The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mayweather, Khan, Pacquiao

+9
Fists of Fury
lightsout
OasisBFC
Young_Towzer
dynamo
TRUSSMAN66
88Chris05
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Pedro147
13 posters

Go down

Mayweather, Khan, Pacquiao Empty Mayweather, Khan, Pacquiao

Post by Pedro147 Wed 06 Jul 2011, 8:34 am

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,12183_7022302,00.html

Interesting statments from GBP that they've held talks with PBF's advisors about a potential bout next year with Khan. Also Khan V Brook would be quite interesting if Brook can up the quality of his opposition and put himself in the frame for a potential fight against Khan. Although saying Khan wants to fight Morales after Judah is a step in the wrong direction and again leading to Khan getting some flack.

Mayweather also say he wants to fight more often and in the UK again. Says he wants the fight with Manny as long as blood testing issue is sorted.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Mayweather, Khan, Pacquiao Empty Re: Mayweather, Khan, Pacquiao

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Wed 06 Jul 2011, 9:02 am

Morales - another past it, blown up super feather to add to khans record. The only competetive thing between Erik and Khan is who's gonna dine out on their performance against maidana the longest.

Khan makes too many basic fundamental errors, mayweather would have him for breakfast. The only fight mayweather should be talking about is pacquiao. Ortiz, as a powerful southpaw, is a good comeback/tune up, but beyond that nobody wants to see him in with anyone else but manny.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 06 Jul 2011, 9:48 am

In fairness, Ortiz (as far as I'm concerned) has done less than Khan at the top level and certainly isn't a league above him, so if a Mayweather-Ortiz fight is deemed reasonable, then so too would a Mayweather-Khan fight. That said, I have little doubt in my mind that Mayweather would win handsomely if the fight were to happen right now.

To be honest, I think the fact that Khan has a link with both Pacquiao and Roach is the only reason this bout is being touted; Mayweather will say anything to keep Roach and his team off guard, and the same goes for the reverse. Ortiz in September, Pacquiao in the spring of 2012 and, if he wins them both, he's earned the right to wind down on a few good but not great names. If Khan can keep himself as a world champion until then, who knows?
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 06 Jul 2011, 9:53 am

I think Khan is all wrong for Mayweather style wise.....The kid is a poor man's Tommy hearns and his jab would cause Floyd and anyone else problems...Good power too!!...

If he got a shot at Floyd he'd deserve it...

Now the bad side.......The kid gets caught too easily and tends to leave himself open when the action hots up...

However for me it's a Khan type fighter that beats Floyd....not a pressure fighter...a la Starling Floyd likes the other guy to make the first move.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamo Wed 06 Jul 2011, 10:01 am

Khan wouldn' be able to get near Mayweather and it would be an embarrassing spectacle for the Bolton lad. I used to think that Mayweather was human and from this planet - but when I saw him not only beat and outfight (Juan Manual Marquez - who I rate so so highly) but also outclass him, I now believe Mayweather is from another galaxy all together.

On a serious note, Khan's greatest asset against Mayweather would be the jab and combinations he has to offer with his speed - inside then out...then back in, jab, combo, out..... The problem he has here is that Mayweather really is the erudite of Boxing with his knowledge of time and space - Khan will go in and punch thin air - Mayweather will time it often enough to catch him on the counter. Really, Khan is completely out of his depth here.

dynamo

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Wed 06 Jul 2011, 10:07 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I think Khan is all wrong for Mayweather style wise.....The kid is a poor man's Tommy hearns and his jab would cause Floyd and anyone else problems...Good power too!!...

If he got a shot at Floyd he'd deserve it...

Now the bad side.......The kid gets caught too easily and tends to leave himself open when the action hots up...

However for me it's a Khan type fighter that beats Floyd....not a pressure fighter...a la Starling Floyd likes the other guy to make the first move.

Mayweather's nothing like Moochie, Starling used to brawl ie Honeyghan, Mayweather is much more defensive. And Breland when he destroyed him late on. Ortiz has a better chance, he has more pop than Khan in his punches, is a southpaw and is a lot stronger imo. Morales after Judah people are saying, if so that's just another laughable Freddie Roach match up.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Wed 06 Jul 2011, 10:14 am

dynamo wrote:Khan wouldn' be able to get near Mayweather and it would be an embarrassing spectacle for the Bolton lad. I used to think that Mayweather was human and from this planet - but when I saw him not only beat and outfight (Juan Manual Marquez - who I rate so so highly) but also outclass him, I now believe Mayweather is from another galaxy all together.

On a serious note, Khan's greatest asset against Mayweather would be the jab and combinations he has to offer with his speed - inside then out...then back in, jab, combo, out..... The problem he has here is that Mayweather really is the erudite of Boxing with his knowledge of time and space - Khan will go in and punch thin air - Mayweather will time it often enough to catch him on the counter. Really, Khan is completely out of his depth here.

Marquez was a fat lightweight and never, ever a welterweight, Khan is a lot faster than Marquez, and Mayweather, has a beautiful jab, throws plenty of combinations, he'd put up a much, much better fight than Marquez, he would have a decent chance, he'd also outwork Mayweather comfortably, which would be a factor imo, because i just don't see Mayweather stopping him. But Ortiz has the better chance of the two imo.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Wed 06 Jul 2011, 10:17 am

not interested in morales, but think after judah (bradley not on the radar anymore??) - a move up to welter to fight brook could be a nice step up to settle him in. hopefully by then brook will have had another fight to increase his exposure and experience further.

lets hope this mayweather khan fight never happens for one reason - manny.

id love khan to become IBF champ as well and fight Bradley before moving up. if mayweather beats ortiz and manny, and khan beats judah & brook, amir will be in a good position to fight mayweather. lets face it, the division is thinning out.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by lightsout Wed 06 Jul 2011, 10:36 am

imo the Manny fight won't happen and nobody else even gets close, Khan spent two whole rounds of the Maidana fight soaking up heavy hits with very little coming back and imo the fight should have been stopped, a fight with PBF would be another event where we can all wonder at PBF's skill but wouldn't be competitive ....Khan missing all night long and Mayweather catching him with easy counters.

lightsout

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 06 Jul 2011, 10:49 am

While it's not really key to this article, I'd agree that Khan surviving the round and, crucially, going on to win the fight more than justifies Cortez's decision to let the fight continue.

A rare display of competency from Joe 'firm but farce' Cortez. Ooops, sorry, I meant firm but fair, of course.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 06 Jul 2011, 10:50 am

lightsout wrote:imo the Manny fight won't happen and nobody else even gets close, Khan spent two whole rounds of the Maidana fight soaking up heavy hits with very little coming back and imo the fight should have been stopped, a fight with PBF would be another event where we can all wonder at PBF's skill but wouldn't be competitive ....Khan missing all night long and Mayweather catching him with easy counters.

Clearly the fight shouldn't have been stopped...if Khan was in no position to continue then how did he go on and win the next round and then win the fight?

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TomMilagrésDean Wed 06 Jul 2011, 10:54 am

I honestly believe Amir Khan is britains most unnder-rated boxer, and cannot see why people do not like him? admittedly he is cocky, but then so is David Haye, yet he WAS loved by the nation. Anyway that aside my belief is if Amir Khan can stay unbeaten he will get a shot at Mayweather.

I reckon Mayweather beats of Ortiz comfortably enough and him and Manny get in the ring together under pressure from fans, I believe Pacquiao will win this, as he not only surprises so many fighters with his speed, but the power of the punches.

Then I think Mayweather will look to revive his career by trying to beat a on the up Amir Khan(providing he is still unbeaten) And i think a strong Amir Khan at the peak of his career against a demoralised and on the downward slope Mayweather is not as straightforward as a lot of people predict the fight will end up, dont bet against Amir is my advice!

TomMilagrésDean

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 06 Jul 2011, 11:06 am

TomMilagrésDean wrote:I honestly believe Amir Khan is britains most unnder-rated boxer, and cannot see why people do not like him? admittedly he is cocky, but then so is David Haye, yet he WAS loved by the nation. Anyway that aside my belief is if Amir Khan can stay unbeaten he will get a shot at Mayweather.

I reckon Mayweather beats of Ortiz comfortably enough and him and Manny get in the ring together under pressure from fans, I believe Pacquiao will win this, as he not only surprises so many fighters with his speed, but the power of the punches.

Then I think Mayweather will look to revive his career by trying to beat a on the up Amir Khan(providing he is still unbeaten) And i think a strong Amir Khan at the peak of his career against a demoralised and on the downward slope Mayweather is not as straightforward as a lot of people predict the fight will end up, dont bet against Amir is my advice!

Yep, fighting once great fighters on their way down does seem to be the recipe for Khan (he's said as much), so you may be on to something. Two other things, though; I'd dispute Haye ever being loved by the public. I've heard no end of people in the last few months saying how they were looking forward to Klitschko exposing him and, after the Harrison farce and a few ill-advised quotes, I'd say his popularity had taken a distinct downturn in the year leading up to saturday's fight. Next, if Mayweather were to lose to Pacquiao, there's absolutely no way on God's green earth we'd ever see him in the boxing ring again, unless it was for a Pacquiao rematch.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TomMilagrésDean Wed 06 Jul 2011, 11:10 am

Yes good call, agree with both points, Haye has done himself no favours with his attitude towards Vladimir, but i think after Valuev he was certainly held in high regard?
And yes i do think mayweather wont return after pacquiao unless for a rematch, but thisis the only way i can see Khan beaing him tbh, because i would not want to fight Floyd after he has just become the undisputed p4p champion!

TomMilagrésDean

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 06 Jul 2011, 11:12 am

Starling used to brawl??????

Khan is taller than Mayweather..has a better jab.....It would be Mayweather to get to Khan....

Khan wins on the outside..

Please....come on..

don't tell me about Starling I watched his whole career....jerk.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 06 Jul 2011, 11:20 am

judah, morales, kell brook then mayweather does sound very impressive (barring morales, but he is still a threat and decent enough for a defence), but wheres the unifaction fight with bradley? thats what people wanna see and he will draw a lot of critisim for what im guessing people will call "dodging" the true unifaction fight. i doubt the mayweather fight will come to fruit, even so it will take khan about 18 months to get through all his opponents and mayweather may well be on the slide by then. does khan not have a mandtory challenger who he must face?

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 06 Jul 2011, 11:22 am

Doesn't need Bradley with the other guys on his cv....does he!!

If he beats Floyd only a wally will care about Bradley..

Brook beats Bradley for me..completely run of the mill average fighter is Tim,...

Journeyman back in the 80's..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 06 Jul 2011, 11:31 am

he does hold 2 belts though and is the key to unifying the division. the negotiations only broke down because bradley makes more by fighting a easier fight until his hbo deal is over.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 06 Jul 2011, 12:25 pm

jmm is a great fighter but ulimtely a poor man's floyd, its why the fight was so one sided... more so than the size issue imo. It's also why i think floyd beats manny. Agree with Truss on the guy who beats pbf. The only guy who pbf really struggled to get to grips with was oscar fighting behind that jab... until oscar gassed and stopped throwing it. Stylistically, i see that type of fighter as having the best chance against floyd, and physically Khan fits the bill.

He still wouldn't beat him though, because he doesn;t have the defence or the intelligence...

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 06 Jul 2011, 1:03 pm

to be honest i never pay that much attension to khans "next opponent" claims. before the mccloskey fight he was saying he wanted a fight with pac man.

he says that he will fight morales, but i've read that he will be fighting crolla first, and given the fact morales already turned at million plus offer from khan down i dont see that fight happening.

as for the judah fight that was arranged anyway, so nothing new there.

the mayweather fight for me isn't going to happen, i don't think mayweather would agree to a fight that far in advance, especially now he's making noise about pac man again.

so bascially kell brook is the only viable opponent and he seems to have replaced bradley as there was no mention of him.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Wed 06 Jul 2011, 2:35 pm

alma wrote:
TomMilagrésDean wrote:I honestly believe Amir Khan is britains most unnder-rated boxer, and cannot see why people do not like him? admittedly he is cocky, but then so is David Haye, yet he WAS loved by the nation. Anyway that aside my belief is if Amir Khan can stay unbeaten he will get a shot at Mayweather.

Not wishing to sound facetious, but are you Amir Khan in disguise? When you mention 'unbeaten' aren't you forgetting your 54 second capitulation at the hands of Breidis 'two jabs' Prescott?

And I'm not sure PBF will ever be 'demoralised' (not sure it's in his nature.......)

he means exactly what he said - "if he can remain unbeaten" - i.e. not defeated between now and then.
doesn't mention anything about him being undefeated in his career, he meant between now and then

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed 06 Jul 2011, 2:44 pm

Was interesting to see Bradley's name left out the picture, maybe they're trying to get him to bite. Don't think Morales is a step in the right direction, Maidana is crude so was possible for him to be outboxed by such an experienced fighter, i don't think he has the same success against the boxers, hope i'm wrong though.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down