The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Olympic golf......

+16
pedro
George1507
kwinigolfer
Nay
oldshanker
Hibbz
JDandfries
raycastleunited
gaelgowfer
beninho
sharrison01
super_realist
Davie
dynamark
drive4show
Diggers
20 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Olympic golf...... - Page 2 Empty Olympic golf......

Post by Diggers Fri 24 Jun 2011, 10:42 am

First topic message reminder :

...would you have bought tickets if it had been included next year, or at least tried to get tickets.
Also what tickets has anyone managed to get so far? Just heard we have tickets for the evening athletics meet that includes the mens 200 final and the mens triple jump so I'll get to see Mr Bolt and hopefully have a chance to see a Brit with a chance of winning a gold (thats Idowu, not Christian Malcolm in the mens 200....). So for all they cost a fortune and I know the whole thing has been a bit of a farce but we are very happy to be going.
And I would have applied to see the golf mainly because Ive never been to a pro event.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Olympic golf...... - Page 2 Empty Re: Olympic golf......

Post by sharrison01 Fri 24 Jun 2011, 2:44 pm

Raycastle, completely agree. Am yet to see a ball as well struck and with such a piercing flight as one by Tiger. Have tickets for the Friday but if he's not there then it'll be the hospitality tents for me...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 24 Jun 2011, 2:45 pm

raycastleunited wrote:ok super, what's wrong with going to a film premiere? I've been to a few. They normally have some entertainment and free drinks in the foyer and there is often a brief speech or Q&A with the director and leading actors.

I've been to a few golf tournaments live, and the stand out ocasion for me remains watching Tiger romp around St Andrews on the final day in 2000. As such, when I head dow to RSG next month he will be one of the people I am looking forward to seing most.

Ray, I'm sure it's fine if you are actually invited to partake in the film viewing, if you are just there to stand outside and wet your pants at the sight of Tom Cruise treading the red carpet that's a little bit sad don't you think?

Tiger "romp" round St.Andrews, sounds like a headline from the gutter press or a double entendre.

I'm playing the Old Course tomorrow, that will make me laugh as I think of that.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Fri 24 Jun 2011, 2:45 pm

Davie wrote:I also want to know what's wrong with being an Arsenal fan!

Davie, I'm afraid that you may be mistaken. The real question is "what's right with being an Arsenal fan..."

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 24 Jun 2011, 2:46 pm

sharrison01 wrote:Do athletes have to stay in the Olympic village? I'd be surprised if tour pro's would want to stay in bunk beds when they are accustomed to travelling around the world in private jets.

They dont have to but a lot of them choose to...like Murray at the last games even though he's clearly minted.....because its such a different experience for them.
Have a read of the link below for a pefect example -
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/7613581.stm

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri 24 Jun 2011, 2:49 pm

sharrison01 wrote:
JDandfries wrote:I honestly cannot believe anyone would rather watch Poulter than Woods!!

Seriously, if you would rather watch a wannabee wide boy, (who dresses like a complete t***) slap it round for 18 holes, than the greatest player of all time, then you have issues,a nd it is more than likely you who has been hoodwinked by the Red Tops into worshipping their hero 'Poults'

Are people really fanatical about Poulter?!? I thought that it was just 13 year old kids that were attracted by his clothes a few years back - he certainly has very little else to offer. Typical Arsenal fan for me...

As a golfer, I am not fanatical about him at all, I see him as a bit of a fake really, and an average professional, who due to his metal ability has achieved more than his talent could have alone!

Only thing I will say about him is, that the likes of Westwood and Donald could learn a few things mentaly from him!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 24 Jun 2011, 2:50 pm

sharrison01 wrote:Raycastle, completely agree. Am yet to see a ball as well struck and with such a piercing flight as one by Tiger. Have tickets for the Friday but if he's not there then it'll be the hospitality tents for me...

Harrison, you simply cannot be serious, can you?. If you don't go out and watch some of these guys then you are missing out on picking up some tips. Perhaps the best ball striker of the last 15 years, Garcia is well worth watching, plus the swings of Els, Donald, Ogilvy, Scott, McIlroy are superb to watch in the flesh.

Of course you're perfectly entitled to say that you've never seen anyone strike it like Woods (I personally don't think you've watched enough live golf, or have lived a blinkered life if you believe that) but it's a bit like saying that you aren't going to watch the football match because Messi isn't playing, but all the other best players in the world are. Seems bizarre.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Fri 24 Jun 2011, 2:50 pm

Diggers wrote:
sharrison01 wrote:Do athletes have to stay in the Olympic village? I'd be surprised if tour pro's would want to stay in bunk beds when they are accustomed to travelling around the world in private jets.

They dont have to but a lot of them choose to...like Murray at the last games even though he's clearly minted.....because its such a different experience for them.
Have a read of the link below for a pefect example -
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/7613581.stm

Or because Murray's as tight as bumholes...

Good article though - works really well if everyone has enough humility to get involved.

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Fri 24 Jun 2011, 2:52 pm

super_realist wrote:
sharrison01 wrote:Raycastle, completely agree. Am yet to see a ball as well struck and with such a piercing flight as one by Tiger. Have tickets for the Friday but if he's not there then it'll be the hospitality tents for me...

Harrison, you simply cannot be serious, can you?. If you don't go out and watch some of these guys then you are missing out on picking up some tips. Perhaps the best ball striker of the last 15 years, Garcia is well worth watching, plus the swings of Els, Donald, Ogilvy, Scott, McIlroy are superb to watch in the flesh.

Of course you're perfectly entitled to say that you've never seen anyone strike it like Woods (I personally don't think you've watched enough live golf, or have lived a blinkered life if you believe that) but it's a bit like saying that you aren't going to watch the football match because Messi isn't playing, but all the other best players in the world are. Seems bizarre.

Have seen them all before. They all hit it great but nothing that wows me and nothing I haven't seen or done at amateur level. Garcia maybe for his iron play but still no comparison with Tiger.

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Fri 24 Jun 2011, 2:53 pm

And as far as picking up tips, I'm not grabbing a beer and a curry with them and have a chance to pick their brains!?!

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 24 Jun 2011, 2:54 pm

JD, I wouldn't argue with watching Woods instead of Poulter IF he was still the best player in the world, but he's a million miles from that, so I'd rather watch someone who was actually in better form, that might be Poulter or in fact any other player in the top 30. It's far more likely to be Woods slapping it around than any one else of those top 30 players.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 24 Jun 2011, 3:00 pm

Lets be honest, all the pros hit it well. Cant say Id be that interested in plodding around a course after someone who was good but not great.
Id rather watch Els or Woods and hope Id still get a glimpse of the aura and talent that made them great.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 24 Jun 2011, 3:05 pm

Perhaps Diggers, but if someone was tearing it round and heading for a 62 whilst Woods was trudging around the course as if someone had doused his chips would you hang around waiting for that glimpse of genius or would you prefer to watch someone in form demonstrating the very best of tournament golf.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri 24 Jun 2011, 3:09 pm

You are letting your obvious dislike for Mr Woods cloud your judgement!

Tiger has no form, almost none at all in the last two years, but nothing would make me watch Ian Poulter over Tiger Woods.

Infact there are only a few players I would even consider watching other than Woods, they would be Watson, Garcia, Mickleson and Langer.

Regardless of how he scores, Woods is more than likely the best player I am ever likely to see, so why would I want to watch anyone else?

You wouldn't go to Barcelona to watch Espanyol play, you would go to watch Barcelona, regardless of how they were playing!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 24 Jun 2011, 3:10 pm

Well as Ive never been to a golf event and so it would be my first..and who knows possibly maybe my only one.....Id defintely rather watch Woods shoot 72 than one of the countless array of good players who I dont really give a monkeys about shoot a 62.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 24 Jun 2011, 3:22 pm

JD, I'd have no problem watching any player, Woods included if they were the form player at the time, playing swashbuckling golf and doing something really special
However, why would I want to go and watch someone who doesn't appear to even enjoy it himself, and is in such a wretched run of form (by his standards) that he's a mere shadow of himself. Is he the best player you're ever likely to see? Perhaps if you'd seen him in 2007, but not now.
What you are suggesting is that you wish to watch Woods because of what he once was, and not what he now is.
Let's say for example Woods played last week at the US Open, would you rather have watched him or McIlroy who was taking the tournament by storm, simply because of what Woods has done in the very distant past?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Fri 24 Jun 2011, 3:23 pm

Diggers wrote:Well as Ive never been to a golf event and so it would be my first..and who knows possibly maybe my only one.....Id defintely rather watch Woods shoot 72 than one of the countless array of good players who I dont really give a monkeys about shoot a 62.

Just one problem with that, so will half the rest of the spectators so you'll actually see very little! I've always found it mich more enjoyable and interesting following the small groups around. Very often there is nobody else and you can stand right next to the ropes and get great views when they are on the tee. Also interesting to listen to some of the things they discuss with the caddies in preparation for the shot.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 24 Jun 2011, 3:29 pm

The truth is Id probably hope to watch a few players.
But of course what you are completely avoinding SR is that this golfer in such awful, woeful form still finished 4th in his last major a couple of months ago. I might not see the full Tiger Woods but he is no way as diminished as you love to suggest.
But, and I really dont want to get into another Poulter v Woods thing.......honest....Poulter is one of the most sulky, surly miserable looking blokes on tour on the course and yet you still like him. You are a contrary man Super.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 24 Jun 2011, 3:40 pm

Diggers, bearing in mind you have said that you havn't been to a golf tournament you really aren't in a position to say whether Poulter is a sulky man or not. I've actually seen him have a great laugh in many tournaments, even when not playing well. Most golfers have sulks and grumps.

My point about Woods still stands though, of course Woods finished fourth, something you're always so glad to trot out as if it's some sort of barometer that he's still the worlds best golfer, yet by his standards it's poor, given that he's used to winning a high percentage of majors. Is it worth following round someone just to watch them perhaps finish fourth, or would it actually be better to watch someone tear up the course and brilliantly win the tournament.

Lets have a hypothetical situation, last weeks US Open, McIlroy is breaking records in the US Open, playing like no one ever has and you meet up with your mates afterwards, They talk about one of the best tournament performances in years, but all you can say is, sorry I was watching Woods try to finish fourth because I thought he might just show some of the form that he hasn't for over two years, sorry I missed all the good stuff.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri 24 Jun 2011, 3:45 pm

Poulter, is a none golf fan's/wide boys association with golf, as is Ian Wright and Spooney (coincidently two people 'Poults' tends to surround himself with.

And in answer to your question re the US Open, as I said before I would watch Woods everytime, certainly over McIllroy!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 24 Jun 2011, 3:49 pm

Well then JD, you'd miss a great sporting spectacle in the forlorn hope of seeing an unlikely comeback.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 24 Jun 2011, 3:50 pm

Super, they have this thing called TV now, its amazing, you get to watch people without having to actually be in the same place as them. I could equally say to you how many of Woods thousands of rounds of golf have you actually seen live ? Of course.....thats different isnt it.
Now lets have a think about Woods finishing 4th in his last major.....hmmm.....now does it a. make him an utterly woeful completely out of sorts player who really just doesnt deserve anyone playing a blind bit of attention to or does it b. suggest that there is still an awful lot of decent golf being played by that player that means he is still worth watching.
I think I'll let everyone else on the board decide the answer to that one.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 24 Jun 2011, 3:57 pm

The difference between TV and actually being there is that you see a great deal more of what the actual person is like. when you see them up close.
So, I shall reiterate, I've never said that Woods is not worth watching, what I am saying is that blindly following him in the forlorn hope that this could be the tournament (yet again....) in which he returns rather than watch scintillating golf elsewhere probably isn't the way to get the best out of the tournament and your entry fee.

Of course, it's your money and your choice, but I don't think you'd get as much value for money if you came away and had missed all the best golf that was being played.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 24 Jun 2011, 4:10 pm

There isnt anything blind about watching a guy who can still play well enough to finish 4th in a major. Clearly during the round he will still hit some great shots, he is clearly still playing some very good golf whilst hitting some bad shots as well.
I dont care whether he wins on the day that Id see him, what Id care about is knowing Id seen Tiger Woods, one of the greatest players ever, play some golf.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri 24 Jun 2011, 4:17 pm

Any none golfer reading this may think Tiger Woods to be an abject failure!!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 24 Jun 2011, 4:18 pm

Diggers, If you ever go to a tournament and your viewing isn't dependent on the whims of the TV director then it's a completely different experience watching a golf tournament. You see great shots by all players and you see bad shots by all players.

So, if it was one of the comps that Woods didn't come fourth in that you were watching, and he was instead one of the many ones in which he was an also ran in the last two years, would you still hang around in anticipation of a Lazarus like recovery?

He can be worth a look now and again, but I doubt I'd waste a whole tournament watching any player in entirity.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Fri 24 Jun 2011, 4:20 pm

I agree with Diggers. I'd love to get the chance to watch Tiger Woods live just because of who he is not because of what he may or may not do.

In the same way many people still go to see Bob Dylan live. It's not as if you're expecting to see a performance of previous brilliance (if you are you're sadly deluded) you just want to see a living legend.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 24 Jun 2011, 4:23 pm

OK, so you are now psychic as to who is going to play well on any given day ? Rory has shot plenty of average rounds in the past two years as well. It would have been a different story watching him play the 4th round at Augusta rather than at the US.
As Id said earlier Id watch a few players as well probably, but if I could only watch one, Id take my chances with Woods.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri 24 Jun 2011, 4:26 pm

I don't think there is any point going to a golf tournement, unless you have a few players you would like to watch (maybe even just one) cos otherwise you won't see much at all.

Otherwise yu will be running around ficklely watching whoever is leading!

TV is better, and my preferred choice

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 24 Jun 2011, 4:28 pm

In that case then you stop watching Mcilroy and start following someone like Schwartzel.

Perhaps because I've seen Woods a couple of times before it isn't the hysterical, pant wetting, life changing event that people are making out, but if I go to a golf tournament, I want to see the best golf, I wouldn't go just to follow for the sentimental reason of seeing a man who used to be the worlds best golfer.

JD, you don't have to follow a group/individual, you can wait at a hole, tee, fairway and see a variety of golfers and golf shots.

Last edited by super_realist on Fri 24 Jun 2011, 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri 24 Jun 2011, 4:30 pm

It is impossible to see the best golf at a tournement unless you are phsycic or very lucky, impossible

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 24 Jun 2011, 4:33 pm

JD, the best golf, or the most exciting, dramatic and relevant golf usually comes from the leading groups. You don't have to follow an individual, you can watch plenty of groups come through before moving on.
Of course you'll never see as much as on TV but, watching one group or one player can be very boring.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 24 Jun 2011, 4:51 pm

I dont expect to wet my pants watching anyone hit a golf ball. But the fact is that Woods is one of the great sporting icons and the game may well never see another like him again. So while he is still capable of hitting plenty of good shots he's the guy Id want to see.
To be honest with your obsession with bringing him up at every opportunity I would imagine your pants would definitely end up wet if you saw him in the flesh.
Thou doth protest too much methinks.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 24 Jun 2011, 4:55 pm

Yes Diggers, I agree he was one of the greats, perhaps will be again, but not currently one of the great players, at the moment he's a bit like watching George Best when he played for Hibs, an undoubted talent who can potentially show flashes of brilliance, but not exactly as bright a star as he used to be, and there is undoubtedly better golf on offer to watch.

I've seen him on the golf course a couple of times, and it did nothing for me, I doubt i'd open the curtains if he was putting on my lawn, in fact I would, i'd open the window and tell him to "gerrof my laaaarnd".

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri 24 Jun 2011, 5:00 pm

SR, but if you sit at one hole, you won't see a variety of shots at all, you are more likely to see a variety following a group.

Sitting behind the 18th at Lytham, or the Old Course, how much variety wil u get there?

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 24 Jun 2011, 5:01 pm

super_realist wrote:
I've seen him on the golf course a couple of times, and it did nothing for me, I doubt i'd open the curtains if he was putting on my lawn, in fact I would, i'd open the window and tell him to "gerrof my laaaarnd".

Rubbish, you'd tell him to get back into bed and you know it.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 24 Jun 2011, 5:07 pm

Very droll Diggers, I expected better.
JD. If you stick to one hole yes, if you are round the loop at St.Andrews or the closing holes at Carnoustie for example you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Sat 25 Jun 2011, 1:20 am

super_realist wrote:Tiger "romp" round St.Andrews, sounds like a headline from the gutter press or a double entendre.

I'm playing the Old Course tomorrow, that will make me laugh as I think of that.

Thought I would throw that one in there after someone else mentioned the red tops earlier in the thread. Glad it raised a smile and hope you have an enjoyable round on Saturday (regardless of the score)!

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Sat 25 Jun 2011, 1:57 am

Diggers,

Definitely recommend you make the trip to Kent. Well worth the experience. There is solid golf to watch from dawn til dusk if you choose, so of course you can follow your favourite players and still have plenty of time to wander round and watch other groups, spend some time in a grandstand and of course the beer tent. Would also recommend going to a practice day for an opportunity to see some shots close up.

In an earlier post, you said they all hit it well. That may be true, but some hit it much better than others. As sharrison said Tiger's ball striking is phenomenal and a sight to behold, Garcia is the only player I have seen who matches him in this respect (there are probably a few more now who i haven't seen in the flesh eg Rory).

What surprised me is that there were a load of players who hit the ball only a little bit better than me... they just have a lot more consistency. The thing about Tiger these days is that he plays such awful shots which cost him dearly, that it overshadows the fact he still plays some fantastic shots. I was too young to see Nicklaus so at least I can say I saw the greatest player of my generation.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Sat 25 Jun 2011, 8:47 am

I had forgotten how entertaining the Digs/SR battles were!

Good to see you both at it again, invariably some little snippets of interest come out of these 'spats'.

And Digs, well done on getting those tickets, I am green with envy. Although, considering I didn't try for any, I shouldn't be that bothered.

When you look at some of the other 'olympic' sports, I can't see why golf should not be in there in some format. Tennis seems to manage it quite well.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Sat 25 Jun 2011, 12:48 pm

Out of interest would you prefer the Olympic golf to be stroke play or match play.

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 25 Jun 2011, 1:46 pm

Maybe Ray, I'd probably actually quite line to go to a low key event with less crowds so doubt I'll be seeing Tiger anyway. I think SR and I take it all in good spirit Oldshanker though my last comments may have offended his Daily Mail reading sensibilities.
The Olympic tickets are on the night of our wedding anniversary and my wife was a very useful sprinter in her day so it should be a great evening as we both love athletics.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 27 Mar 2014, 1:42 pm

Wouldn't it be good to see some of these threadsters back on 606v2 again?
Like Diggers!

Wait!

But now there's further news that construction of the Olympic course in Brazil is still behind schedule, and it looks like it won't be ready for the planned "Latin America Amateur Championship" due to be the test-drive for the Olympics.

Not surprising really, and even allowing for other manana tendancies from Rio, as course designer Gil Hanse has been busy in Miami with the Drumpf Doral re-do.

If there's a choice between being sure that Drumpf or Peter Dawson is a satisfied customer, who would you think Hanse would cow-tow to? I know he's not driving the bulldozers, out in the bunkers with his bucket and spade or planting trees and grass, but you'd think he'd at least be cracking the whip.

Golf in the Olympics? In Rio??

Hope it all works out and comes right on the night, but you wouldn't bet on it right now. Would you?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 27 Mar 2014, 7:27 pm

To be fair Kwini, it's not just the golf they are having problems with. Brazil having the WC and the Olympics back to back was utterly crazy really.
Usually everything comes together, I never had any doubts the UK would host a great games and we did, but I'm not sure this time that they will pull off a miracle twice.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Thu 27 Mar 2014, 7:44 pm

Running tracks and high jump pits and swimming pools don't need much time to mature.

Football stadiums need a little time for the grass to bed in.

Golf courses need years to play properly.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 27 Mar 2014, 8:08 pm

Agree Digs, but George's comments are also spot on - brand new greens were exposed at Doral in their haste to put the show on.
Difficult to believe that, in their haste to get golf in the Olympics, they decided to play their card in Brazil. Too bad they didn't wait for Japan and invest in South America in other ways.

Better than a World Cup in Qatar though, but not much.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 27 Mar 2014, 8:29 pm

I think the idea is to put golf on show to a TV audience who aren't familiar with it, that being the case I don't think the venue quality is hugely important really, not for the first outing.
Unless its Augusta one course looks much like another on the TV to the untrained eye. It's the big names like Rory and Tiger that the average Joe will want to see, they won't care about how fast the greens are running.
But I do agree a 4 year wait would probably have been prudent.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 27 Mar 2014, 9:15 pm

Surely they must have an existing course they can pimp up? How many years can that take?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Sat 04 Oct 2014, 10:19 am

I just had a thought about playing golf at the Olympics. Why not just have a longest drive competition? I am sure no pros will participate so the medals will go to people scarcely known.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Sat 04 Oct 2014, 11:43 am

Agreed, pretty much bang on the 'circus' style kind of event that the olympics thrives on. Could have closest to the pin too, and golf dressage, where they give marks for technique.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Sat 04 Oct 2014, 11:47 am

How many points would Tiger get for artistic impression?

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next