The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Corinthians improve offer for Tevez

5 posters

Go down

Corinthians improve offer for Tevez Empty Corinthians improve offer for Tevez

Post by Crimey Sat 16 Jul 2011, 4:24 pm

Brazilian side Corinthians have made an improved offer for Manchester City captain Carlos Tevez.

Earlier this week they failed in a £35m offer for the want-away Argentine striker and are understood to have come back with a £39m bid.

"I do know there has been an increased offer," Tevez's representative Kia Joorabchian told BBC Sport, "but the bid only went in on Friday and it's very early stages."

City want close to £50m for Tevez.

They are determined not to be rushed into a deal, but were it to go ahead manager Roberto Mancini would then pursue his interest in Atletico Madrid's Sergio Aguero.

City believe they are in a powerful position as they are under no financial pressure to sell and Tevez is still locked into a long-term contract believed to be worth in excess of £200,000 per week.

So Corinthians' latest offer may still not be enough to persuade City into selling the 27-year-old, who last season captained them to the FA Cup and a place in the Champions League.

The Brazilians, backed by revenue from a new television deal, want to make Tevez a landmark signing by taking him back to the club where he previously enjoyed success.

Moving to South America would also help solve Tevez's problem of being separated from his family.

If he does go, his 23-year-old fellow countryman Aguero, who is rated at £45m by Atletico, is regarded as a natural replacement.

But City will not make a move for him until Tevez's future is clarified.

Seems like Corinthians are deadly serious about this deal. I can actually see this going ahead, as long as Corinthians have money left over to give him a good wage. I think it's getting to the point now that City should probably consider seeling Tevez, not a money issue but it's very unlikely that Tevez will put the same amount of effort next year if he's being kept against is will at the club.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Corinthians improve offer for Tevez Empty Re: Corinthians improve offer for Tevez

Post by Guest Sat 16 Jul 2011, 4:38 pm

Just don't buy into Corinthians being serious contenders. I see it as Man City using Corinthians to publicise the availability of Carlos Tevez and as soon as they have a bid accepted, Man City will want other big European club to match the big Corinthian bid. Don't see why they are going for him as they have Willian, Adriano and Liedson. I'm not saying they're better, but they're good enough for a team like Corinthians.

Back to top Go down

Corinthians improve offer for Tevez Empty Re: Corinthians improve offer for Tevez

Post by Derbyblue Sat 16 Jul 2011, 5:15 pm

invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:I think it's getting to the point now that City should probably consider seeling Tevez, not a money issue but it's very unlikely that Tevez will put the same amount of effort next year if he's being kept against is will at the club.
I would say the fact they seem to have decided on a price for him would suggest they are considering selling but they won't be rushed into a deal as they aren't in any need of the money, also Aguero has said he wouldn't make a decision on his future until after the Copa America. I'm not sure how interested in the move he would be though, I would have thought Tevez wanting to leave despite the money his is currently earning would be giving Aguero a bad impression of the club and it's not like he will be short on offers.

Churchill wrote:Just don't buy into Corinthians being serious contenders. I see it as Man City using Corinthians to publicise the availability of Carlos Tevez and as soon as they have a bid accepted, Man City will want other big European club to match the big Corinthian bid.
Why would they favour a European team over a South American team? I just don't see any reason in favouring him moving to another European team, surely outside of England and they'll be happy then outside of Europe and they have the bonus of not having to meet him in any competitions, except maybe the club world cup.

Churchill wrote:Don't see why they are going for him as they have Willian, Adriano and Liedson. I'm not saying they're better, but they're good enough for a team like Corinthians.
Isn't this like saying why would Real Madrid want to sign him they've got Higuain, Benzema and Ronaldo?

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 16 Jul 2011, 5:33 pm

I don't think Man City favour Corinthians over a European team, I think they're hoping at some stage another big team will become involved and try to start a bidding war.

I get what you're saying with the Madrid comment, I guess I just can't see a Brazilian team signing Tevez. He just seems talented enough to play for bigger and better teams.

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Sat 16 Jul 2011, 6:20 pm

Churchill wrote:I don't think Man City favour Corinthians over a European team, I think they're hoping at some stage another big team will become involved and try to start a bidding war.

I get what you're saying with the Madrid comment, I guess I just can't see a Brazilian team signing Tevez. He just seems talented enough to play for bigger and better teams.
Ok I think I misunderstood your point.

Isn't that though a bit like saying Tevez is talented enough to be playing for bigger and better teams than Manchester City? If the money is right then any club is a possibility, also the move to South America would allow him to be nearer to his family, which is supposedly the reason he wants to leave Manchester in the first place.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by BigPhil Sat 16 Jul 2011, 6:32 pm

I really can't believe how Manchester City want £50 million for Tevez, is their level of misguided arrogance now so stratospherically high?

BigPhil

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 16 Jul 2011, 6:39 pm

Derbyblue wrote:Ok I think I misunderstood your point.

Isn't that though a bit like saying Tevez is talented enough to be playing for bigger and better teams than Manchester City? If the money is right then any club is a possibility, also the move to South America would allow him to be nearer to his family, which is supposedly the reason he wants to leave Manchester in the first place.

Yeah moving to South America makes sense for family reasons, and for a a player so talented he'd be a great asset for Corinthians. But Tevez would fit into any top European team that could win him medals, trophies and add to his already big reputation.

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Sat 16 Jul 2011, 6:42 pm

BigPhil wrote:I really can't believe how Manchester City want £50 million for Tevez, is their level of misguided arrogance now so stratospherically high?

Because they paid £47m for him when they signed from him, and they can't keep throwing money even if they can afford it. It will go a long way towards them meeting the fair play regulations.

I think it's win-win for Tevez and City if Corinthians make the deal happen. He gets back to South America and his family, and City don't strengthen a potential Euro rival.

Brazilian football sure is booming at the moment though, maybe we'll see more players staying there rather than coming to Europe for the cash.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by RandomJ Sun 17 Jul 2011, 10:29 am

BigPhil wrote:I really can't believe how Manchester City want £50 million for Tevez, is their level of misguided arrogance now so stratospherically high?

Torres went for £50 million and can't score in a brothal. City have every right to ask for £50 million for what is at the moment one of world footballs finest strikers.

RandomJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 18 Jul 2011, 10:22 am

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini has said that an agreement has been reached for the sale of Argentina striker Carlos Tevez to Corinthians.

A £39m bid from the Brazilian club was rejected last week, with City believed to be holding out for £50m.

Tevez, 27, had said he wanted to leave the Premier League outfit to spend more time with his family in his homeland.

"We have an agreement with Corinthians but Carlos now is still a City player," Mancini told Sky Sports News.

The Sao Paulo club, backed by revenue from a new television deal, want to make Tevez a landmark signing by taking him back to the club where he previously enjoyed success.

Moving to South America would also help to solve Tevez's problem of being separated from his two children.

Corinthians president Andres Sanchez claimed last week that Juventus had entered the race to sign Tevez but added his own club would not increase their offer.

However, Tevez's adviser Kia Joorabchian revealed a few days ago that a deal with Corinthians was "close", with the player himself keen on a return to the club he previously represented in 2005 and 2006.

The former West Ham forward, who joined City from Manchester United in the summer of 2009, is under contract with Mancini's side until June 2014.

Last season Tevez was joint top scorer in the Premier League, with 20 goals.

Asked whether Tevez would now be discussing personal terms, Mancini replied: "I don't know this. I repeat, at the moment, Carlos is still a City player."

Mancini is currently on his club's pre-season tour of North America and added: "I want to wait. At the moment we are here, we are working with the other guys. We should think about this."

If Tevez does go, his 23-year-old fellow countryman Sergion Aguero, who is rated at £45m by Atletico, is regarded as a natural replacement.

This could be the most shocking move of the summer. I don't know if Aguero will be able to replicate the drive and passion Tevez had.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 20 Jul 2011, 7:41 am

Carlos Tevez's move from Manchester City to Corinthians has fallen through because the Brazilian club pulled out.

City thought a £40m deal had been agreed for the Argentine striker after he told the Premier League club he wanted to return to South America.

But Corinthians said there was not enough time to sign the the 27-year-old before the Brazilian transfer window closes at 0400 BST on Thursday.

Corinthians still want Tevez and hinted an agreement can be reached in January.

It had appeared that the former West Ham forward had got his wish for a transfer but then in a statement Corinthians said: "The board of Sporting Club Corinthians hereby officially announce the impossibility of hiring the Argentine striker Carlos Tevez.
"While acknowledging the efforts of Manchester City and all involved in the negotiation, more time is needed for the transfer to be achieved, given that the window to sign players from abroad closes on Wednesday, 20 July [Brazilian time].

"We are aware of the dream our fans had of having this player at Corinthians again and we look forward to him being with us in the near future."

That would indicate that Corinthians could look to revive the deal in January, although that would not be the preferred option of City or Tevez.

Tevez originally asked City for a transfer in December and has since reiterated the desire to leave so he can be closer to his family in Argentina.

However, there are few clubs who can match City's asking price of about £40m.

Corinthians' move for Tevez - which emerged on Monday - was believed to be funded by a new television deal for Brazilian clubs.

But the Sao Paulo side's response to City's demand for a proper payment schedule on Tuesday was perhaps a sign the transfer would not have gone smoothly.

The breakdown of Tevez's move to Corinthians also leaves City manager Roberto Mancini's proposed move for Atletico Madrid striker Sergio Aguero in doubt.

Tevez, who is contracted to City until 2014, has been a key player for the club since arriving from neighbours Manchester United in 2009.

The Argentine helped Mancini's side to FA Cup success and Champions League qualification last season. He has scored 43 Premier League goals in his two seasons at City - the highest total of any player in the top division.

I can't work out whether this is good news or bad news, the reports are that they needed confirmation from Corinithians that they had the money to do the move and it was after that then that City went in for Aguero, now that they have pulled out, Man City could spend £45 million on Aguero, while also still having Tevez at the club...not good for the fairplay rules.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Wed 20 Jul 2011, 11:39 am

I think they'll be able to still sell Tevez if they aren't happy to wait until January, but I expect they'll be happy to wait until January if Tevez knows the deal will be getting sorted out he should be happy and stay motivated to keep Corinthians interested. I'm not sure who else they'll want to sell him to as I heard reports that they had clauses in the transfer deal which meant he couldn't be sold to a European club in the next two years. They could always agree the fee with Atletico Madrid and Aguero, but have the deal go through in January.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 26 Jul 2011, 10:56 am

i think tevez will stay another season

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Tue 26 Jul 2011, 11:41 am

I don't think he will if they get Aguero... it wouldn't make sense. That is unless Balotelli goes mental and ends up in jail.

Inter appear to be interested in him.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down