The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just started playing golf again, how does handicap work?

+2
Davie
Raymond
6 posters

Go down

Just started playing golf again, how does handicap work? Empty Just started playing golf again, how does handicap work?

Post by Raymond Fri 08 Jul 2011, 8:33 pm

On my first marked round since I was 14 (now 21) I hit a 91 on a par 69 so I would reckon if I had an other two rounds of 91 my handicap would be 22, however heard that this isn't the case I heard that it how many scoring holes you have in a round (not sure what this means), can someone explain how your handicap is measured please.

Raymond

Back to top Go down

Just started playing golf again, how does handicap work? Empty Re: Just started playing golf again, how does handicap work?

Post by Davie Fri 08 Jul 2011, 8:37 pm

First of all they will usually take your best card, not the average of your 3 cards.

Then they compare against whatever the SSS (standard scratch score) for the tees you used. SSS may be 69 against the par of 69 so on your instance that would make you +23 not +22

Finally, they reduce any bad holes to (I think) net triple bogey. So if you had any 8s or 9s on your card (on par4s) those would be reduced to 7s for calculation purposes.

Davie

Back to top Go down

Just started playing golf again, how does handicap work? Empty Re: Just started playing golf again, how does handicap work?

Post by Raymond Fri 08 Jul 2011, 8:46 pm

how is it +23? on score card both sss and par are 69, so 69+22=91. How has this extra shot been added on?

Raymond

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 08 Jul 2011, 8:50 pm

Sorry - that was a typo on my part. I was trying to say that the SSS *may* be 68

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossa Fri 08 Jul 2011, 8:58 pm

http://www.congu.com/obtaining.htm

This is a good outline, you do 3 cards, the maximum you can get on a given hole is +2, then its basically at the discretion of the HC committee.
Rossa
Rossa

Back to top Go down

Post by Raymond Sat 09 Jul 2011, 12:50 am

kind of get it, cheers.

Raymond

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Sat 09 Jul 2011, 9:17 am

The Course Standard Scratch (CSS) is an index of the degree of difficulty of your course. In your case, the CSS is 69. So your handicap is calculated on the basis of your score minus the CSS. So your score was 91, therefore your handicap would be around 22.

However the committee will also take account of holes where you ran up a big number, because this will skew the handicap. So (by way of example) if you had 17 fives and one six, then your handicap will likely be 22. However if you had 10 fours and six fives and one ten and one eleven, then your handicap will be a good deal lower than 22 because (for handicap purposes only) the scores on the two holes where you accumulated ten and eleven will be changed to either 6 or 7, depending on the par and stroke index of the hole. So your corrected score will be about 83, and therefore your handicap will be 14.

The reason for this is that you have shown that you can generally play to a better standard than 22, and your handicap should reflect how well you play on a good day.

Other factors are also taken into account - so for example if you are returning to golf after an absence, and you used to play off a low handicap, then they'll likely give you a lower handicap than your score would indicate. Likewise after an injury.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat 09 Jul 2011, 9:26 am

George - CSS is Competition Standard Scratch and is calculated on a per-competition basis only.

What you are refering to (as I said earlier) is SSS (Standard Scratch Score) which is the "measure of course difficulty" in general. CSS is an on-the-day measure - SSS is overall

The SSS is what is shown of the course score card. CSS is published after a particular competition for that competition only

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Sat 09 Jul 2011, 12:33 pm

Sorry, yes, you are right.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by Raymond Fri 22 Jul 2011, 12:02 am

Cheers guy got my Handicap, it's 24. And had my first eagle putt today missed but got my first birdy on a par 5 Very Happy

Raymond

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Fri 22 Jul 2011, 9:41 am

Raymond wrote:Cheers guy got my Handicap, it's 24. And had my first eagle putt today missed but got my first birdy on a par 5 Very Happy
In that case, I suspect you won't be on 24 for long Smile

And I think it's generally written "birdie"
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Fri 22 Jul 2011, 9:54 am

Just started playing, 24 handicap, eagle putts and birdies!?! This sounds a different game to the one i'm playing!!
Good work Raymond thumbsup
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Raymond Fri 22 Jul 2011, 12:38 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote:Just started playing, 24 handicap, eagle putts and birdies!?! This sounds a different game to the one i'm playing!!
Good work Raymond thumbsup

I'll not mention the rest of the round then ha.

Raymond

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down