The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dan Ward-Smith

+2
yappysnap
Mr Bounce
6 posters

Go down

Dan Ward-Smith Empty Dan Ward-Smith

Post by Mr Bounce Fri 24 Jun 2011, 11:38 am

Posted this in the midst of the RWC squad selection topic but didn't get a response as there was a hefty debate going on about Foden, Armitage and Tim Payne so here it isas a topic.

Does anyone know what happened to Dan Ward-Smith? Thought he was in the EPS; He was in the touring squad last year in Australia as 8 & lock cover and had a cracking game mid-week. Know he got injured but seemed to be back to playing well for Wasps.

I thought he'd possibly be used as cover for back row and lock a la Martin Corry in 2003.

Now he doesn't seem to be featuring in the pre-RWC squad, and although he's in the Saxons squad, he didn't feature at all. Out of form? Out of favour? Injured again?

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Dan Ward-Smith Empty Re: Dan Ward-Smith

Post by yappysnap Fri 24 Jun 2011, 11:42 am

Injured, old and in poor form. We have much much better prospects who are younger and play week in week out.

Sadly due to injuries he missed his best chance for a call up and the teams moved on since.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 24 Jun 2011, 12:02 pm

At one time he was viewed as a potential Number 8 of the future for England. He had strength, speed, and a good Rugby brain. Unfortunately he suffered a terrible injury, which if recall was a dislocated or fractured kneecap. I think it was considered probably carreer ending (a dislocated kneecap is bad, fractured is even worse), but had an experimental surgical procedure which was mostly successful. The recovery was extremely challlenging, but eventually made it back on the pitch. He had other injuries afterwards and, consequently, never quite made it back to the level and promise he showed beforehand, Shame really. Another case of a young player with all in front of him sidelined by a terrible injury.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 24 Jun 2011, 12:39 pm

Grey...wasnt he in the training squads recently? We all know his "previous" with regard to injuries, just seems hes dropped back of the radar for not being good enough/too old now.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Fri 24 Jun 2011, 1:16 pm

He went on tour to Australia, then I think he was named in the Saxons in the July EPS announcement last year, but dropped off the radar a little bit. We have better options.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 24 Jun 2011, 1:19 pm

Unfortunately its seems to have jumped from one kiwi (DWS) to another....Waldrom.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 24 Jun 2011, 1:29 pm

Yes, he had made the training squads, in 2009 or 2010, I believe.

My opinion is that he is a terifically dedicated athlete and worked like a dog to try to get back to the top level. Unfortunately, and I know this oversimplifies a lot, there is only so much a body can handle. The rehab is sometimes as stressful on the body as the injury. And, now he is older, he has probably reached his current limit. Shame, because I thought he had a real future and and all the makings of a top level 8. And, to have the dedication to keep working against the odds, even just to play again, speaks to his mental toughness.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 24 Jun 2011, 3:26 pm

see also Steve Thompson who could have got himslef registered disabled and now will go to the world cup instead, and Harry Ellis who tried to keep going for a couple of years against the doctors advice.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Fri 24 Jun 2011, 3:42 pm

Didn't Thompson have to pay back a £500,000 insurance pay-out to start playing again?

Edit: mentions it in this article
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/13260238.stm

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down