The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Q&A with Carl 'The Jackal' Frampton.

+9
coxy0001
Adam D
aja424
Daz
HumanWindmill
Rowley
Scottrf
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Fists of Fury
13 posters

Go down

Q&A with Carl 'The Jackal' Frampton. Empty Q&A with Carl 'The Jackal' Frampton.

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 15 Jul 2011, 11:27 am

Northern Ireland's Super-Bantamweight boxer Carl 'The Jackal' Frampton has kindly agreed to take part in a Q&A session with 606v2.

Spoiler:

Carl was one of Ireland's most successful amateur boxers of recent years, and since turning professional in June 2009 has amassed a record of 10(6)-0-0, whilst being named Prospect of the Year at the Irish National Boxing Awards in January 2010, and winning the BBBofC Celtic Super-Bantamweight title, which he successfully defended in a recent 10 round unanimous decision win against Robbie Turley.

Under the mentorship of former WBA Featherweight champion of the world, 'The Clones Cyclone' Barry McGuigan, Carl has received plenty of publicity despite being a relative newcomer to the professional game, and high hopes are retained for his future success in the sport.

Many thanks to Carl for taking the time out to participate in this Q&A, and we wish him every success as he furthers his career.

General Boxing Questions

What are your ambitions for the next 12 months?

There are talks of a possible fight with Kiko Martinez (Super-Bantamweight EBU champion) for Belfast in September. Hopefully that comes off, I come out on top, get a few defences and that will be a pretty good 12 months for me.

What would you say is the toughest thing about being a professional boxer?

For me the toughest thing is being away from my child and fiancee at camps. The dieting is quite tough but missing the bambino is worse.

If Guillermo Rigondeaux offered to fight you next (a la Groves vs Degale minus the obvious needle), would you be willing to take it at such an early stage of your career?

Easy answer, no! Not yet, but give me another 18 months to develop and it will be a different answer.

How do you feel Barry McGuigans mentorship has helped you develop into the professional game?

Having Barry as a manager and a mentor has been great. He has a wealth of knowledge on boxing and is always giving me good advice.

Having Barry McGuigan as your mentor obviously brings with it a greater degree of publicity than having a lesser known figure, and whilst it is undoubtedly a nice luxury to have, do you find that it brings an added degree of pressure for you to perform and be a success?

Barry has been singing my praises for a while now and it's put me in the limelight more so than some other prospects. Some may think there's a bit of pressure on me, and rightly so, but I think that's a good thing. It makes me want to meet his expectations even more.

Is there any boxer, past or present, that you try to model yourself upon?

I don't try to model myself on anyone, but I have been told by Spencer Fearon and Jason Booth that my style is similar to Miguel Cotto's.

How do you rate the current Super-Bantamweight domestic scene in the UK?

I think the British Super-Bantamweight scene is one of the most competitive. You have (Jason) Booth with the British title and (Rendall) Munroe who says he's ahead of everybody else, but I would love a fight with any of these guys. Also you have Scott Quigg who deserves a mention.

Scott Quigg is another unbeaten prospect, like yourself, operating at Super-Bantamweight. What are your thoughts on this potential matchup, and can we expect it to happen in the near future?

I would love a fight with Scott Quigg. It's a fight that I know I would come out on top of. Also, it would be massive for British boxing. You have to give the guy some credit for getting to where he has with little amateur experience, but I've been at this game from when I was 7 and I know there would only be one winner every time.

The olympic style drug testing issue has caused a well publicised stir across world boxing over the last 2 years. What is your personal opinion on the issue, and do you think it should be made mandatory?

I think Olympic style drug testing should be made mandatory. When I was an amateur drug testing happened a few times a year, and always without warning. This is how I think it should be. It should be completely random but I don't think a fighter such as Floyd Mayweather should be able to dictate when and by what method it should be done.

What is more important to you, money or legacy? In boxing the two can often go hand in hand, but say you were to win the Euromillions jackpot, would you still have the drive to make a success of your boxing career? Be honest ;-)

Legacy is definitely more important to me. Boxing is all I've know from an early age. I've dreamed about being a world champion since I was very young and I'm really determined to get to the top. Sure, money is important and I would like to make enough so my family could be secure for life, but legacy is more important to me.

Despite the fact that you are only just making your way in the professional game, is there any fight in particular you have had that has really taught you something and given you invaluable experience as you further your career?

I think my last fight with (Robbie) Turley was a great learning fight. I learnt that I won't be able to knock everyone out, and that if I use my boxing ability more I can comfortably outbox a lot of opponents. For me it was a good fight to have. Having to deal with someone so awkward, having to deal with being cut, and being able to do the 10 round distance I think it will really stand to me in the future.

How long do you spend in training camp before your fights at this moment in time, and are there any unorthodox training techniques you use?

I don't really have any unorthodox training methods, but I like a good 8 weeks of hard graft. I'm never really out of training though, I'm always doing something.

Favourite fighter currently active?

Manny Pacquaio.

Favourite fighter of the past?

Wayne McCullough or Mike Tyson.

If you could witness any boxing event past, present or future, what would it be?

Past would be the 'Thriller in Manila' or McGuigan vs Pedroza at Loftus Road. Future would be Pacman vs Floyd.

Off Topic / Answer At Your Own Peril Questions

Do you have any other hobbies outside of boxing?

I don't have much time for hobbies with training and the new bambino but I like a bit of 5-a-side.

Favourite film?

Favourite film is One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

If you could be any fictional character, who would you choose?

Forest Gump.

If there was one celebrity you could land a free punch on, who would it be?

Jeremy Kyle, Peter Andre or anyone that's on The Only Way is Essex/Made in Chelsea, if you could call them celebrities.

Anything you regret from your short time in boxing so far?

No regrets.

If you wasn't a boxer, what would you be?

Lemonade man as it was my only ever other job!

Body is a temple, or partial to a few ales and kebabs between training camps?

Very rarely touch the booze anymore, love a dirty kebab with cheese and garlic sauce but not too many because the body is a temple.

Ever been distracted by a ring girl when you are meant to be listening to your trainer?

No always 100% focused.

If we at 606V2 offered you the ginger one from Girls Aloud on a plate, no strings attached, would you (you are allowed a few beers first, if necessary)?

I think the ginger one is under rated. She's in a group surrounded by stunners and I think people single her out a little. But I defo would and without a few beers!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Q&A with Carl 'The Jackal' Frampton. Empty Re: Q&A with Carl 'The Jackal' Frampton.

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 15 Jul 2011, 11:34 am

Great stuff seems a nice guy.
A bit disappointed he said he would knock back a fight with Rigondeaux. He would most likely lose but it would be a good learning experience for him. A defeat at that level would do him no harm at all.
I agree with him on the ginger from Girls Aloud. She is bang tidy! randy
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Q&A with Carl 'The Jackal' Frampton. Empty Re: Q&A with Carl 'The Jackal' Frampton.

Post by Scottrf Fri 15 Jul 2011, 11:35 am

He's right, the ginger one is underrated and the people from the Essex TV show need a punch. Good job FOF. Kiko would be a good test, or Booth. Maybe a couple of fights first though.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 15 Jul 2011, 11:42 am

Good work Fists, nice to see Carl answered the off topic ones in good nature. You have done well on these, need to step it up a bit and get Naz next. Pity D4 is not still on here with his exclusive access to behind closed doors negotations am sure he could have secured us some mega stars

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Fri 15 Jul 2011, 11:43 am

Very well done, Fists.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 15 Jul 2011, 11:46 am

Cheers, guys. I'm not sure I agree that he should be looking for a Rigondeaux fight at this point in time. It does no harm to step up in class early doors, but by the looks of it Carl is clearly doing that anyway as he is planning a Euro title tilt, which for a fighter of his experience, is to be commended.

A gradual step up in opposition is a far more sensible way to go, and as he said, look at the likes of Rigondeaux in 18 months time after he has developed his own game.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 15 Jul 2011, 11:49 am

Fists of Fury wrote:Cheers, guys. I'm not sure I agree that he should be looking for a Rigondeaux fight at this point in time. It does no harm to step up in class early doors, but by the looks of it Carl is clearly doing that anyway as he is planning a Euro title tilt, which for a fighter of his experience, is to be commended.

A gradual step up in opposition is a far more sensible way to go, and as he said, look at the likes of Rigondeaux in 18 months time after he has developed his own game.

I didn't mean he should be looking for it but if he was offered it out of nowhere like Willie Casey I don't think it would do him any harm even if he lost. Rigondeaux wouldn't seriously hurt him he isn't that kind of puncher. His body shots are excellent but that is as much down to accuracy as power.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 15 Jul 2011, 11:51 am

prettyboykev wrote:
Fists of Fury wrote:Cheers, guys. I'm not sure I agree that he should be looking for a Rigondeaux fight at this point in time. It does no harm to step up in class early doors, but by the looks of it Carl is clearly doing that anyway as he is planning a Euro title tilt, which for a fighter of his experience, is to be commended.

I didn't mean he should be looking for it but if he was offered it out of nowhere like Willie Casey I don't think it would do him any harm even if he lost. Rigondeaux wouldn't seriously hurt him he isn't that kind of puncher. His body shots are excellent but that is as much down to accuracy as power.

A loss would set him back in time and possibly dent his confidence.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 15 Jul 2011, 11:52 am

I do see your point, but in reality there is some clearing of the domestic/euro scene to be done first, and then he will more than likely be on the radar of the Rigondeaux's of this world.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 15 Jul 2011, 11:53 am

Scottrf wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:

A loss would set him back in time and possibly dent his confidence.

Don't see how a loss to Rigondeaux would set him back he is a top fighter and possibly the best at the weight. The confidence part maybe but that's where mental toughness comes in, it could be a great learning experience for him.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 15 Jul 2011, 11:56 am

I am all for prospects being matched tough and even being matched in fights where they may pick up a loss if the amount of experience they may gain is a price worth paying, but for me Rigondeux is not such a fight he is simply too far in front of Carl at the minute for the end to justify the means. Would get well paid but would not learn too much I would have thought other than how far he is at the minute from world level and from a confidence point of view is that something you want pointing out to you.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 15 Jul 2011, 11:56 am

A loss always sets someone back. Klitschko is the best at the weight, you can hardly say a loss didn't affect Haye. Same with McCloskey after Khan, he will have to rebuild. Lockett never came back after his title shot.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Fri 15 Jul 2011, 11:58 am

Great work Fists. He comes across as a pleasant down to earth chap. Good questions as well.

Nice one!

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 15 Jul 2011, 12:01 pm

rowley wrote:I am all for prospects being matched tough and even being matched in fights where they may pick up a loss if the amount of experience they may gain is a price worth paying, but for me Rigondeux is not such a fight he is simply too far in front of Carl at the minute for the end to justify the means. Would get well paid but would not learn too much I would have thought other than how far he is at the minute from world level and from a confidence point of view is that something you want pointing out to you.

I'm in agreement, Jeff, and as I alluded to above I think Carl is going about it in the right way. Being matched with Kiko Martinez at this early stage is a risk in itself, and props to Carl for looking for that fight, so I think it is clear that he is pushing himself and not banking on guaranteed wins.

He seems like he has his feet firmly on the ground, but you can tell from his answers that he has that burning desire to make a name for himself in the sport, and it'll be interesting to watch his progress over the next 12-18 months.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Fri 15 Jul 2011, 12:05 pm

Interesting that Manny and Tyson are mentioned as his favourite boxers, especially as they get so much slack from us armchair pundits.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri 15 Jul 2011, 12:17 pm

Very well done Fists - seems like a good guy.

It would be great if he went on to the world title and then came back for another Q&A

Shame D4 isn't around to admire his favorite boxer!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 15 Jul 2011, 12:19 pm

Can I just ask I've not been on in a while what happened to D4? I liked him.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 15 Jul 2011, 12:21 pm

Probably got bored of being accused of bias or having ulterior motives in his posts.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 15 Jul 2011, 12:23 pm

Hobo wrote:Very well done Fists - seems like a good guy.

It would be great if he went on to the world title and then came back for another Q&A

Shame D4 isn't around to admire his favorite boxer!

Yeah I have said to Carl via email that it'd be good to do a further Q&A at some point down the line in his career - see how his outlooks on various subjects have changed etc, and he will have a whole host of experiences to talk about, also, one would think.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 15 Jul 2011, 12:24 pm

Easy solution would always have been to not answer him if you never liked what he was saying or thought he was ridiculous. That sentiment was lost on a lot of people.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 15 Jul 2011, 12:39 pm

Kev appreciate what you are saying but not that easy when you write a thread about the best heavyweight of all time or the lack of footage of Harry Greb and D4 pops up to tell you that Manny could eat more cheese in one sitting than Mayweather or some such drivel.

Last edited by rowley on Fri 15 Jul 2011, 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I am a moron)

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri 15 Jul 2011, 1:06 pm

I know what you mean mate but ignoring him and sticking to the topic would have put an end to his carry on long ago.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Fri 15 Jul 2011, 1:46 pm

Who asked the one about the ginger bird?!?

She'd get annhialated every single which way i can think of and may well end up requiring counselling to cope with the trauma of going at it for 72hrs solid (including breaks)

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 15 Jul 2011, 1:50 pm

You're a charmer you Coxy, what's wrong with romancing a lady first you know buying them a kebab and a bottle of blue nun. Women appreciate blokes with a bit of class mate.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 15 Jul 2011, 1:57 pm

Ha! I forget who it was, though a quick browse through the original Q&A thread I posted the other week confirms that it was indeed John Bloody Wayne!

Must admit...I'd happily spend a few seconds of my time having a bash on her.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 15 Jul 2011, 7:41 pm

Ehehehe! Cool

Great stuff, he does come across well. Nice to see him ending on a high note.

Last edited by John Bloody Wayne on Fri 15 Jul 2011, 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : CHEEESE)

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Fri 15 Jul 2011, 9:26 pm

Wish he had explained more why he chose Forrest Gump, quality answer.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Mon 18 Jul 2011, 10:13 pm

He seems like a good guy, nice prospect too, good boxer puncher, Could do with a domestic showdown next.
Fists - great work again, loving your interviews.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Tue 19 Jul 2011, 1:22 pm

Anyone who dislikes Jeremy Kyle as much as I do is OK in my book!

Seems like a good lad.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down