The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welsh World Cup Squad - Halfbacks... Again WRU selectors take note...!

4 posters

Go down

Welsh World Cup Squad - Halfbacks... Again WRU selectors take note...! Empty Welsh World Cup Squad - Halfbacks... Again WRU selectors take note...!

Post by maestegmafia Wed 06 Jul 2011, 8:56 pm

The votes are cast and the choices are

Dwayne Peel
Tavis Knoyle
Mike Phillips
Stephen Jones
James Hook
Rhys Priestland

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Welsh World Cup Squad - Halfbacks... Again WRU selectors take note...! Empty Re: Welsh World Cup Squad - Halfbacks... Again WRU selectors take note...!

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 06 Jul 2011, 8:59 pm

mm,

Think thats pretty much how it will be though it will be interesting to see who he actaully names as his No10s.

Will he name Jones and Hook then name Priestland as a XV or

Jones and Priestland and name Hook as a centre
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Welsh World Cup Squad - Halfbacks... Again WRU selectors take note...! Empty Re: Welsh World Cup Squad - Halfbacks... Again WRU selectors take note...!

Post by maestegmafia Wed 06 Jul 2011, 9:18 pm

well i think that will be an interesting concept... Hook is also considered a utility back as well...!

At least we have a lot of players who can fulfil a lot of roles.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 06 Jul 2011, 9:20 pm

mm,

I hope he doesn't consider taking Hook as a XV, 10 or centre yeah but not a XV
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 07 Jul 2011, 4:04 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:mm,

I hope he doesn't consider taking Hook as a XV, 10 or centre yeah but not a XV

I agree but it is good to have hook as an option at fifteen should the bench not be able to cover it in a vicious PI match. we have two of those and a big one vs SA.

Its great that he has the experience there, just incase.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 07 Jul 2011, 5:56 pm

Knoyle for his vision and passing skill with Hook at Outside half.
Knoyle is quite a big lump at 6'2" but he doesn't let that become the focus of his game like Phillips does.

Stephen Jones can come off the bench with Dwayne Peel to close out a tight game. Plenty of experience there and Peel is a great impact player.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 07 Jul 2011, 5:57 pm

Wouldn't argue with that logic Alyn but I feel we will see Phillips and Jones start against the Boks
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 07 Jul 2011, 5:59 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Wouldn't argue with that logic Alyn but I feel we will see Phillips and Jones start against the Boks

2 crash ball centers playing at Half Backs then! censored
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 07 Jul 2011, 6:00 pm

AlynDavies wrote:Knoyle for his vision and passing skill with Hook at Outside half.
Knoyle is quite a big lump at 6'2" but he doesn't let that become the focus of his game like Phillips does.

Stephen Jones can come off the bench with Dwayne Peel to close out a tight game. Plenty of experience there and Peel is a great impact player.
I like that and I think it might work well.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 07 Jul 2011, 6:02 pm

That wouldn't be my choice just think thats what will happen
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 07 Jul 2011, 6:07 pm

The more I look at Stephen Jones recently the more he seems to enjoy taking the ball up in the tackle. It's fantastic if one of their players falls off the tackle because Wales normally score a try, but I think with Phillips, Jones, Davies, Roberts and North we have 5 of the 7 backs who look for contact not space to run into.
I'd like to see more of a balance between speed Guile and Power.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 07 Jul 2011, 6:09 pm

Alyn,

Maybe he has felt he has had to do that because our back row haven't been doing it.

If we go with Lydiate Delve/Faletau and Warburton then I don't think he would need to do it or not all the time at least.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 07 Jul 2011, 6:11 pm

AlynDavies wrote:The more I look at Stephen Jones recently the more he seems to enjoy taking the ball up in the tackle. It's fantastic if one of their players falls off the tackle because Wales normally score a try, but I think with Phillips, Jones, Davies, Roberts and North we have 5 of the 7 backs who look for contact not space to run into.
I'd like to see more of a balance between speed Guile and Power.
Ditto...!

Hense the thought of Henson re-surging its weird little head...! Boy would i love for him to do some serious instead of speculative "talking on the pitch"...!

Though more likely as an inside center and occasional first receiver.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Thu 07 Jul 2011, 6:18 pm

Hook is a great runner with the ball but he does not have the concentration span or defensive organisation for a 10. Remember the French game where he was responsible for Wales conceeding 3 trys!

Jones must play at 10 for the world cup with Hook on the bench or at 13 where his weaknesses will not be so exposed.

If and its a big If, Hook secures the 10 jersey in France next season he may be in a position to compete for the Wales 10 shirt in the 6 nations.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 07 Jul 2011, 6:21 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Ditto...!

Hense the thought of Henson re-surging its weird little head...! Boy would i love for him to do some serious instead of speculative "talking on the pitch"...!

Though more likely as an inside center and occasional first receiver.

Actually now King has left the Scarlets I'm VERY, VERY interested to see Jonathan Davies (JD) and Scott Williams form a pairing for the Scarlets, because Williams looked brilliant when he came on against the Barbarians he skinned the Barbarians centers and he's not a little bloke either. JD seems to have power and a bit of speed, but Williams seems to have genuine speed and the ability to hit the gap so it could be a great partnership.
Since I've seen more of Williams I'm less worried about Henson. If we pick Hook at 10 we won't need Henson's passing game either. Knoyle can keep a back row honest as he will use his size to keep them tied in, in the same way Phillips does so we have the makings of a good back line on paper.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down