The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

fury has seen sense

+9
razzaq
JDandfries
coxy0001
Union Cane
88Chris05
Scottrf
ONETWOFOREVER
Rowley
eddyfightfan
13 posters

Go down

fury has seen sense Empty fury has seen sense

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 25 Jul 2011, 11:32 am

not many people gave fury much of a chance (myself included) against chisora, questioned his heart, commitment and his conditioning. but he proved me wrong and came into the ring lighter and seemed more focused. he took some punishment early on but sucked it up and put in a great effort to take the win.

i never was keen on fury, i didn't like the fact that a boxer so young could be so out of shape. i also didn't like the fact that one minute he was ready for haye and klitchsho and the next he was saying he isnt at that level yet. but seeing his performance and obvious effort he put into training to get in decent condition for the fight he has grown on me, and i've changed my tune.

he is now saying that he isn't looking for a title shot against wlad, wise move imo, and is looking to go for the irish title (which he is fully eligble to fight for) against martin rogan (known best for his KO of harrison), before making a defence of his british title. david price knocked out dallas in a title fight eliminator so it could be likely that those two will face each other somewhere not too far down the line, and should be another good domestic bust up- both men are massive, decent power, price's chin is untested, but he seems to have slightly better boxing skills.

before the weekend i would have tipped price for the win over fury, and probably still favour him slightly, but if fury can come into the ring with the same amount of improvement as he did for the chisora fight then i would probably be swayed towards him. as for rogan, should be an easier night than chisora and expect a mid rounds KO from fury.

i'd like to see fury fight at least another 9-10 fight before challenging for a world title, he is only 23 and still has a few tough challenges at domestic level. he also stated a longer term plan is to challenge alexander dimitrenko for the european title.

opinions and predictions?

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

fury has seen sense Empty Re: fury has seen sense

Post by Rowley Mon 25 Jul 2011, 11:35 am

Eddy like you am warming to Fury, was equally as critical of his conditioning but he seems to have made a genuine effort to improve on this score, although sharing a ring with Chisora Butterbean would have looked in decent shape. For me Price would be a decent fight, for me they look the two best domestically and so the fight seems a natural. Here's hoping Fury can build on a decent win and continue to develop because he seems a decent enough guy and in terms of his conditioning and in ring abilities seems finally to be knuckling down and putting the graft in, so fair play to the kid.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 25 Jul 2011, 11:38 am

He should go for Wlad. How stuid is he? He cant loose, if Wlad is offering the fight he should take it because if he wins he is champ, if he looses but puts in a good show, his stock rises. As long as he does not get blown away in the first second then what is there to worry about. Boxing is about big fights.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 25 Jul 2011, 11:40 am

Very stuid, but I think he would loose.

Wasn't impressed, sloppy, weak punching, clueless when Chisora applied pressure. Doesn't use his size that well or control the ring. Nowhere near ready for Wlad and never will be.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 25 Jul 2011, 11:41 am

There was a fair amount to applaud in Fury's performance on saturday night, but I do take a little bit of issue with one or two of your points, though I'll stress that it's a very good article, mate.

First off, Fury's supposed new focus. The way he was clowing around in the ring for so much of the fight and playing to the crowd doesn't suggest a fully focused fighter, to me. He needs to cut that out sooner rather than later, which goes without saying, really. And while his stamina was much improved, it's clear that he can still afford to shed a little more weight. He may be 6'9" tall, but he's no Hercules. Fury is relatively lean and could do with slimming down further if he has any serious ambitions of making it to the highest level, though at twenty-two / twenty-three he still has time to take care of that.

Like you, I'm glad that he's cooled the talk of taking on Klitschko - saturday only confirmed even more that he'd be like a lamb going to the slaughter. He should earn his Lonsdale belt outright and target Dimitrenko later on before two or three fights at European level. That would give him an extra five or six fights, some invaluable experience and, if his conditioning continues to improve, might just get him ready for a tilt at whoever the division's top man is by 2013.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 25 Jul 2011, 11:41 am

Got to disagree onetwo. I have no real problem with a fighter picking up a loss if there is a chance he will learn something from it but for me at the minute all Fury would learn in with Wlad is how far off world level he is, which in terms of confidence or self belief is not a lesson he really needs to learn. Think with an attractive domestic fight against Price out there and potentially Perez should he pick up some profile there is enough to keep him busy and improve him without running before he can walk

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 25 Jul 2011, 11:43 am

Scottrf wrote:Very stuid, but I think he would loose.

Wasn't impressed, sloppy, weak punching, clueless when Chisora applied pressure. Doesn't use his size that well or control the ring. Nowhere near ready for Wlad and never will be.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He is not ready for Wlad but he has the chance to make big money and challange for the title.

ps its stupid not stuid.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 25 Jul 2011, 11:43 am

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:
Scottrf wrote:Very stuid, but I think he would loose.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He is not ready for Wlad but he has the chance to make big money and challange for the title.

ps its stupid not stuid.
!!

Oh dear...

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Mon 25 Jul 2011, 11:44 am

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:ps its stupid not stuid.

Yeah, don't be stuid Scott.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 25 Jul 2011, 11:45 am

Was loath to get into the whole English thing because I think the mods are close to getting bored with it but it is lose not loose. Loose is the opposite of tight.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Mon 25 Jul 2011, 11:46 am

Wouldn't actually be too surprised if he doesn't fight Haye to be honest. Haye might take the view that the winner from Saturdays fight was in line to fight Wlad and so hijack that fight and set himself up for a rematch/go for Vitali.

Would like to see him in with Arreola or something before i pass proper comment on Fury, lets not forget that Chisora came in almost a stone above his heaviest weight. Didn't carry it too badly but was obviously blowing badly by the middle point.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Mon 25 Jul 2011, 11:58 am

Don't think we will see Haye fighting again, and if he does, it won't be someone of Fury's level - he got enough stick (quite rightly) for fighting Audley.

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by razzaq Mon 25 Jul 2011, 11:59 am

Not seen much talk about the quality of Fury's chin? Took a hell of a lot of big hits early on. I believe he is the fighter to get through Wladimir's jab. Once inside he's one of 2 maybe 3 Heavies out there who will be able to out muscle the champ.

Loved the Jesus T Shirt. Cracking post fight interview.

razzaq

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 25 Jul 2011, 12:01 pm

razzaq wrote:Not seen much talk about the quality of Fury's chin? Took a hell of a lot of big hits early on. I believe he is the fighter to get through Wladimir's jab. Once inside he's one of 2 maybe 3 Heavies out there who will be able to out muscle the champ.

Loved the Jesus T Shirt. Cracking post fight interview.

Doesn't he have something like a four-inch reach advantage over Wlad? Surely he'd be better off honing his jab to take advantage of his orang-utan arms.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by d260005p Mon 25 Jul 2011, 12:03 pm

coxy0001 wrote:Wouldn't actually be too surprised if he doesn't fight Haye to be honest. Haye might take the view that the winner from Saturdays fight was in line to fight Wlad and so hijack that fight and set himself up for a rematch/go for Vitali.

Would like to see him in with Arreola or something before i pass proper comment on Fury, lets not forget that Chisora came in almost a stone above his heaviest weight. Didn't carry it too badly but was obviously blowing badly by the middle point.

Hey Coxy, couldnt agree more mate. Think although Fury looked a bit better then i was expecting, Chisora did come in at his heaviest weight and i still feel that had he been in good shape IE. Sexton and Williams, then he would have got him out of there.

d260005p

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Mon 25 Jul 2011, 12:04 pm

Reserve the right to hold judgement on Fury as he was fighting a blob. At least he really wanted it and did his training in the gym unlike his opponent who did his training in Greggs.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by razzaq Mon 25 Jul 2011, 12:06 pm

[quote="BALTIMORA"]
razzaq wrote:

Doesn't he have something like a four-inch reach advantage over Wlad? Surely he'd be better off honing his jab to take advantage of his orang-utan arms.

I don't think he is good enough technically to outbox or out jab Wladimir from the outside and bearing in mind any fight would be in Germany, I wouldn't recommend leaving it to the judges. I think he could rattle Wladimir with his physical presence.

razzaq

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 25 Jul 2011, 12:07 pm

To be honest all this talk of Wlad is just an indication of how bereft the heavyweight locker is at the minute. As Chris has said there was much to admire in Fury's work Saturday but it was hardly Calzaghe Lacy, it was a clear win over a massively overweight opponent and even this was acheived with some sticky moments to overcome.

At the minute Fury has not proved he can maintain his improved conditioning or more realistically improve it further because he was far from ripped or Jeffries like in his stamina. Has also yet to really prove he can utilise his freakish reach which in reality should be his best asset. Don't want to be too critical because he showed improvement but lets all just slow down a bit. Fortunately does appear Hennessy realises this as well. Would be easy given so many have left his camp recently to go chasing the big bucks and profile this fight would provide, but feel the prudent approach is better long term.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Mon 25 Jul 2011, 12:08 pm

Was it me or did Chisora just not seem that interested? After the stunt with the entrance music I thought we were in for a real tear up, but all we ended up with from Dereck was a poor impersonation of the rope-a-dope technique, without the all important bit at the end.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Mon 25 Jul 2011, 12:10 pm

did his training in the gym unlike his opponent who did his training in Greggs.

Take it back. Gregg's is full of nutrional goodness. I mean how can a BLT followed by sausage roll and the quite simply orgasmic sausage and bean slice be bad for you!??!?!??!

Diet of champions

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Mon 25 Jul 2011, 12:15 pm

coxy0001 wrote:
did his training in the gym unlike his opponent who did his training in Greggs.

Take it back. Gregg's is full of nutrional goodness. I mean how can a BLT followed by sausage roll and the quite simply orgasmic sausage and bean slice be bad for you!??!?!??!

Diet of champions

I agree the sausage and bean is a slice of magic. That followed by a pepperoni pizza provides a heavenly lunch. Maybe Derek should have mixed things up a bit in training and gone more for the ham and cheese and tandoori chicken bloomers now and then.

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 25 Jul 2011, 12:30 pm

chisora did come in overweight, but he did still come to fight, think he gave to much in the opening rounds and blow out earlier. dont know what all the show boating was about, but they were both doing it, he's still young though and if this fight had happened with fury in the same condition as his last fight he would have lost. if he can deicate himself he can go far, wlad isnt the most gifted fighter, but he uses his natural advantage well and trains hard and is the best he can possiblly be.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon 25 Jul 2011, 12:38 pm

I think the disadvantages could outweigh the advantages in a fight with Wlad, sure it could be a win win situation, but there's also a chance he could get seriously hurt or take a severe beating that he won't come back from. It's a serious mismatch as the Chisora fight would have been, i thought he would have went for it but it seems he does have something inside that head.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Mon 25 Jul 2011, 12:42 pm

Think Fury will be held back anyways he won't take the fight for all the tea and china and given that Wlad offers pitiful contracts then he won't even be tempted.

Expect Fury to fight 7-8 fights for British, Irish, European honours and maybe a silly belt like the WBF before he even dreams of taking on the Klits. By the time he's ready at least one of the brothers are likely to be retired if not both. OK

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 25 Jul 2011, 12:53 pm

i think wlad will have the same longitivty as his brother, so he will be about for a while, vitali and haye will probably be gone by the time fury is even looking like he's ready so there is no rush for fury, all he will gain is huge amount of cash, but i think fury shouldnt fight him, he will likely earn enough in his career, and a KO to wlad will just put the defeat on his record and shake his confidence. i'd echo super boons comments and say 7-8 domestic/euro/irish fights first, if he can fight 4-5 times a year as well it would help get him established, especially if channel 5 decide to follow the british title.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down