The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alvarez Steps Up Again

3 posters

Go down

Alvarez Steps Up Again Empty Alvarez Steps Up Again

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:31 pm

Alvarez is fighting Alfonso Gomez next in defence of his WBC title.

If Rhodes was his mandatory (not sure but think he was due to injury to others?) then he is free to fight Gomez but even after this fight I can imagine he'll be matched very safely.

He's staying very active, but I'd rather see him fight decent opposition twice a year than B-level guys 4 times a year.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Alvarez Steps Up Again Empty Re: Alvarez Steps Up Again

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:37 pm

Who is their for him to fight?
Cotto won't happen because of GBP and top rank. I don't see Arum putting Cotto who is damaged goods in against a fit young strong man who could hurt him especially because of who promotes Alvarez.

Bundrage and Dzinziruk are decent fights that I think he would win. Maybe Lara but their isn't much else.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:52 pm

prettyboykev wrote:Who is their for him to fight?
Cotto won't happen because of GBP and top rank. I don't see Arum putting Cotto who is damaged goods in against a fit young strong man who could hurt him especially because of who promotes Alvarez.

Bundrage and Dzinziruk are decent fights that I think he would win. Maybe Lara but their isn't much else.

I know the division is fairly weak but considering he has one of, if not the most prestigious belt (albeit they are all shameful now), his competition is not great.

Anyone of the following would be far more respectable than Gomez:

Lara
Williams
Cotto
Dzinziruk
Cintron
Angulo
Martirsoyon
Bundrage

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:11 pm

Williams and Cinton would be hard to sell given their last couple of outings. Gomez is an all Mexican fight. I'm guessing being held in Mexico or California. Angulo would have been a better choice imo.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:18 pm

prettyboykev wrote:Williams and Cinton would be hard to sell given their last couple of outings. Gomez is an all Mexican fight. I'm guessing being held in Mexico or California. Angulo would have been a better choice imo.

California i believe is the venue (Staple Centre) Angulo is a good fight.

Agreed about Williams and Cintron but still better fights.

I just think Alvarez is just trying to get a JCC type fight record and not too concerned who he fights. I know he's young but that argument is completely irrelevant when a champ.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:27 pm

Valero's Conscience wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:Williams and Cinton would be hard to sell given their last couple of outings. Gomez is an all Mexican fight. I'm guessing being held in Mexico or California. Angulo would have been a better choice imo.

California i believe is the venue (Staple Centre) Angulo is a good fight.

Agreed about Williams and Cintron but still better fights.

I just think Alvarez is just trying to get a JCC type fight record and not too concerned who he fights. I know he's young but that argument is completely irrelevant when a champ.

I totally agree a champ should be looking for the top fights. I would pick him to beat anyone at the weight. He seems keen on the JCC fight which I can see happening next year because it would be a great earner for both.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 18 Jul 2011, 3:29 pm

i bet he has approched some on that list. his opposition hasn't been great but there not just pugbags he's been in with, rhodes for example is a tricky guy to look good against and can bang like a gun- and alverez has always impressed. i think alot of people wouldnt fancy taking on alverez, especially if they can still get other fights that will make money.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down