The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rugby Football Union chairman Martyn Thomas stands down

+13
doctor_grey
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
beshocked
aitchw
Effervescing Elephant
aucklandlaurie
bathmad
TrailApe
red_stag
Portnoy
Adam D
snoopster
Shifty
17 posters

Go down

Rugby Football Union chairman Martyn Thomas stands down Empty Rugby Football Union chairman Martyn Thomas stands down

Post by Shifty Sun 10 Jul 2011, 2:25 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/14098988.stm

Martyn Thomas has stood down as chairman of the Rugby Football Union (RFU).

The announcement came as the RFU's disciplinary officer published a report into the ousting of former chief executive John Steele in June.

It is understood Judge Jeff Blackett's conclusion called for Thomas's resignation along with nine non-executives on the management board.

He will remain acting chief executive until a permanent appointment is made.

Blackett's wide-ranging investigation reviewed the RFU's hiring procedures.

It focused on the process of Steele's appointment in September 2010, as well as the circumstances leading to his departure nine months later.

The RFU Council discussed the 52-page report's findings in a four-hour meeting on Sunday.

During the meeting, a vote of no confidence in the management board was reported to have been defeated by a majority verdict.

Paul Murphy will serve as interim RFU chairman pending a special general meeting, when Thomas's permanent replacement will be decided.

Thomas will continue as chairman of Rugby World Cup 2015 - which is being staged in England and Wales - and will stay as an RFU representative on the International Rugby Board.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Rugby Football Union chairman Martyn Thomas stands down Empty Re: Rugby Football Union chairman Martyn Thomas stands down

Post by snoopster Sun 10 Jul 2011, 2:40 pm

Probably not a surprise after news leaked out that Blackett's report wasn't going to be kind to him - jumping before he is pushed.

Hopefully it will lead a general clear out of the upper echelons of the RFU - some short term pain but long term will leave the RFU headed by some people who will look to run it well, not just build their own power bases.

snoopster

Back to top Go down

Rugby Football Union chairman Martyn Thomas stands down Empty Re: Rugby Football Union chairman Martyn Thomas stands down

Post by Adam D Sun 10 Jul 2011, 2:52 pm

If you were going to keep the best member of the higher echelons and build the new RFU around him, who would you keep?

Who is the man to push the RFU forward?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sun 10 Jul 2011, 3:29 pm

Update to the story:

Reports that Paul Murphy has been appointed acting Chairman of RFU.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Rugby Football Union chairman Martyn Thomas stands down Empty RFU: The year of the long knives Part XXVI

Post by Portnoy Sun 10 Jul 2011, 4:41 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/

The bloody saga of intrigue and dissent in the genteel village of Midsomer Twickers continues in the leafy London suburb.

How many bodies will bobble out of the storm drains into the nearby brackish Thames?

... . -. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .. -. ... .--. . -.-. - --- .-. / -- --- .-. ... .

Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sun 10 Jul 2011, 5:24 pm

I often see the names of former international players tossed about in discussions like this. It will be some blazer who knows how to get the job done.

Look at IRFUs chief executive. He has held that position now for 14 years. He has no rugby background. He studied Science in university and was heavily involved in Rowing which he represented Ireland in.

I think he's done a great job since 1998 and the fact he wasn't a big rugby name didn't harm him.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TrailApe Mon 11 Jul 2011, 8:48 am

It will be some blazer who knows how to get the job done.

If that was the case great, but I've got a suspicion that this will just be 'some blazer who knows how to lunch well'.

TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Post by bathmad Mon 11 Jul 2011, 8:59 am

What an embarassing shambles. Hopefully this won't impact the squad in any way.

bathmad

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 11 Jul 2011, 9:33 am

I dont quite get what the reasons are (apart from the obvious) for them not releasing Judge Blacketts decision,or is that something they will do later???

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Mon 11 Jul 2011, 10:06 am

Portnoy wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/

The bloody saga of intrigue and dissent in the genteel village of Midsomer Twickers continues in the leafy London suburb.

How many bodies will bobble out of the storm drains into the nearby brackish Thames?

... . -. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .. -. ... .--. . -.-. - --- .-. / -- --- .-. ... .

It'll have to be Lewis, Morse is dead.
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Mon 11 Jul 2011, 1:59 pm

'It'll have to be Lewis, Morse is dead.'

No, that would be be Barnaby in Midsomer Twickers.

Seriously though, the whole top management at the RFU is a mystery. Most of the names mean absolutely nothing to me and it definitely has the feel of the lodge about it, or at the very least a very elitist closed club. It is a 'big business' operation in which it's whole reason for it's existence gets ignored.

aitchw

http://www.winmax-leisure.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Mon 11 Jul 2011, 2:05 pm

aitchw wrote:'It'll have to be Lewis, Morse is dead.'

No, that would be be Barnaby in Midsomer Twickers.

Seriously though, the whole top management at the RFU is a mystery. Most of the names mean absolutely nothing to me and it definitely has the feel of the lodge about it, or at the very least a very elitist closed club. It is a 'big business' operation in which it's whole reason for it's existence gets ignored.

The morse code says "Send for Inspector Morse". I agree that the reference to Midsomer would mean Barnaby would make more sense but i was responding to the coded part of the comment.

As the second part of your post i could not agree more. I have no idea who these people are!
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Mon 11 Jul 2011, 2:14 pm

I didn't even notice the morse code at the bottom of the post. 100 lines coming up 'I must pay more attention to the post before replying'.

aitchw

http://www.winmax-leisure.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Mon 11 Jul 2011, 2:20 pm

Rugby Football Union chairman Martyn Thomas stands down 732107
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 11 Jul 2011, 3:20 pm

This old fart has not left the building. He still keeps his main job. 🤦

Jeff Blackett to get the chop next please. mad

This is a complete non story - no one has been punished for the current incompetence of the RFU.

The gravy train continues.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 12 Jul 2011, 7:27 am

If Blackett is considering his position, there is clearlysomething badly wrong within the RFU: Farce, petit farce et grand farce

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 12 Jul 2011, 9:04 am

The whole lot need to be sacked.

I would prefer the RFU to be full of beautiful women who happen to be air heads than old farts who happen to be air heads.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by snoopster Tue 12 Jul 2011, 11:59 am

beshocked wrote:The whole lot need to be sacked.

I would prefer the RFU to be full of beautiful women who happen to be air heads than old farts who happen to be air heads.

I'd settle for old farts who happen to be air heads - currently there are too many people in the RFU playing power games in my opinion and they're doing it without the slightest care for the English game.

I realise you don't like Blackett but he always seems to me to be a decent man trying to do his job well... and the reports of how people like Thomas have acted really shows how vital he is in the RFU currently (having prepared the report carefully, he then took Thomas through it before going to take it to the comittee... and recieved an email from Thomas's solicitor threatening him with legal action if he did - he still went and handed in the report though)

snoopster

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 14 Jul 2011, 8:54 am

Brian Moore's take on the whole shambles: RFU debacle

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Thu 14 Jul 2011, 11:06 am

Love the league pedant in the comments. Reminds me of that brilliant wum, FamousImpressario, on the old 606. Turns out he was a huge Union fan and had just been on a massive wind up for years. Genius!

Back to the topic, Moore is right.
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 14 Jul 2011, 11:25 am

Thanks for sharing the article from Brian Moore.
A couple of quotes:

From Brian Moore's article, he wrote:the RFU does not have a chief executive officer, finance director, head of human resources or director of performance.

The members of about 1,900 clubs, 500 employees and nearly 40,000 volunteers justifiably expect the RFU to do its job properly.

In so doing Blackett has, incongruously, upset some people who now seek to undermine him. So, let’s get rid of one of the few people who is actually doing a good job – this is beyond parody.

Right on all accounts.

But now we need to see the report. It is important for the RFU not to operate as a closed door back room organisation. The RFU is not just about the England squad, it is about the clubs up and down the country. We need, and expect, competent management.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 18 Jul 2011, 9:12 am

More from the farce that just keeps on giving: Blackett report & Blackett review. And of course BM has a view: Mooro's view

Shambles - says it all really. How on earth can Martyn Thomas stay in his position? mad furious

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 18 Jul 2011, 10:49 am

Makes the SRU look awesome in comparison, and that's really saying something!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 18 Jul 2011, 11:53 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:Makes the SRU look awesome in comparison, and that's really saying something!

Lets not say things we can't take back! Wink
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by snoopster Mon 18 Jul 2011, 12:11 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Makes the SRU look awesome in comparison, and that's really saying something!

It is the advantage of having the biggest, richest union - there is far more to completely mess up.

snoopster

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 19 Jul 2011, 12:50 pm

This could get interesting - the Chairmen, Chief Executives and DoRs of the premiership teams are set to meet over the next two days at their annual pre-season conference: Prem get-together. Looks like the ailing RFU will come under further scrutiny. It does seem odd that the top echelon of the game is represented only by two individuals on the Council - watch this space

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Tue 19 Jul 2011, 1:26 pm

This could be the perfect time for the dog with the money to start wagging the tail with the blazers, could we expect a (soocer) Premier League style coup d'etat over the management of the RFU by the clubs?

They hold all the aces as they own the players and therefore effectively the competitions - no central player contracts for England - would the old farts be prepared to have another tranche of professional clubs spilt off ?

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Tue 19 Jul 2011, 1:32 pm

And the PRL has stuck a spanner in the works.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/news/8646182/Premiership-clubs-to-demand-more-power-within-RFU-in-response-to-Jeff-Blackett-review-of-John-Steele-dismissal.html

I find this more interesting than the NewsCorp investigaton.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 19 Jul 2011, 1:47 pm

Port,

The News Corp investigation is shaking the pillars of hell (and governments).
Rugby is the game played in heaven.
Therefore, the RFU debacle is shaking the pillars of heaven.

That said, the clubs should have more representation on the RFU board. But we have to remember the clubs usually represent thier own best interest. So more represntation is probably fair and appropriate, but is a double-edged sword.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Tue 19 Jul 2011, 2:07 pm

No doubt Dr,

But it makes seismic changes which may bring my article https://www.606v2.com/t9415-does-the-instability-at-the-rfu-put-rwc-2015-in-jeopardy into focus.

I posted it hours before I was aware of any Francis Baron declaration.

:smug:
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 19 Jul 2011, 2:18 pm

Certainly does make your article more topical than ever. Without question, this spotlights to an even greater degree how the RFU has (or, perhaps has not) been run. On the other hand, I wouldn't minimise the entrenched financial interest in having the RWC in England. If nothing else, that should provide a powerful counterweight to the the chaos at HQ. Or at least, I hope so.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 19 Jul 2011, 2:22 pm

I does make you wonder who the hell makes up this 61 man panel. Two representatives from the professional clubs (Wheeler and Irvine), Chairman, Chief Exec, Chief Financial Officer, couple of Non Execs, Media chappy and then another 53 people. Who are these 53 people? Presumabley linked to grass roots, sponsors and government but 53 of them!

Sounds like a re-shuffle of epic preportions is needed, too many people involved in that mess for my liking. How is anything ever agreed on with 61 people in the room. Must make the house of commons seem like a picnic.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Tue 19 Jul 2011, 2:40 pm

When Carling blew a fuse (and was immediately dropped from the captaincy (before the groundswell of opinion immediately reversed their decision)), there were 57 old farts.

Seems to me that the RFU board should consist of no more than 20.

With a 50:50 representation from the amateur/semi-pro game and the elite level.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 19 Jul 2011, 2:49 pm

Does anyone know how the representation on the board is apportioned? 60 blokes seems fairly large, but would want to see whom they represent. There are a lot of stakeholders in the RFU including the grass roots clubs, the larger clubs, the semi-pros, the Premiership clubs and the England national structure. All need a voice. But also needed is sound management taking all into account.

The next question is who will recruit sutable candidates, and then interview and decide on the hires?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 19 Jul 2011, 3:18 pm

Hmm, not sure. Do all the English counties qualify for a representative, plus of course Cambs & Oxford unis (a throw-back to days clearly long past, if ever there was one!)

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 19 Jul 2011, 3:21 pm

I would imagine that they are elected from their own committees to serve on the RFU panel Dr Grey. For example the PRL obviously decided that they wanted Peter Wheeler as their representative. So the grass roots association (I presume it would have one) would ask for nominations and then elect from there etc.

Still if the committee is made up of 20 odd corporate chappies from relevant sponsors then we probabley aren't going to see a lot of change as one would imagine they like how things are run.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 19 Jul 2011, 3:28 pm

I like the idea of an independent Council that represents all constituents of the game to oversee a professional Executive (a Board with non-Exec Council representation). For the Council, the following would cover it:
1. Premiership
2. National leagues
3. Regional clubs
4. Lower league clubs
5. Youth
6. Mini
7. Ladies/Girls
8. Tag/Touch
with maybe a handful for the first grouping, half their number for the second, again half for the 3rd, and one rep for each of the remaining 5

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down