The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If only Riddick Bowe knew about Lewis!!!

+6
Imperial Ghosty
The genius of PBF
ONETWOFOREVER
Young_Towzer
Sugar Boy Sweetie
TRUSSMAN66
10 posters

Go down

If only Riddick Bowe knew about Lewis!!! Empty If only Riddick Bowe knew about Lewis!!!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 01 Jul 2011, 9:51 pm

Two wins over Holy and a win over Lewis would probably have put Bowe in with the top 10/15 heavyweights of alltime!!!

Fact is had he known how there for the taking Lewis was when he struggled with Frank and got smashed out by MCCall then I'm sure he'd have took the fight for less of the pay he was asking...

Timing is everything in life...Bowe beats Correa's Lewis and loses to Steward's version later on!!!...

Riddick missed a trick and probably greatness with it!!!

If only Riddick knew!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

If only Riddick Bowe knew about Lewis!!! Empty Re: If only Riddick Bowe knew about Lewis!!!

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Fri 01 Jul 2011, 11:06 pm

Bowe maybe beats Correa's Lewis if he fights to the standard of holy 1. Lewis had already knocked him out in the olympic final, that kind of thing would be a psychological disadvantage to a mentally weak guy like riddick. No guarnatees riddick beats him, but it's a closer fight that against the Steward version of lennonx.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

If only Riddick Bowe knew about Lewis!!! Empty Re: If only Riddick Bowe knew about Lewis!!!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 01 Jul 2011, 11:08 pm

Didn't seem mentally weak in the heat of battle against an unbeaten Holy though Sweetie..

Politics rather than a weak heart kept Bowe from beating Lennox.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Fri 01 Jul 2011, 11:12 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Didn't seem mentally weak in the heat of battle against an unbeaten Holy though Sweetie..

Politics of his own doing, Lewis absolutely battered him as an amateur, he knew Lennox had his number the fat big mouthed no bottle plonker. Binning the title summed it up, maybe he knew something we all knew anyway = he'd be destroyed AGAIN.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 01 Jul 2011, 11:13 pm

Forrest Gump is alive and well..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Fri 01 Jul 2011, 11:28 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Didn't seem mentally weak in the heat of battle against an unbeaten Holy though Sweetie..

He didnt want it truss, the fight was there for him. He'd been beaten by lewis at the olympics and was wary of him. you can say its politics but the fact is he ducked lennox - which is a shame because he was a match for him at that stage.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri 01 Jul 2011, 11:30 pm

If only Riddick knew what exactly?That Lewis beat him in the Olympics, that Lewis was technically a better fighter then he was, that he could not win.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Fri 01 Jul 2011, 11:57 pm

Agree with what Sugar Boy Sweetie says, Bowe has a chance against pre Steward Lewis but I would still back Lewis as he has the psychological advantage.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 02 Jul 2011, 12:01 am

Truss you have the memory of a goldfish dude.This was recently discussed.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 02 Jul 2011, 9:23 am

Wrong if sparring partner mccall whacks Lewis out and Bruno outboxes him then Bowe beats him easy back then..

Bowe's legacy hasn't been discussed..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 02 Jul 2011, 9:56 am

Bowe had the ability to cause Lewis problems and possibly beat him back then but whether he could overcome his apparent mental issues with regards to him is something completely different.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 02 Jul 2011, 10:05 am

Overblown mental issues.....Holy was a better fighter at that time and his performance was stunnng...

Had Futch in his corner also...the greatest.

Futch thought Lewis was one dimensional and an easy night....even after the split with Bowe.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 02 Jul 2011, 10:24 am

He had issues with Lewis not Holyfield so who the better fighter is at the time is of barely any relevance much like Tyson fearing old man Foreman but no one else at the time.

Futch is one of the greatest trainers of all time but you need the raw materials to work with in the first place and aside from the Holyfield fights have been overly impressed with Bowe.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 02 Jul 2011, 10:38 am

Tyson feared Foreman did he.....

Futch was impressed.....

Look Lewis would've been a big underdog against Bowe...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeymax71 Sat 02 Jul 2011, 10:41 am

On his run to the title I was impressed with Bowe. Good hand speed for a big man, good arsenal of punches and appeared to have a decent chin. But once he beat Holyfield the first time he was more interested in the fame instead of the game.

I agree only the pre championship version of Bowe would have had a chance of beating Lewis. I know reference to Lewis struggling with Bruno (but apart from his rematch with Tyson Frank gave everyone a hard time in title fights) and eventual defeat to McCall, could make some people believe that Bowe would have taken him, but I think Lewis took these opponents lightly.

The Lewis who boxed solidly when focused had outclassed Ruddock, Mason in his best performances at that time would have tested Bowe.

After Steward got hold of him I think a Bowe/Lewis fight would have resembled Bowe/Golata 1 minus the fouls with Lewis chopping down Bowe in 7-8 rounds

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 02 Jul 2011, 10:49 am

Frank lost to the most disgracefully out-of-shape fighter I've ever seen in Witherspoon..flattened by Bonecrusher and apart from a single left hook devastated off Tyson twice....

Hardly a guy who should be outboxing Lennox...

I can't see a Correa Lennox posing any problems for Bowe..

However a bigger , clever Steward version who struggled contentiously with the useless Mercer does..

hence the article..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeymax71 Sat 02 Jul 2011, 11:19 am

Frank had no right fighting Witherspoon for me as it was over 15 rounds which I never believed Bruno had the stamina for and Witherspoon came up as a sparring partner for Ali, Holmes etc. and knew way to much for that version of Frank. As for the defeat to Bonecrusher, well Frank was a novice.

As for Lennox being out boxed by Frank I think that is a little over the top. For me it was more a case of Frank doing better than everyone expected. Yes Frank was competitive early on as he tends to be in all of his fights.

I would agree that the pre Steward version of Lewis would probably be an underdog to Bowe but if a smaller and badly beaten Holyfield could land punches on a prime Bowe in their first fight then I am sure Lewis would have connected also and it would have been interesting to see how Bowe responded to being hit back by someone of similar size.

Yes the Mercer fight was close, but Lewis had only been with Steward for a couple fights.

Truss, maybe you should look a little closer at Bowe's CV and question his performances. He was against a much smaller and older fighter in Holyfield and landed every punch in the book and could not out him away and yet this is Bowe's career best performance/result. He loses to Evander in the rematch and has to get off the floor to win the rubber match. His title defences were non discript as he beat Dokes, who had already been battered up Holyfield and Jesse Ferguson who was a Tyson victim in Mike's early years.

After losing the title meaningless wins over limited opposition in Donald, Goanzales and Hide before getting two lucky wins in fights where he was dominated by Golata who was fight with Lewis lasted less than the National Anthem.

Yes I think Bowe is underrated by I think your view of Lewis more than a little biased me thinks

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 02 Jul 2011, 11:28 am

Bruno was no 1 in the WBA ...Holmes and Spinks were in the midst of their IBF belt duel and the winner of Thomas-Berbick was obligated to fight Tyson..in the HBO tournament..

Who was he supposed to fight if not witherspoon??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeymax71 Sat 02 Jul 2011, 11:34 am

I was not talking about Bruno's ranking I was talking about from an experience and ability perspective. Frank was way too raw at that time to deal with what Tim brought to the table. After he beat Coetzee he should have taken on a Weaver, Williams et before taking on Tim. He was no where near ready for this level of competition.

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 02 Jul 2011, 11:37 am

Weaver knocks him out if he lands and Williams had just been flattened in 1986 off MIKE WEAVER!!!!...

Smith, Coetzee etc were enough names required to rush Bruno into a title shot..

His handlers knew him well enough not to risk a Weaver flattening ruining his career before a title shot..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeymax71 Sat 02 Jul 2011, 11:44 am

Weaver vs Bruno would have been a case of who lands first and as Frank was still very stiff and slow when he threw punches then I would edge to Mike.

I don't think Carl Williams ever battled Mike Weaver.

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 02 Jul 2011, 11:47 am

ko in rd 2 in 86 as I said.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeymax71 Sat 02 Jul 2011, 12:06 pm

Well KO magazine did describe Williams as a USA version of Bruno with a little speed back in the day.

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 02 Jul 2011, 12:09 pm

No they didn't..............Used to get KO every month my favorite magazine...with the predictor, head to head, fight confidential all in it!!! loved it!!!

Williams had quality skill, speed, great footwork but no power or chin....

Chin aside no resemblance whatsoever..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeymax71 Sat 02 Jul 2011, 12:13 pm

Yes they did Truss as I was also a fan of it. It was in the edition when they were a breakdown of the heavyweight division (as you know back then they did and in depth synopsis of a particular weight class) and I think they Tyson 7th and Bruno 8th.

Long time ago and not willing to die in the ditch over a throw away comment that I nicked from a publication!

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 02 Jul 2011, 12:18 pm

They said that Williams shared the same problem Bruno had..lack of chin as to why he wouldn't beat him...

In the williams-Tyson build up they said it was his lack of power that would cost him..

Hardly a problem Frank had..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeymax71 Sat 02 Jul 2011, 12:23 pm

Well I do not have my issue on front of me but maybe are looking at different issues or maybe it was from their sister publication World Boxing but it was definitely not the Ring.

Oh happy days!

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 02 Jul 2011, 12:27 pm

well I do not have my issue in front of me...

I've got my issue right here and it say's.....

"Don't ever argue with Truss because he's the greatest American export since Budweiser hit your Country"

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeymax71 Sat 02 Jul 2011, 12:39 pm

Budweiser??? Brother please, that fizzy water is rank!

Me, arguing, never. Merely highlighting the fact not everything you say is correct as this thread was about Boew against Lewis and because I obviously managed to hold my own on that topic you have chosen to pick up on a point, in this case Bruno and run with it.

However, I always enjoy your little matter of fact type debates as you have a lot of knowledge (even on 606), even if it is somewhat biased in your own favour. Very Happy

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 02 Jul 2011, 12:50 pm

Didn't you lot nick Budweiser from the czechs anyway

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 02 Jul 2011, 1:08 pm

Carl Conrad isn't a very Czechoslavakian name Ghosty!!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Sat 02 Jul 2011, 2:10 pm

No, but Adolphus Busch is (ish) who brought Budweiser to the States with Carl Conrad following a visit to a little place called Budweis located in what is now known as the Czech Republic.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Jukebox Timebomb Sat 02 Jul 2011, 2:56 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Frank lost to the most disgracefully out-of-shape fighter I've ever seen in Witherspoon..flattened by Bonecrusher and apart from a single left hook devastated off Tyson twice....

Hardly a guy who should be outboxing Lennox...

I can't see a Correa Lennox posing any problems for Bowe..

However a bigger , clever Steward version who struggled contentiously with the useless Mercer does..

hence the article..

...should Herbie Hide be the kind of guy who out-boxes Bowe?

Jukebox Timebomb

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 02 Jul 2011, 3:17 pm

Budweiser is derived from Budvar which is brewed in the czech republic

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Sat 02 Jul 2011, 4:32 pm

Budweiser is indeed an American adapted version of Budvar, which as ghosty says is brewed in the Czech Republic. Must stick in Truss's throat that - something he claims to be the US's greatest export actually coming from one of those former commie countries he hates so much! Budvar and Staropramen in Prague are the nicest lagers you'll ever have, they're brewed in the city so they don't add any chemicals or preservatives for export purposes, it's just pure and delicious - no hangovers either.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sat 02 Jul 2011, 4:49 pm

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:Budweiser is indeed an American adapted version of Budvar, which as ghosty says is brewed in the Czech Republic. Must stick in Truss's throat that - something he claims to be the US's greatest export actually coming from one of those former commie countries he hates so much! Budvar and Staropramen in Prague are the nicest lagers you'll ever have, they're brewed in the city so they don't add any chemicals or preservatives for export purposes, it's just pure and delicious - no hangovers either.

Sounds good Sugar Boy
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 02 Jul 2011, 5:30 pm

It's known as the greatest American beer...

and that will do me!!! Not going to go on wiki like you guys and dig worthless titbits!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Sat 02 Jul 2011, 5:33 pm

The Galveston Giant wrote:
Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:Budweiser is indeed an American adapted version of Budvar, which as ghosty says is brewed in the Czech Republic. Must stick in Truss's throat that - something he claims to be the US's greatest export actually coming from one of those former commie countries he hates so much! Budvar and Staropramen in Prague are the nicest lagers you'll ever have, they're brewed in the city so they don't add any chemicals or preservatives for export purposes, it's just pure and delicious - no hangovers either.

Sounds good Sugar Boy

It really is. My best mate has lived in Prague since '05 so I've spent a fair bit of time there, great place. The other good thing about the lager is it doesn't make you lethargic if you drink it in the afternoon the way the beers here do, you don't really feel like you've had a drink.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Sat 02 Jul 2011, 5:35 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:It's known as the greatest American beer...

and that will do me!!! Not going to go on wiki like you guys and dig worthless titbits!!!

Wiki? It's common knowledge Truss. They sell Budvar in a lot of places over here, you should try a bottle - it's nicer than budweiser which is fizzy and quite sweet.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 02 Jul 2011, 5:36 pm

Sugar Boy Sweetie, I've gone for the same bets for tonight! I trust your judgement so fingers crossed!

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 02 Jul 2011, 5:36 pm

Obviously not common knowledge it's called the greatest American beer..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sat 02 Jul 2011, 5:37 pm

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:
The Galveston Giant wrote:

Sounds good Sugar Boy

It really is. My best mate has lived in Prague since '05 so I've spent a fair bit of time there, great place. The other good thing about the lager is it doesn't make you lethargic if you drink it in the afternoon the way the beers here do, you don't really feel like you've had a drink.

That's what put's me off drinking beer a lot of the time and usually drink whiskey, would be up for some of the Czech beer though.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 02 Jul 2011, 5:38 pm

Afternoon drinking is for losers..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 02 Jul 2011, 5:53 pm

Common knowledge to you yanks maybe but us brits understand what good lager is and Budweiser is not. Strange how Budvar is really nice and Budweiser is disgusting, typical yanks ruining everything

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 02 Jul 2011, 5:55 pm

More of a vintage red wine drinker myself...

Some really good American red wines from the 1775-1782 period Wink

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 02 Jul 2011, 5:58 pm

Got to be australian, south african or french for any sort of wine

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 02 Jul 2011, 5:59 pm

British can drink it too..if they like!! Wink

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Sat 02 Jul 2011, 7:24 pm

andygf wrote:Sugar Boy Sweetie, I've gone for the same bets for tonight! I trust your judgement so fingers crossed!

Good luck andy, fingers crossed for both of us - although I'm not offering any refunds if they don't come off! Enjoy the fight mate thumbsup
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down