The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

606V2 Rugby Section Organisation - Feedback please

+28
flyhalffactory
Totallybiasedscarlet
Effervescing Elephant
RuggerRadge2611
red_stag
ScarletSpiderman
caoimhincentre
MunsterMac
rodders
thebandwagonsociety
RubyGuby
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
doctor_grey
G2
BATH_BTGOG
Biltong
robbo277
greybeard
Irish Curry
Thomond
Notch
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Adam D
polotechnics
Luckless Pedestrian
Cari
yappysnap
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
32 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

606V2 Rugby Section Organisation - Feedback please Empty 606V2 Rugby Section Organisation - Feedback please

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 12 Jul 2011, 9:55 am

Hi all,

The rugby section's grown a bit over the last month or 2, so we're starting to give some thought to how we organise the layout of the board here. Hence I thought I'd ask you posters what you think, and once we get some options suggested up I'll run a poll.

At the moment we have the one big section for almost all things rugby, with just the sub-section for kit pics, which was what users requested the last time we discussed this.

Prior to that we had sub-sections for club and international rugby. It's still the off-season in the NH, though there are the Tri-Nations, RWC warmups and the biggie coming up, the RWC itself.

As things are likely to get busier, can you please have a think about how you'd like to see the place organised and post your opinions here. Personally I don't want to go down the track of having individual country and club sub-sections as yet (partly because I'm the poor sap who'd have to move articles posted in the wrong section Whistle ).

Some potential organisations include:
Bringing back the International/Club sub-sections
Adding an RWC sub-section for the duration of the tournament
Adding a section for our Q & As
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

606V2 Rugby Section Organisation - Feedback please Empty Re: 606V2 Rugby Section Organisation - Feedback please

Post by yappysnap Tue 12 Jul 2011, 10:08 am

Adding a filter for clubs rather then sub sections perhaps. So when you write an article you can put in a box the name of the club/region/country/tournament it's covering and then other posters can filter to find threads just about that?

Would perhaps be a better option then regimented club/country sections etc but still allow say Quins fans to find their two buried Quins topics among all of the other threads.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

606V2 Rugby Section Organisation - Feedback please Empty Re: 606V2 Rugby Section Organisation - Feedback please

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 12 Jul 2011, 10:12 am

yappysnap wrote:Adding a filter for clubs rather then sub sections perhaps. So when you write an article you can put in a box the name of the club/region/country/tournament it's covering and then other posters can filter to find threads just about that?

Would perhaps be a better option then regimented club/country sections etc but still allow say Quins fans to find their two buried Quins topics among all of the other threads.

We are slightly limited by the forum software, I'm not sure if that's possible but I'll ask one of the technical guys - on the plus side we've managed to not park any Magners League articles in the RL section over here.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 12 Jul 2011, 10:14 am

Update, if you use the "search" box beside the "New Topic" button you can find all threads with (for example) "Harlequins" in the title. So as long as people label their titles properly that'll work.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 12 Jul 2011, 10:30 am

If you do bring back sub-sections I think you should keep it simple. For example, the world cup threads could come under the International section anyway, so there's no need to have a section within a section for it and you can just list all international threads under that title rather than each country. This should avoid people putting the wrong threads in it.

With regards to non-international stuff, I don't think there really needs to be a sub section for every single competition and/or club because club names can be searched for (as advised above). Sometimes having the threads listed without sub-sections means that more people get to see them and may comment on something they wouldn't normaly bother with because they wouldn't normally look in that sub-section.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 12 Jul 2011, 10:31 am

Kiwireddevil wrote:Update, if you use the "search" box beside the "New Topic" button you can find all threads with (for example) "Harlequins" in the title. So as long as people label their titles properly that'll work.

Kiwi, as that's the case, I'd say that all we need are subsections for each domestic league and any international tournaments as they come up.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by polotechnics Tue 12 Jul 2011, 10:31 am

A country filter would be pretty good. Or just a northern hemisphere/southern hemisphere filter?

polotechnics

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 12 Jul 2011, 10:36 am

polotechnics wrote:A country filter would be pretty good. Or just a northern hemisphere/southern hemisphere filter?

The problem is with that, which countries do you list and which ones don't you bother with? Also, with NH/SH sub sections, some of the less knowledgable posters (like me!) might be confused as to where they should post a thread. For example if I wanted to write an article about Wales and Argentina, where would be the best place to put it?

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 12 Jul 2011, 10:38 am

Judging by the responses so far, it would appear that two new subsections of "Club discussions" and "International Discussions" as we had before are whats needed.

The kit section can be archived closer to the season.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 12 Jul 2011, 10:40 am

I think you are doing a great job guys well done. thumbsup

What about a section where all the articles on new signings could go so that they are all in one spot?

pete (buachaill on eirne)

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 12 Jul 2011, 10:42 am

I think we should have a section where the hoi polloi can post there love for RugbyDreamer, Kiwi and myself.

A shrine if you will.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 12 Jul 2011, 10:43 am

Hobo - You could then have a miscellaneous section for odd bits that are rugby related but not not specifically about a team or competition (such as the referee questions one). What you don't want is to confuse things with having lots of sections within sections. Keep it simple, that should avoid mistakes, and some sections being clogged up and others staying empty.

On the moderators thread, can we abuse you as well? Wink

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Jul 2011, 10:44 am

Kiwireddevil wrote:on the plus side we've managed to not park any Magners League articles in the RL section over here.

Could you put a few in there, just for old time's sake. They love it! Whistle

I think it's pretty much ok as it is. I don't think it needs to be split up too much but I'm happy to go with the flow.

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 12 Jul 2011, 10:45 am

You will need a RWC section when that comes up. Rugby section os growing nicely, but no need to partition it just yet.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 12 Jul 2011, 10:53 am

Cari wrote:Sometimes having the threads listed without sub-sections means that more people get to see them and may comment on something they wouldn't normaly bother with because they wouldn't normally look in that sub-section.

This is the best thing about the way things are set up at the moment. On the old 606 as here, any new articles would appear on the main page, which was where I'd look for articles most of the time. I'd hate to miss a good article just because it was tucked away in a narrow subsection.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 12 Jul 2011, 10:56 am

Lucky - exactly, and some really good articles could get ignored because they're in the wrong place or in a section that isn't frequently used.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 12 Jul 2011, 11:04 am

We are only talking about two subsections though - club and international like we used to have.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue 12 Jul 2011, 11:07 am

I would be in favour of keeping everything the way it is in the off season. A section for the RWC. but after that I don't think one is needed.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 12 Jul 2011, 11:09 am

Hobo, I don't see the need to have that split. We'll be able to search for articles about our club or country - or any club or country - if we want to, so why not have all new articles appearing in the same place?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 12 Jul 2011, 11:29 am

Could everything be in defferent colours? Eeeeverything

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Tue 12 Jul 2011, 11:35 am

I don't think we need much of a change but just club/league section, international and a RWC section as that will be the most talked about subject in the coming months as the rugby section is growing fast
As for missing good articles might it be possible to have new articles in another sub-section for 24hours or so?

Last edited by Irish Curry on Tue 12 Jul 2011, 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Tue 12 Jul 2011, 11:51 am

Hobo wrote:I think we should have a section where the hoi polloi can post there love for RugbyDreamer, Kiwi and myself.

A shrine if you will.

Put it in the section marked "De Basement"

(see what I did there? Very Happy )

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Tue 12 Jul 2011, 11:53 am

I'd leave it as it is, I'm not a huge fan of sub-boards. It's all working well at the moment anyway and change for change's sake is irritating (FWD to Mark Zuckerberg).

When I first looked at v2 there were loads of sub-boards and it turned me off the site a bit (plus there weren't that many people on here, so discussions were limited by that). I like that I can just come onto the rugby board and get an overview of every discussion and then pick what ones I want to get involved with, rather than going through and searching loads of sub-boards. Until we get to a point where there are too many articles going up and some good articles are quickly getting buried to page 2 before anyone has had a chance to comment on it, I wouldn't change it.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 12 Jul 2011, 1:04 pm

If possible the best would be to categorise them by competitions.

International
Six Nations
Tri Nations
World Cup

But then you could perhaps just put them all under INTERNATIONAL

The Domestic and club competitions should be categorised.

Super Rugby.
HC rugby
Aviva
Currie cup

etc.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by BATH_BTGOG Tue 12 Jul 2011, 2:12 pm

Why not have a banter section for those members (former 606 wums) who want to have a bit of hows your father can without other members being offended and dragged into pointless debates with people who have strong views on theirs and other fans teams.

Then you guys can have an easier life and enjoy the real rugby articles.

I think seperate team sections would be a good idea as I have no interest in what Wales Ireland etc... are doing most of the time.
BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 12 Jul 2011, 2:29 pm

BATH_BTGOG, what do you think 'how's your father' means?!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by BATH_BTGOG Tue 12 Jul 2011, 2:35 pm

The majority of wums do love each other!!! kiss Hug

Let them get on with it, live and let live
BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue 12 Jul 2011, 2:39 pm

Bath,that just encourages wumming why would you want that?

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Tue 12 Jul 2011, 2:40 pm

BATH_BTGOG wrote:The majority of wums do love each other!!! kiss Hug

But what if they breed?

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by BATH_BTGOG Tue 12 Jul 2011, 2:45 pm

Because then the usual suspects won't turn up in the other articles, as most would stay in this less moderated area of 606v2, plus as I said it would make Kiwireddevils etc lives a little bit easier, he already sounds like his peed off with some of the guys on here.
BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue 12 Jul 2011, 2:48 pm

greybeard wrote:
BATH_BTGOG wrote:The majority of wums do love each other!!! kiss Hug

But what if they breed?

Then we just have a race of superwums who will go and take over the planet.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 12 Jul 2011, 3:09 pm

What fun is one WUM to another? Surely the point of them is to wind up non-WUMs and ruin perfectly good debates with their wummery? If they had their own little space where that was allowed, they wouldn't bother.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by G2 Tue 12 Jul 2011, 3:11 pm

If you are going to divvie it up try to keep it simple.

2 categories International and Domestic / Club Competitions

G2

Back to top Go down

Post by BATH_BTGOG Tue 12 Jul 2011, 3:19 pm

I'm not to sure Cari I think some would,

but it shouldn't be a wumming section, I was thinking more of a banter section where by the rules are relaxed slightly for those of use who aren't easily offended or at home and not in work, this would leave the proper sections clear for proper rugby debate and not the t it for tat attitude that ruined the old 606.

Last edited by BATH_BTGOG on Tue 12 Jul 2011, 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 12 Jul 2011, 3:26 pm

BATH_BTGOG wrote:

I was thinking more of a banter section where by the rules are relaxed slightly for those of use who aren't easily offended or at home and not in work.

Just send them elsewhere. There's loads of other forums that do this anyway.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by BATH_BTGOG Tue 12 Jul 2011, 3:31 pm

True, but it would make the moderators lives on here a little easier as once the RWC starts and the heat rises the wums will be out in force.

Does anyone else like the word wummery????? It makes it sound like a noble art.
BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 12 Jul 2011, 3:33 pm

Didn't Dick Van Doike sing about it? "wum wummery wum wummery wum wum wumeroooo...." music

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by BATH_BTGOG Tue 12 Jul 2011, 3:34 pm

Very good Cari, that will be in my head for the rest of the day
BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Tue 12 Jul 2011, 3:35 pm

[quote="BATH_BTGOG"]True, but it would make the moderators lives on here a little easier as once the RWC starts and the heat rises the wums will be out in force.

Does anyone else like the word wummery????? It makes it sound like a noble art.[/quote]

I expect in will be in a dictonary near you soon ghost
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 12 Jul 2011, 5:37 pm

I am comfortable deferring to the majority. As long as the majority are preferring a temporary RWC section for the duration of the tournament.

My guess is once we get close to the tournament, the RWC section would get most of the traffic and club/non-RWC stuff might get a little lost. After that, back to one board for a while.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Tue 12 Jul 2011, 9:22 pm

[quote="doctor_grey"]I am comfortable deferring to the majority. As long as the majority are preferring a temporary RWC section for the duration of the tournament.

My guess is once we get close to the tournament, the RWC section would get most of the traffic and club/non-RWC stuff might get a little lost. After that, back to one board for a while. [/quote]

+1
A sub-section for a major tournament e.g. 6nations or tri nations and then get rid of them a week or so after the event depending on the number of posts

Last edited by Irish Curry on Wed 13 Jul 2011, 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 13 Jul 2011, 7:36 am

If the software doesn't support filters (per old 606), I'd vote for leaving it as it is. Altho I wouldn't miss polls for every position for nation tho if they disappeared off to their own section!

Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 13 Jul 2011, 7:45 am

I think thats more a by product of it being off season with a world cup coming up.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 13 Jul 2011, 10:11 am

How about a free pint with every 100 posts - it's just a thought thumbsup guinness

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Wed 13 Jul 2011, 12:00 pm

You will need to set up dedicated sections for the kids with the following headings;

HENSON-CIPRIANI

BEST XV

SH versus NH

REFEREES

Then for grown-ups (or supposed grown-ups) a club section and an international section. For most of the year those 2 sections will do. If people wanted, you could decide that if you are creating a topic within either section you start with;
S15 -
NPC -
Currie -
Pro12 -
Aviva -
Top14 -
HC -

or for the internationals, start with;
AI -
6N -
3N -
RWC -

Then people can use the filter you are talking about but still spot all articles in each section.

The final piece is what to do with the very useful (and I'm being honest here, no sarcasm involved) topics that cover rules, potential rule changes, ask the ref type threads. I think they should stay on the main page.

But for this to work well, everyone needs to step in with consistent shortnames for club/international comps

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 13 Jul 2011, 1:24 pm

I think we just need 4 categories really:

1 Gavin Henson
2 Irish Backrow debates
3 The Portnoy section
4 Everything else
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 13 Jul 2011, 1:27 pm

roddersm wrote:I think we just need 4 categories really:

1 Gavin Henson
2 Irish Backrow debates
3 The Portnoy section
4 Everything else
laughing

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 13 Jul 2011, 1:29 pm

I'm tempted to add

La Brea Tar Pits for:
Henson
Player Eligibility
The Haka

Run
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by MunsterMac Wed 13 Jul 2011, 2:29 pm

How's about a spellchecker.

Would make my life alot easier given I'm definetly challenged in the old spelling dept.

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Wed 13 Jul 2011, 2:46 pm

lot of wums lately. esp from Portnoy. can we have a wum section where we can leave him

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next