The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AB's training squad

+8
TheGreyGhost
kiakahaaotearoa
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
funnyExiledScot
chewed_mintie
disneychilly
mickyt
blackcanelion
12 posters

Go down

AB's training squad Empty AB's training squad

Post by blackcanelion Wed 22 Jun 2011, 3:41 am

Players from the Hurricanes, Chiefs and Highlanders have been called into camp. The list is:

Chiefs: Ben Afeaki, Hikawera Elliot, Richard Kahui, Brendon Leonard, Liam Messam, Mils Muliaina and Sitiveni Sivivatu.

Hurricanes: Aaron Cruden, Hosea Gear, Andrew Hore, Cory Jane, Ma'a Nonu, Conrad Smith, Neemia Tialata, Victor Vito and Piri Weepu.

Highlanders: Jimmy Cowan, Tom Donnelly, Jarrad Hoeata, Colin Slade, Ben Smith and Adam Thomson.

Obviously more players will be added when the Crusaders or blues exit the comp.

Some notable ommissions include: Stephen Donald, Mike Delany, Tanerau Latimer and Jamie Mackintosh. Surprises include Jarad Hoeta and Colin Slade. Slade has spent almost the whole tournement injured, so his inclusion probably reflects the real fear about backups to Dan the man.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

AB's training squad Empty Re: AB's training squad

Post by mickyt Wed 22 Jun 2011, 7:56 am

I think Donald's exclusion is a surprise alright and will probably mean he comes to Europe at some stage soon in the future. Was he interesting Munster for a while?
mickyt
mickyt

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Wed 22 Jun 2011, 9:36 am

Not sure, but I'm picking him to go to europe, if he hasn't already signed. I think this is the end of his AB's career. Carter's resigned and there are a host of good flyhalfs coming through.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Wed 22 Jun 2011, 9:48 am

Am very happy from an ABs standpoint. Most of the NZ posters rated Slade the best behind DC so imagine they're glad Henry feels the same way.

After HK I reckon Donald would have to have played out of his skin to warrant consideration and this hasn't been the case. Have seen a couple of howlers from him this campaign too.

Gives these guys confidence that they're being considered too. Especially when Henry said he wants to give 7 and 10 backups game time.

The loudest whispers about signing Donald are from Bath, from what I can tell.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Wed 22 Jun 2011, 9:53 am

Donald Duck has been told he’ll be called up for the WC if required through injury. BBC reported a week or so ago he’d signed with Bath from after the World Cup so it’s likely we’ll see some sort of confirmation from club and player this week or next I would guess.

Sadly not good enough for the black jersey, but a good honest toiler nonetheless and copped more than he deserved (from myself included) after HK last year

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 22 Jun 2011, 10:56 am

So much mediocrity. I honestly have no idea why the All Blacks are even bothering with this event Wink

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 22 Jun 2011, 11:21 am

England rejects Whistle

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 22 Jun 2011, 11:30 am

Exactly. Aren't these just the players who haven't got the money to afford a plane ticket and lodgings in the UK for long enough to qualify for a real rugby country..... 8)

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 22 Jun 2011, 12:23 pm

Good to see some faith invested in players who haven´t been in great form. Corey Jane springs to mind and no panic signs including players who are injured like Dagg and Woodcock and of course Slade.

But will be interesting to see who makes the first team for the home 3N matches which are first up. I suspect that will be NZ´s A squad and then some tinkering in the away games.

First five is undoubtedly the talking point. Not unhappy to see Donald go but agree that the guy gets a lot of stick which is not always warranted. Maybe Slade will be the new Terminator with a titanium jaw or we´ll get rugby´s first ever jaw guard. Happy to see the kid included after some rotten luck, but my paranoid soul has an uneasy feeling about his inclusion.

Good to see McCaw is not being rushed back into Super 15 duties. These are scares that we could all do without but better for them to be happening at this part of the year.

It´s going to be a fascinating 3N as the Super 15 teams have a nice even mix from all the countries. There´s not one side dominating completely in each country which should make for some interesting squad announcements come the 3N.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Wed 22 Jun 2011, 12:28 pm

Kia, I'm not a out and out Crusaders supporter (less a Canterbury supporter!) but I am backing them through the playoffs in the usual absence of my Hurricanes.

Anyway,I'm not in the slightest bit worried by McCaw's absence as Matt Todd has shown that he has what it takes to step up to International level. The kid will get a knock game v the Sharks then if they win a hop over to SA for another test-like match v the Stormers who will be baying for blood. You can't buy that sort of experience, he's developing well for Henry and Co just in time for the WC

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 22 Jun 2011, 12:46 pm

Haha fair enough mate. I don´t envy you as a Hurricanes supporter. Sublime one day and like the weather atrocious the next. I´d support the Blues if they made it further than the Crusaders but I´m not exactly an Auckland supporter. Too many heartbreaking memories of matches for the Log of Wood and I don´t mean a carpenter on the toilet for those not familiar with that name. Ranfurly Shield might ring a bell for NH posters. But those were the days when tickets to grounds didn´t cost an arm and a leg and children spilled over the touchline because there were so many people.

Good to see Thomson included as he was on fire at the start of the season before the bogey jersey saga. But would like to see Todd there in the mix as well. Think he has a lot still to learn, especially on defence, but he´s definitely one for the future.

Read hasn´t been in electric form this season and to be honest the backup for the backrow is still a concern, which is not to say that there aren´t any options.

Will be interesting to see if Williams makes his comeback and Donnelley gets the locker room towley flick.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Wed 22 Jun 2011, 1:02 pm

How can a Cantab ever claim heartbreak in the Log with a Wellingtonian in the room?

I don't know why I always fell for the 'we can do it this time around' speil that was trotted out before humiliating losses to Auckland in 93 and you fellas in 95, I guess as a young kid I just wanted to believe that we could get up at last! With Mannix at the helm anything was possible but seldom probably

And anyway, you boys have Mr Walsh to thank for the 2001 debacle!

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Wed 22 Jun 2011, 1:10 pm

Pleased to see Hika in there. In my mind he's the number 2 hooker in the country. The turn around in the chiefs scrum and lineout was remarkable when he came on.

If I was a member of the Sky Commentary team I'd be tempted to say his background in basketball was ideal training for the Southern Hemisphere style of play Wink

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 22 Jun 2011, 3:37 pm

True enough Mintie. We had some good years at least with the Log. In the days of Steve Cleeve, I admit to being an Otago supporter in order to fly the flag for the South Island but I always had a soft spot for Wellington as well as North Harbour in the Walter Little Frank Bunce golden era. Bernie´s corner, Allan Hewson, Stu Wilson they provided me with some replay highlights in the backyard. Put that pack of Olo Brown, Sean Fitzpatrick and Craig Dowd, the Whetton Brothers, Michael Jones and Zinny in a black shirt and they were legends of the game. Put them in a blue and white jersey and they were vile atrocities that deserved to be shot. I guess we do know what it´s like to have Richie McCaw playing against you!

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Wed 22 Jun 2011, 3:54 pm

Has`nt Donald already signed for Bath,?

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by BATH_BTGOG Wed 22 Jun 2011, 4:19 pm

Yes he has
BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed 22 Jun 2011, 4:23 pm

Sorry I was just sniffing about for anyone with a Welsh surname...
I'll come back later Whistle

You've got 2 smith's in there so watch out for the english!
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Thu 23 Jun 2011, 12:54 am

It is just a training squad,but gives players who have been injured,or played well.Some sort of wider recognition and just maybe stop them going overseas
prematurely.
A case in point Aaron Crudens goal kicking was a liability,he has worked so hard on it.He has a nearly 80% conversion rating.
That`s up with the top Bok kickers,Colin Slade is a DC clone which is no bad
thing.When you consider players like Troy Bleyen dall and Anscombe and Sopanga coming through.
It is a sobering thought that six of the top NZ 5/8`s are going of shore Donald,McAlister,Berquist,Delaney,and probably Brett.That the conveyor belt
is already churning out replacements.
After the RWC when the dust settles and the 20 odd defectors around the AB squad are gone.2012,like 2004 and 2008 will be difficult for the AB`s.
But come 2013 they should be back on song.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 24 Jun 2011, 1:21 am

"Donald Duck has been told he’ll be called up for the WC if required through injury."

Saw that from GH. Personally I don't agree. I think SD is one of GH's very few bad calls as a coach (not picking Nonu in 07 was another) and he is clouding it over. I think he genuinely thought he was AB material and was badly let down in Hong Kong.

Donald is as he said an excellent team member, trainer, thinker, athlete with all the skills required of a top first five eights, and ticks all the boxes, unfortunately bar one- the ability to work under pressure at the International level.

In rushing his options in Hong Kong pressure clearly grew too great and he fluffed everything. Like Toeava, GH probably selected him once too often but after an iffy start Toeava has shown what he is capable of but still neds to shed that pressure monkey off his back. was brought in too young and it showed and in coming back too soon helped Donald make us look like chumps in Hong Kong. Luckily got better in the AI's.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down