The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

surrey vs Warwickshire Clydesdale Bank 40

+5
Carrotdude
Corporalhumblebucket
guildfordbat
jbd349
jimbobgooner
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

surrey vs Warwickshire Clydesdale Bank 40  Empty surrey vs Warwickshire Clydesdale Bank 40

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 24 Jul 2011, 10:18 am

Matthew Spriegel replaces Gary Wilson, as Chris Adams names a thirteen man squad to face Warwickshire in the Clydesdale Bank 40 at Woodbridge Road today.
This is the only change to the squad that was selected to face Durham in the abandoned fixture at Chester-le-Street last Sunday.
The full Surrey Lions squad to face the Warwickshire Bears at Woodbridge Road in Guildford on Sunday 24th July, is
Jason Roy
Steven Davies (Wicket Keeper)
Rory Hamilton-Brown (Captain)
Tom Maynard
Zander de Bruyn
Matthew Spriegel
Zafar Ansari
Gareth Batty
Yasir Arafat
Jade Dernbach
Chris Schofield
Tim Linley
Stuart Meaker
i shall be making my way to guildford shortly so hope to see you all there in the beer tents Very Happy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

surrey vs Warwickshire Clydesdale Bank 40  Empty Re: surrey vs Warwickshire Clydesdale Bank 40

Post by jbd349 Sun 24 Jul 2011, 10:35 am

Good to see Spriegel back

jbd349

Back to top Go down

surrey vs Warwickshire Clydesdale Bank 40  Empty Re: surrey vs Warwickshire Clydesdale Bank 40

Post by guildfordbat Sun 24 Jul 2011, 11:14 am

JimBob - I will be delighted to buy you a pint. See you by the ice cream van next to the beer tent at the end of the first innings. Guildford

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 24 Jul 2011, 11:37 am

As for the cricket, in our thirteen man squad today we have five slowies: Batty, Gaffer, Schofield, Hyphen and the recalled Spriegel. Quite odd considering the new wicket to be used had a very green top on Friday.

According to the normally reliable Surrey Advertiser, we might soon be getting another - Indian left arm spinner Pragyan Ojha. The Ad reports the 24-year old has taken 42 wickets at 40 in 11 tests and played 16 ODIs with a reputation for being a sharp spinner of the ball. Recommended by Anil Kumble. Still subject to getting all paperwork sorted including obtaining a visa but Adams hopes to have him for the last 5 CC matches.

Back to today - my guess would be for Schofield and the currently wayward Meaker to miss out.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jbd349 Sun 24 Jul 2011, 12:38 pm

Agree that Meaker should miss out on current form, but based on performances in the CB40 this year, Schofield should be playing ahead of Batty.

jbd349

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 24 Jul 2011, 12:56 pm

If Meaker + Batty/Schofield misses out we will still have 8 bowling options including Hyphen. Might well need most of them....

Possible that Evans (ex Surrey 2nd XI) might feature for Warks - he got a half century for them the other day....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Jul 2011, 1:07 pm

does rory bowl much now?

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 24 Jul 2011, 1:37 pm

Not a great deal CF. He had one very successful limited overs match this season where he cut down the opponents run rate very effectively. But mostly in limited overs Surrey are playing so many bowlers and bowling all rounders that he doesn't get to bowl... He bowled a few token overs as Surrey were losing to Middlesex yesterday....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 24 Jul 2011, 2:10 pm

What do I know? RHB (The Hyphen) opens the bowling for Surrey against Warks. Batty and Meaker miss out - good call by JBD.....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 24 Jul 2011, 2:48 pm

Hi guys reporting live from the ground it was going so well then we brought Schofield on Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 24 Jul 2011, 3:03 pm

Zaffer the gaffer strikes 95 for 4 Very Happy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 24 Jul 2011, 5:44 pm

Match in the balance - rebuilding job by Maynard and the Brain after a typical poor start to our innings. Not a lot of solid batting to come after these two so we need at least one of these two to see us through to the end.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 24 Jul 2011, 6:04 pm

The Brain and Spriegel together - risk that innings will grind to a halt. Need a Spriegel special where he plays himself in and then scores quick runs. Erm

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 24 Jul 2011, 7:27 pm

Well done the Brain to see us home with useful support from Ansari and Schofield near the end. Looks like Guildford and Jimbob will have had an excellent day out. Look forward to their reports.

Even better Leics beat Northants today.... clap clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jbd349 Sun 24 Jul 2011, 7:56 pm

Was at the ground today - a few thoughts:

-Arafat shouldn't have been batting above Ansari (as evidenced by Surrey cheers when he got out)

-Good all round bowling performance apart from He Who Must Not Be Named and Dernbach at the death

-Arafat bowled well, but did not deserve a fifer (first two wickets were long hops and Ambrose was in the slot but missed)

-De Bruyn and Ansari batted really well with Davies and Maynard also looking good until getting out

-RHB was very irresponsible, dancing down for a big heave in the first over

jbd349

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Sun 24 Jul 2011, 8:31 pm

Good to get another win today, fantastic knock from The Brain, he is fast becoming our key man in all forms except T20! Pleased to see Arafat show some form, even if he was slightly flattered, should give him some confidence and possibly make him a better option than Meaker for the next CC match. Gaffer once again shows his promise as a batsman, especially in the one day form.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 24 Jul 2011, 8:40 pm

Hi guys still in guildford at the moment enjoying the city center full report later

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Jul 2011, 8:43 pm

who's gaffer??

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 24 Jul 2011, 8:46 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:who's gaffer??
Anasri cricketfan

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 24 Jul 2011, 9:36 pm

Recently back from the game. Almost inevitably a few wobbles on the way but we got there in the end with The Brain taking the lead and several others providing valuable support.

Very much agree with jbd's thoughts. To back up and in addition:

- Like nearly all in the crowd, very surprised by Hyphen opening the bowling. However, he generally kept it tight resulting in Warwicks being behind the generally expected rate when he finished his 8 overs bowled in the one spell.

- Two fine spells of 4 overs each from the Viscount making his exclusion from the t20 side seem even more odd.

- Generally good fielding from Surrey with several good catches. The first two by Spriegel off Arafat's bowling were well taken and gave the bowler some much needed confidence as well as putting Warwicks on the back foot.

- To emphasise how poor Dernbach was, a Surrey supporter joked ''Dernbach's a death bowler - he'll be the death of me!''

- Well judged lovely innings from The Brain to get us back on the straight and narrow and finally see us home.

- Several good supporting innings of which the stand out performance was from the Gaffer. He also provided momentum just when we needed it in the closing overs. One glorious six from him into the Woodbridge Road really changed the mood as it seemed to signal to both sides and supporters that a Surrey win was really on.

As for Surrey old boys, Rikki Clarke had a good game. He batted with restraint at first and then upped the tempo as he accelerated the run rate towards the end of his side's knock. Bar an expensive final over, he also bowled pretty accurately. As for Lawrie Evans, he had to settle for twelfth man duties!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jbd349 Sun 24 Jul 2011, 9:45 pm

I have to say, I was screaming about RHB opening up, but it worked out quite nicely as he was miserly and it meant that spinners didn't need to be bowled near the end of the innings with the short boundries.

jbd349

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 24 Jul 2011, 9:56 pm

how did dernbach do?

Back to top Go down

Post by jbd349 Sun 24 Jul 2011, 10:01 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:how did dernbach do?

First five overs were pretty good but his three at the death were appalling

jbd349

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 24 Jul 2011, 10:09 pm

Hi cricketfan,

Dernbach had a poor game and ended up with figures of 8 - 0 - 58 - 1. He was particularly disappointing bowling at the end of Warwicks' innings. He seemed to bowl too many slower balls and came in for heavy punishment. His one wicket was a decent boundary catch by Jason Roy.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Sun 24 Jul 2011, 10:20 pm

I know it didn't really make much difference today but I would prefer to swap Hyphen and Roy after the latters good end to the T20 campaign as an opener.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 24 Jul 2011, 10:26 pm

Did Jimbob and Guildford manage to meet up at half time? Ale

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 24 Jul 2011, 10:38 pm

Corporal (or should I call you ''dude'' as someone else did on the England v India thread) - No, I was sadly stood up. Sad

I did see a drunken supporter throw a football onto the pitch during play but I'm sure that wasn't JimBob! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 24 Jul 2011, 10:49 pm

Guildford - disciplinary offence to call me dude - at least when I'm on duty!

CB40 table is looking good at the moment. Interesting that neither the Brain or Spriegel got to bowl today.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 24 Jul 2011, 10:52 pm

guildfordbat wrote:

I did see a drunken supporter throw a football onto the pitch during play but I'm sure that wasn't JimBob! Very Happy

And I'm equally sure it wasn't JBD Very Happy

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Sun 24 Jul 2011, 11:18 pm

Sounds like a good day at Guildford today! Could there yet be some silverware at the Oval this season? Very Happy

Hope to meet up with the "dude", aka The Corporal next week at Guildford & maybe even see Surrey have a good day Very Happy

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Sun 24 Jul 2011, 11:19 pm

oh dear, its getting late, Corporal, if your still reading, I meant to say next year & Guildford & not next week Doh

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 24 Jul 2011, 11:54 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Guildford - disciplinary offence to call me dude - at least when I'm on duty!

CB40 table is looking good at the moment. Interesting that neither the Brain or Spriegel got to bowl today.

Corporal - assume longhopmerchant will be spending a few days in the glasshouse Very Happy

Once Hyphen had put his 8 overs in the locker, the bowling formations were then reminiscent of an old John Player League game (you, at least, should understand that Shocked ) - the 3 seamers each bowling 8 overs with two slowies making up 8 overs between them. We would probably have been better off today with the Brain replacing Dernbach for a couple of overs at the end although such a decision might have created unwelcome repercussions.

I guess Spriegel might have bowled if Hyphen's early overs had proved expensive, However, that wasn't the case and Spriegel never got a look in with the ball. Batting wise, Spriegel brought some useful stability to the middle order although he never gave the impression that he could up the run rate in the later overs. He probably got out around the right time! He also fielded well as mentioned earlier.

Chichester - a warm welcome from me although it sounds like you had a liquid one from the Corporal last week Wink Hope you'll stick around on the Surrey threads.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 25 Jul 2011, 12:01 am

guildfordbat wrote:Corporal (or should I call you ''dude'' as someone else did on the England v India thread) - No, I was sadly stood up. Sad

Guildford I did not stand you up there were 2 ice cream vans there.which one were you at by the way I wore a pink rose so you could recognise me. Wink

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 25 Jul 2011, 12:07 am

JimBob - we'll have to get our ice cream vans in a row next year! Wink

Anyway, a glorious day, exciting game and good win to increase our lead at the top Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 25 Jul 2011, 12:46 am

will do guildford Very Happy
i have to agree with nearly everything guildford and jbd said about the match. the only thing i will say is if anyone cheered when arafat got out then shame on them no surrey player getting out should ever be cheered no matter what the circumstances. mad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jbd349 Mon 25 Jul 2011, 10:33 am

JimBob

Rest assured, I was not one of those cheering (although I have to admit to feeling a bit relieved as Arafat did not look like scoring at the rate we needed hi to)

jbd349

Back to top Go down

Post by Tibor Mon 25 Jul 2011, 3:59 pm

anyone seen my football?

Tibor

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 25 Jul 2011, 4:24 pm

Tibor wrote:anyone seen my football?
laughing Yahoo

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Mon 25 Jul 2011, 4:49 pm

carberry really struggling for us Sad hope he gets back to the form he had before his illness..

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 25 Jul 2011, 5:13 pm

Jimbo - I think that when players return from a lengthy illness or injury, there is too often an unrealistic expectation that they can just pick up from where they left off.

We (Surrey) have been guilty of that this season in respect of Michael Brown and Chris Jordan who both missed virtually all of 2010.

The return to playing probably needs to be managed as carefully as the injury or illness.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Mon 25 Jul 2011, 10:07 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Guildford - disciplinary offence to call me dude - at least when I'm on duty!

Corporal - assume longhopmerchant will be spending a few days in the glasshouse Very Happy

Once Hyphen had put his 8 overs in the locker, the bowling formations were then reminiscent of an old John Player League game (you, at least, should understand that Shocked ) - the 3 seamers each bowling 8 overs with two slowies making up 8 overs between them. We would probably have been better off today with the Brain replacing Dernbach for a couple of overs at the end although such a decision might have created unwelcome repercussions.

I guess Spriegel might have bowled if Hyphen's early overs had proved expensive, However, that wasn't the case and Spriegel never got a look in with the ball. Batting wise, Spriegel brought some useful stability to the middle order although he never gave the impression that he could up the run rate in the later overs. He probably got out around the right time! He also fielded well as mentioned earlier.

Chichester - a warm welcome from me although it sounds like you had a liquid one from the Corporal last week Wink Hope you'll stick around on the Surrey threads.

Guildfordbat, many thanks for the welcome! - much appreciated.... I had a missspent youth spending a lot of my time with the Corporal at the Oval travelling up on the 185 bus from deepest se London! Happy memories of seeing John Edrich & Micky Edwards open, then Micky Stewart, Younis Ahmed, the sadly departed Roope, Storey, Intikab Alam, Jackman, Arnold, Long & Pat Pocock... with a batting line up like that, always a chance of a few sixes out the ground or into the pavillion! & then a few late wickets from Geoff Arnold & Robin Jackman... happy days but enough reminiscing from me for one night... although live in Sussex, my heart is definitely with Surrey - no turning traitor from me!! - A life long Surrey fan, despite the travails of recent seasons!

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 25 Jul 2011, 10:56 pm

Chichester - lovely post, wonderful memories.

To throw in a bit of sporting trivia, ''the sadly departed Roope'' also played in goal for Woking FC. The football club is situated near to the Woking salt mines where, as the Corporal knows, I try to eke out a living ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 26 Jul 2011, 12:38 am

The sadly departed Roope was one of the best slip fielders of his generation.

For the purposes of heckling (sorry, offering words of encouragement) he had a particularly satisfying sounding name ....

We may complain about Surrey's bowling attack from time to time, but I remember attending a cc match when Roope opened the bowling for Surrey. He may have been a tad better than, say, Jonathan Trott, but he was definitely very much a back up bowler.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Tue 26 Jul 2011, 7:12 pm

Indeed, the corporal may remember games of Subuteo Cricket over the summer holidays, with the full surry team out in force... Anyone whose played that game may remember, it was virtually impossible to score anything other than a 4 or a 6... a bit like Intikhab Alam's batting....He was my favourite batsman but we had to be very patient as i think he used to come in around 7 or 8... still always worth the wait if he was on fire... which wasn't always the case!... Guildfordbat, many thanks for the sporting trivia about Roope... I had no idea he played in goal for Woking... obviously a very talented sportman...Corporal, I have a sneaking feeling that when Roope played for England (which I think he did atleast once & maybe more, did he not drop a catch in the slips which was very ironic as , as you so rightly say, he was one fo the best slip fielders in his generation...

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 27 Jul 2011, 10:36 pm

Roope played a few times for England - I think he had a few good starts without really capitalising. Yes he dropped a catch, though I think he caught a few as well....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 27 Jul 2011, 10:43 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Roope played a few times for England - I think he had a few good starts without really capitalising. Yes he dropped a catch, though I think he caught a few as well....

That's my memory as well. I would also go so far as to say that Roope was one of the best slip fielders of any generation ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 27 Jul 2011, 10:53 pm

chichestersurryfan wrote:Indeed, the corporal may remember games of Subuteo Cricket over the summer holidays, with the full surry team out in force... Anyone whose played that game may remember, it was virtually impossible to score anything other than a 4 or a 6... a bit like Intikhab Alam's batting....He was my favourite batsman but we had to be very patient as i think he used to come in around 7 or 8... still always worth the wait if he was on fire... which wasn't always the case!... Guildfordbat, many thanks for the sporting trivia about Roope... I had no idea he played in goal for Woking... obviously a very talented sportman...Corporal, I have a sneaking feeling that when Roope played for England (which I think he did atleast once & maybe more, did he not drop a catch in the slips which was very ironic as , as you so rightly say, he was one fo the best slip fielders in his generation...

Corporal - when we hold our first 606 v2 end of season awards, we must ensure that there is a category of great distinction to reward Chichester for reviving memories of ''Subuteo Cricket over the summer holidays''. Wonderful! clap clap clap

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 27 Jul 2011, 11:02 pm

Indeed Guildford - and my current barracks are only a brisk hour's march from the former Subuteo factory site.

There was one other fundamental flaw with the cricket version which was that the wicket would tend to collapse several times an over irrespective of whether the stumps had actually been hit.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Wed 27 Jul 2011, 11:43 pm

Guildfordbat, I'm glad to have revived memories of subuteo cricket for you Very Happy The only time I ever got excited about ironing was when my mum ironed the green baize before we pinned it to the dining room table... then out with the wickets, boundary fencing & field placing & the red longhandled plastic bat! The Corporal is absolutely right, the wickets would collapse for no apparent reason & it was nigh on impossible to keep the bails on! I was intrigued to learn that the Corporal is only a brisk hours march to the former factory site....

At this point, I apologise for having completely disgressed from this Surrey vs Warwickshire topic having embarked on this trip down memory lane! - I hope I won't get banned from the site for this as I'm really enjoying first first venture into this Forum...I'm heading west tomorrow for a few days camping in dorset so will be relying on my trusty roberts radio to keep in touch with the scores... I don't think I could persuade the wife to do a 100mile detour to take in a day's cricket at Cheltenham!

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed 27 Jul 2011, 11:56 pm

Subbuteo cricket - there's a blast from the past! My brother and I whiled away many an hour playing that and the footy and, rare as rocking horse whotsit, subbuteo rugby!
Pride of place on my sideboard is my Subbuteo World Cup runners up shield from 1974!!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next