The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

surrey vs gloucestershire county Championship division 2

+6
thegooch7
jbd349
davidjennings
Carrotdude
Tibor
jimbobgooner
10 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

surrey vs gloucestershire county Championship division 2  - Page 2 Empty surrey vs gloucestershire county Championship division 2

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 26 Jul 2011, 11:42 am

First topic message reminder :

Chris Adams has named an unchanged squad for Surrey's visit to Cheltenham to face Gloucestershire in the LV= County Championship match, beginning on Wednesday
The full Surrey squad to face Gloucestershire in the LV= County Championship at Cheltenham from Wednesday 27th July to Saturday 30th July is
Rory Hamilton-Brown (Captain)
Arun Harinath
Jason Roy
Mark Ramprakash
Zander de Bruyn
Steven Davies (Wicket Keeper)
Tom Maynard
Zafar Ansari
Gareth Batty
Yasir Arafat
Stuart Meaker
Tim Linley
Jade Dernbach

Last edited by jimbobgooner on Sun 31 Jul 2011, 2:24 am; edited 1 time in total

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

surrey vs gloucestershire county Championship division 2  - Page 2 Empty Re: surrey vs gloucestershire county Championship division 2

Post by Carrotdude Wed 27 Jul 2011, 7:27 pm

I would have preferred to have the same team as last time in this match but out of those that we have chosen I would say Davies is about the best option. I know he may not ideally want to be there but he has hardly been amazing coming in at 5/6 so far this season. Roy needs to be down the order more than him atm I would say.

As for the bowling effort, I would have taken keeping them to under 300 after they chose to bat although it is a shame to have once again allowed them to get too many after the first 5 wickets. Viscount continues to be fantastic and great to see Arafat come in and prove that he is capable of taking wickets, I think he needed to show some quality after some dreadful all round performances in the T20. I didn't know about Ansari's injury but I don't think he would have bowled much anyway, agree with guildford about The Brain bowling a few too many overs in the circumstances but it's hard to say without being there/listening to the whole day.

Hopefully we won't fold as pathetically as we did first innings at Guildford!

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

surrey vs gloucestershire county Championship division 2  - Page 2 Empty Re: surrey vs gloucestershire county Championship division 2

Post by Carrotdude Wed 27 Jul 2011, 9:19 pm

Dernbach saying on Twitter it's the best Surrey have bowled all year, must think it's a good batting pitch then, what did Church say about it?

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Tibor Wed 27 Jul 2011, 9:45 pm

Carrotdude, Churchy was saying much the same thing, especially regarding the afternoon session. He sounded very impressed live. (Although I wasn't listening for the evening sesson when things went a bit off).

Apparently the wicket is like last seasons at the Oval (ie. Flat), and that Arafat and Dernbach in particular bowled with control and patience to create the pressure that ultimately got the wickets.

Tibor

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 27 Jul 2011, 10:22 pm

Certainly a plus that Dernbach had much better economy rate than either he or Meaker have managed recently. Sounds like it was a good call to pick Arafat who seems finally to be delivering as was hoped for.

Well done too yet again to the Viscount clap Sounds like we took several good catches, including one from le Roi. king

Gloucs have been bowling quite well recently so we'll need to avoid throwing wickets away with careless shots.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Tibor Wed 27 Jul 2011, 10:31 pm

'Careless shots' - Don't worry, Hamilton-Brown and Davies are batting... Rolling Eyes

Tibor

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 27 Jul 2011, 10:34 pm

Tibor wrote:'Careless shots' - Don't worry, Hamilton-Brown and Davies are batting... Rolling Eyes

Quite! Whistle

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Tibor Thu 28 Jul 2011, 11:55 am

RHB gone, bowled while looking for a 'big big booming drive' according to Churchy.

Just when I was thinking how well we'd played so far this morning!

Tibor

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Thu 28 Jul 2011, 12:00 pm

I suppose that's how Hyphen bats - a bit irresponsible though
Expecting Ramps and the Brain to fill their boots on this pitch today. We should be getting 400+ with this batting line up!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 28 Jul 2011, 12:04 pm

thegooch7 wrote:I suppose that's how Hyphen bats - a bit irresponsible though
Expecting Ramps and the Brain to fill their boots on this pitch today. We should be getting 400+ with this batting line up!
🤦

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Thu 28 Jul 2011, 12:14 pm

and now Davies is out bowled!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 28 Jul 2011, 12:17 pm

is jade dernbach playing?

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 28 Jul 2011, 12:20 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:is jade dernbach playing?
yes cricketfan he got 1 wkt in the 1st innings

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Tibor Thu 28 Jul 2011, 12:21 pm

But he supposedly bowled better than his figures suggest. Creating the pressure that led to the wickets.

Last edited by Tibor on Thu 28 Jul 2011, 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tibor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 28 Jul 2011, 12:24 pm

lol sorry another question...

what is steve Davies's form like this season?

cos i felt he was harshly dropped from england side

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 28 Jul 2011, 12:29 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:lol sorry another question...

what is steve Davies's form like this season?

cos i felt he was harshly dropped from england side
to be honest it has been pretty poor only 3 fifties in the county championship
i do think getting dropped from england has effected him.
but we all know the real reason he was dropped from england if were honest

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Tibor Thu 28 Jul 2011, 12:30 pm

Not great it must be said, despite a few really good T20 scores at each end of the T20 schedule.

But that doesn't take away from the fact that he was definitely harshly dropped, which may have had an impact on his form.

I'm worried for his chances now, as the selectors probably won't bring him back anytime soon, it could look like they are admitting a mistake if they do. Although Kieswetter performed admirably against Sri Lanka anyway.

Tibor

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 28 Jul 2011, 12:35 pm

good luck to the brain today he only needs 49 runs to reach the 1,000 mark.

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Tibor Thu 28 Jul 2011, 12:37 pm

This Will Gidman chap looks a more than useful cricketer.

Batting average of high 40s, and bowling average of 22ish.

Must have been a late bloomer, having only played 12 FC matches at the age of 26.

Tibor

Back to top Go down

Post by davidjennings Thu 28 Jul 2011, 1:02 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:

Forgive me if I'm being naive, but your veiled comment makes me wonder if you think it was a case of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ooi-ah73aC4 Would be sad, if true. (Apologies if I'm misinterpreting you.)

davidjennings

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 28 Jul 2011, 1:13 pm

davidjennings wrote:
jimbobgooner wrote:

Forgive me if I'm being naive, but your veiled comment makes me wonder if you think it was a case of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ooi-ah73aC4 Would be sad, if true. (Apologies if I'm misinterpreting you.)
no david your not misinterperting me.
davies had done nothing wrong on that tour of australia then as soon as he annouced his sexuality he was strangly removed from the team and prior was brought in. i just dont buy that david.

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 28 Jul 2011, 1:14 pm

103 for 2 at lunch

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 28 Jul 2011, 1:33 pm

Haven't had a chance to listen to Churchy today nor even follow the score until now. However, looks like a sensible and steady start by Surrey with the bat.

IF (big ''if'') we can win the next session and get to tea on something like 225 - 3, we should go on to win the match ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Tibor Thu 28 Jul 2011, 2:03 pm

Have to say that I agree with you regarding Davies, jimbob.

Flower for one does not strike me as a modern, accepting man.

Sad but probably true.

Tibor

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 28 Jul 2011, 2:24 pm

50 for the brain and 1,000 runs for the season clap clap clap clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by davidjennings Thu 28 Jul 2011, 2:29 pm

Thanks for the reply, Jimbob. Obviously the people at the top of the game in this country ought to know a hell of lot better than to allow such small-mindedness into their deliberations. Shame on them if they don't.

Meanwhile back to the game, congratulations to The Brain on being first to 1,000 runs in the championship for Surrey. Without him and the contributions of Wine Gums (737 runs at 46), another new signing, our batting this season would look pretty sad.

davidjennings

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 28 Jul 2011, 2:35 pm

i just saw that zander has passed 1000 runs for the season, im suprsied about that, but how has he done with the ball?

Back to top Go down

Post by Tibor Thu 28 Jul 2011, 2:37 pm

david, we can only have hoped that RHB and Roy would have performed better if not forced to open. But I agree, De Bruyn has been our rock this season, hope we can resign him next year.

Tibor

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 28 Jul 2011, 2:40 pm

the brain out for 60 Crying or Very sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 28 Jul 2011, 2:45 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:i just saw that zander has passed 1000 runs for the season, im suprsied about that, but how has he done with the ball?
10 wkts at 32

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by davidjennings Thu 28 Jul 2011, 2:57 pm

Anyone get the feeling Ramps is saying to himself "there's no bloody way I'm going to let 1st August roll around without a ton to my name"?

Not saying he'll make it of course, and definitely not trying to jinx him Whistle

davidjennings

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 28 Jul 2011, 2:59 pm

davidjennings wrote:Anyone get the feeling Ramps is saying to himself "there's no bloody way I'm going to let 1st August roll around without a ton to my name"?

Not saying he'll make it of course, and definitely not trying to jinx him Whistle
same here david everything crossed he can get a ton Very Happy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 28 Jul 2011, 3:09 pm

Quick look at the old scoreboard and the comments from you guys.

Very well done the Brain on his 1,000 runs. clap clap clap

Have the same feelings as David abour Ramps grinding himself out a ton - do hope so.

With regard to Davies' exclusion from the England set up - whilst it does appear to stink of prejudice, you should never rule out plain incompetence from the selectors!

Last edited by guildfordbat on Thu 28 Jul 2011, 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 28 Jul 2011, 3:15 pm

wine gums out Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 28 Jul 2011, 3:40 pm

50 for ramps clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 28 Jul 2011, 3:48 pm

roy not hanging around 33* off 22 balls

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 28 Jul 2011, 3:49 pm

right on cue middle stump uprooted Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by simsini Thu 28 Jul 2011, 3:55 pm

Afternoon everyone. Posted before on BBC 606, but first time here. Very Happy

I am very concerned over Jason Roy's form and am surprised that Adams et al have not told him to stop slogging in the four day game. Playing like this he will get a few runs like today, but will never get the big scores that his talent is capable of.

simsini

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Thu 28 Jul 2011, 4:14 pm

248-6 at tea, a rather disappointing response, but if Nora and Ara can hang around with Ramps, we could yet get a handy lead...................saying that, we could also be 260ao just after tea!!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 28 Jul 2011, 4:20 pm

simsini wrote:Afternoon everyone. Posted before on BBC 606, but first time here. Very Happy

I am very concerned over Jason Roy's form and am surprised that Adams et al have not told him to stop slogging in the four day game. Playing like this he will get a few runs like today, but will never get the big scores that his talent is capable of.
hi simsini wellcome aboard the surrey madhouse Very Happy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by davidjennings Thu 28 Jul 2011, 4:28 pm

simsini wrote:I am very concerned over Jason Roy's form and am surprised that Adams et al have not told him to stop slogging in the four day game. Playing like this he will get a few runs like today, but will never get the big scores that his talent is capable of.

Welcome, simsini - I'm only an occasional poster here, but today I have an important deadline, so this is really helping with my procrastination...

My hunch is that Adams is actually playing the opposite game and giving Roy licence to develop his natural talent with minimal constraint. Hence moving him from opening, which requires discipline, to 6 or 7 where you expect to have someone who is ready to take everything on.

Of course, I could be completely wrong about this. So could Adams. Rolling Eyes

davidjennings

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 28 Jul 2011, 4:28 pm

thegooch7 wrote:248-6 at tea, a rather disappointing response, but if Nora and Ara can hang around with Ramps, we could yet get a handy lead...................saying that, we could also be 260ao just after tea!!
its the only way ramps can to get to a ton if those 2 stay in

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 28 Jul 2011, 4:47 pm

nora gone Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Thu 28 Jul 2011, 4:58 pm

Come on then Yas, get Ramps past his ton

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 28 Jul 2011, 5:03 pm

surrey take the lead clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by davidjennings Thu 28 Jul 2011, 5:04 pm

Hmmm, if our bowling yesterday really was as good as Dernbach seemed to think, and it was an achievement to restrict Glos to 286, then we really need a lead of 100+ on first innings -- on the basis that (a) we might not bowl so well in the second innings! and (b) we have to bat last.

Can't see a draw out of this game with 17 wickets having fallen by tea on day 2.

Equally, a lead of 100+ looks optimistic from here.

If we don't get a good lead, and lose, then not only would that effectively rule out any small remaining chance of being in the frame for promotion, but two championship losses on the bounce might affect morale -- even possibly having an effect on CB40 progress.

There's my dose of cold tea for everyone this afternoon!

davidjennings

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 28 Jul 2011, 5:08 pm

davidjennings wrote:Hmmm, if our bowling yesterday really was as good as Dernbach seemed to think, and it was an achievement to restrict Glos to 286, then we really need a lead of 100+ on first innings -- on the basis that (a) we might not bowl so well in the second innings! and (b) we have to bat last.

Can't see a draw out of this game with 17 wickets having fallen by tea on day 2.

Equally, a lead of 100+ looks optimistic from here.

If we don't get a good lead, and lose, then not only would that effectively rule out any small remaining chance of being in the frame for promotion, but two championship losses on the bounce might affect morale -- even possibly having an effect on CB40 progress.

There's my dose of cold tea for everyone this afternoon!
david you could be right but the fact we bounced back to beat warwickshire after the middlesex debacle gives me hope that this team do still have some backbone.

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by davidjennings Thu 28 Jul 2011, 5:09 pm

Well done, Gramps, make it a big one, please.

davidjennings

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu 28 Jul 2011, 5:10 pm

100 for ramps clap clap clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 28 Jul 2011, 5:13 pm

OK

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Tibor Thu 28 Jul 2011, 5:19 pm

Can't believe this wonderkid Ramprakash was left out of the lions squad! Shocked

Tibor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next