......

always "back" a winner..

Though there was more American in them than Welsh/Irish etc... Wink

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Fri 17 Jun 2011, 7:55 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You know the score Welshy.......

always "back" a winner..

Though there was more American in them than Welsh/Irish etc... Wink

Haha, Yes.

On a plaque mounted on the east façade of the imposing Philadelphia City Hall, the following inscription is found:

Perpetuating the Welsh heritage, and commemorating the vision and virtue of the following Welsh patriots in the founding of the City, Commonwealth, and Nation: William Penn, 1644-1718, proclaimed freedom of religion and planned New Wales later named Pennsylvania. Thomas Jefferson, 1743-1826, third President of the United States, composed the Declaration of Independence. Robert Morris, 1734-1806, foremost financier of the American Revolution and signer of the Declaration of Independence. Governor Morris, 1752-1816, wrote the final draft of the Constitution of the United States. John Marshall, 1755-1835, Chief Justice of the United States and father of American constitutional law.

There have been at least seven U.S. Presidents with Welsh ancestry including Thomas Jefferson,[3] Abraham Lincoln, John Adams, John Quincy Adams, James Garfield. Confederate President Jefferson Davis was also of Welsh extraction.

I'd like to add Roy Jones jnr to the list. Very Happy

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by Day V Lately Fri 17 Jun 2011, 7:56 pm

The soul and substance of what customarily ranks as patriotism is moral cowardice — and always has been. Mark Twain

on topic, I also think Ortiz is a more likely opponent for Khan, but only if he loses as expected. Stranger fights have been made though, I wonder if Khan would except olympic style testing.

Day V Lately

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 17 Jun 2011, 7:59 pm

He still bugs me, Khan, but i find i can laugh at him now, probably because his level of opposition is good now, unfortunately i want him to get beat every time he fights, mainly due to the disrespect he showed his opponents and the fans early in his career, he still does it.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Fri 17 Jun 2011, 8:06 pm

I've tried to take to Khan but he comes out with some stupid things though I put that down to his naivety. Also, his handlers seem like money grabbers and over estimate his worth so that they can get a piece of the pie. I still don't rate his chin and believe if he gets tagged properly, he will go regardless of whether the opponent is World class or not.

Mind, I did like this recent Khan quote: "I get more people at my weigh in than Bradley does at his fights" Very Happy

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri 17 Jun 2011, 8:12 pm

Hell, there's more people on your average episode of Come Dine With Me than there are at your average Bradley fight.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 17 Jun 2011, 8:13 pm

I believe in the future Khan will have a book of quotes just like Mr Bush himself, i agree on the chin Rob, the maidana fight showed me he could take a better shot than i thought, but his legs go straight away when he's tagged, he will be knocked out cold soon i think, he rolls with the punches better and his defence has improved a lot but he'll never repair his chin IMO.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 17 Jun 2011, 8:14 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:Hell, there's more people on your average episode of Come Dine With Me than there are at your average Bradley fight.

I'm quite partial to a little episode of Come Dine With Me.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri 17 Jun 2011, 8:19 pm

It's a guilty pleasure of mine too. Just watched one with the most annoying scouse vegetarian you could imagine. Can't help but think that Khan probably heard someone else use that line he used and chose to remember it for his own use. He doesn't seem the brightest of sparks, and that's what leads to him making gaff after gaff and putting so many people off him.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by sonic_boom10 Fri 17 Jun 2011, 8:39 pm

Floyd would end glass chin Amir's career.

sonic_boom10

Back to top Go down

Post by 1weight1champ Fri 17 Jun 2011, 8:54 pm

Thinking your the best and thinking your invincible are 2 different things all together, I hate it when he refers to himself as "amir Kahn" but this obviously shows that his delusion comes from a member of his team blowing wind up his bum 24/7

1weight1champ

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 17 Jun 2011, 8:54 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:It's a guilty pleasure of mine too. Just watched one with the most annoying scouse vegetarian you could imagine. Can't help but think that Khan probably heard someone else use that line he used and chose to remember it for his own use. He doesn't seem the brightest of sparks, and that's what leads to him making gaff after gaff and putting so many people off him.

Definately get a few characters on it Balti that's for sure, i seen an Irish version on a download site which must have just started recently.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by 1weight1champ Fri 17 Jun 2011, 8:59 pm

Bum? Don't tell me mild swear words arnt allowed on a boxing forum

1weight1champ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 18 Jun 2011, 10:08 pm

WelshDevilRob wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:"Pride in one's country and one's countrymen is an admirable trait.."

Alot of American presidents were Welsh, so I feel free to back the Good old U.S of A.

Er, like whom? "Alot?"

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Sun 19 Jun 2011, 6:41 pm

andygf wrote:
WelshDevilRob wrote:

Er, like whom? "Alot?"

Jefferson, for a start. John Adams and his son, John Quincy Adams. Monroe and Harrison both with strong Welsh connections. 5 of the first 6 presidents with Welsh ancestry. Nixon and Lincoln "believed" (although the evidence is a bit tentative and unclear to my eyes) to have Welsh roots. The confederate president Jefferson Davis had a Welsh wife and, again was of Welsh ancestry.

Hope that answers your question.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 19 Jun 2011, 9:59 pm

Mostly whigs and republicans........

Explains a lot.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 20 Jun 2011, 4:18 am

Hey guys. Sorry to litter the board bt just wanted all you good 606 peeps to know i have just started a boxing blog of my own. I will be doing fight predicitons, recaps, boxing news, polls and plenty more once i get into the swing of it. Also (for the mods here) i plan to PROMOTE 606V2,(see my link to here from my site) i think we have some great posters on here so i will be flowing traffic this way too. The blog is new but i will be posting regularly and would be very happy to have any of you on there. One former 606er has found his way on there (he was a controversial figure on here but im hoping he keeps it clean on my site) before anyone asks i am NOT his alter ego. the site is

maineventboxing.wordpress.com

Would be great to have you aboard. so get signed up,or just visit from time to time folks

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 20 Jun 2011, 9:31 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Mostly whigs and republicans........

Explains a lot.

Can always rely on Truss for a bit good ol' Yankie Ignorance

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Mon 20 Jun 2011, 9:36 am

Boxer in confidence shocker.

Khan wants to fight Mayweather, good on him.

The thing here is if it was a popular boxer saying he wanted to fight the best he would be praised.

Khan could say that he liked to eat cola cubes when he was a kid and it'd be twisted into some kind evil comment.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Mon 20 Jun 2011, 9:51 am

What is the big deal ?

Khan is the number 1/2 light welterweight now.

He's world class. If he beats Judah, I think it appropriate he chases a big fight next and there is no bigger fight than Mayweather.

He's got heart and will fight anyone. The comparison with Froch is appropriate: two exciting British fighters willing to take on the best.

They've both won me over and I'd support them wherever they came from.

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Mon 20 Jun 2011, 9:55 am

alma wrote:

We like our sports people to be humble, hence why Hatton was so popular. We're a nation of self-deprecators, not prone to tolerating rampant egotism.... I'm not saying this is a good thing of course....

Was he humble ?

Not really - fallible certainly. Hatton was terribly guilty of speaking about himself in the third person. Took himself very seriously.

He just loved to stuff his face and get bladdered. That's what the British public warmed to - and him supporting City.

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 20 Jun 2011, 9:59 am

fearlessBamber wrote:
alma wrote:

We like our sports people to be humble, hence why Hatton was so popular. We're a nation of self-deprecators, not prone to tolerating rampant egotism.... I'm not saying this is a good thing of course....

Was he humble ?

Not really - fallible certainly. Hatton was terribly guilty of speaking about himself in the third person. Took himself very seriously.

He just loved to stuff his face and get bladdered. That's what the British public warmed to - and him supporting City.

Never cheered on Hatton although I never cheered against him apart from the Manny fight. Didnt really have much of an opinion on him. Good fighter. Likes a drink. Can be quite funny to be fair to Ricky

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 20 Jun 2011, 10:00 am

Have to say having met and shared a few beers with Hatton his reputation for approachability is well deserved. Genuinely likeable and easy going bloke.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Mon 20 Jun 2011, 10:03 am

rowley wrote:Have to say having met and shared a few beers with Hatton his reputation for approachability is well deserved. Genuinely likeable and easy going bloke.

I don't doubt that and if stuck on a dessert island with one of them it would have to be Hatton as Khan is tedious and frankly seems a bit dim.

However, I find it hard to accept Hatton was humble after listening to his interviews over the years.

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 20 Jun 2011, 10:08 am

fearlessBamber wrote:
rowley wrote:Have to say having met and shared a few beers with Hatton his reputation for approachability is well deserved. Genuinely likeable and easy going bloke.

I don't doubt that and if stuck on a dessert island with one of them it would have to be Hatton as Khan is tedious and frankly seems a bit dim.

However, I find it hard to accept Hatton was humble after listening to his interviews over the years.

Craig Bellamy took it quite well when I threw up over his shoes to be fair. He drinks with my mate Neil so knew I was on the level

Last edited by Steffan on Mon 20 Jun 2011, 10:15 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : irrelevance and incomprehensibility)

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Mon 20 Jun 2011, 10:13 am

@Steffan - Is that a Hatton quote ?

I don't really get it.

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 20 Jun 2011, 10:16 am

fearlessBamber wrote:@Steffan - Is that a Hatton quote ?

I don't really get it.

No its a Steffan quote. Thats the thing about Steffan he is simular to Ricky in many ways...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Mon 20 Jun 2011, 11:02 am

Lads stop this now. Scott and Michaels, Sean - your posts have been deleted for obvious reasons. Do not abuse other posters, keep things on track. The discussion had somehow extended to Ricky's folksy charm. Please discuss that or I'll just lock the debate.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Mon 20 Jun 2011, 11:55 am

The winner will obviously be Floyd Mayweather.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down