The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Swing Tips

4 posters

Go down

Swing Tips Empty Swing Tips

Post by Gareth_NI Tue 15 Feb 2011, 10:44 pm

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could advise on tips/guides/drills which I could practice in order to "turn my fore-arms" on impact?
- the last lesson I had with a pro, October time, he advised that Tom Watson used to say it was as if your right fore-arm is trying to attack your left, he further advised to swing a long irons stright in front of you (almost like a base-ball bat)
- mainly it's only affecting my driving with Driver/3-Wood but occassionally with longer irons (5/6, 5 being the longest i carry), with driver/3 wood especially I'm fading/slicing quite alot to the right, the pro stated that I'm "blocking" the ball or sending the club straight through it as opposed to arc-ing, and that I'm getting away with it with irons due to carrying only those which are of higher loft.

I've started to tee the ball much more to the left of my stance which is helping but a few "blocked" drives continue to creep in. Due to the crabby Fife weather over the past months and limited day-light I haven't had another lesson since, and hope to get another next week, just thought I'd ask on the off chance that someone could provide their insight.

Any advise would be hugely appreciative,

Cheers,
Gareth

Gareth_NI

Back to top Go down

Swing Tips Empty Re: Swing Tips

Post by golfermartin Tue 15 Feb 2011, 10:58 pm

Henry Cotton used to advocate hitting an old car tyre with a golf club (normal grip, stance etc and really stinging it with the right hand). I would advise an old club though.

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Wed 16 Feb 2011, 11:28 am

golfermartin wrote:Henry Cotton used to advocate hitting an old car tyre with a golf club (normal grip, stance etc and really stinging it with the right hand). I would advise an old club though.

Gary player talked about doing this for hours on end in his back garden - he said it was because he was smaller than all the other players and wanted to build up his forearms and shoulders, so it's more of a strength/conditioning thing rather than technique.

Technique wise I hit balls at the range with a 20p a couple of feet behind the ball and one a foot in front of the ball. I try to ensure the club travels over both and that tends (with me) to make my right arm come over the top a bit more. It's turned a natural fade for me in to a bit of a draw.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed 16 Feb 2011, 11:38 am

Hold the club out horizontally and swing it around you keeping the clubhead level.

In order to do that you have to rotate your forearms properly. It's also good to feel the plane of your swing.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down