The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA TOUR - Northern Trust Open

+3
Doc
Davie
Maverick
7 posters

Go down

PGA TOUR - Northern Trust Open Empty PGA TOUR - Northern Trust Open

Post by Maverick Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:15 pm

This week the circus of Pro-Ams is over and we return to proper golf with the National Trust Open at Riviera Country club the scene of Sir Nick Faldo's last ever tournament victory.

Last years Winner Mr September Steve Stricker (Answers on a post card the winner gets naff all!).

He's back to defend his title in his 2 PGA tour starts this year he has had 2 top 10's as consistent as ever with a swing that is fantastic and simple, he's not long off the tee but hits over 75% of Fairways and is pretty much the same average GIR. Anyway enough of the Sticker love in!

This week is a good strong field with all the current 2011 winners featuring in Mark Wilson, Jhonathon Vegas, Bubba and D.A Points.

We have Louis Oosthuizen making his tour debut now that he has taken his PGA card on the back of his Open victory will he fair well or fail in his first year.

Major winners making an appearance other than King Louis this week are Big Phil who's struggled on the greens at Scottsdale and Pebble in recent events, Ogilvy and Goosen neither doing much so far this year but plenty of time for that to change, Vijay Singh who's had a good solid start and is still hitting it well and Trevor Immelman who has somewhat struggled since his Masters victory but hopefully he can return to the front pages of the leader boards or make a cut at least, but it's testament to SA golf in that 3 of the major winners playing this week are from there.

A host of upcoming players in the field too the likes of DJ, Watney and Fowler (someone please teach the brat how to win an event instead of trying to be a skaterboy)

Good British Contingent making up the field as well this week with Casey, Rose, Donald, Laird and Davis in the field so plenty to retain our interests.

All makes for a good week on the PGA Tour.

Last edited by Davie on Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:15 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Made sticky (and fixed some of the typos) ;-))

Maverick

Back to top Go down

PGA TOUR - Northern Trust Open Empty Re: PGA TOUR - Northern Trust Open

Post by Davie Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:48 pm

You know? It's odd that I have been a Sky Sports subscriber and watched the US golf for many years, yet for the year or two that it was taken by ESPN (or Setanta as it was originally) I didn't really miss it. Now that it's back I find myslf watching an awful lot again. Despite the many complaints about the coverage (most of which aren't Sky's fault) and some of the commentators and pundits, I find it great viewing later in the evening at weekends.

It's been noticable to me that they seem to be making more of an effort to tell viewers that they are NOT missing any live action when they cut to studio debates, and that it's all down to the host broadcasters. While this still isn't ideal and we'd all rather see live golf, at least it's setting the record straight that it's not Sky's fault. Di Dougherty is a pleasant distraction too.

Many of the commentators/pundits that I personally don't like seem to be on the middle east swing at the moment so the evenings have been fine with Di, Denis Pugh, and the other guy from this weekend (Hawksworth? I forget his name)

Makes a pleasant change from babestation News at Ten

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:09 pm

Davie I'm with you on this one, and very much including Di Stewart, but have a feeling we'll end up with Rob this week. To be fair the coverage from the states this last weekend was the usual inane rudey poo and not much golf, but I actually looked forward to the Sky studio chat, because of Di's legs ..... Very Happy

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:22 pm

Big Phil for the win (assuming he remembers how to putt between now and Thursday)

Does anyone else find David Feherty incredibly annoying?

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:32 pm

Els, Watney, Parnevik and funk all withdraw

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:14 pm

Anyone got any thoughts on how Casey, Rose and Donald may get on? Rose played some of the Hawaiin swing I believe and Casey had a couple of outings in the Middle East. Donald hasn't featured yet this year I don't think.

Can't say I fancy Rose to do anything spectacular; Casey can be so hot and cold but Donald is the real unknown for me this week.

Also surprised GMac hasn't chosen to play as a warm up for the Matchplay after he's had a few weeks off

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:51 pm

Agree with you on a warm up for most of the Euro tour players,like the way Hunter Mahan played over the w/end and would give KJ Choi a chance this week.I see on G-Mac`s schedule he is playing in the US until April probably why he is not having a warm up this week

Rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:33 pm

Maverick wrote: Ogilvy and Goosen neither doing much so far this year but plenty of time for that to change,

A wee bit harsh Mav, Ogilvy has played 2 events, T13 (should really have contended on sunday) and a Cut at pebble. Goosen a Cut, 3rd and 19th in his 3 events this year... neither letting themselves down.

I just noticed 'King' Louis Oosthuizen is 80/1 this week, a generous price imo. He is hitting the ball very nicely but cant buy his fair share of puts some rounds. I have dabbled at that price.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:38 pm

Big Phil is leading the tour on scoring average, yet is 1,353,853rd on putting average. A good week on the greens guarantees a Phil win... Speshly as he's won here twice in the last 3 years.

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:00 pm

RedRage

I was harsh but imo fair, those are 2 guys that should be doing better and winning more than they have recently, but Ogilvy is a good shout for the WGC

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:41 pm

Maverick wrote:RedRage

I was harsh but imo fair, those are 2 guys that should be doing better and winning more than they have recently, but Ogilvy is a good shout for the WGC

Yeah Ogilvy is overdue a win, a quiet season after his win last year but he is usually good for a win or two each year and he managed two early last year... so you are a wee bit unfair on him imo given that he has started fairly brightly and that he missed a couple with a finger injury.

Goosen on the other hand, is a player that should have won more recently. So many top 10s last year, but he doesn't seem the same player these days... part of me thinks he is done as a top player.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:31 am

Well looks like a tough day of scoring out on the Riveria.

Bubba pulls out with Stomache muscle complaint.

Freddie couples shrugs off an early bad start to stroll through to -3.

Good brit early contention with Laird -4, Davis and DOnald on -3. Proving you don't always need to be a big hitter to get into contention.

Defending Champion Stricker fought to an opening 73.

Big Phil once again is fighting with his putting, again hitting greens but not holing anything, a good outsider at early stage would be Jhonaton Vegas, he played solidly without actually making anything could come through the filed here

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:52 am

Maverick wrote:Bubba pulls out with Stomache muscle complaint.

does that mean he had one too many pies? He'd be no good on the terraces of Upton Park would he?!
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down