The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mayweather vs Ortiz Face Off

+19
Imperial Ghosty
The Pugilist
AlexHuckerby
az1988
C'mon You Irish
ONETWOFOREVER
Fists of Fury
Twitchey
John Bloody Wayne
Daz
Sugar Boy Sweetie
OasisBFC
paperbag_puncher
Seanusarrilius
The Galveston Giant
BALTIMORA
No1Jonesy
Valero's Conscience
Scottrf
23 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Mayweather vs Ortiz Face Off - Page 2 Empty Mayweather vs Ortiz Face Off

Post by Scottrf Thu 28 Jul 2011, 7:31 am

First topic message reminder :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIaQD4QJhso

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Mayweather vs Ortiz Face Off - Page 2 Empty Re: Mayweather vs Ortiz Face Off

Post by Fists of Fury Sun 07 Aug 2011, 11:35 pm

That was a scarily masterful performance. As brave and tough as Gatti was, he was seriously, horribly out of his depth in that fight.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 07 Aug 2011, 11:37 pm

Let's not forget he might want longevity and perhaps he feels that being inactive but staying in shape is keeping him in the game for longer... Also I actually think Floyd is better than Pernell and by a bit too in honesty...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 07 Aug 2011, 11:38 pm

That fight for me put into perspective the Gatti/Ward wars for me, as fast paced and thrilling as they were it was between two b/c level fighters which takes some of the lustre away.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Sun 07 Aug 2011, 11:39 pm

It does, but without those kind of fights watching Floyd, a master at work, may not be quite so special.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 07 Aug 2011, 11:39 pm

Ortiz clearly gets beaten in this "Face off" Lost the war of the words, to be honest I didn't believe Ortiz whereas I believed Floyd, he just seemed so calm and confident...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 07 Aug 2011, 11:40 pm

Woah a second there Alex, I love Floyd as much as anyone but don't think he's quite at Whitakers level yet but a win over Pacquiao would change that.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 07 Aug 2011, 11:41 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:It does, but without those kind of fights watching Floyd, a master at work, may not be quite so special.

I think that's exaclty what he is, and to be fair he puts forward a real strong arguement for himself in this video, "people say Mosley was too old but yet coming off the performance of his career, people say Marquez was too small but he called me out." I love it when he starts talking about there's no gameplan as to how to beat him aswell truly brilliant.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 07 Aug 2011, 11:42 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Woah a second there Alex, I love Floyd as much as anyone but don't think he's quite at Whitakers level yet but a win over Pacquiao would change that.

I mean in terms of a head to head, if they fought I can only see Floyd coming out as victor... I think he's the better boxer imo. Being undefeated to me means a lot too.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 07 Aug 2011, 11:45 pm

He's undefeated in record only and for me Whitaker at anywhere near his best was undefeated, ignore what the scorecards say but simply put he beat Ramirez, Chavez (draw) and De La Hoya whereas you can make an argument that Mayweather should have dropped a comfortable points decision to Castillo. Would have to back Whitaker against almost anyone with the exception of Leonard, Hearns and Robinson, he was that damm good.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 07 Aug 2011, 11:51 pm

Fair comment, can completely understand considering the man was godly inside the ring, however I think Floyd is too good for him. I would actually put Floyd up there with Leonard in terms of skill, not saying he definately beats Leonard or anything but he is round about on par with him and probably has slightly better defensive capabilties, also the Mayweather attack I think is vastly under rated, even though it is still rated highly, when he wants to go on offense the man is insanely good. I was watching the De La Hoya fight back a whiel ago, and some of the little tricks he does, God De La Hoya just looks stupid.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 07 Aug 2011, 11:55 pm

Don't consider him quite on the level of Leonard skillwise, say what you want about his matchmaking but victories over Hearns, Duran, Benitez and Hagler is insane and on a different planet to Mayweather not mention his incredible heart, superior power, size and I would say overall skill level.
Anywhere between super featherweight and light welterweight and I think Floyd matches up well against most with a few notable exceptions but against the true greats at Welterweight not sure he has the skill to overcome such monumental disadvantages.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 07 Aug 2011, 11:58 pm

No, thats why I'm not saying he would beat Leonard, but in terms of skill I think he is right there with Leonard and have him with the better defense, although I would have to say Leonard is naturally bigger and stronger so that could have a massive turn around in that fight.

I would love to see how Floyd handles guys like Duran and co. would give a real sense as to just how great he is. Say what you will about Floyd's match making but to make the guys he's fought look that average just shows me how great he is.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Sun 07 Aug 2011, 11:59 pm

I like Floyd and enjoy watching him but in a head to head with Pernell I'd be siding with Sweet Pea, the guy was something else as far as I'm concerned.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 08 Aug 2011, 12:01 am

Pernell left far more holes in his defense in comparison to Floyd and not sure if his reflexes are quite as sharp as Floyd's for me it's a 60/40 fight in Floyds favour.

It's one of those fights where really it's all about tactics and typically they're both tactical genuises with fantastic abilities to adapt, in fact jeez I just don't know HA!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 08 Aug 2011, 12:03 am

It would have to be against a Leonard, Hearns or Arguello that Mayweather proves himself against, fighters that stylistically he isn't suited for, he's done fairly well with his career but his talent deserves more and like many it's a case of what if rather than it happened. He looks good facing world level fighters like Hatton, Corrales, Castillo, Gatti and the like but unfortunately for him there's only one great fighter out there to truly prove himself against.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 08 Aug 2011, 12:07 am

Well he's said a million times now after Ortiz he's going for Manny I have a genuine feeling this time that it will happen. Whereas all the others, I never believed it was truly on. Too much money and they're running out of time.

And I don't think he just looked good facing Gatti, Corrales and Hatton... I think he was on another planet, took about 3 punches! I actually aren't sure if Gatti ever laid a finger on him ad Ricky landed a few in the first couple then just didn't get close at all whereas Corrales just didn't know what was hitting him and where.

Personally think he beats Manny and a bit easily too (Imo)

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 08 Aug 2011, 12:10 am

It is a case of the opposition allowing him to look good as well as his ability and beating the likes of Gatti and Hatton is worlds apart from beating fellow great fighters like the elite of the sport have.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 08 Aug 2011, 12:24 am

No doubt, but come on how many boxers of all time could have beaten an undefeated Hatton that easy. The fab four and a few others really, but almost everyone else he gives them a real scrap and could have even given some of the others tougher fights.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 08 Aug 2011, 8:29 am

In or around the 140-147lb divisions there is a long list of fighters who beat Hatton fairly easily especially at Welterweight where he wasn't all that special.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 08 Aug 2011, 8:10 pm

A "long" list that basically completes a shutout on Hatton... Hm, no doubt Hatton had his flaws andno doubt he's there to be outboxed but I struggle to see many boxers that would have done such an impressive job on Hatton as Floyd did...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 08 Aug 2011, 8:11 pm

Manny? Whistle ha

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 08 Aug 2011, 8:16 pm

Ha, true! Although would have to say I have never seen someone deal with a southpaw quite as ineptly as Ricky so I suppose a lot of decent Southpaws would have been in with a shout of beating Ricky...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 08 Aug 2011, 11:14 pm

At Welterweight the weight at which Mayweather beat him I could name quite a long list of fighters I could envisage doing a better job on Hatton than he did, for starters:

Robinson
Leonard
Hearns
Armstrong
Gavilan
Walker
Langford
Whitaker
Ross
Walcott
Griffiths
Napoles
Mclarnin
Britton
Lewis
Basilio
Duran
Benitez

Each in their own way would dominate Hatton who as proved by the Collazo fight wasn't anywhere near approaching being a great at Welterweight.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 08 Aug 2011, 11:16 pm

Yeah, he never did look too comfortable at the weight, he was definitely a light-welter.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 08 Aug 2011, 11:18 pm

Even at Light Welterweight Fists he's only a fringe top ten fighter who lives off a win over Tzuyu, yes he was a good fighter but he does tend to get over rated hugely based upon his popularity.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 08 Aug 2011, 11:21 pm

That's probably just about fair, top 10 light-welter, no mans land at welter.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 09 Aug 2011, 7:42 pm

Personally I don't see all of them guys doing a BETTER job than Floyd did, though no doubt would most probably beat him.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 09 Aug 2011, 7:45 pm

Not necessarily a better job i'd expect each and every one of them to comfortably beat Hatton and in a lot of cases the fight wouldn't be in the balance after 6 rounds like it was with Mayweather.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 09 Aug 2011, 7:49 pm

The fight was in the balance? Not in my eyes it was looking increasingly one sided, may have looked like that because Hatton was still charging in but Mayweather was landing the jab and right hand pretty much every time he threw it, looked like from practically round 3 onwards Ricky was in desperation mode to me.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 09 Aug 2011, 7:51 pm

You are massively overplaying the significance of a win over Hatton at Welterweight either way, as far as I could see Hatton won at least 2 of the first 4 rounds.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 09 Aug 2011, 7:55 pm

Not saying Hatton is an elite win, but still an extremely impressive one, especially given the manner of it, personally...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue 09 Aug 2011, 7:56 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:You are massively overplaying the significance of a win over Hatton at Welterweight either way, as far as I could see Hatton won at least 2 of the first 4 rounds.

And??

So did Mosley and Judah. Floyd takes a couple of rounds to settle in, that is his style. He brutally punished Hatton like he was the unwanted step-child.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 09 Aug 2011, 7:59 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Not saying Hatton is an elite win, but still an extremely impressive one, especially given the manner of it, personally...

It's a good win and was won in pretty good style but considering the circumstances it wasn't an extremely impressive one, an extremely impressive win is Durans over Leonard or Leonard over Hearns, this wasn't near that level.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 09 Aug 2011, 8:00 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:You are massively overplaying the significance of a win over Hatton at Welterweight either way, as far as I could see Hatton won at least 2 of the first 4 rounds.

And??

So did Mosley and Judah. Floyd takes a couple of rounds to settle in, that is his style. He brutally punished Hatton like he was the unwanted step-child.

Agreed, Floyd doesn't exactly go out to blast away his opponents right away, he outclasses them makes them look silly and picks them apart piece by piece until they perhaps have nothing left or just almost give up hope. I suppose you could say he's value for money, considering most of his fights nowadays will likely go the distance or into the deeper rounds or Floyd possibly gets blasted away, which I think we would all agree is worth watching.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 09 Aug 2011, 8:02 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:Not saying Hatton is an elite win, but still an extremely impressive one, especially given the manner of it, personally...

It's a good win and was won in pretty good style but considering the circumstances it wasn't an extremely impressive one, an extremely impressive win is Durans over Leonard or Leonard over Hearns, this wasn't near that level.

No doubt they are massively impressive wins, but not NEAR that level? Very harsh how many levels below it is it then!?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 09 Aug 2011, 8:04 pm

It's a good 2/3 levels below, a boxer fighting at a weight he'd previously looked poor in (Collazo) who was admittedly good but not great at his natural weight in the first place.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 09 Aug 2011, 8:06 pm

Let's not forget a couple of things also, Collazo is a southpaw, think we can agree Hatton is clueless against them, possibly another reason as to why he looked so poor against him? Possibly not just the weight...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 09 Aug 2011, 8:09 pm

Shows you the level that Hatton is at that he couldn't figure out a gatekeeper southpaw, if he was a highly impressive win for anyone don't you think he'd do better against the southpaw stance?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 09 Aug 2011, 8:16 pm

Not really everyone has weakness' to say that is very harsh, some people have difficulty with particular types of people, it's doesn't mean they're poor boxers if they just can't get themselves to grips with a particular style or whatnot.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 09 Aug 2011, 8:20 pm

Having such difficulty against a stance is something to be harsh against just like i've been harsh to many other fighters for their weaknesses, a great fighter doesn't have such glaring weaknesses like having defence or having no clue against the southpaw stance. In short a win over Hatton is nothing compared to a win over a great Welterweight which many of those I listed have done.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 09 Aug 2011, 8:27 pm

Fact is somebody is going to win the lottery against Mayweather as his constant layoffs and ring rust will cost him in the end....

Maybe Ortiz catches him right????

Though I doubt he has the defence or the skill set to beat him..

what worries me is that Manny catches a past it Floyd like he's managed to catch...Marco, Ricky, Moseley, Cotto, Marg, Morales and god knows who else...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 09 Aug 2011, 8:46 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:what worries me is that Manny catches a past it Floyd like he's managed to catch...Marco, Ricky, Moseley, Cotto, Marg, Morales and god knows who else...

That potential scenario could have been avoided had Mayweather let the governing bodies do their jobs with regards to testing and not chosen to take such long breaks in between fights. It'll be a shame if Mayweather (or Pacquiao, for that matter) is visibly on the slide by the time they fight, but to a large extent they'd have brought it on themselves.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 09 Aug 2011, 10:10 pm

I don't really think either of them are on the slide just yet personally...
Didn't see anything except a slight change in tact from Floyd against Marquez and Mosley (Being more aggressive, I think thats what he wants to start doing, I think he realises that he doesn't actually have to be quite so defensive minded... It took a while)
And Manny's win over Mosley showed me everything we already know, if you make Manny think he's gonna slow down dramatically and become slightly unstuck and not look as good same as to what Barrera did second time around. Didn't seem to have slowed down once he got going but he just didn't seem interested in the fight at all at times which was puzzling, though there was absolutely no needle whatsoever in that fight, with them both being bezzy mates and what not. 🤦 Don't think either have yet to slow down however I think we will know a little more when they both fight next. I can see Manny possibly slowing but I don't think the layoff will have affected Floyd in the slightest he is constantly in the gym.
Like I said earlier (Or possibly in another thread) I think there's a chance Floyd may want to be inactive, meaning his fights are more events because of the rarity of them and it could also prolong his career, but to be honest he's never in wars or anything and never has to take much damage if at all...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2