The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which superpower would be most useful as a tennis player?

+5
laverfan
newballs
noleisthebest
socal1976
Chazfazzer
9 posters

Go down

Which superpower would be most useful as a tennis player? Empty Which superpower would be most useful as a tennis player?

Post by Chazfazzer Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:28 am

I'm a bit bored of this Djokovic-Hewitt malarky (and of writing my dissertation), so I thought I'd pose the important question above. A few examples I thought of:

Super speed - you'd be like an enhanced version of Djokovic, running everything down. Trouble is, I don't know whether you'd be able to slow down and position yourself in time to hit an accurate shot, or if you'd just go speeding past the ball and into the stands. Also, tennis involves short distance sprints, so unless you had super acceleration as well I'm not sure how much of an advantage this would give you.

Super strength - while the ability to heat 300mph serves would prove advantageous in the early stages, I think it could prove detrimental in the long run. Firstly, you'd need to take about 50 racquets onto court with you every match to account for all the string breakages. Secondly, I'm not sure the balls could handle being hit at nearly half the speed of sound (or more, depending on how 'super' your strength is), and you'd have to place your shots accurately to avoid putting one through the centre of a line judge's chest. I can see this superpower giving you a one way ticket to a jail cell to be honest.

Aquaman's powers - useful at Wimbledon.

Invisibility - the ability to stealthily sneak up to net would be quite useful, although this power might be disqualified as calling foot faults would be a bit tricky. Also, you'd have to find yourself an invisible racquet, or risk giving the game away, so to speak.

What does everyone think?

Chazfazzer

Back to top Go down

Which superpower would be most useful as a tennis player? Empty Re: Which superpower would be most useful as a tennis player?

Post by socal1976 Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:32 am

I would go with being able to kill your opponent with laser beams from your eyes. Ok maybe that wouldn't be any fun, I go with superspeed. In modern sport speed kills.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Which superpower would be most useful as a tennis player? Empty Re: Which superpower would be most useful as a tennis player?

Post by Guest Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:52 am

Super bum picking..

Then again I think that already exists.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:55 am

Or ...

flying. You could serve and volley all day and never be passed or lobbed.

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:57 am

Nothing beats the brains...

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:06 am

Thor - if you substitute his hammer with a racket he'd hit the ball pretty hard. Technique might let him down somewhat though.

The Hulk would be pretty good though if he started as Bruce Banner his pants might rip when he gets angry with Djokovic or Nadal for time wasting.

Superman would just look plain stupid with his underpants outside his shorts and would definitely run foul of the Wimbledon all white rule.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:26 am

How about Harry Potter (Expelliarmus) and the Magic Wand at Wimbledon or Diagon Alley? He could win every point by just knocking out the opponent's racquet out of their hands. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:36 am

I was going to say Russia, but they're not a superpower any more.

So maybe China would be more accurate, but it still doesn't make the question any clearer for me ?? Whistle

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:38 am

Jubbahey wrote:I was going to say Russia, but they're not a superpower any more.

So maybe China would be more accurate, but it still doesn't make the question any clearer for me ?? Whistle

Laugh I was thinkig exactly the same 5 mins ago, USA or USSR?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:43 am

Ah, if the question were "Which useful player would make a superpower"

You could boil it down to a handful of players and my choice would be Federer = Ottoman Empire eg: for years they just didn't lose anything.

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:45 am

Hey Jubba, looking forward to your birthday from the Queen any time soon Wink ?

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:05 am

How'd you know my grand-dad was that way inclined ?

Tch! is nothing sacred any more.

Oh, you mean that "Queen", why would I get one from her, I'm 36 yrs old, or was that my chest size, god, I can't remember, my memory ain't what it used to be, wasn't that a song ? oh I know, its 8 'o' clock.

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:14 am

Jubbahey wrote:How'd you know my grand-dad was that way inclined ?

Tch! is nothing sacred any more.

Oh, you mean that "Queen", why would I get one from her, I'm 36 yrs old, or was that my chest size, god, I can't remember, my memory ain't what it used to be, wasn't that a song ? oh I know, its 8 'o' clock.

Whatever you do, don't put the dentures in the pimms and the glasses in the fridge!

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:34 am

LOL, its funnier cos its true.

Now where did I put that catheter ?

Oh yes, here it is, the crazy straw in the Pimms !

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:31 am

Jubbahey wrote:LOL, its funnier cos its true.

Now where did I put that catheter ?

Oh yes, here it is, the crazy straw in the Pimms !

That poor cat of yours looks a bit "out of it" at the moment....

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:12 pm

laverfan wrote:How about Harry Potter (Expelliarmus) and the Magic Wand at Wimbledon or Diagon Alley? He could win every point by just knocking out the opponent's racquet out of their hands. Wink

I think 'confundus' or whatever the Potterish spell was could be a useful super tool - get your opponent totally flumoxed about where in the court the ball was going to land Very Happy

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:20 pm

The best power if you want it to look like a real match would be that of Professor Charles Xavier, or Professor X as he was imaginatively named by Stan Lee in the 60's.

He would know exactly where every shot was going; he'd pick every service and wrong foot his opponent constantly. And that's without needing to go into his head and make him bark like a dog.

In fact, in the early X-Men comics it was shown that Charles Xavier was an excellent athlete, aided by the ability to know exactly when to put a kick in to confound his competitors.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:43 pm

Probably the power to cause self injury and to recover instantly would by impressively useful Whistle
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:07 pm

Laugh

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by zx1234 Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:10 am

the ability to move things with your mind, i think it is called telekenesis

zx1234

http://www.footballbetting365.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down